Big Thanks to Woody Johnson

AFJF

I'm sure some will disagree but since the day the season ended Woody has done all the right things.

Blurb from the front-page article on Revis coming back:

With the size of this contract and history between Revis and the Jets, some credit should go to owner Woody Johnson.  Having limped to a 4-12 record last season,  Johnson knew that this would be a critical time for his franchise.  He started out on the right foot by utilizing the highly respected duo of Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf in his search for a new general manager and head coach.  Upon naming Maccagnan and Bowles respectively, the early consensus from multiple league sources was that he got it right.

Moving toward free agency, there was a feeling that Johnson would push his new front office to do whatever necessary to keep heading in the right direction by bringing Revis back to MetLife stadium.  The owner had to make a statement to the fan base.  They had to know that he viewed 4-12 as being just as unacceptable as his paying customers did.  That could have been accomplished by signing any number of high-profile agents on the market, but credit Johnson for swallowing his pride, and going back to the negotiating table with Revis’ reps, Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod.  Johnson has publicly acknowledged the difficulties in negotiation with the duo at times, but he didn’t allow it prevent a deal from being consummated and gave the go-ahead for Maccagnan to make it happen.

Its funny how quickly fans forgive and forget Revis for all the sh*t he pulled.  Look i dislike Woody Johnson as a owner BUT he made the right move trading Revis a couple years ago.  Lets not act like Revis is here because he "missed" being a Jets, thats bullsh*t.  Basically Woody bent over and gave Revis what he wants most which is money.  Revis is a great talent i have never denied that but the guy is a greedy ass as well

Its funny how quickly fans forgive and forget Revis for all the sh*t he pulled. Look i dislike Woody Johnson as a owner BUT he made the right move trading Revis a couple years ago. Lets not act like Revis is here because he "missed" being a Jets, thats bullsh*t. Basically Woody bent over and gave Revis what he wants most which is money. Revis is a great talent i have never denied that but the guy is a greedy ass as well

If my career was only say, 10 -12 years, I'd milk it for everything it's worth. Nothing wrong with it. What's wrong is crying about a contract a year into it.

Its funny how quickly fans forgive and forget Revis for all the sh*t he pulled.  Look i dislike Woody Johnson as a owner BUT he made the right move trading Revis a couple years ago.  Lets not act like Revis is here because he "missed" being a Jets, thats bullsh*t.  Basically Woody bent over and gave Revis what he wants most which is money.  Revis is a great talent i have never denied that but the guy is a greedy ass as well

I won't pretend for one second.  I hated Revis for the stuff he pulled and I was glad to see him go.  After last season though, watching that secondary give up big play after big play on third down I just wanted the Jets to get some great CB's even if it meant bringing back a guy I was happy to see leave.  If I'd known we were going to replace him with Dmitri  Patterson I may have felt differently but at this point I just want this team to contend so I've moved on.

I won't pretend for one second.  I hated Revis for the stuff he pulled and I was glad to see him go.  After last season though, watching that secondary give up big play after big play on third down I just wanted the Jets to get some great CB's even if it meant bringing back a guy I was happy to see leave.  If I'd known we were going to replace him with Dmitri  Patterson I may have felt differently but at this point I just want this team to contend so I've moved on

Dont get me wrong as a great CB im glad he is back here.  I agree our secodnary sucked ass last year and was a main reason we were so bad other than Geno.  Thats the not the point.  My point is that our fans act like Revis did some humble thing by coming back.  Fans need to realize that he is back ONLY because of the contract.  If New England had more cap space he probably would have gone back(if he really wanted to win)

Dont get me wrong as a great CB im glad he is back here.  I agree our secodnary sucked ass last year and was a main reason we were so bad other than Geno.  Thats the not the point.  My point is that our fans act like Revis did some humble thing by coming back.  Fans need to realize that he is back ONLY because of the contract.  If New England had more cap space he probably would have gone back(if he really wanted to win)

Agreed....I'm not saying nobody feels that way but I've yet to hear anyone say Revis came back because he loves the Jets. I just like that Woody put ego aside and wrote the check.

Agreed....I'm not saying nobody feels that way but I've yet to hear anyone say Revis came back because he loves the Jets. I just like that Woody put ego aside and wrote the check.

All fans are different.  I can be forgiving if i feel the player has changed.  Look im not praising Woody but i have had no problem with the way he handled Revis.  Even last year who could have figured BOTH milliner and mcdougle would miss the whole season and Patterson would go AWOL.  Im not saying Idzik should be let off the hook at all but we had some weird and rare circumstaces

Whatever. Get a competent QB then I'll thank him.

Easier said than done...not a whole lot of them out there.  Despite the fact that they don't like him all that much, the Bucs may not be willing to part with Glennon w/ no other viable QB on the roster.

The title of this thread makes my nipples itch. The guy has been one of the dumbest and most conceited weenies in sports since he took over, I'm not willing to throw 15 years' worth of incompetence based on 2 days worth of offseason work. Let's not start sucking each other's cocks quite yet.

The title of this thread makes my nipples itch. The guy has been one of the dumbest and most conceited weenies in sports since he took over, I'm not willing to throw 15 years' worth of incompetence based on 2 days worth of offseason work. Let's not start sucking each other's cocks quite yet.

You said it better than mine lets not go overboard hah

And also, let's get one thing straight right now, the only reason we're drafting at 6 and not at 2 is because Woody is too ******* idiotic to realize he needed to pull the cord on Rex at the bye. And so far as we know he's still injecting himself into the scouting and free agency processes, despite being directly responsible for several catastrophes over the years in both those departments. But hey, let's fellate the rich guy for opening up his checkbook.

Maccagnan had better savor this week as GM. He'll never have another one like it. A team with a bunch of holes that he wasn't responsible for digging, with (after cutting Harvin) some $65M to fill them with, followed by the #6 pick next month. We need a WR and out of nowhere a HOF WR (still not quite 31 yet) gets dangled for a 5th rounder. And he gets credit for bringing back Revis when all he did was outbid everyone when we had the most money to spend. He gets to pick up career meh Ryan Fitzpatrick - actually trade a pick to get him - and he's heralded a hero by many even for that!

What a marvelous week this must be for him. 

He's an owner who has always left the decisions up to his football people.  When he realized he wasn't hiring the right people he fixed it.  I can respect that.

Maccagnan had better savor this week as GM. He'll never have another one like it. A team with a bunch of holes that he wasn't responsible for digging, with (after cutting Harvin) some $65M to fill them with, followed by the #6 pick next month. We need a WR and out of nowhere a HOF WR (still not quite 31 yet) gets dangled for a 5th rounder. And he gets credit for bringing back Revis when all he did was outbid everyone when we had the most money to spend. He gets to pick up career meh Ryan Fitzpatrick - actually trade a pick to get him - and he's heralded a hero by many even for that!

I am not a psychologist but I believe the medical terminology for it is wtfiswrongwithyoupeople.

What was your hire date?

Naturally...the owner of a team I root for makes a few great decisions and I say "good job"....clearly I'm working for the team.

Hey--if he's got mojo, then I will take mojo.

I'm sure some will disagree but since the day the season ended Woody has done all the right things.

Blurb from the front-page article on Revis coming back:

With the size of this contract and history between Revis and the Jets, some credit should go to owner Woody Johnson.  Having limped to a 4-12 record last season,  Johnson knew that this would be a critical time for his franchise.  He started out on the right foot by utilizing the highly respected duo of Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf in his search for a new general manager and head coach.  Upon naming Maccagnan and Bowles respectively, the early consensus from multiple league sources was that he got it right.

Moving toward free agency, there was a feeling that Johnson would push his new front office to do whatever necessary to keep heading in the right direction by bringing Revis back to MetLife stadium.  The owner had to make a statement to the fan base.  They had to know that he viewed 4-12 as being just as unacceptable as his paying customers did.  That could have been accomplished by signing any number of high-profile agents on the market, but credit Johnson for swallowing his pride, and going back to the negotiating table with Revis’ reps, Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod.  Johnson has publicly acknowledged the difficulties in negotiation with the duo at times, but he didn’t allow it prevent a deal from being consummated and gave the go-ahead for Maccagnan to make it happen.

When I read the title of this I was hoping when I opened it I would see...... Thanks for botching the west side stadium, building a big toilet bowl of a stadium with our cross town rivals, not knowing the basic rules of tampering during a nationally televised press conference, and bogging us down as a franchise in a swamp of mediocrity and broken dreams.

You Rock Woody!!!!!

What would Izdick have done? That determines if we're better off with Mac on the buttons. My guess is that he would still be in a bidding match with NE, patiently upping the ante one nickel at a time while nothing else got done and possibly even blowing that negotiation.

HOF WR? Who dat? Becuase there certainly isn't one on our roster.

All he did was outbid everyone else? What else was he supposed to do, promise to blow him every other Tuesday?

The Fitz thing was a solid move. I am a proponent of trading 7th rounders for guys you'd like on your roster, even if they are not projected to be starters, just to insure they don't land somewhere else.

If Fitz ends up being a stop gap for a young QB, or just a solid back up, it's important to have a veteran in those spots. If we didn't have Gailey I wouldn't be interested, but it's a no brainer with our offensive staff

My thanks to Woody Johnson is that he finally opened his eyes and realized he employed a bunch of A-holes. Yes men or whatever you want to call them. He then went out and hired NFL people to help him hire top level talent with apparently a green light to clean house.

Clean house they did. We'll see how well the scouting department did in 6 weeks so I won't go overboard on them yet. I fully expect that every marginal pos player we have endured in the past will be gone over the coming months. Bye Bye Kyle. The "he gives us the best chance to win" days are over. Play at 100% or get on the bus. The best players play.

Meeeevis .. I'm having mixed feelings here. He's a great player no doubt. Welcome back, just don't start up with the Meeeeeevis crap in 2016 by sitting home saying I wanna new contract. Be a man. You signed your deal now honor it. Now help us get Cro back.

Geno / Fitzpatrick -- Look Geno is another turnover machine. Fitzy is nothing to write home about according to what I'm reading here today but he's better than Geno. This is my only disappointment so far in FA. Not sure what else we could have done as the pickin's were slim.

Like what's been done so far. Keep going.

My thanks to Woody Johnson is that he finally opened his eyes and realized he employed a bunch of A-holes. Yes men or whatever you want to call them. He then went out and hired NFL people to help him hire top level talent with apparently a green light to clean house.

Pretty much sums up where I'm coming from. 

Archived