Chan Gailey just put the nail in the coffin on the 2015 season

jetscrazey

7-9 here we come.  Unless if Geno is magically a different QB next season, this makes no sense.  Look at his career stats then look at Fitzpatrick's.  It's not even close, Fitzpatrick is the better NFL QB, because what he lacks vs. Geno in raw talent, he makes up for in smarts and decision-making.  Gailey is falling in love with Geno's raw talent (same as Rex/Idzik), we know how badly this ends.

Smith career stats:

25 TDs, 34 INTs, 57.5% completions, 6.9 yds/attempt

Fitzpatrick career stats:

123 TDs, 101 INTS, 60.2% completions, 6.6 yards/attempt

Fitzpatricks first 27 games (4 in 2005, 13 in 2008, 10 in 2009) much more comparable to Geno's first 2 seasons

21 TD's, 27 INT's, 57.8% completion, 5.6 yards/attempt

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's pray Bowles is flexible and is willing to put Fitz in sooner rather than later.

I think Gailey has a little hubris thinking he can take Geno's "potential" and turn him into a star.  He will likely be stubborn in giving up on this idea.

Bowles is going to need to put his foot down and go with the veteran in order to win some games.

How do you think the conversation went between Bowles and Gailey when he hired Gailey?  Don't you think it went something like "yeah I think I can fix Geno but tell Mac to get Fitz just in case......"?  

I'd really like to know what all the doom and gloom poster in this thread think was said in that/those conversation(s).  Most fans seemed to be high on the Gailey hiring and now they all have buyers remorse?  LOL We don't have a quality QB so get over it and stop whining and try to enjoy the season.

And if he does stink it up, Fitz will be right there.

Correction: If he does stink it up, he will have an excuse corps backing him that's second to none. It's the same one Sanchez had until ESPN had to run the buttfumble night and day before the "he needs more weapons" folk backed off.

Correction: If he does stink it up, he will have an excuse corps backing him that's second to none. It's the same one Sanchez had until ESPN had to run the buttfumble night and day before the "he needs more weapons" folk backed off.

And what excuses will Geno have now? He's got more weapons on offense than ever before and an accomplished OC running the show. Geno produces in the first month or he's gone.

if there is one thing i have gotten out of this new staff its that they are the anti Rex Ryan. they will not make excuses for any one player if that means putting the rest of the teams success in jeopardy. and if you haven't gotten that by now then me and you are not watching the same people say the same things.

if there is one thing i have gotten out of this new staff its that they are the anti Rex Ryan. they will not make excuses for any one player if that means putting the rest of the teams success in jeopardy. and if you haven't gotten that by now then me and you are not watching the same people say the same things.

Yeah...the days of handing players starting jobs without having to earn it are over.  Same goes for telling players before the draft that they're going to take them if they're there.  Good riddance.

Well atleast the Jets Offensive Coordinator has confidence that Geno Smith might be a good quarterback this season. There should still be a competition though.

Pretty much what I was thinking.  I think a good first step to finding out if he's improved or not would have been to have him compete with somebody else for the starting spot.  But hey...Gailey knows his stuff.

Yeah that's a great idea let's take away valuable practice time from Geno who is learning the play book and give it to a rookie who probably won't be ready until 3 yrs from now. Right now Matt Simms > Petty

And Fitz is a veteran who already knows Gaileys offense and is recovering from surgery.

Srsly I expected better from this fanbase.

You really don't think Petty will be ready until 3 years from now? c'mon man.

Yeah...the days of handing players starting jobs without having to earn it are over.  Same goes for telling players before the draft that they're going to take them if they're there.  Good riddance.

except they just handed the most important job on the team to a sh*ty player without them earning it in the slightest bit.

except they just handed the most important job on the team to a sh*ty player without them earning it in the slightest bit.

Yup...surprising from a team run by a Parcells disciple.  I could be wrong but I remember Parcells being a guy who put pressure on his players to perform.  This is more Rex-like.

he earned it by Gailey watching every snap from last year and determining he has the tools to succeed.  Chan has the benefit of knowing where the plays were designed to go and what led to every turn over.  He said when Geno had "clean reads" he normally made good decisions.  Not sure why some of you are freaking out.  Geno has a better weaponz then he's ever had and they have a viable backup in Fitz.  If he sucks the first month he'll be benched.  No one anointed him the forever and ever starter.

Wouldn't winning a legitimate QB competition do more for Geno's confidence than just giving him the job? 

overall this is disappointing to me. I don't see why the most important position on the team has to be given away in a coronation every year 

Jesus you guys are blowing this out of proportion. Fitz has medical issues - he was the texans best qb last year and they were very anxious to trade him. Petty is raw as hell and Simms is a career backup. There is no qb competition.

The Jets don't even need Geno to be good. They need him to be average and not turn the ball over. Unfortunately, he's below average and turns the ball over a ton. He improvements have been minimal. He has some solid physical tools but his mental game is so far behind that a lot of his passes end up the same way. This team invested a lot of money to be better, sooner. The leash won't be very long for Geno and it'll be Fitzmagic time before you know it.

The Jets don't even need Geno to be good. They need him to be average and not turn the ball over. Unfortunately, he's below average and turns the ball over a ton. He improvements have been minimal. He has some solid physical tools but his mental game is so far behind that a lot of his passes end up the same way. This team invested a lot of money to be better, sooner. The leash won't be very long for Geno and it'll be Fitzmagic time before you know it.

agree, w/Jets Top3 defense we can sneak into playoffs wit ha game manager who knows NEW playbook rock solid and can read progressions on pass patterns.

Issue is I have no faith Geno can do either.

Wouldn't winning a legitimate QB competition do more for Geno's confidence than just giving him the job? 

overall this is disappointing to me. I don't see why the most important position on the team has to be given away in a coronation every year 

It sucks because that was supposed to be something the old "clueless" regime did..now that it's the new staff, it's brilliant and everybody can "understand their thinking".

Agreed bit...why would it be a bad thing to have him compete for the job and win it? 

Jesus you guys are blowing this out of proportion. Fitz has medical issues - he was the texans best qb last year and they were very anxious to trade him. Petty is raw as hell and Simms is a career backup. There is no qb competition.

Damn so much Common Sense in one post . I'm not use to this.

Agree.  Don't see any benefit to naming Smith starter at this point.  If he improves enough to win it, Great.  Now if he stinks it up in camp it becomes a drama replacing him as starter.

Have to assume there is something going on that we don't know about at this point.  Fitz's not being physically able to compete seems to be the obvious choice.  Watched Gailey's presser yesterday to see if it was being misrepresented by the media.  It wasn't.  Right now Smith is the starter week 1.  What I did notice is that Gailey wasn't raving about Smith.  Just the usual "he can make all the throws" BS.  When asked directly if Smith would definitely be the week one starter, Gailey answered, "Don't make me say yes, ..........but probably".   

The up side to this, for the people that would like to see Petty being the opening day starter next year, is that he will be getting a lot more reps in camp.  Petty will desperately need these if he is going to compete next season.  If there was a true QB competition with Fitz, he wouldn't get these reps.  It would all be Fitz and Smith. 

Just trying to find a sunshine spot here

It sucks because that was supposed to be something the old "clueless" regime did..now that it's the new staff, it's brilliant and everybody can "understand their thinking".

Agreed bit...why would it be a bad thing to have him compete for the job and win it?

Maybe Chan wants to Really coach him up don't Have time to waste important First team reps on Fitz who knows the system and Simms who is a career project .

This is Smith Make or break year and I think there giving him the best possible chance to succeed . Which is a big difference than what the last staff did .

This is all about development not appeasing fans with a fake Competition like Rex.

Agree. Don't see any benefit to naming Smith starter at this point. If he improves enough to win it, Great. Now if he stinks it up in camp it becomes a drama replacing him as starter.

Have to assume there is something going on that we don't know about at this point. Fitz's not being physically able to compete seems to be the obvious choice. Watched Gailey's presser yesterday to see if it was being misrepresented by the media. It wasn't. Right now Smith is the starter week 1. What I did notice is that Gailey wasn't raving about Smith. Just the usual "he can make all the throws" BS. When asked directly if Smith would definitely be the week one starter, Gailey answered, "Don't make me say yes, ..........but probably".

The up side to this, for the people that would like to see Petty being the opening day starter next year, is that he will be getting a lot more reps in camp. Petty will desperately need these if he is going to compete next season. If there was a true QB competition with Fitz, he wouldn't get these reps. It would all be Fitz and Smith.

http://bit.ly/1F3L4CQ

Chan sounds real high on Geno here in this Vid

http://bit.ly/1F3L4CQ

Chan sounds real high on Geno here in this Vid

Have a hard time characterizing it as "sounds real high".   That's why I watched the entire 18 minuets of the interview.  EA is a Jets' employee, he is going to cherry pick the most positive moments of the statement.  Like EA, but that's his job.  

All in all Gailey just seemed to be coming off as luke warm.  Gailey even said that it was decided even before the Jets signed Fitz  that Smith was to be the opening day stater.  That flys in the face of what Bowles said in March.  Gailey also added that "For now, Smith is the opening day starter".  Kind of confusing stuff.

At any rate it's done.  We'll just have to sit back and see how it plays out.  Undeniably Smith stepping up and becoming a good QB is the best scenario.  Hope he can do it.  We'll see  

To be all in on the QB, the most important and complicated position on the team and give him enough reps to succeed. All splitting reps does is make each competitor less prepared. It is completely dumb to have a QB competition that splits reps. It also splits the team as some prefer one and some the other and that hurts chemistry. What Rex did is actually the worst possible thing to do. He ran a sham competition AND split reps evenly. That is idiotic, especially when you consider some of the elite QBs take all the 1st team reps and most of the 2nd team reps. Who needs more reps? Brady or a developing QB. QB competitions sound logical until you really think about them.

Agree.  Don't see any benefit to naming Smith starter at this point.  If he improves enough to win it, Great.  Now if he stinks it up in camp it becomes a drama replacing him as starter.

Have to assume there is something going on that we don't know about at this point.  Fitz's not being physically able to compete seems to be the obvious choice.  Watched Gailey's presser yesterday to see if it was being misrepresented by the media.  It wasn't.  Right now Smith is the starter week 1.  What I did notice is that Gailey wasn't raving about Smith.  Just the usual "he can make all the throws" BS.  When asked directly if Smith would definitely be the week one starter, Gailey answered, "Don't make me say yes, ..........but probably".   

The up side to this, for the people that would like to see Petty being the opening day starter next year, is that he will be getting a lot more reps in camp.  Petty will desperately need these if he is going to compete next season.  If there was a true QB competition with Fitz, he wouldn't get these reps.  It would all be Fitz and Smith. 

Actually I thought Gailey came across excited about Geno. He is naturally low key and avoids hyperbole. People should be excited about this move. Gailey and Bowles would not have made this decision if they did not truly see something in. Keep in mind, the offense will be designed around Smith, Gailey said that and he is known specifically for creating systems that get the best out of the QBs skills.

The gnashing of teeth over not starting Fitz is quite pathetic. He is a pretty crappy QB

To be all in on the QB, the most important and complicated position on the team and give him enough reps to succeed. All splitting reps does is make each competitor less prepared. It is completely dumb to have a QB competition that splits reps. It also splits the team as some prefer one and some the other and that hurts chemistry. What Rex did is actually the worst possible thing to do. He ran a sham competition AND split reps evenly. That is idiotic, especially when you consider some of the elite QBs take all the 1st team reps and most of the 2nd team reps. Who needs more reps? Brady or a developing QB. QB competitions sound logical until you really think about them.

Idzik's mantra was all about "competition" and people loved him for it when he first came to the Jets.

Geno Smith is a future Hall Of Famer, he's going to be better than both Joe Montana and Joe Namath combined, you know how I know? Because I take the best 10 games he's ever played and pretend that it's some marker as to what is to come. It doesn't even matter if the other 10 games he's JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf combined...because anybody who thinks different is a moron

Actually I thought Gailey came across excited about Geno. He is naturally low key and avoids hyperbole. People should be excited about this move. Gailey and Bowles would not have made this decision if they did not truly see something in. Keep in mind, the offense will be designed around Smith, Gailey said that and he is known specifically for creating systems that get the best out of the QBs skills.

The gnashing of teeth over not starting Fitz is quite pathetic. He is a pretty crappy QB

Yet if MM and Rex were excited about Geno they were dummies,now fans should be excited? What a difference a year makes..LOL

Yet if MM and Rex were excited about Geno they were dummies,now fans should be excited? What a difference a year makes..LOL

LOL

yeah thought  the same thing.

I'm wondering if this whole thing is a testament to why most veteren,  successful HC's don't let their coordinators talk to the media

You just don't GET it S-69.  Just because your own two eyes witnessed perhaps the worst year of Quarterbacking in the team's history, by perhaps the worst QB since Rick Mirer doesn't mean squat because Chan Gailey says Geno is the starter

Archived