The cornerback dilemma facing new Jets regime

Jetfan13

maxwell.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1

Byron Maxwell and Antonio Cromartie are two potential Jets targets in free agency. Photo: Getty Images (2)

The 2015 NFL Scouting Combine is history. After a few days in Indianapolis, here are a few Jets-related takeaways from the combine, gathered from talking to people in convention center corridors, hotel lobbies and bars last week in Indy:

1. It’s no secret the Jets need cornerbacks, but this week only put even more of an emphasis on it. The Jets, to their credit, are being honest about it. Both GM Mike Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles acknowledged it during their media sessions. The sense I get is the Jets are going to add players at this position through both free agency and the draft.

“Todd likes to play Cover 1 all day long,” one NFL coach said. “That’s straight-up man-press. He better find some corners quick if he wants to do that.”

Modal Triggerrevis1.jpg?w=300&h=200

Bill Belichick will try to keep Revis in New England.Photo: Getty Images

The Jets are expected to be one of the primary suitors for Seahawks free agent Byron Maxwell. The talk in Indy was that the Jets and Eagles would be the two teams fighting for him. After Maxwell, there is a bit of a drop-off, but the Jets likely will add one of the second-tier corners, too — possibly Antonio Cromartie, who has publicly campaigned for a return to the Jets. Everyone I spoke with expects the Patriots to bring back Darrelle Revis, so the Jets might not get a crack at bringing back their former first-round pick.

One thing to remember here is that agents are aware how desperate the Jets are for cornerbacks and the Jets may have to overpay this year. Former GM John Idzik’s refusal to pay a premium for corners last year left them in this position. Now, Maccagnan will be tested to see how high he will go.

In the draft, I heard the Jets are very high on LSU’s Jalen Collins and Wake Forest’s Kevin Johnson. Keep an eye on them if they slip into the second round.

I came away from the combine convinced the Jets will either take QB Marcus Mariota with the No. 6 overall pick or a pass rusher. If WR Amari Cooper falls to 6, that might complicate the decision.

Modal Triggerharris1.jpg?w=225&h=300

David HarrisPhoto: Charles Wenzelberg

2. David Harris is the top Jets free agent and I believe they will re-sign the linebacker. The Jets met with Harris’ reps in Indianapolis and I think the two sides will reach a deal. If Harris does become a free agent, an obvious suitor would be Rex Ryan in Buffalo. Ryan loved Harris, but don’t count on a reunion. The Bills are loaded at inside linebacker with the return of Kiko Alonso and Nigel Bradham and Preston Brown. Another AFC East team, the Dolphins, may be the Jets’ stiffest competition for Harris. Former Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum is running the show in Miami now, and he drafted Harris and gave him a big contract in 2011.

The Jets’ connections around the AFC East are going to be fascinating to watch not just during the season but also during free agency.

3. It sounds like Chris Johnson was a major headache for the Jets coaches last year. Johnson did his best not to rock the boat with the media last year, but it was evident he was unhappy with his role. He said last week that he blamed Idzik for his reduced playing time, but it sounds like it was the coaching staff that decided Chris Ivory was a better option. One person I spoke with familiar with the situation said that Johnson believed he had been promised a bigger role when he signed, but that was never the case. They also said Johnson was not thrilled with his compensation and griped about his paychecks more than once.

Modal Triggerharvin.jpg?w=187&h=300

Percy HarvinPhoto: Bill Kostroun

4. There were a variety of opinions on what the Jets should do with WR Percy Harvin. Some believe the Jets should not be in the business of cutting good players, since they have so few. Others argue that Harvin is not worth $10.5 million.

One person who moved on from the Jets after last season said Harvin was a pleasure to deal with after he was traded to the Jets last season. They said they believed the Jets need to hold on to Harvin and see how he does in Chan Gailey’s system.

The Jets have until March 19 to make a decision on Harvin. If he is on the roster then, the sixth-round pick they traded to the Seahawks becomes a fourth-rounder.

5. I tried to do a bit of an autopsy on the 2014 season with any of the coaches or front office members from last year’s team I ran into. The most interesting thing I heard was morale was a major issue from the get-go.

The way it was told to me was the entire franchise was feeling good after the 8-8 finish in 2013. Most of the people inside the organization had prepared themselves for a terrible year and were surprised and excited by the finish, particularly when owner Woody Johnson announced Ryan would return for the 2014 season. The expectation in the building was Ryan would get a true long-term extension, putting him and Idzik on the same timeline. Instead, he was only given a one-year deal that could become longer if the Jets went to the playoffs in 2014.

“That instantly zapped morale,” one source said.

Modal Triggeridzik1.jpg?w=300&h=300

Rex Ryan and John IdzikPhoto: Bill Kostroun

The feeling was Ryan had used his job status as a motivational tool in 2013, but he could not expect the team to “win one for Rex” again in 2014. Morale worsened when Idzik failed to spend much money in free agency. There was a strong push from the coaching staff to sign Revis when Tampa Bay released him and wide receiver DeSean Jackson when the Eagles cut him. Idzik passed on both.

“We never really recovered,” the source said.

6. There was lots of talk about what went wrong with Idzik. There is a curiosity around the league about what happened with the Jets and what his future holds. One topic I asked a few people about was Idzik’s 2014 draft class, a.k.a. the “Idzik 12.”

Many people believe Calvin Pryor and Jace Amaro will be good players and make the draft class look better over time. But everyone agrees Idzik’s biggest whiff came at wide receiver. In the most receiver-rich draft in memory, Idzik drafted Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans and Quincy Enunwa — who combined for zero catches.

There was a push from some members of the organization to draft Martavis Bryant, who went to the Steelers in the fourth round — after Saunders and Evans. But Idzik resisted. Bryant scored eight touchdowns in 10 games for Pittsburgh.

The Jets released Saunders early in the season, which raised some eyebrows. A source said Saunders was a nightmare for the coaching staff to deal with. He repeatedly lied to the Jets and lost the trust of the organization.

“John deserves credit for admitting that mistake and moving on so quickly,” a source said of Idzik.

Saunders finished the season with the Saints.

It was kind of a scumbag move giving Rex an extension that is only valid if they make the playoffs and then giving him middle school CBs and $40M in cap room.  He didn't even trade for Harvin until the playoffs were firmly out of reach.

I agree. And they fire a coach who wants to run the ball and blitz a lot for a coach who wants to run the ball and blitz a lot...hmmm, go figure.

It was kind of a scumbag move giving Rex an extension that is only valid if they make the playoffs and then giving him middle school CBs and $40M in cap room.  He didn't even trade for Harvin until the playoffs were firmly out of reach.

Rex should have had his rump fired before idzik was hired.  That decision was a very very very good one.  It would just be a delight if we had rex for another 4 years.  The 8-8 year was a total aberration that fooled the dumbos into thinking we were close.

It was kind of a scumbag move giving Rex an extension that is only valid if they make the playoffs and then giving him middle school CBs and $40M in cap room. He didn't even trade for Harvin until the playoffs were firmly out of reach.

Maybe if the blowhard wasn't a bottom 5 HC in the league he could have adjusted to the players he had. Such a wonderful thing he is gone

I agree. And they fire a coach who wants to run the ball and blitz a lot for a coach who wants to run the ball and blitz a lot...hmmm, go figure.

Where is the link that he wants to run the ball???

He wants to go spread and get the ball up the field.

I swear people that post these days just make stuff up.

Rex should have had his rump fired before idzik was hired.  That decision was a very very very good one.  It would just be a delight if we had rex for another 4 years.  The 8-8 year was a total aberration that fooled the dumbos into thinking we were close.

Maybe if the blowhard wasn't a bottom 5 HC in the league he could have adjusted to the players he had. Such a wonderful thing he is gone

1.  Rex did adjust to the personnel.  If you guys didn't see that, I don't know what you were watching on the back end of last years D.  2.  I never said that Rex should have been retained.  I said it was a scumbag move to link the guy's contract to the playoffs and then not try to field a playoff team.  It is understandable that a player looking at the roster, particularly CB would think that Rex got dicked.  That can't be good for morale.  If they were going to fire him, they should have fired him.  Not had death through sh*t roster.  It was a waste of a year.

1.  Rex did adjust to the personnel.  If you guys didn't see that, I don't know what you were watching on the back end of last years D.  2.  I never said that Rex should have been retained.  I said it was a scumbag move to link the guy's contract to the playoffs and then not try to field a playoff team.  It is understandable that a player looking at the roster, particularly CB would think that Rex got dicked.  That can't be good for morale.  If they were going to fire him, they should have fired him.  Not had death through sh*t roster.  It was a waste of a year.

The bolded part, agreed, he adjusted after the team was 1-10 or whatever it was.

Nothing Bowles has done or said suggests he will be run first and conservative on offense. He hired a spread OC and said he wants to make plays down the field. Other than liking to blitz he us the anti-Rex

H

Where is the link that he wants to run the ball???

He wants to go spread and get the ball up the field.

I swear people that post these days just make stuff up.

Wrong, no link, I heard an interview with him where he said he wants to RUN THE BALL. Will try to find proof just for you.

Wrong, no link, I heard an interview with him where he said he wants to RUN THE BALL. Will try to find proof just for you.

All coaches say they want to be able to run the ball. That is a far cry from meaning I want to ground and pound. Again, spread coach, wants to make plays down the field heavily influenced by Arians. NOTHING like Rex. Has also stated he needs to give the offense weapons

NFLN's Path to the draft with Daniel J has us taking CB Trae Waynes at 6. I hope we can sign Cro and Maxwell because if we take a CB with the 6th pick this board would explode.

Cro and Maxwell is what I want too.  Then Miliner and McDoogle can be eased into playing time as backups or nickle db's.

It wasn't too long ago the Jets had the best CB in football. the best Jets draft pick since Willy in 1969. Now, that player is gone and they have a CB dilemma.

things that make you go Hmm. 

That is as much on Revis as it is the Jets.  It's funny how players can become real problems without having 'character' issues.  The NY Jets treated Revis more than fairly.

yeah like that one time where he was coming off the best CB year of the modern era and they expected him to be the 7th highest paid DB on the roster. Paying Revis less than Eric Smith. That's fair. 

That is why you have contracts.  He signed it and should live up to it.

Should be pay Richardson right now his value on the open market? What about Mo the past two years?

yeah like that one time where he was coming off the best CB year of the modern era and they expected him to be the 7th highest paid DB on the roster. Paying Revis less than Eric Smith. That's fair. 

I'd love you to be be my GM if I was a player.    I'd get you to pay me the big dollars on a long term deal as soon as I had my 1st great year.  I'd then hold out in camp the next year because I want to be the highest paid D player in the league.  I'd then force you to not tag or franchise me for my next year.  Then after a colossal injury risk season I'd want you to pay me as the top paid D guy in the league again.

Absurd front office work on your part.  If you want the player to bitc* at the collective bargaining agreement do so but this idea that you have to tear up contracts the minute a guy has a great year is stupid.  The Jets were fair in what they did and bent over ass backwards on two occasions to make the guy happy.  I'm not a Mevis name caller and I like the player but to put that situation on the Jets is pure bull.

to put that situation on the Jets is pure bull.

the Jets had a once in a generation player and they treated him like garbage. Then he won a Super Bowl with the Pats within 1 year of them trading him.

And now we have a CB dilemma. That's the bottom line, and yes, it's on the Jets. 

the Jets had a once in a generation player and they treated him like garbage. Then he won a Super Bowl with the Pats within 1 year of them trading him.

And now we have a CB dilemma. That's the bottom line, and yes, it's on the Jets. 

Zzzzzzzzzz

Dear Lord Revis is overrated by some of you folks. 

Archived