Mike Maccagnan is first GM candidate to get 2nd interview w/ Jets

AFJF

wow... that's terrible. Looks bad on them..

Look, firstly you can't hit on every pick. To point to a 6th rounder in 2012 and say "WTF" is asinine. I don't know what the average is, but I'd guess that after 3 years, most teams are batting about .500 at best with their draft picks being on the roster, let alone starting. 

Since 2011, the texans have drafted Watt (amazing) Mercilus (played better this year), Hopkins (A+) and Clowney in the first. They've also drafted Reed who's been serviceable in the 2nd and Crick in the 5th i think. Their entire Oline is drafted selections with 3 of them coming from 2011 and on, including 3 round picks Ben jones, B. Brooks, and 7th round Newton at RT. Their defense is all but drafted starters outside of J. Joseph and K. Lewis, their FA signings. Blue stepped in for Ben tate, and Swearinger has been a good 2nd pick at SS. and they continue to bring in decent depth through the draft.

Honestly, they're doing much better than a lot of teams when it comes to throwing darts in the draft room. Texans fans need to check themselves.  

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@BrianCoz: Maccagnan was described to me as very thorough with a solid plan on how to build a team and would be able to work well with HC, etc. #nyj

The Jets could be getting close to hiring a new general manager.

The team has scheduled a second interview with Texans director of college scouting Mike Maccagnan for Friday, according to sources. It is conceivable the Jets offer him the job then. If not, they may bring in more candidates for a second interview.

Maccagnan met with owner Woody Johnson and consultants Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf on Monday and the Jets must have come away impressed because they want to huddle with him again.

A league source who is familiar with Maccagnan said he is a very thorough, competent person who will be able to work well with a head coach and others in the organization. The source said Maccagnan has a solid plan on how to build a team, something the Jets surely saw in the interview.

A second source said Maccagnan is a “brilliant” talent evaluator. The Texans’ drafts have been up and down over the years. They have some major hits, most notably J.J. Watt in 2011, and plenty of misses. One league observer pointed out the Texans have done a good job building their offensive line in the draft. Four of their five starters are draft picks, with only one coming in the first round.

Casserly knows Maccagnan well. He hired him as a scout with the Redksins in the 1990s when Casserly was the GM there. After six seasons in Washington, Maccagnan joined Casserly in Houston, where Casserly was the expansion team’s first GM. Maccagnan had various roles in the scouting department before becoming the director of college scouting in 2011.

Maccagnan is a quiet person who might struggle with the glare of the New York media spotlight, one source said. It would likely be an adjustment for him since he has never had a top management job.

Maccagnan is the first GM candidate to get a second interview that has been reported.

As for what this means for the coaching search, Maccagnan has ties to a few of the Jets candidates. He was the personnel director of the London Monarchs in the old World League in 1991 when he signed Doug Marrone as a player. The two have maintained a friendship since. He also worked with Gary Kubiak, the former head coach of the Texans. Maccagnan was an intern with the Redskins when Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles played there.

Marrone, the former Bills coach, interviewed last Saturday. Kubiak, currently the Ravens offensive coordinator, has said he does not want to interview for any head coaching jobs until the Ravens season is over. They face the Patriots in the playoffs on Saturday.

"Maccagnan is a quiet person who might struggle with the glare of the New York media spotlight, one source said. It would likely be an adjustment for him since he has never had a top management job."

Not only he might be in over his head, but sometimes when you promote someone you take him away from the things he's best at and those things suffer when they're placed in inferior hands. 

You end up weaker in two areas. 

"Maccagnan is a quiet person who might struggle with the glare of the New York media spotlight, one source said. It would likely be an adjustment for him since he has never had a top management job."

Not only he might be in over his head, but sometimes when you promote someone you take him away from the things he's best at and those things suffer when they're placed in inferior hands. 

You end up weaker in two areas.

Living in fear is the wrong approach. All guys who are interviewing for the job are good at what they do, that's why they're getting an interview. You can't judge how a guy will do at a job until he does it.

I have a few questions. 

Why did Mike Maccagnan take this long to get considered for a GM job? Casserly hired him in the 1990s to be a scout on the Redskins, Maccagnan then joined Casserly in Houston in 2002, where Maccagnan had various roles in the scouting department before becoming the director of college scouting in 2011.

Also, has he interviewed for any job other than ours? 

I have a few questions. 

Why did Mike Maccagnan take this long to get considered a GM job? Casserly hired him in the 1990s to be a scout on the Redskins, Maccagnan then joined Casserly in Houston in 2002, where Maccagnan had various roles in the scouting department before becoming the director of college scouting in 2011.

Also, has he interviewed for any job other than ours? 

well done !

I am afraid casserly  is shoving his buddies down woodys throat

well done !

And?

I'm curious how you should hire someone, because it seems no matter how we do it, we're wrong.

So what's the "right" way, where no bias of any kind is involved, the Owner has no say of any kind, and the like?

We did exactly that, last time, and got Idzik.

Now we go to a respected former GM, and his bias may play a part. Because he is human and humans are biased.

So if that fails, what next?

Woody can't make the hire, he's not a football guy, an unbiased Contractor Group can't make the hire, they get us dipsh*ts like Idzik, and former GM's can't make the hire, because they prefer guys from their own "tree".

What other option is there, exactly?

And?

I'm curious how you should hire someone, because it seems no matter how we do it, we're wrong.

So what's the "right" way, where no bias of any kind is involved, the Owner has no say of any kind, and the like?

Now we go to a respected former GM, and his bias may play a part. Because he is human and humans are biased.

Woody can't make the hire, he's not a football guy, an unbiased Contractor Group can't make the hire, they get us dipsh*ts like Idzik, and former GM's can't make the hire, because they prefer guys from their own "tree".

Thank you.

I like the fact that the last 2 times we've done this Woody has at least admitted he knows f*&^kall about football and hired someone else to do it. Although I like this time around way better. 

And?

I had found holes in the dolphin candidate chris grier by looking at his background and being objective.  TD did the same thing.  Both guys had ties to casserly and few interviews with other teams

casserly is a football guy, but a 14 year old girl could look at other teams org charts and look for the guy who reports to the GM and request an interview

maccagnan is not the #1 guy in the texans scouting dept, brian gaine is

same thing with the dolphins scrub, chris grier

these guys are both 2nd tier candidates, but they know charlie, so they get interviews

I had found holes in the dolphin candidate chris grier by looking at his background and being objective.  TD did the same thing.  Both guys had ties to casserly and few interviews with other teams

casserly is a football guy, but a 14 year old girl could look at other teams org charts and look for the guy who reports to the GM and request an interview

maccagnan is not the #1 guy in the texans scouting dept, brian gaine is

same thing with the dolphins scrub, chris grier

these guys are both 2nd tier candidates, but they know charlie, so they get interviews

Maybe they're the only ones who'll return Casserly's calls.

here is the jets org chart

• Chairman/CEO – Woody Johnson
  • President – Neil Glat
  • General Manager – Vacant
  • Senior Director of Football Administration – Rod Graves
  • Manager of Football Administration – Jacqueline Davidson
  • Director of Pro Personnel – Brendan Prophett
  • Assistant Director of Pro Personnel – Matt Bazirgan
  • Senior Director of College Scouting – Terry Bradway
  • Director of College Scouting – Jeff Bauer

grier and maccagnan at are on the Jeff bauer level

why didn't benden prophett get a look ?  is he an idzik hire who is a dead man walking ?

here is the jets org chart

• Chairman/CEO – Woody Johnson
  • President – Neil Glat
  • General Manager – Vacant
  • Senior Director of Football Administration – Rod Graves
  • Manager of Football Administration – Jacqueline Davidson
  • Director of Pro Personnel – Brendan Prophett
  • Assistant Director of Pro Personnel – Matt Bazirgan
  • Senior Director of College Scouting – Terry Bradway
  • Director of College Scouting – Jeff Bauer

grier and maccagnan at are on the Jeff bauer level

why didn't benden prophett get a look ?  is he an idzik hire who is a dead man walking ?

Not every team is set up the same. 

Plus the occasional incoherent rambling press conference during the season.

Tannebaum would make the media rounds 2 or 3 times every season. But based on Idzik's 19 minutes of self immolation, perhaps less would be more.

well done !

I'm a huge fan of Casserly's. Ever since his post draft interviews after taking Williams first. Then watching him on CBS pre game, just seemed like he always knew his sh!t. Refreshing from what we've had in the last decade or so.

I fully trust him.

I'm a huge fan of Casserly's. Ever since his post draft interviews after taking Williams first. Then watching him on CBS pre game, just seemed like he always knew his sh!t. Refreshing from what we've had in the last decade or so.

I fully trust him.

And he and Bellcheat HATE each other. 

Saw a tweet earlier that said wolf ran first interview and was blown away. That's why second interview. I will try to find it.

@BrianCoz: Heard that Ron Wolf took the lead in the Maccagnan 1st interview since Casserly knows him so well and came away very impressed. #nyj

@BrianCoz: The skinny on Mike Maccagnan -- the front-runner for Jets GM #nyj: http://t.co/MEau6GDxJ1 via @nypost

Maccagnan met with owner Woody Johnson and consultants Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf on Monday, and the Jets came away impressed. Casserly knows Maccagnan well, having hired him with the Redskins and Texans when Casserly was the GM there. But a source said Casserly took a backseat in the interview, letting Wolf lead it, and the former Packers GM walked away a fan of Maccagnan’s.

Archived