Jets to sign OG James Carpenter

jetfuel

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to a report from Fox Sports' Mike Garafolo, In an attempt to bolster their offensive line the New York Jets have agreed to terms with free agent guard James Carpenter, formerly of the Seattle Seahawks.  Terms of the deal are unknown at this time and the deal will not become official until Carpenter can sign at 4pm EST per NFL rules.  Until then, Carpenter is free to go elsewhere should the deal hit a snag.

The 6' 5'', 325 lb Georgia native spent two years at the junior college level before transferring to the University of Alabama where he would start for the Crimson Tide at left tackle for the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

Following the 2010 season, Carpenter's NFL.com scouting report had this to say:

Carpenter has a chance to end up as a starter and certainly has the ability to provide valuable depth as a backup. Looks the part of an NFL left tackle with his great size and frame. At this stage, Carpenter grades out as a good pass blocker but just adequate in the running game. His game could benefit from some improved awareness in blitz pickup. Would become more valuable as a run blocker with increased strength and power. Carpenter should hear his name called during the middle rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft.

The Seattle Seahawks surprised some pundits on draft day when they selected Carpenter with the 25th overall pick with the intention of inserting him at the right tackle position.  Carpenter struggled during his rookie year before being placed on IR with a season-ending ACL injury in week 10.  Upon returning, the Seahawks moved Carpenter inside to play guard, but concussions and more knee problems forced Carpenter to miss a total of nine games in year two.  Since that time however, he has remained relatively healthy but has started just 23 of the 29 games in which he's played over that span.

According to PFF.com, Carpenter has shown steady improvement in pass protection, but has consistently graded out poorly in the running game which supports his pre-draft scouting report.  Carpenter's overall grade of -6.6 places him 47th among 78 guards.  His pass protection score of 1.4 has him at no. 27 of 78, and  his run block rating of -6.3 puts him in the bottom third of the NFL at no. 62 of 78.

In addition, Carpenter was fifth in the NFL in penalties among offensive lineman with 8, but did mange to keep quarterback Russell Wilson clean in surrendering zero sacks, four QB hits and fourteen hurries during the 2014 season.

According to  Garafolo, Carpenter was the third lineman the Jets pursued in free agency after losing out on 49ers pro-bolwer Mike Iupati who agreed to join the Arizona Cardinals, and Orlando Franklin who opted to move from Denver to San Diego to sign with the Chargers.

Carpenter is a LG, but the way.

I'm guessing they'd be able to  move him around if need be since he played LT in college and some RT as a rook.  Either way, if PFF is to be believed, he's got some work to do.

Carpenter started 13 games in 2014 and was ranked 47th out of 78 guards on PFF with an overall score of -6.6

is negative 6 bad ?

It's not terrible IMO because the -6 is cumulative over the course of a season.  They consider any grade in a game of -1.0 - 1.0 to be "average" since it doesn't deviate all that far from their starting point of 0.0.  If a guy has a bunch of "average" games but most of them are toward the -1.0 side of average, his cumulative score is going to add up to be below average.

For a full range, the top rated OG in the NFL was a +43.4 and the worst was -32.6.

Not the guy I wanted. Hopefully we land 2 OGs. The other being Boling.

Surprised we haven't heard Boling's name.  He's the guy I was hoping for and Dyer dropped his name as a guy they would pursue a week or two ago.

Carpenter is a good not great player, Lynch ran over his side quite a bit and was on his side on SB run to the one yd line.

Has had knee issues in the past, JC player who started right away for Bama. Not sure this site can tolerate another Tide playa

I don't understand this signing, They are better Guards (IMO) out there.  He is a much better guard than tackle and since he moved to guard he became much more productive. But don't think he can play outside, he got beat out by Breno at tackle, and you guys don't even like him at tackle.  

I don't understand this signing, They are better Guards (IMO) out there.  He is a much better guard than tackle and since he moved to guard he became much more productive. But don't think he can play outside, he got beat out by Breno at tackle, and you guys don't even like him at tackle.  

Carpenter never played RT, where are you pulling up this crap, he has been LG in Seattle since his rook yr. he played LT at Bama

stop making sh1t up dude

Breno is a RG

Carpenter never played RT, where are you pulling up this crap, he has been LG in Seattle since his rook yr. he played LT at Bama

stop making sh1t up dude

Breno is a RG

He played RT before he got hurt as a rookie.  Moved inside to play G when he recovered.

Iupati is a monster in the run game/sucks in pass protection: I CANT BELIEVE WE DIDNT SIGN HIM. WHAT ARE THEY DOING?? WE'RE GOING TO BE A RUNNING TEAM.

This guy sucks in the run game: GREAT SIGNING. GOOD PRICE!

I agree he would've been the perfect fit, but I don't think anything we did would've gotten him to come out here.

From Cal., played at Idaho, then Sf. He wasn't leaving the west coast

Honestly don't remember him playing RT in sea, he got injured early in his rook yr

he was also a surprise 1st rd pick

Not very early...played the first nine games of the season...debuted in wk 1 at G, then played weeks 2-10 at RT.  Gave up six sacks in nine games but looks to have improved since.  Hell, with those numbers he'd be out of the league if he hadn't.

Before everyone goes off on Carpenter, hopefully nobody lies and says
"when I watched SEA I focused on their guard play".  We all know that's
not true, let's deal with facts:

- Bowles has had to scheme against SEA offense for the past two years
so he knows Carpenter's game

- Maccagnan was a Scouting Director when Carpenter came out of ALA so
he knows Carpenter's game

- Granted Marshawn Lynch is a beast but SEA OLine has something to do
with him being successful.  And on top of that they are a good running
team when they use other RB's

- We were linked to Carpenter by Tony Pauline back on February 21 so
obviously we targeted him - http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?s=james+carpenter

So I'm going to trust my GM & HC over any fan's opinion or analytic site

The jury is out on Carpenter.  I'm interested to see how much we got him for.  That being said we had to improve at guard.  He might not be the best but from what was left he was the best and he is an improvement from what we have.  Hopefully he stays in shape and plays well.  Behind Iupatai and Franklin who else were we going to sign?  

The jury is out on Carpenter.  I'm interested to see how much we got him for.  That being said we had to improve at guard.  He might not be the best but from what was left he was the best and he is an improvement from what we have.  Hopefully he stays in shape and plays well.  Behind Iupatai and Franklin who else were we going to sign?  

Was hoping for Clint Boling personally...looking forward to watching a little bit of Carpenter on film this week.

stop making sh1t up dude

Breno is a RG

First, Breno is a RT not a guard.

Carpenter played tackle as a rookie and got kicked back inside.

Now please, think before you post. The old "let people think you are a fool rather than speak and confirm it." 

This was the part I didn't like.  That was my major problem with Colon. 

Yeah...when I was looking it up I was hoping it would be one or two, but at least it wasn't 14.

This was the part I didn't like. That was my major problem with Colon.

I don't know the penalty breakdown, but the few times I watched the Seahawks I saw a few holding penalties on broken plays where Russell was scrambling. Happens a lot of times with mobile QBs. Colon was just a dickbag, hopefully Carpenter isn't.

I don't know the penalty breakdown, but the few times I watched the Seahawks I saw a few holding penalties on broken plays where Russell was scrambling. Happens a lot of times with mobile QBs. Colon was just a dickbag, hopefully Carpenter isn't.

Good point.  There is a big difference between a hold where the QB changes direction on his rollout and consistent offsides penalties.

Fans don't realize how much easier it is for the oline to pass block for a Brady/Manning than these guys that run around with thier heads cut off.  Brady is there 7 yards behind the center don't let anyone with 3 yards of him.  They criticize iupati for pass blocking and he never knows where the qb is!

Before everyone goes off on Carpenter, hopefully nobody lies and says

"when I watched SEA I focused on their guard play".  We all know that's

not true, let's deal with facts:

- Bowles has had to scheme against SEA offense for the past two years

so he knows Carpenter's game

- Maccagnan was a Scouting Director when Carpenter came out of ALA so

he knows Carpenter's game

- Granted Marshawn Lynch is a beast but SEA OLine has something to do

with him being successful.  And on top of that they are a good running

team when they use other RB's

- We were linked to Carpenter by Tony Pauline back on February 21 so

obviously we targeted him - http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?s=james+carpenter

So I'm going to trust my GM & HC over any fan's opinion or analytic site

Good post...

Thanks...honestly makes me feel better.

Only concern we heard basically the same story with Giacomini...Seattles great running game, Idzik's ties etc...

Archived