Saints defensive players want Rob Ryan to return as coordinator. "He's our guy."

T0mShane

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24913768/kenny-vaccaro-says-ryan-will-return-as-saints-defensive-coordinator

With the Saints out of the playoff picture and with their defense taking a large part of the blame for that disappointment, it makes sense that defensive coordinator Rob Ryan would be in danger of losing his job.

Especially since Saints coach Sean Payton and Ryan don't always seem to get along.

But if New Orleans safety Kenny Vaccaro was the man in charge of hiring and firing coordinators, Ryan would be safe.

"Rob will be here," Vaccaro told reporters, via NOLA.com.

That's a bold stand to take, considering the Saints defense ranks 31st in the NFL. And that's coming off a 2013 season in which Ryan helped the team to a No. 4 overall defense standing.

But at least a couple of his players want Ryan to return.

"I want him back," cornerback Keenan Lewis said. "I'm going to ride with him, one hundred. He's a great coordinator. You just can't blame him when things go wrong. We're the ones out there playing."

Well, somebody is going to get blamed, and as we all know, Payton can't fire a locker room full of defensive players.

As for how Ryan feels about Payton, "I'll tell you what, I don't admire many people outside of my own family. But Sean's at the top of the list," Ryan said earlier this month. "... I can't speak for him about me. Probably likes me, too. But I love him, and I respect the (expletive) out of him. But he's great people. ... He's a pilot, I'm one of them gunnery guys in the back going, 'Huh? What'd you say? Keep (expletive) shooting.'"

For now, it remains to be seen whether Payton will be the one to eject Ryan from the plane at the end of the season.

Everybody who is lazy loves to have even fatter and lazier than them bosses like the Ryan Brothers. The most overrated defensive blowhards in the game today. Give them 11 1st round draft picks on their defenses and they still can't make a crucial stop when it matters the most. They. Are. Obsolete.

Everybody who is lazy loves to have even fatter and lazier than them bosses like the Ryan Brothers. The most overrated defensive blowhards in the game today. Give them 11 1st round draft picks on their defenses and they still can't make a crucial stop when it matters the most. They. Are. Obsolete.

I'll disagree with that, and so would Tom Brady following this past Sunday. I can't speak too much about Rob but I seen Rex take a legit defense along with a mediocre offense headed with a rookie to championship games. Are they, or I should say, is Rex a head coach? No. But is he a top 5 defensive coach in this league? In 6 years with the Jets Rex proved that it wasnt because he had Lewis and Reed. 

Rex had 5 top ten defenses in 6 years, and it would have been 6 in a row if it wasnt for 30 more yards of offense it gave up than the Bills last season, though the Jets still gave up less points than them last season. In those 6 years he had 3 top 5 defenses and the #1 defense in one of those years. 

Rex Ryan can't evaluate, draft, run an offense or be an overall competent head coach, but calling him the most overrated defensive blowhard in the game simply shows your emotion as a fan, nothing more. Tuna was our best HC the past 20 years, Rex Ryan was the best defensive minded head coach this organization has probably ever had. He's simply in over his head because he's in the wrong position. 

Amen Ditto  hallelujah

Rex Ryan can't evaluate, draft, run an offense or be an overall competent head coach, but calling him the most overrated defensive blowhard in the game simply shows your emotion as a fan, nothing more. Tuna was our best HC the past 20 years, Rex Ryan was the best defensive minded head coach this organization has probably ever had. He's simply in over his head because he's in the wrong position. 

the question is who can they find that can evaluate, draft, run an offense and be an overall competent head coach. 

It sounds like you are describing 4 different full time jobs. 

I'm okay with the Saints defense continuing to suck, it'll eventually mean they blow that team up and maybe, just maybe, we have a shot at Drew Brees during the season that his small hands and shortness finally catches up with him.

I'll disagree with that, and so would Tom Brady following this past Sunday. I can't speak too much about Rob but I seen Rex take a legit defense along with a mediocre offense headed with a rookie to championship games. Are they, or I should say, is Rex a head coach? No. But is he a top 5 defensive coach in this league? In 6 years with the Jets Rex proved that it wasnt because he had Lewis and Reed.

Rex had 5 top ten defenses in 6 years, and it would have been 6 in a row if it wasnt for 30 more yards of offense it gave up than the Bills last season, though the Jets still gave up less points than them last season. In those 6 years he had 3 top 5 defenses and the #1 defense in one of those years.

well said

Seems familiar. Zero results, but super popular!

I've said it often Rex is and will be exactly like his twin when he goes back to being a Dc.  Give him a stacked pro bowl squad and he'll get a few results, give him typical d talent with a few holes on the D and he will blow, just as our Defense has this year. 

I've said it often Rex is and will be exactly like his twin when he goes back to being a Dc. Give him a stacked pro bowl squad and he'll get a few results, give him typical d talent with a few holes on the D and he will blow, just as our Defense has this year.

2 starting cornerbacks that were bagging groceries in August >>>>>few holes

But his whole defense is predicated on having excellent CB play, he can't adjust his system. Some games he gets good play put of them and the jets are ok. You don't ask more out of the guys you have back there you change what the other guys do. He seems to be much better with guys that he has seen a lot over the years, Brady, Big Ben, Peyton.

The last thing I'd call Rex Ryan is lazy. Or even fat. 

He's too stubborn to change his scheme's up . Other teams work through injuries , I remember the Pats secondary being so banged up one year they started Troy Brown at CB. In addition for large parts of the 6 years the O has had to deal with grocey baggers at skill positions ( Schilens, Gilyard, Hill x 2, Reuland etc......). Time to part ways with the fraud.

Archived