We must not draft a QB

Jetsmanjb

I see Dante Fowler Jr. or Landon Collins as great picks in the first round of this draft.  There is so much depth at WR that it makes sense to go defense in the first round.  And with that mentality, I think the O line can be addressed in free agency.  

There is simply no need to take a Quarterback- we have nothing to gain by doing so.  Winston won't be there at 6 and Geno is a better talent than Mariota.  

Yep, much better to stay with the 38th rated QB in the NFL.

With a great year, Geno might turn those 4 wins into 5.

Stick Mariotta into the roster as our first round pick (without Geno on the roster) and those 4 wins turn to 0.   How is Mariotta any different than Johnny Manziel on the field? 

You need to have surrounding talent to capitalize on how the team will perform.   If we improve surrounding areas, pick up a guy like Ryan Mallett as a security blanket or possibly Sean Mannion in one of the later rounds that would make way more sense.   

You have to keep looking and trying to get a real QB.

I totally agree but you can't afford to use 1st round picks on quarterbacks every single year.  In the last 5 years they used one on Sanchez and then a 39th pick on Geno.  If they use one here that's 3 QBs in the first two rounds in 6 years.   You need to build a team in the draft, you can't just take Quarterbacks.  

Love Landon Collins, but drafting another SS in back to back years in the 1st is not smart

It totally depends upon what your strategy is and how deep the draft is in different areas ...  depending on Dawan Landry for another season doesn't seem reliable at this point.  

If Mariota is gone by 6 we won't draft a QB in the first round and will draft an immediate impact player and possibly draft a QB in round 3 if Mariota is there I think the Jets grab him with all the cap money we have we can be very active in free agency to get immediate impact players that we desperately need. 

If Mariota is gone by 6 we won't draft a QB in the first round and will draft an immediate impact player and possibly draft a QB in round 3 if Mariota is there I think the Jets grab him with all the cap money we have we can be very active in free agency to get immediate impact players that we desperately need. 

I cannot believe how overhyped he is.... and I hope to god that he isn't there at 6.  

In all honesty ask yourselves this: why did the Jets make it to back to back AFC championship games?  Because Sanchez had great surrounding players to work with.  It wasn't because Sanchez did it all himself.  

It totally depends upon what your strategy is and how deep the draft is in different areas ...  depending on Dawan Landry for another season doesn't seem reliable at this point.  

Dawan isn't (shouldn't be back), we need a free safety, not another strong safety, especially in the first. I love Collins but it's not really filling any holes because regardless of who you put at fs, it'll be a hole because coverage is their weakness, and that goes for all 3 of them, Dawan, Pryor and Collins.

Collins would probably be the best at coverage, but unless the tiny chance we trade back to cleveland for both of their 1st rounders, it's not going to happen. Too many other needs.

Don't want either f the top 2 guys.

Fine if we snag a mid-rounder to develop.

1. Veteran JAG

2. Draft Pick (3rd/4th) Big, Tall, Big Arm pocket passer (the kind no one seems to want in the trendy running QB era).

3. Geno Smith or a Bag of Rotting Footballs, either one is fine./;

well, if we are only talking about #6, I would say take either of the top 2 QB's if he is there.  In fact, drafting a QB is very essential this year, even a guy in the mid-rounds you hope can develop into a legit back up

just think about the back ups this team has had over the last 10 years

pure garbage

I see Dante Fowler Jr. or Landon Collins as great picks in the first round of this draft.  

Are you sh*tting me? Another safety in the first round. Pryor hasn't shown anything, but it would be sheer foolishness to pick another safety with so many other needs. I'm not sure about drafting another tweener DE/OLB either. Jets don't have to draft a QB in my book, but a WR, or OL would be a better option. If franchise QB not there, I wouldn't mind a trade down to get OL and later picks. Jets aren't challenging the Pats until Brady is gone anyway so build it piece by piece.  

Can't believe Mariota was just compared to Manziel. Mariota has absolutely not mental weakness like Manziel, is your prototypical QB size and correct me if I'm wrong, was a far more successful starter with more experience in college.

If you're really comfortable starting Geno again or bringing in some shlub like Locker, Hoyer or Sanchez then God bless. Don't see how you don't draft the Heisman winning qb and see what he can be. I think we should draft a qb every year until we find one.

We have "simply no need" to take a QB in round 1, and there is "nothing to gain" by drafting a QB in round 1. So...no chance that a QB will be available at #6, who will be a good NFL QB, who won't be available to us later, and who will be better than anyone we can get later. No chance of this?

Both top-rated QBs taken at #6 (or higher) might end up as big NFL flops or just mediocre. But to say there is "nothing to gain" by taking one, if one is even there? How about a QB-less Jets team gain a franchise QB? One that isn't available for the remainder of the draft after #6, let alone in free agency.

I'm not saying either is some sure thing or even that we should take one of them, as I know little about either beyond what others have written about him. But we clearly have a need and there's clearly something to gain.

Are you sh*tting me? Another safety in the first round. Pryor hasn't shown anything, but it would be sheer foolishness to pick another safety with so many other needs. I'm not sure about drafting another tweener DE/OLB either. Jets don't have to draft a QB in my book, but a WR, or OL would be a better option. If franchise QB not there, I wouldn't mind a trade down to get OL and later picks. Jets aren't challenging the Pats until Brady is gone anyway so build it piece by piece.  

Are you really that narrow-minded ? Last time I checked Landon Collins is a whole lot better than Calvin Pryor.  I was all for taking Clinton-Dix anyways.  But have you seen how deep this draft class is in WRs ?  It's likely that guys like Rashad Greene, Ty Montgomery and Tyler Lockett can be picked as late as the 4th round in this years draft.  And like I said my last post, I think the offensive line can be addressed in free agency.   Our defensive line is pretty solid right now- it's one place that we don't really need to address in the offseason.  

So with that said Offense + LB + DBs is what we need to add: 

QB:  Doesn't make sense to use another early pick here.  Can use FA to address this or possibly later round picks.  

RB:  We need someone who can compliment Ivory and Powell.  Maybe CJ Spiller is a good option or perhaps a later round pick. 

WR:  PLENTY of depth in this years draft.  Maybe going with Funchess or Devin smith in the second round.  And then again going for Montgomery or Lockett in the 4th.  Absolutely no reason to use a 1st round pick here.

TE:  Makes no sense to use a draft pick here after taking Amaro in the 2nd Round last year.  

OL:  I think we have a solid starting three right now with possible needs where guard and tackle might be in question.  We have Brick, Mangold, Colon who should be set.  We might need to add two more there, hopefully we can address this in free agency.  

DL: We are pretty solid here

LB/Secondary:  If we address these holes early on in the draft, then you can see that the other holes won't be so big to fill.   

I see Dante Fowler Jr. or Landon Collins as great picks in the first round of this draft. There is so much depth at WR that it makes sense to go defense in the first round. And with that mentality, I think the O line can be addressed in free agency.

There is simply no need to take a Quarterback- we have nothing to gain by doing so. Winston won't be there at 6 and Geno is a better talent than Mariota.

I didn't know John Idzik was posting on jn

I see Dante Fowler Jr. or Landon Collins as great picks in the first round of this draft.  There is so much depth at WR that it makes sense to go defense in the first round.  And with that mentality, I think the O line can be addressed in free agency.  

There is simply no need to take a Quarterback- we have nothing to gain by doing so.  Winston won't be there at 6 and Geno is a better talent than Mariota.  

I see your point about Fowler, but my reasoning for not taking a QB has nothing to do with the 2nd worst QB in the league Geno Smith, who is only better than the worst QB in the league EJ Manuel. 

I wouldnt draft a QB because I dont believe Winston will be available at our pick and I dont believe in Mariota. Saying that Geno is better than anyone at this point in time is a bit much. 

I see your point about Fowler, but my reasoning for not taking a QB has nothing to do with the 2nd worst QB in the league Geno Smith, who is only better than the worst QB in the league EJ Manuel. 

I wouldnt draft a QB because I dont believe Winston will be available at our pick and I dont believe in Mariota. Saying that Geno is better than anyone at this point in time is a bit much. 

I'm not saying he is better than anyone, clearly he isn't.  But at this point in time, I feel confident that he is a better pro QB than Mariota.   Geno's arm is a hell of lot stronger.  

How do you think the team gets better with Mariota on the roster ?  There is NO improvement... 

I'm not saying he is better than anyone, clearly he isn't.  But at this point in time, I feel confident that he is a better pro QB than Mariota.   Geno's arm is a hell of lot stronger.  

How do you think the team gets better with Mariota on the roster ?  There is NO improvement... 

I dont know much about Mariota's game and how it would translate over to the pros given that system he played in. I clearly dont think Geno is the answer right now and I dont think anyone in Free Agency is worth anything more than a paycheck to sit on the bench. If you're looking for someone this year that his better than Geno Smith that will only be done via a trade. 

You have to keep looking and trying to get a real QB.

I could add a whole lot to this... but you summed it up. Keep trying until you find one.

I am not completely sold on Mariota. However, I will be livid mad if they pass on him at 6 if he is there.

Nobody can convince me there isnt the same bust risk with any other position. Plenty of top 10 busts at all positions.

QB:  Doesn't make sense to use another early pick here.  Can use FA to address this or possibly later round picks.  

RB:  We need someone who can compliment Ivory and Powell.  Maybe CJ Spiller is a good option or perhaps a later round pick. 

WR:  PLENTY of depth in this years draft.  Maybe going with Funchess or Devin smith in the second round.  And then again going for Montgomery or Lockett in the 4th.  Absolutely no reason to use a 1st round pick here.

TE:  Makes no sense to use a draft pick here after taking Amaro in the 2nd Round last year.  

OL:  I think we have a solid starting three right now with possible needs where guard and tackle might be in question.  We have Brick, Mangold, Colon who should be set.  We might need to add two more there, hopefully we can address this in free agency.  

DL: We are pretty solid here

LB/Secondary:  If we address these holes early on in the draft, then you can see that the other holes won't be so big to fill.

QB is the biggest hole to fill.

We are not getting to the superbowl with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

If they simply don't like Winston or Mariotta (if available) as much as the next guy available, and (for example) can swing a mega-trade with the Eagles and still get the guy they like better, I'm ok with that. But they'd better be right about it.

I'm not ok with just throwing a late round pick at the game's most important position and picking up a #2 QB in free agency to be the team's starter. Particularly if a consensus top pick is still there for us at #6.

You cannot just assume that there's going to be some savior out there waiting to come to play on the Jets.  If you really believe that, then I'm sorry but you just don't know football and most likely have never played the game.  You need to build a team little by little, piece by piece.  

My point is that you can win games when you have a good team and no quarterback, but you can't win games when you don't have a good team, and a good quarterback.  

Cue the 2009-2010 seasons with Sanchez making it to AFC Championship games 

Taking a shot on Mariota is a much better option than taking an edge rusher, especially when there should be a few pretty good pros available in free agency. The beauty of having cap space and a horrible roster is that we can afford a proven NFL player and take more risks in the draft (especially with a guy who's floor is as high as Mariota's) instead of the other way around. He's at least going to be a pretty good QB, by many people's estimation, with the chance to be a great QB. You don't pass that up unless you're hoping that a guy with absolutely NO holes and is pro ready is coming out and you're going to be horrible (like first pick horrible) when that happens.

You can't ignore QB or throw a late round pick hoping to hit the lottery or just wait until next year or the year after.

The next best option, to me is to swing a deal for Foles if the Eagles really want Mariota, pick up the extra picks and hope that Foles can play closer on the spectrum to 2013 than 2014.

I also think the Manziel comparisons are ridiculous. Manziels a midget, and most importantly, a mental (emotional) midget who has yet to take his professional career seriously. He was horrific, in part, because he had trouble remembering plays in the huddle, late in the season, which is utterly absurd. Mariota is completely different, he is a good kid, very humble and by all accounts is incredibly coachable and serious. If anyone is going to go from an system like Oregon's and become a good pro QB, it's going to be him. You take a kid with his physical gifts and if he learns how to play QB, you have a franchise guy for ten years.

I don't understand, all who said that jets don't need pick a qb, realy think that we get playoff with Geno?  :character0182:

Geno starter - it's a way to nowhere. I want to hope that he will play better but... hope stay smaller and smaller after every Geno's games.

Archived