Which Pro Bowler 'can't hold' Jets' Sheldon Richardson's 'jock,' according to Rex Ryan?

JOJOTOWNSELL

At least Rex isn't going out with a whimper.......this is probably his last great soundbite as coach of Jets

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/12/which_pro_bowl_defensive_lineman_cant_hold_jets_sheldon_richardsons_jock_according_to_rex_ryan.html

FLORHAM PARK — Rex Ryan on Wednesday admitted he was "kind of shocked" Jetsdefensive end Sheldon Richardson wasn't selected to the 2015 Pro Bowl. And after initially saying he thought it might have been because the Jets have won just three games this season, Ryan dropped the hammer.

"If it kept him out of the Pro Bowl because some guy had X-amount of sacks, and that guy can't hold his jock as a player, to be honest with you, I think that's kind of strange to me," Ryan said.

Ryan wouldn't mention names—"I guess you guys will figure out who I'm talking about," he said—but someone with knowledge of Ryan's thinking confirmed Ryan was referring to Rams rookie Aaron Donald. That person requested anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak publicly on the subject.

Richardson, the 2013 NFL defensive rookie of the year, plays defensive end in the Jets' 3-4 system, but both he and fellow D-end Muhammad Wilkerson were categorized as defensive tackles for Pro Bowl balloting purposes. Richardson, Wilkerson, running back Chris Ivory, and left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson are all Pro Bowl alternates. Only center Nick Mangold made the initial cut of 86 players.

Richardson has seven sacks in 15 games, and Pro Football Focus grades him as the league's second-best 3-4 defensive end behind the Texans' J.J. Watt.

Upon hearing he wasn't picked for the Pro Bowl, a disappointed Richardson said his reaction was "too explicit for TV."

The interior defensive linemen selected to the Pro Bowl are the Bills' Marcell Dareus (10 sacks) and Kyle Williams (5.5); the Rams' Donald (eight); the Bucs' Gerald McCoy (seven); the Chiefs' Dontari Poe (six); and the Lions' Ndamukong Suh (eight).

Poe is a nose tackle, so it's harder to compare him to Richardson. And a case can be made for just about everyone else who made the cut. But measured against Donald, Richardson has a better pass-rush grade (22.7 to 12.1) and a better run-stop grade (20.2 to 15.3), per PFF. The Jets also play Richardson in coverage sometimes, which Donald does not do. As the person familiar with Ryan's thinking said of Richardson, "He could play linebacker. He's that good."

Pro Bowl selections are based on voting done by fans, players, and coaches. Ryan said he has "a tough believing anybody who played against [Richardson] never voted for him."

"Clearly, the guys missed on Sheldon Richardson," Ryan said. "You've got to look at the big picture ... I see the tapes. This guy deserves to be in there. There's no doubt about it."

http://video-embed.nj.com/services/player/bcpid1950981419001?bctid=3960026014001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAPLMILBk~,Vn8u6tPOf8Us2eD8W1ez5Zw-Ss_6Anfe

A 3-13 train wreck of incompetence does not deserve any pro bowl players imo. 3-13 means you suck horrifically.

It just amazes me how people think anyone should be rewarded after a 3-13 season, it boggles the mind actually, the acceptance of mediocrity.

A 3-13 train wreck of incompetence does not deserve any pro bowl players imo. 3-13 means you suck horrifically.

It just amazes me how people think anyone should be rewarded after a 3-13 season, it boggles the mind actually, the acceptance of mediocrity.

thats one of the most ridiculous things ive ever read, theyre not being rewarded AS A TEAM, theyre the joke of the league AS A TEAM

individual players should be rewarded for individual performance, theyre married to their teams for as long as their contract says

good players play on bad teams, it happens and sometimes tragically so

geno is terrible thus sheldon is terrible, sound logic

Archived