Bye-Bye Marty.... Ravens QB coach (Ouch!)

32EBoozer

Ravens hire Marty Mornhinweg as quarterbacks coach

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 21, 2015, 11:27 AM EST

mornhinweg

AP

The Ravens continue to put an interesting collection of parts around quarterback Joe Flacco.

A day after hiring Marc Trestman as their offensive coordinator, the team announced they were bringing in former Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg as their quarterbacks coach.

Mornhinweg worked with Ravens head coach John Harbaugh with the Eagles, but hasn’t had much luck since leaving there, presiding over the recent mess that got everyone fired.

He does have background with some successful quarterbacks, but he’s also the guy who went 5-27 with the Lions, and made the worst coin toss decision in the history of football.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/ravens-hire-marty-mornhinweg-as-quarterbacks-coach/

Ravens hire Marty Mornhinweg as quarterbacks coach

mornhinweg-e1411726165458.jpg?w=250AP

The Ravens continue to put an interesting collection of parts around quarterback Joe Flacco.

A day after hiring Marc Trestman as their offensive coordinator, the team announced they were bringing in former Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg as their quarterbacks coach.

Mornhinweg worked with Ravens head coach John Harbaugh with the Eagles, but hasn’t had much luck since leaving there, presiding over the recent mess that got everyone fired.

He does have background with some successful quarterbacks, but he’s also the guy who went 5-27 with the Lions, and made the worst coin toss decision in the history of football.

Most disagree with me on this but I thought he was a fine OC for the Jets.  The ocs always get the hate on football forums, the fact that the last few of ours have had to deal with horrors like Geno Smith and Sanchez is pretty tough to over come.

(I guess Baltimore now has gone from being a smart org to  a dumbass org for their two hires the last few days.)

Most disagree with me on this but I thought he was a fine OC for the Jets.  The ocs always get the hate on football forums, the fact that the last few of ours have had to deal with horrors like Geno Smith and Sanchez is pretty tough to over come.

(I guess Baltimore now has gone from being a smart org to  a dumbass org for their two hires the last few days.)

MM was total garbage. 

MM was total garbage. 

Go back and look at what was said about him when he 1st came here and the 1st few games.  Shotty was garbage, sparano was garbage, hackett was garbage, MM was garbage.  All Oc's are garbage when in fact in recent history they have been provided far far less talent than the defense has.  That's why I find it so utterly amusing when people love forgiving rex the 1st time he didn't get 'all he needed' to get results.

Go back and look at what was said about him when he 1st came here and the 1st few games.  Shotty was garbage, sparano was garbage, hackett was garbage, MM was garbage.  All Oc's are garbage when in fact in recent history they have been provided far far less talent than the defense has.  That's why I find it so utterly amusing when people love forgiving rex the 1st time he didn't get 'all he needed' to get results.

Hackett was garbage since the Jets and afterwards. Schotty has been garbage since the Jets and afterwards. Sparano has been garbage since the Jets and afterwards. I doubt MM will change the trend. 

Point being: This isn't a situation where it was basically the players. All of these coaches went elsewhere and stunk it up just as much. 

Hackett was garbage since the Jets and afterwards. Schotty has been garbage since the Jets and afterwards. Sparano has been garbage since the Jets and afterwards. I doubt MM will change the trend. 

Point being: This isn't a situation where it was basically the players. All of these coaches went elsewhere and stunk it up just as much. 

So is it REX cant hire?  Probably ...

So is it REX cant hire?  Probably ...

Rex can't do anything outside of defense. Outside of Demario Davis, no player has developed under Rex Ryan in his 6 years. I can go on and on about what Rex could not do. Whats so crazy is that everyone loves him so its not hate, the dude was just bad when you really think about it. I can't blame that all on Idzik, furthermore, I felt that Idzik should have had an opportunity to hire his own guys. Rex found a way to wreck that too. 

I liked Marty when he first got here. Then continued the Wildcat and conservative play calls. Hated his game plan by the end.

And where do you think that the Wildcat and the ultra conservative play calling came from? "His" game plans at the end were a direct result of the HC.

Not disputing that these guys were not great oc's or totally forgiving them for lousy performance.  I am pointing out that in almost each case they were heralded and embraced like Galey is now when they got here and then became dumb as time went on.  Also pointing out that the things our former Head coach was given credit for (AFC title games) or excused for (not enough talent) the OC's were along for the ride as well.

Rex took two jets teams to afc title games?  Well so did Shotty with a lousy QB.  Idzik killed off rex because he didn't get him cbs?  Well what about the lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball for year.

I'll stand by my comment about Chan Galey, the majority of people like the hire now, just like the previous ocs, they will love it when he gets a few early reasults, just like the others, they will cool to him in short order, then he will be the main villain the last quarter of the season, just like all the others.

Not disputing that these guys were not great oc's or totally forgiving them for lousy performance.  I am pointing out that in almost each case they were heralded and embraced like Galey is now when they got here and then became dumb as time went on.  Also pointing out that the things our former Head coach was given credit for (AFC title games) or excused for (not enough talent) the OC's were along for the ride as well.

Rex took two jets teams to afc title games?  Well so did Shotty with a lousy QB.  Idzik killed off rex because he didn't get him cbs?  Well what about the lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball for year.

I'll stand by my comment about Chan Galey, the majority of people like the hire now, just like the previous ocs, they will love it when he gets a few early reasults, just like the others, they will cool to him in short order, then he will be the main villain the last quarter of the season, just like all the others.

You're right, but that was more of Jet fandom than anything. 

Chan Gailey has actually succeeded in this league. He was the offensive coordinator for a Super Bowl winning team. none of the guys that we've been "so high" on has done that. None of them have even made it to a Super Bowl as a coordinator. Maybe as some positions coach, but they weren't calling the shots and won the big game. We have a guy who can look in the eyes of every player on the offensive side of the ball and say "My ability has won championships, if you trust in and follow me I intend to do it again". 

Nothing more needs to be said about Chan Gailey. 

Baltimore has seriously downgraded their offensive coaching staff since losing Kubiak to the Broncos.  Oh well, that helps us in the event that Bowles and Maccagnan can have us playing well enough to be competing for a wild card spot next year.

Ravens hire Marty Mornhinweg as quarterbacks coach

mornhinweg

AP

The Ravens continue to put an interesting collection of parts around quarterback Joe Flacco.

A day after hiring Marc Trestman as their offensive coordinator, the team announced they were bringing in former Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg as their quarterbacks coach.

He does have background with some successful quarterbacks, but he’s also the guy who went 5-27 with the Lions, and made the worst coin toss decisioe Qbn in the history of football.

Big deal, what does a QB coach do?  Stare at the QBs feet all game long?

Archived