Jets to court Ryan Mallett?

jetscrazey

Let me start off by saying I watched the coaches film of Mallett's only start in Cleveland last season before he got injured.  I came away quite impressed.  He was decisive, read the defense well, and has a reasonably quick release in addition to his big arm.  He throws the quick hitch as good as anyone, it was like telepathy between him and Andre Johnson.  It was a very windy day so couldn't really judge his deep ball.

Granted we only have 1 full game of film on this guy but he seems like the best chance to develop into a good starting QB from all the guys who will hit the open market.  I think Maccagnan has his eye on him with his history in Houston.

I find Mallet very interesting.

whose not better than Geno ?

According to total QBR the only QB ranked behind Geno is Blake Bortles.  And lets be honest anyone with 2 eyes knows Blake Bortles is waaaay better than Geno.  He had a sh*ttier OL and sh*ttier weapons in his rookie season.

So yes, I'll pretty much take a shiny pile of sh*t on a plate instead of Geno at this point.  I'm not against keeping Geno and long term develop to a competent backup but I wouldn't bother investing anymore resources in putting him under center.

Mallett is a statue. Only way a statue consistently succeeds in today's NFL is if he reads defenses before the snap like #12 or #18... or gets 6 seconds every play from his o-line. Mallett is no HOFer and the Jets pass protection is below average.

Otherwise, the best a team can hope for is a poor man's version of Phillip Rivers, aka Elvis Grbac. Inconsistent and heavily reliant on supporting pieces. Not much of a ceiling.

Mallett is a shade above worthless.

If anything, he's the only FA QB who has an ounce of potential. Everyone else are either mediocre or worse. Why not put the full court press on a guy who could become a good to great starter? Worst case scenario Geno beats him out, not the end of the world. Go for him.

If anything, he's the only FA QB who has an ounce of potential. Everyone else are either mediocre or worse. Why not put the full court press on a guy who could become a good to great starter? Worst case scenario Geno beats him out, not the end of the world. Go for him.

Elvis Grbac clone.

Elvis Grbac clone.

If he turns out to be Grbac, who cares? We're not giving this guy 10 million, he could be better than Grbac, I know you don't believe so but there are people who believe he can succeed in the NFL. Realistically no one knows how he will be, because he's started in what? like 2-3 NFL games? 

man that would be the end of Malletts world.  Can you imagine getting beat out by the worst ranked QB of the year before.... Damn... Might as well retire after that.

Mallett is a sitting duck in the pocket, and while he can throw the ball through a brick wall, he still hasn't developed the touch necessary to make some standard NFL throws consistently. To be honest, I like Geno's skill set better for the Chan Gailey (Bills era) offense than Mallett. If we are trying to create competition, it doesn't have to be a veteran. An unproven veteran provides little more than a rookie in a QB competition, but cost more for less years.

YES!!! Go get him maccagan!!

I don't understand fans complaining about mallett? Who else is out there? The guy was well-coached in NE, well-coached in Houston--his time is now.

Complain about a QB who can't move well? C'mon man...half the QBs in the league can't move well.

I'm also excited that the report said he wants to test the market. We have the money and I'm sure if the staff really likes him we'll give him the best offer without eating up a ton of cap space. Our WR situation has improved and he's gotta know that he'd win the QB competition blindfolded.

I hope this happens.

YES!!! Go get him maccagan!!

I don't understand fans complaining about mallett? Who else is out there? The guy was well-coached in NE, well-coached in Houston--his time is now.

Complain about a QB who can't move well? C'mon man...half the QBs in the league can't move well.

I'm also excited that the report said he wants to test the market. We have the money and I'm sure if the staff really likes him we'll give him the best offer without eating up a ton of cap space. Our WR situation has improved and he's gotta know that he'd win the QB competition blindfolded.

I hope this happens.

Half don't move well? Let's look.

AFC East:

Tanne, Geno, EJ all move well

Brady is a no but very clever sliding in the pocket

AFC North:

Ben, Flacco, and Cleveland trash all move pretty well.

AFC South: Luck and Bortles are mobile.

Mettenberger doesn't.

AFC west: Carr and Smith are mobile.

Manning and Rivers are not.

NFC West: Kaep and Wilson are great athletes.

Bradford not so much but not a statue. Palmer doesnt move well.

NFCE: RG3 and Romo yes.

Eli and Foles no.

NFCN: Stafford, Rogers, Teddy, Cutler... all yes.

NFCS: Cam yes.

Ryan no.

Brees is in the Bradford category... not a runner but underrated in movement.

Admittedly, more QBs than I thought are immobile but not quite half. Closer to a 1/3 of them. Still, a lack of mobility requires Hall of Fame credentials... or smarts, a quick release, good pass protection and quality WRs. Being able to buy a little time is quite useful.

Half don't move well? Let's look.

AFC East:

Tanne, Geno, EJ all move well

Brady is a no but very clever sliding in the pocket

AFC North:

Ben, Flacco, and Cleveland trash all move pretty well.

AFC South: Luck and Bortles are mobile.

Mettenberger doesn't.

AFC west: Carr and Smith are mobile.

Manning and Rivers are not.

NFC West: Kaep and Wilson are great athletes.

Bradford not so much but not a statue. Palmer doesnt move well.

NFCE: RG3 and Romo yes.

Eli and Foles no.

NFCN: Stafford, Rogers, Teddy, Cutler... all yes.

NFCS: Cam yes.

Ryan no.

Brees is in the Bradford category... not a runner but underrated in movement.

Admittedly, more QBs than I thought are immobile but not quite half. Closer to a 1/3 of them. Still, a lack of mobility requires Hall of Fame credentials... or smarts, a quick release, good pass protection and quality WRs. Being able to buy a little time is quite useful.

Did you watch him in college? I'm honestly asking because that's the only place you would have seen if he was immobile or not. I've read a bunch of scouting reports and they say that he is mobile in the pocket. He's not going to roll out, he's not going to get yards with his legs but he side steps well and keeps his eyes downfield. For a QB his size, that's worth a lot.

Unless you've seen all 75 of his NFL pass attempts, and have been able to make an informed judgement or you watched him extensively in college and have a different opinion from most scouts, I'm not sure what you're basing your opinion on.

Archived