Chan Gailey just put the nail in the coffin on the 2015 season

jetscrazey

If some fans get over their personal agendas they will see this makes the most sense for the team.  I have seen this coming for months and while I would have had no problem with an open competition, I understand the logic behind naming Smith the starter so he can get all the first team reps and build as much chemistry as possible and put to bed any qb controversies before they begin.    Fitz is here to provide veteran leadership and be the back up; period. 

For anyone to watch that PC video and not come away with the fact that Gailey is committed to Geno Smith, is beyond me.  I mean also states that Fitzpatrick was told BEFORE the trade that Geno would be the starter so he knew that coming in.   That is pretty definitive to me; and I am not surprised in the least.  As I have stated in many posts before; this is and always has been, Genos job to lose.  Folks need to get over themselves and root for the guy to succeed.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he said what a coach should say..if fitz/petty light it up and geno has horrid scheme and read mistakes all preseason (and practice/in class skull sessions) he wont start. bowles isnt a fool.

Of course, and when he doesn't make those mistakes he will continue starting.   I swear it is like folks WANT him to fail so bad......  

I'd rather one guy get the majority of the reps with the first team, preferably Geno, since he doesn't know the system as well as Fitz, plus Geno has a higher upside.

Hopefully Geno plays well and improves off last year's finish, if not we have Fitz to step in who's experienced with Gailey.

Not a big deal to me......but I also haven't totally given up on Geno either as some have. He's still young, played with crap at WR for a good 60-70% of his NFL games (and in the other 30% or so he really only had Decker and an inconsistent Kerley). Now he has some weapons, so let's see what he can do.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

There is competition at our DLine (players trying to get spots), a top rookie competing for playing time.

There is competition in our secondary (young players pushing for playing time like McDoogle and last years starters fighting for jobs)

There is even some competition on the OL particularly at Guard position.

There is no competition at QB; Fitz is hurt (may even start season on PUP?), Petty is a 1-2 year project, etc.  What should the coaches say?  Should they claim there is competition when there isn't?

Gailey was being honest; he just doesn't see how Geno won't win the starting job; he doesn't see how he is going to loose the job in TC.  If he claimed there was competition at QB he would loose all credibility; no when they say there is competition people (especially the players) will believe them.

This isn't Rex claiming that Geno is a top 10 QB.  This isn't Idzik saying there will be competition at all levels and then not bringing in players to compete.

What was Gailey supposed to say?  There is a big competition at QB?  Or, we don't have competition, but Geno sucks and I have no faith in him?  He is being realistic and trying to support his only real starter with optimism.  Rex talked superbowls, and that other teams starters would be sitting on our bench; Gailey is saying realistically that Geno is likely to be the starter (actually he said probably) and that he has shown flashes and potential in college.  Big difference.

If anything, Gailey has, IMHO, build a great deal of credibility in my mind.  Now, like other areas, he needs to execute and find a way to make Geno not loose us games.

Well. Guess we might as well start the music to the Karate Kid at preseason camp: "You're the best. Around. No one can going to ever keep you down!"

That's what I'm talking about! Lol

There is competition at our DLine (players trying to get spots), a top rookie competing for playing time.

There is competition in our secondary (young players pushing for playing time like McDoogle and last years starters fighting for jobs)

There is no competition at QB; Fitz is hurt (may even start season on PUP?), Petty is a 1-2 year project, etc.  What should the coaches say?  Should they claim there is competition when there isn't?

Gailey was being honest; he just doesn't see how Geno won't win the starting job; he doesn't see how he is going to loose the job in TC.  If he claimed there was competition at QB he would loose all credibility; no when they say there is competition people (especially the players) will believe them.

This isn't Rex claiming that Geno is a top 10 QB.  This isn't Idzik saying there will be competition at all levels and then not bringing in players to compete.

What was Gailey supposed to say?  There is a big competition at QB?  Or, we don't have competition, but Geno sucks and I have no faith in him?  He is being realistic and trying to support his only real starter with optimism.  Rex talked superbowls, and that other teams starters would be sitting on our bench; Gailey is saying realistically that Geno is likely to be the starter (actually he said probably) and that he has shown flashes and potential in college.  Big difference.

If anything, Gailey has, IMHO, build a great deal of credibility in my mind.  Now, like other areas, he needs to execute and find a way to make Geno not loose us games.

Excellent post. 

I didn't hear the whole question, but did they ask Chan who the Jets starting quarterback was going to be this season, or this afternoon?

I'd rather one guy get the majority of the reps with the first team, preferably Geno, since he doesn't know the system as well as Fitz, plus Geno has a higher upside.

Hopefully Geno plays well and improves off last year's finish, if not we have Fitz to step in who's experienced with Gailey.

Not a big deal to me......but I also haven't totally given up on Geno either as some have. He's still young, played with crap at WR for a good 60-70% of his NFL games (and in the other 30% or so he really only had Decker and an inconsistent Kerley). Now he has some weapons, so let's see what he can do.

Seems pretty simple to me...  

You know who in MY mind "looses" credibility? The new head coach who, correct me if I'm wrong here or not but doesn't the head coach usually make the call as to who wins and looses the starting quarterback spot? I could be looseing my mind or maybe my pants are too lose and I need a new belt before they fall off my ass

I didn't hear the whole question, but did they ask Chan who the Jets starting quarterback was going to be this season, or this afternoon?

They asked would Geno be starter for the first regular season game.   Gailey don't want to go there, but basically said, "If you are asking me if I expect him to be our starter (when the season starts) then my answer is probably."  Didn't leave a lot of wiggle room....  

Of all the posts on the topic I'd say this one is closest to the truth.   I honestly didn't see any  excitement in Galiley's presser.  It seemed to me like resignation to an unavoidable truth.  Of course he's gong to say positive things about his starting QB.

Only thing that makes sense to me about this is Fitz won't be ready to go.  Gailey is once again going to attempt to make a silk purse out of a horses ass.

We'll see what kind of magic he can spin with another gad product.  

You know who in MY mind "looses" credibility? The new head coach who, correct me if I'm wrong here or not but doesn't the head coach usually make the call as to who wins and looses the starting quarterback spot? I could be looseing my mind or maybe my pants are too lose and I need a new belt before they fall off my ass

To be fair, he didn't go to the press and say Geno will start; they asked him who was going to be the starter for the first game and he didn't want to answer; when pressed he basically said he wouldn't say but it is probably Geno.  

It was coordinators day and the media was talking directly to the coordinators.  I don't see this as a power play or that the HC has lost his coaches; I see it as a coordinator that was presented to the media was backed against the wall and asked his opinion giving his job as OC on what he thought would be the case...

To be fair, he didn't go to the press and say Geno will start; they asked him who was going to be the starter for the first game and he didn't want to answer; when pressed he basically said he wouldn't say but it is probably Geno.  

It was coordinators day and the media was talking directly to the coordinators.  I don't see this as a power play or that the HC has lost his coaches; I see it as a coordinator that was presented to the media was backed against the wall and asked his opinion giving his job as OC on what he thought would be the case...

Thanks bmj and welcome to the site

What he actually said when asked directly  was, "Don't make me say yes, but probably"      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Coordinators-Corner-OTA-Edition/65a7b459-117a-4a44-af4f-7cdb6a75b4b5

see 3:15 in

Was he also backed into the wall when he said that Fitz was told PRIOR to being signed the Geno was the # 1 and Fitz would be his back up (unless he totally sh*t the bed etc.)?  No need to downplay what the man said.  He was very clear and also very clear about his reasons when asked.   I agree it wasn't some power play but he was very direct and straight forward about Geno being the clear cut # 1.   

Why Chan Gailey's comments don't lock in Geno Smith as Jets' starting quarterback

Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Print Email Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on May 21, 2015 at 12:46 PM, updated May 21, 2015 at 1:02 PM

Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey created quite a stir Wednesday, when he said he wouldn't begin training camp planning to hold an open quarterback competition between Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Gailey went so far as to say Smith would "probably" be the Week 1 starter.

But does this mean that Smith definitely, absolutely will win the job out of camp? Of course not. The coaching staff's aversion to splitting first-team training camp snaps between Smith and Fitzpatrick — something head coach Todd Bowles hinted at back in March — doesn't guarantee Smith will play well enough this summer to prove he's the best possible starting quarterback for this team.

Nothing Gailey said Wednesday locks in Smith as the starter, for Smith's third season. Yes, Smith is the preferable option, because he is younger and, thus, has more potential as a long-term starter than Fitzpatrick, who is 32. All along, Gailey and Bowles were going to give Smith every opportunity to show he deserved the job — as they should. The Jets invested a second-round draft pick in Smith. You don't cut ties with a second-round quarterback until you're absolutely sure he isn't your guy going forward.

But Gailey and Bowles are by no means contractually obligated to start Smith in Week 1, regardless of what Gailey said Wednesday. They are contractually obligated to try to win games for the Jets. No NFL coach or coordinator in his right mind would stubbornly stick with a struggling quarterback — not for long, anyway — if he believed he had a better option on the bench who could actually win games.

It's worth remembering what Bowles said in March about Smith, when Bowles mentioned that Smith would begin camp as the starter.

"You take positions in training camp," Bowles said. "You're first-team, you want to stay first-team, you do your job. If you're not, you don't do your job. But we haven't seen Geno in a quarterbacking situation, so I'm not saying he's not going to be the quarterback or he is going to be the quarterback. He just starts out there."

Since Bowles said that, the Jets have held exactly five practices — three in a voluntary veteran minicamp last month, and two this week during organized team activities, with a third OTA practice occurring Thursday. The Jets have yet to even put pads on. Smith has yet to face the actual pressure of a pass rush.

At this point, nobody really knows if Smith will be better in Year 3, after committing 25 turnovers as a rookie and 16 last season. And guess what? If he isn't better — which is entirely possible, given his track record — then the Jets don't have to start him.

Upon further examination, much of what Gailey said Wednesday reflected his optimistic approach to analyzing his quarterbacks, particularly young quarterbacks who deserve every chance to gather themselves before you give up on them.

He said Smith "deserves the opportunity to be the guy," and he's right. Smith is a physically gifted player who has often struggled with decision-making. But when you have a quarterback with those physical tools, "you give him every opportunity to be successful."

Gailey is right on this point, as well.

The point where Gailey seemed to veer into over-committing to Smith — if you want to get into semantics — came when Gailey was asked about forecasting when might be the right time to sit Smith. Gailey said he doesn't like to project failure, so he doesn't let those scenarios enter his mind.

Yes, deep down, Gailey surely knows that Smith could fail. But as the Jets' coaches give Smith every opportunity to win the starting job, they are going to publicly support him, and anticipate only the best possible outcome for this organization — that Smith blossoms this summer, starts all season, and finally thrives.

This a perfectly logical approach, because Smith succeeding in 2015 as the Jets' quarterback is a much better scenario in the long run for this franchise than Fitzpatrick succeeding after he replaces an ineffective Smith. All that would mean is general manager Mike Maccagnan having to reset the Jets' quarterback situation this offseason.

And we've all season what starting over at that position can look like. It's messy.

Early in his Wednesday press conference, Gailey was asked if he will have an open training camp competition between Smith and Fitzpatrick.

"Not going in, no," Gailey said.

The "not going in" part of that sentence leaves open the possibility that if Smith looks terrible early in training camp, and Fitzpatrick plays well, the coaches could reevaluate the depth chart. For as much as the Jets want Smith to succeed, they don't have to idly sit by if he doesn't. As always in the NFL, plans can change.

It's also worth remembering that Fitzpatrick is not a former All-Pro in the twilight of his career. He is a serviceable quarterback in the twilight of his career — a guy who, over the past two seasons, threw 31 touchdowns and 20 interceptions in 23 games, with 21 starts.

Would Fitzpatrick play better than Smith if the Jets turned to the veteran in 2015? Maybe. But you'd be crazy to peg Fitzpatrick, right now, as definitely an ideal alternative to Smith.

In about two months, the Jets will begin training camp. Smith will be their starting quarterback. While the Jets move toward the Sept. 13 opener against the Browns, it will be his job to lose, as Bowles essentially said in March.

But none of this means Smith cannot — or will not — throw away the opportunity Bowles and Gailey have given him.

Of all the posts on the topic I'd say this one is closest to the truth.   I honestly didn't see any  excitement in Galiley's presser.  It seemed to me like resignation to an unavoidable truth.  Of course he's gong to say positive things about his starting QB.

Only thing that makes sense to me about this is Fitz won't be ready to go.  Gailey is once again going to attempt to make a silk purse out of a horses ass.

I know Jetsfan80 called Fitzpatrick our "conquering hero"  but the guy is terrible.  Like seriously.  He's not the answer for any team.  Hence why he's just bounced around the league.  He's not good and he's a loser which is why a franchise desperate for a QB was willing to trade him for a 7th round pick.  Which makes me so confused about the outrage of this announcement.  Now granted, I've viewed Geno the starter this whole time, so it's not a shock to me but what did you expect?  You really think Fitz is going to make a difference?  And if so, to what point? 

Gailey is installing a system, its hard to install a system and have an open QB competition, especially when the only true competition for the position is injured.  He needs a QB to take the majority of the snaps to learn the system in an out.  And while we all think Geno stinks, he's got an infinitely higher ceiling than Fitz and a coaching change could help the light go on.  We've seen Fitz under Gailey and he stinks.  

The best thing for this franchise is for Geno to figure it out this year.  And if not, do everything possible to find a QB next year. 

Amazing what one can read into something.  Having seen him give press conferences before that is just how he talks to the media; he is always somewhat deadpan and I have never seen him particularly excited about anything.   Remember he also told Fitz prior to signing, that Geno was the starter.  That is over 2 months ago so while they may not have told the media, it is clear that this is not a new decision. 

Maybe Chan's just not that good with the media?

This I think is a part of the problem.   I mentioned earlier there is a reason most veteran HC's don't want coordinators talking to the media.

He looked uncomfortable, and said a few things that seemed to be in conflict with some other statements he made, at least qualifying them,  and what Bowles had previously said.  Don't think he was lying, but he just looked uncomfortable.   

Why Chan Gailey's comments don't lock in Geno Smith as Jets' starting quarterback

Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Print Email Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on May 21, 2015 at 12:46 PM, updated May 21, 2015 at 1:02 PM

Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey created quite a stir Wednesday, when he said he wouldn't begin training camp planning to hold an open quarterback competition between Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Gailey went so far as to say Smith would "probably" be the Week 1 starter.

But does this mean that Smith definitely, absolutely will win the job out of camp? Of course not. The coaching staff's aversion to splitting first-team training camp snaps between Smith and Fitzpatrick — something head coach Todd Bowles hinted at back in March — doesn't guarantee Smith will play well enough this summer to prove he's the best possible starting quarterback for this team.

Nothing Gailey said Wednesday locks in Smith as the starter, for Smith's third season. Yes, Smith is the preferable option, because he is younger and, thus, has more potential as a long-term starter than Fitzpatrick, who is 32. All along, Gailey and Bowles were going to give Smith every opportunity to show he deserved the job — as they should. The Jets invested a second-round draft pick in Smith. You don't cut ties with a second-round quarterback until you're absolutely sure he isn't your guy going forward.

But Gailey and Bowles are by no means contractually obligated to start Smith in Week 1, regardless of what Gailey said Wednesday. They are contractually obligated to try to win games for the Jets. No NFL coach or coordinator in his right mind would stubbornly stick with a struggling quarterback — not for long, anyway — if he believed he had a better option on the bench who could actually win games.

It's worth remembering what Bowles said in March about Smith, when Bowles mentioned that Smith would begin camp as the starter.

"You take positions in training camp," Bowles said. "You're first-team, you want to stay first-team, you do your job. If you're not, you don't do your job. But we haven't seen Geno in a quarterbacking situation, so I'm not saying he's not going to be the quarterback or he is going to be the quarterback. He just starts out there."

Since Bowles said that, the Jets have held exactly five practices — three in a voluntary veteran minicamp last month, and two this week during organized team activities, with a third OTA practice occurring Thursday. The Jets have yet to even put pads on. Smith has yet to face the actual pressure of a pass rush.

At this point, nobody really knows if Smith will be better in Year 3, after committing 25 turnovers as a rookie and 16 last season. And guess what? If he isn't better — which is entirely possible, given his track record — then the Jets don't have to start him.

Upon further examination, much of what Gailey said Wednesday reflected his optimistic approach to analyzing his quarterbacks, particularly young quarterbacks who deserve every chance to gather themselves before you give up on them.

He said Smith "deserves the opportunity to be the guy," and he's right. Smith is a physically gifted player who has often struggled with decision-making. But when you have a quarterback with those physical tools, "you give him every opportunity to be successful."

Gailey is right on this point, as well.

The point where Gailey seemed to veer into over-committing to Smith — if you want to get into semantics — came when Gailey was asked about forecasting when might be the right time to sit Smith. Gailey said he doesn't like to project failure, so he doesn't let those scenarios enter his mind.

Yes, deep down, Gailey surely knows that Smith could fail. But as the Jets' coaches give Smith every opportunity to win the starting job, they are going to publicly support him, and anticipate only the best possible outcome for this organization — that Smith blossoms this summer, starts all season, and finally thrives.

This a perfectly logical approach, because Smith succeeding in 2015 as the Jets' quarterback is a much better scenario in the long run for this franchise than Fitzpatrick succeeding after he replaces an ineffective Smith. All that would mean is general manager Mike Maccagnan having to reset the Jets' quarterback situation this offseason.

And we've all season what starting over at that position can look like. It's messy.

Early in his Wednesday press conference, Gailey was asked if he will have an open training camp competition between Smith and Fitzpatrick.

"Not going in, no," Gailey said.

The "not going in" part of that sentence leaves open the possibility that if Smith looks terrible early in training camp, and Fitzpatrick plays well, the coaches could reevaluate the depth chart. For as much as the Jets want Smith to succeed, they don't have to idly sit by if he doesn't. As always in the NFL, plans can change.

It's also worth remembering that Fitzpatrick is not a former All-Pro in the twilight of his career. He is a serviceable quarterback in the twilight of his career — a guy who, over the past two seasons, threw 31 touchdowns and 20 interceptions in 23 games, with 21 starts.

Would Fitzpatrick play better than Smith if the Jets turned to the veteran in 2015? Maybe. But you'd be crazy to peg Fitzpatrick, right now, as definitely an ideal alternative to Smith.

In about two months, the Jets will begin training camp. Smith will be their starting quarterback. While the Jets move toward the Sept. 13 opener against the Browns, it will be his job to lose, as Bowles essentially said in March.

But none of this means Smith cannot — or will not — throw away the opportunity Bowles and Gailey have given him.

Sure he isn't a poster on JN? 

Touche'.  So has Bowles and Gailey. I think I will trust their opinion. 

Bowles opinion is 

I know Jetsfan80 called Fitzpatrick our "conquering hero"  but the guy is terrible.  Like seriously.  He's not the answer for any team.  Hence why he's just bounced around the league.  He's not good and he's a loser which is why a franchise desperate for a QB was willing to trade him for a 7th round pick.  Which makes me so confused about the outrage of this announcement.  Now granted, I've viewed Geno the starter this whole time, so it's not a shock to me but what did you expect?  You really think Fitz is going to make a difference?  And if so, to what point? 

Gailey is installing a system, its hard to install a system and have an open QB competition, especially when the only true competition for the position is injured.  He needs a QB to take the majority of the snaps to learn the system in an out.  And while we all think Geno stinks, he's got an infinitely higher ceiling than Fitz and a coaching change could help the light go on.  We've seen Fitz under Gailey and he stinks.  

The best thing for this franchise is for Geno to figure it out this year.  And if not, do everything possible to find a QB next year. 

+100000000000000000  Thanks for being the voice of reason... wait what just happened? 

Bowles opinion is 

Okay, it that quote makes you feel better about things great.  You do realize that Geno as been the defacto # 1 for over two months now?  

View All Blogs

jets-stream-jpg.jpg Chan Gailey: Jets won't have QB competition, Geno Smith is the starter

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 3:28 PM

The Jets won't have a quarterback competition heading into training camp, according to Chan Gailey. 

Yet again, Geno Smith is being handed the job of starting quarterback.

Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey revealed Wednesday that the Jets won’t have a competition at quarterback heading into training camp, and that Smith is the starter. Though coach Todd Bowles had said Smith would get the first-team work heading into training camp, most assumed Smith would compete with Ryan Fitzpatrick for the starting job. 

“Right now, Geno’s the starter,” Gailey said. “That’s the way we expect it to be.”

So, there won’t be a competition? 

“Not going in,” Gailey said. 

Why not?

“Why not? Because Geno’s the starter.”

Gailey was asked if there was any way Smith could lose the starting job, outside of injury. 

“Just like anybody else in the NFL,” Gailey said. “If you don’t play well over a period of time you could. Not in preseason. Not in practices.”

So will he be the starter Week 1 against Cleveland? “Don’t make me say yes. But probably,” Gailey answered.

The coordinator went on to say that having a competition at quarterback “wasn’t a thought” and that they had essentially decided that Smith would be their starter prior to trading for Fitzpatrick. 

That’s a pretty surprising notion considering how poorly Smith has played during his career as a Jet. In his 30 games played as a pro, Smith has thrown 34 interceptions and has a cumulative passer rating of 71.5.

Gailey, who said he watched film of Smith from last season but not his rookie year, said he believes the quarterback has a lot of potential. 

“I think you see an awful lot of talent there,” Gailey said. “And if we can get him where he puts all that together, I don’t know how good he can be. To be honest, I don’t know how good he can be, but he can be pretty good though.” 

@SethWalderNYDN

Okay sports fans, there you have it. Maybe we just move on and actually root for the guy to succeed. 

+100000000000000000  Thanks for being the voice of reason... wait what just happened? 

LOL

JiF is one of my favorite posters, but I must say this is the first time I've seen him called "the voice of reason"

LOL

JiF is one of my favorite posters, but I must say this is the first time I've seen him called "the voice of reason"

Just goes to show you, anything is possible.  Even perhaps, possibly, maybe, somehow, some way, Geno Smith becoming a good quarterback .... nah, no way. ;-)

LOL

I tend to think of myself a realist.  Unfortunately, most people dont like reality. 

Archived