If Jets trade 6 pick to Eagles they have to get back their QB.

Tony The Wiz

I'm not sold on Foles. How is he not considered fragile when he gets hit hard once and breaks his collarbone. Not to mention the major regression last year.  A QB with those symptons (especially a collarbone issue) is a major red flag for me.  

I would only trade 6 pick only if Foles is included. He is a true QB and there is nothing to be cheerful in free agency. Mallet will sign with Houston as that is what they stated as a priority so there goes he. Matt Moore interests me in Miami but he has not played much in the last two years. Locker I would bring in as 2nd QB as he has shown improvement but he is an injury machine. Ponder and Hoyer had their few moments but they are back up material so I need Foles in this trade. I can't go in this season with Geno since he will never get better in this city. I be honest with you, that I think Geno will be better off signing with the CFL where he could improve his skills like Warren Moon did.

It is logical. Foles is a pocket passer who would be best in a WCO where Mariota would be right at home in Chip Kelly's offense. Foles would benefit from Gailey and a strong run game. Have to fix O-Line to provide better blocking and more time for passer. Geno Smith was sacked a BUNCH as he finished his dropback last year. Foles is not much of an athlete and is spaghetti thin.

Mariota is the 2015 version of manziel.   Other than Philly which teams really covet Mariota?      

Johnny Manziel is a drunkard and an alcoholic. How can you compare Mariota to him? Manziel is also a boorish child while Mariota appears to be a fairly responsible adult. Total opposite of Manziel. 

Like I said, 2 full seasons as a starter is enough to judge.The Jets just keep giving 3 year passes to players, coaches, if after 32 games we can't see that Geno has what it takes, wasting another 16 isn't going to matter. I mean, geez, we ran a guy out of town who won four playoff games and then had two bad seasons, for what reason on earth would we give Geno a bigger benefit of the doubt?If he's under center Week 1, I'll be out on a beach in Maine doing something productive on Labor Day weekend instead of at Metlife Stadium.SAR I

So you would have cut Steve Young?

He sucked his 1st 2 years!

Andrew Luck is an anomaly. Do you know that right now there are NO GOOD YOUNG QBS IN THE LEAGUE, other than Andrew Luck?

Ryan Tannyhill is a QB that all of the pundents say is getting better?

Geno Smith tore him a new azzhole IN MIAMI last year!

I hate NFL fans!

I've been watching some of our games on the NFL network from last year & Geno got a lot better at the end of the season when Decker got healthier.

He made some nice throws on the run, he escaped a couple of jailbreaks where our Oline failed miserably.

I'm not saying put all of our eggs in the Geno basket but he really only played a handful of games with a REAL NFL caliber players healthy.

Decker was hurt most of the season, I thought Kerley had a bad year he never seemed open. Amaro was a rookie TE finding his way in the NFL, Cumberland was a TURNSTILE in the blocking dept, CJ looked like he was running in lead shoes for most of the year.

Don't forget the games that were close & Folk was missing long FGs for wins or ties with his injury.

People who watch film for a living see enough from Geno to say you can't give up on him that quickly. I take his 1st year & throw it in the garbage, thrust into service after Sanchez got hurt his head was spinning.

Last year he had all new players around him, an unsettled Oline with all the changes at left guard & Colon constantly putting him in 2nd & 15.

I'd be very happy to get Foles but I still think Geno can be an NFL QB.

its easy to look good statistically in the last 3 games of the season when you are playing teams who have nothing to play for.  I've seen enough of Geno to know he can't hit receivers in stride, his accuracy sucks, he can't throw a back shoulder pass and he just doesn't have the quick instincts to make smart plays in less than 2 seconds.  

I would still keep him purely to develop into a hopeful backup QB for the rest of his career.

I don't like to give excuses like oline and players around him or coaching b/c in todays NFL you are never going to be in a constant.  Its a fluid league.  If geno plays again this year will we say next year that it was a detriment to his development to have another coaching change, new guards on the line, new wr to gain chemistry with.  Either you got it or you don't and he doesn't have it to be a starting qb in the NFL.

Andrew Luck is an anomaly. Do you know that right now there are NO GOOD YOUNG QBS IN THE LEAGUE, other than Andrew Luck?

I hate NFL fans!

Geno stinks. Stop convincing yourself that he is a true NFL QB.

its easy to look good statistically in the last 3 games of the season when you are playing teams who have nothing to play for.  I've seen enough of Geno to know he can't hit receivers in stride, his accuracy sucks, he can't throw a back shoulder pass and he just doesn't have the quick instincts to make smart plays in less than 2 seconds.  

I would still keep him purely to develop into a hopeful backup QB for the rest of his career.

I don't like to give excuses like oline and players around him or coaching b/c in todays NFL you are never going to be in a constant.  Its a fluid league.  If geno plays again this year will we say next year that it was a detriment to his development to have another coaching change, new guards on the line, new wr to gain chemistry with.  Either you got it or you don't and he doesn't have it to be a starting qb in the NFL.

Ah bullsh*t!

Jet fans can't have it both ways!

You can't constantly harp on the fact that you have the worst roster in football, and then blame everything on your 2nd year QB.

It's not logical.

Jay Cutler had a sh*tty year too but was throwing to Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Marteluss Bennett & handing off to & throwing dump off passes to Matt Forte.

Yet some Jet fans would want Cutler?

Jets are gonna surprise the sh*t out of everybody next year.

Wait until you see what happens when they solidify the secondary with that kick azz Dline & their new OLB they get at either #6 or in free agency.

God help the QBs we face with that Devilish Bowles cutting loose.

Like I said, 2 full seasons as a starter is enough to judge.

The Jets just keep giving 3 year passes to players, coaches, if after 32 games we can't see that Geno has what it takes, wasting another 16 isn't going to matter. I mean, geez, we ran a guy out of town who won four playoff games and then had two bad seasons, for what reason on earth would we give Geno a bigger benefit of the doubt?

If he's under center Week 1, I'll be out on a beach in Maine doing something productive on Labor Day weekend instead of at Metlife Stadium.

SAR I

Here's a fun fact for you. Do you know what year your boy mark Sanchez had his best statistical yr as an NFL QB  ?  In his 3rd yr in Brian Schottenheimer offense, mark Sanchez  had  26 passing TDs to I think 18 ints and the Jets had a miserable yr and got Schottenheimer fired.

Ah bullsh*t!

Jet fans can't have it both ways!

You can't constantly harp on the fact that you have the worst roster in football, and then blame everything on your 2nd year QB.

It's not logical.

Jay Cutler had a sh*tty year too but was throwing to Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Marteluss Bennett & handing off to & throwing dump off passes to Matt Forte.

Yet some Jet fans would want Cutler?

Jets are gonna surprise the sh*t out of everybody next year.

Wait until you see what happens when they solidify the secondary with that kick azz Dline & their new OLB they get at either #6 or in free agency.

God help the QBs we face with that Devilish Bowles cutting loose.

I'm not sure what you are referencing or refuting from my post.  I don't speak for all Jets fans, only myself.  I never wanted Cutler.  But I've seen 2 years of Geno and I know what we have.  I know what his ceiling is already because I think we've seen it in some of his good games.  He isn't the answer and he isn't getting us to a Superbowl.  This organization has a major problem with detaching themselves from drafted players that aren't working out.  I don't need any excuses for Geno.  I've already stated I want to keep him but clearly state for backup development purposes.

I agree I think we will be good this year, possibly a wild card spot but it won't be with Geno under center.  Now that we have legitimate weapons on Offense at least the prospect of another QB wanting to come to the Jets won't be so far fetched.  This is why I think the best course right now is to get Mallett (since its basically like drafting a QB that got to already sit behind a future HOF QB and learn, now he needs the opportunity to show what he's learned).  Draft a QB project mid draft and see what sparks with them as well.  

Its pretty easy to know when you got a QB that you can believe can get you to the playoffs year in and year out.  You keep getting QBs until you find that.  You don't stick with bottom of the ranking QBs and make excuses about why his performance sucks, it sucks because he sucks.

Anyone that is a Geno Smith believer and hasn't watched the NFL breakdowns of him you really should, its quite eye opening on what his weaknesses are, all other teams know what they are and thats why defenses have so much success against him.

http://nflbreakdowns.com/geno-smith-vs-bears-092214/

And Bears fans can harp on their offense all they want, it wasn't as good this year but Bears fans need to acknowledge that their defense is putrid and the real reason they lost the majority of games last year.

I hate NFL fans!

Ancient history, Steve Young.

Who is the last great quarterback that started two consecutive seasons, showed nothing, then exploded into a franchise quarterback?

Yup. Steve Young. Circa 1992. I'll throw in Brett Favre. Circa 1995. And after their 2 lousy first seasons with their original teams they took another 3 years to turn into anything good on their second teams. In fact, the better route to finding a franchise QB is to pick up someone else's 2 or 3 year old train wreck and hope the change of scenery turns him into the next Favre or the next Young.  You should be hoping we get Foles or Bradford, history shows they have a better chance of taking us to the Super Bowl than a homegrown Geno Smith.

SAR I

Here's a fun fact for you. Do you know what year your boy mark Sanchez had his best statistical yr as an NFL QB  ?  In his 3rd yr in Brian Schottenheimer offense, mark Sanchez  had  26 passing TDs to I think 18 ints and the Jets had a miserable yr and got Schottenheimer fired.

If stats won Super Bowls we'd be having a different conversation and Chad Pennington would be in Canton.

SAR I

i'm all for drafting mariota.  as a jets/oregon fan, my boner pants would be on all season.

BUT

if Chip REALLY wants mariota, we got him by the balls.  we request a king's ransom, and if he says no, we just draft mariota.

win, win IMO.

I have no problem with that but I am saying if Mariota is available at 6 that either he or Foles need to be he NY jets starting QB. I have been listening to some sports writers and TV announcers saying that we could go into next year with Geno as QB and take the Eagle package for only draft picks. Anyone thinking Geno will be successful in NY is just imagining. It will never happen.

So these days we can just give a starting QB role to a rookie that has not played in an NFL style offense or shown that he can do things on the field that can translate well to the NFL game because the majority of his work has been to wide open receivers?

You take Foles and leave Mariota to Philly. Under no circumstances should this kid be a Jet. We should be going into the season with Foles/Geno or a Glennon/Geno, which ever one we can pull off. Marcus Mariota will need some time, unless he's in a system that he already knows with a coach that has groomed him since coming out of high school. 

And as for Geno, if he's put into a position to succeed then he could be successful here. I dont mind the criticism of Geno, Im definitely on board with that, but I also know that I didnt like Marty's style of coaching and the fact that when Geno took things into his own hands as a leader to make certain changes or to correct guys lining up in the wrong spots Marty didnt trust him (The Packers game that we won, but lost). Geno's lack of development has to also go on that coaching staff. This is why many of us have been so hyped over Chan Gailey. He understands the position and knows how to get the most out of his QB's ability. 

Do we want a better QB, of course, but I dont believe that there's no way in the world that Geno could ever succeed when we have a coach that has defied the odds on numerous occasions. 

It's hilarious how many Jet fans think we can just pluck a QB out of the air.

If we can get Foles for a kings ransom by trading Kelly Mariota I'm all for it. I also would be happy if we just drafted Mariota.

But when I read things like "let's get Mallett", I'm like are you guys kidding me.

I live in New England, I've seen Mallett play in preseason, he sucks! He has zero touch, he throws the ball high over the middle.

Geno is ALREADY better than Mallett.

I'm willing to give Geno another year with Chan Gailey, legitimate weapons, better Oline, better defense, and the most important thing now that Rex THE QB KILLER is out of here!

Geno has a higher ceiling than Hoyer, Mallett, Moore, Locker, Ponder. It's all about the stupid turnovers, if he can't stop turning the ball over than I have complete faith in Chan & Bowles to sit his azz down.

This Jet fan attitude that "any one is better than Geno" is complete & utter BS!

Geno stinks. Stop convincing yourself that he is a true NFL QB.

Many, many NFL people disagree with you. One guy was talking about how Brady struggled in the beginning of the year in 2013 when they tried to incorporate the rookies Tompkins & the other guy I can't remember right now but both of them were cut.

Listen, I'm not hear climbing on a soapbox that Geno will be great, I'm just saying the story isn't completely written.

He had a Gimpy Decker, a rookie TE, and a new receiver on the other side EVERY FREAKING WEEK! Than Harvin came in.

QBs need time with their receivers!

Marshall is a guy that will FIGHT for the ball! Something this team hasn't seen in a LONG TIME.

Personally I don't think they should have reupped Kerley, if they do have to pick at 6, Cooper or White would really be tough for opponents.

Decker-Marshall-Cooper-Amaro-Ivory (maybe Gurley if he dropped to their high 2nd), or even Duke Johnson.

It would be nice to see Geno START training camp with a full deck of cards.

Until then I'm not giving up on him like everyone else here.

I would only trade 6 pick only if Foles is included. He is a true QB and there is nothing to be cheerful in free agency. Mallet will sign with Houston as that is what they stated as a priority so there goes he. Matt Moore interests me in Miami but he has not played much in the last two years. Locker I would bring in as 2nd QB as he has shown improvement but he is an injury machine. Ponder and Hoyer had their few moments but they are back up material so I need Foles in this trade. I can't go in this season with Geno since he will never get better in this city. I be honest with you, that I think Geno will be better off signing with the CFL where he could improve his skills like Warren Moon did.

Tony... just wanted to say how much I enjoy the Pro-Day write ups you do on www.draftinsider.net

Keep 'em coming!

I would also really like to see Foles land here. I hate missing out on the top LB'ers like Fowler, Ray, Beasley ... but maybe Shaq(Tweener) or Dupree may be there. If not, I go OL with Clemmings, Peat, Flower's or Collins.

Thoughts on who you'd think might be there at #20?

I have to agree with heymangold. If Mariota is there and for some reason the Jets dont like him, we need to get back at least 3 #1s and Foles. Foles by himself isnt worth more than a 3rd right now. Maybe.

Moving from 20 to 6 is too big a jump. Plus the Eagles picks will be in the bottom of tbe first. By making tbis trade, we would be essentially giving up a probably franchise QB for picks that could be similar to Pryor.

So these days we can just give a starting QB role to a rookie that has not played in an NFL style offense or shown that he can do things on the field that can translate well to the NFL game because the majority of his work has been to wide open receivers?

You take Foles and leave Mariota to Philly. Under no circumstances should this kid be a Jet. We should be going into the season with Foles/Geno or a Glennon/Geno, which ever one we can pull off. Marcus Mariota will need some time, unless he's in a system that he already knows with a coach that has groomed him since coming out of high school. 

And as for Geno, if he's put into a position to succeed then he could be successful here. I dont mind the criticism of Geno, Im definitely on board with that, but I also know that I didnt like Marty's style of coaching and the fact that when Geno took things into his own hands as a leader to make certain changes or to correct guys lining up in the wrong spots Marty didnt trust him (The Packers game that we won, but lost). Geno's lack of development has to also go on that coaching staff. This is why many of us have been so hyped over Chan Gailey. He understands the position and knows how to get the most out of his QB's ability. 

Do we want a better QB, of course, but I dont believe that there's no way in the world that Geno could ever succeed when we have a coach that has defied the odds on numerous occasions.

I am sorry to disagree with you but as I said with Sanchez, Geno will never be an above average QB which you need in the NFL. I really think that Geno will be better off as was Doug Flutie and Warren Moon eventually did winding up in Canada. Less pressure and bigger field will be his advantage and maybe he could come back to the NFL. Tim Tebow needed to do this but he chose not. What I like with Mariota is he is a better version of Kapernick and he improves every year. With his size and speed with the right team I could see a successful QB. That is my opinion. Now last year I liked Manziel as he grew on me but he had 2 red flags on him which was he was like Wilson with his size and know how but he was way slower and shiftier than Wilson. Also the biggest red flag was his mind and was it on football. So if the Jets or any other team is looking at Johnny those are big obstacles.

It's hilarious how many Jet fans think we can just pluck a QB out of the air.

If we can get Foles for a kings ransom by trading Kelly Mariota I'm all for it. I also would be happy if we just drafted Mariota.

But when I read things like "let's get Mallett", I'm like are you guys kidding me.

I live in New England, I've seen Mallett play in preseason, he sucks! He has zero touch, he throws the ball high over the middle.

Geno is ALREADY better than Mallett.

I'm willing to give Geno another year with Chan Gailey, legitimate weapons, better Oline, better defense, and the most important thing now that Rex THE QB KILLER is out of here!

Geno has a higher ceiling than Hoyer, Mallett, Moore, Locker, Ponder. It's all about the stupid turnovers, if he can't stop turning the ball over than I have complete faith in Chan & Bowles to sit his azz down.

This Jet fan attitude that "any one is better than Geno" is complete & utter BS!

Any real Jet fan can see there has not been any improvement from year 1 to year 2. Sorry can't go through that again.

Any real Jet fan can see there has not been any improvement from year 1 to year 2. Sorry can't go through that again.

Well we'll see.

I can tell you this, Bowles will yank him quicker than sh*t if he runs around without securing the ball like he did a couple of times last year. But he'll be on the roster. I mean we have fans here saying we should cut him,lol.

Well we'll see.

I can tell you this, Bowles will yank him quicker than sh*t if he runs around without securing the ball like he did a couple of times last year. But he'll be on the roster. I mean we have fans here saying we should cut him,lol.

We won't cut him but he will have to earn his spot on the roster which would be a good thing for him.

Looks like pick 6 might have just gone up in value possibly.

(CBS) The behind-the-scenes game between agents and front offices is well underway with the NFL Draft set to begin April 30.

As it pertains to the Bears and their No. 7 overall pick, ESPN NFL reporter Sal Paolantonio shared an interesting nugget during an interview on 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia.

The Bears have their eye on Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, according to … wait for it … Mariota’s agency, Rep1 Sports, which is run by cousins Bruce and Ryan Tollner.

“First and foremost, Tampa Bay is one,” Paolantonio said in the radio interview when asked what teams are interested in Mariota. “Tennessee is two. New York Jets is three (at No. 6 overall). This is according to Tollner, and they’ve obviously studied this because they got Mariota and they had to make this presentation to the young man before they got to be his agent. St. Louis, obviously. Then he dropped three teams on me in a row, one of which was not surprising — Philadelphia. And then Houston and then Chicago. I said, ‘Chicago, really? They have (Jay) Cutler.’ He said, ‘Absolutely Chicago. I’ve heard from Chicago quite a bit. They’re very interested in Mariota.'”

So, what to make of it? That’s the million-dollar question.

The Bears are in dire need of help on the defensive side of the ball, but with Jay Cutler not playing up to his big-money contract and the NFL as pass-happy as ever, they have to keep a watch out for their quarterback of the future as well.

From the agency’s perspective, it’s always beneficial to have a client in high demand. If that means stretching the truth, well, that’s what agents are paid to do — get their client as much money as possible.

“I think smoke screen more than anything else,” CBSChicago.com Bears beat writer Dan Durkin said Thursday morning in an interview on 670 The Score. “I think (they’re) drumming up interest … to entice a team like the Rams (at No. 10) to trade up.

“When I look at Mariota, I don’t see the fit for the Bears.

“He played in a system where a lot of the decisions were made before the ball was snapped … (and) I’m not sure his arm strength would hold up in (windy) Chicago.”

Link

It is the hardest position to play in the NFL. That is why.

Actually the problem with the QB position is that teams are putting guys on the field too early with little to no experience.

Indecision in this league means you take hellacious shots from 300 LB lineman.

Hard to learn when your running for your life.

It's a serious problem for the NFL. What is this league gonna look like in a few years when Manning, Brady, Rivers, Brees, Rothlisberger, get old & start retiring?

You'll have Luck, Wilson, Ryan & Cam (Ryans overrated, talk about a guy having weapons!, Julio Jones/ White/ Gonzalez, give me a break!). Cams average playing from the pocket.

If the Jets were smart & Mariota falls in their lap at 6 you take him! Hell, having an AVERAGE QB in the not distant future could get you in the playoffs every year.

We have got to find our QB with this new regime. Of course if he drops to 6 & Kelly trades the farm with Foles included you could use one of those picks for a Bryce Petty.

Foles-Geno-Petty would be nice going forward. Increases our chances quite a bit that someone will emerge.

Archived