Chan Gailey just put the nail in the coffin on the 2015 season

jetscrazey

if Fitz participated in 7 on 7 yesterday, how is everyone so sure he won't be ready by August?

It really doesn't matter.  This is from todays' Daily News.... 

Gailey was asked if there was any way Smith could lose the starting job, outside of injury. 

“Just like anybody else in the NFL,” Gailey said. “If you don’t play well over a period of time you could. Not in preseason. Not in practices.”

So will he be the starter Week 1 against Cleveland? “Don’t make me say yes. But probably,” Gailey answered.

The coordinator went on to say that having a competition at quarterback “wasn’t a thought” and that they had essentially decided that Smith would be their starter prior to trading for Fitzpatrick. 

Link:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/chan-gailey-jets-won-qb-competition-blog-entry-1.2229677

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I am concerned, I will put some trust in Chan Gailey and this NEW staff. Some of you are like whining bitches. Geno gets 1 more shot with some REAL WR group and a REAL coaching staff. I do believe he will be on a very short leash as it relates to turnovers. I do NOT think that Bowles will sit still for it. So let it play out. 

Couldn't have said it better myself.  

Dyer: Naming Smith The Jets’ Starting QB In May Was Bowles’ First Mistake

Head Coach Stresses Competition But Then Gives Player Who Needs It Most A Pass?

May 21, 2015 3:13 PM

It is a dangerous time to be New York Jets head coach Todd Bowles, this after the team on Wednesday announced via offensive coordinator Chan Gailey that Geno Smith was set to be the starting quarterback to begin the season.

What isn’t so scary is that Smith, a very mediocre quarterback, will be starting. He is a young quarterback and has shown flashes — albeit limited — of being a solid quarterback. The scary part is that Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan are making the same short-sighted mistakes the previous regime made.

If Smith had beaten out Ryan Fitzpatrick during training camp, winning the starting job over an established 11-year NFL veteran, then there couldn’t be any true complaints. Simply, it would be Smith being the best man and the quarterback who would give the Jets the best chance to win.

But this announcement, two months before training camp even starts, is not just bad timing but simply bad logic. It’s the type of thinking that got the last two general managers around here fired.

Neither Mark Sanchez nor Smith had a true, open quarterback competition during the previous six years, meaning that the Jets have anointed quarterbacks based on draft pick status or favoritism. That the team hasn’t made the playoffs in four years is born from that philosophy. What Sanchez and Smith both needed was competition under center to make them better, to sharpen their skills. If they lost the job, well then they lost it to someone who would give the Jets a better shot at winning.

Problem is neither quarterback was given the chance to lose the job. Both were handed their jobs despite resumes that suggested otherwise.

Neither has a competition to challenge them and now Sanchez is a backup quarterback with the Philadelphia Eagles. The early returns on Smith after two years? Not terribly promising, although admittedly it is still early.

What is concerning here is that Bowles came into the job preaching competition. Now with Wednesday’s news that Smith is the starter, Bowles has broken one of his core talking points.

Especially puzzling here is the timing of the situation. Two months before training camp kicks off is not the time to name a starter, especially when that starter is a young quarterback with nothing but a lackluster first two years to show for his efforts. Fitzpatrick may not be the answer under center for the Jets, but Bowles and his coaching staff are saying that it isn’t even necessary to compete for the most important position on the field.

Instead, just hand it to Smith now. Gailey even went so far as to say that Smith can’t lose the job based off of training camp or preseason. Talk about a bad message to send to the rest of the team.

Equally puzzling is that Fitzpatrick still isn’t a full-go in organized team activities. The injury that ended his season in 2014 still hasn’t been put to bed and he can only participate in 7-on-7 drills and the like.

So the Jets are declaring Smith the starter without even getting the chance to see if the veteran Fitzpatrick is any better.

It is a short-sighted and discouraging decision by Bowles and Maccagnan, who had done so much good during free agency and the draft. But handing the starting job to an unproven quarterback without so much as a competition sends the wrong message to the locker room. It says that certain jobs are safe and that there are favorites on the roster, that no matter what you do in training camp or preseason that your job is safe if you’re “one of our guys.”

Fitzpatrick may ultimately prove to be inferior to Smith, but he should be given the chance by the Jets to showcase himself when he is fully healthy later this summer. There’s no reason why the Jets have to elevate Smith to being a starter right now at this moment in time in late May. All it does is tie their hands if Fitzpatrick plays better than Smith in training camp. The Jets have nothing to lose from an open competition and, in fact, everything to gain.

Instead, they’ve anointed a subpar quarterback with major question marks to be their starter. If Smith won the job outright, then no one could complain. But the Jets won’t even let it get that far. No competition at all. Smith hasn’t won anything. He’s been handed the job instead.

Perhaps the Jets are just content with mediocrity and Bowles’ assertions about competition were just bogus. If that’s the case, get ready for a fifth year without the playoffs.

Follow Kristian on Twitter at @KristianRDyer

As another poster said, the important thing is how sensitive the coaching staff is to Geno's successes/failures. Bowles and Mac have no attachment to Geno and probably won't break a sweat replacing him with Fitz if sh*t starts to hit the fan. So long as they monitor the situation closely and know when to step in at the right time, the Jets should be OK.

The new CS have no choice but to go full on to see what Geno is about. Wouldn't doubt the owner wants him to have a shot also. 

Also they KNOW what they have in Fitz so there is no need to worry about him. It is Geno that is the unknown because he has significant upside if it could be harnessed.  If he fails, they bring Fitz in, continue to groom Petty and prepare to bring in another quarterback (next years draft) to compete.   I really don't understand why so many of the beat writers don't get it.  I think it takes away from their story lines not having the "great qb competition".  I mean I see these guys regularly bugging the sh*t out of players and staff, constantly trying to get quotes or "unnamed source" to give their opinion about who should be a qb.  Constantly writing about who THEY think is winning and generally just being a pain in the ass.  

That is truly a great way for a Rookie HC to start his tenure..... NOT.   The team doesn't need that distraction; they have enough on their plates as it is. 

It is a dangerous time to be New York Jets head coach Todd Bowles, this after the team on Wednesday announced via offensive coordinator Chan Gailey that Geno Smith was set to be the starting quarterback to begin the season.

What isn’t so scary is that Smith, a very mediocre quarterback, will be starting. He is a young quarterback and has shown flashes — albeit limited — of being a solid quarterback. The scary part is that Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan are making the same short-sighted mistakes the previous regime made.

If Smith had beaten out Ryan Fitzpatrick during training camp, winning the starting job over an established 11-year NFL veteran, then there couldn’t be any true complaints. Simply, it would be Smith being the best man and the quarterback who would give the Jets the best chance to win.

But this announcement, two months before training camp even starts, is not just bad timing but simply bad logic. It’s the type of thinking that got the last two general managers around here fired.

Neither Mark Sanchez nor Smith had a true, open quarterback competition during the previous six years, meaning that the Jets have anointed quarterbacks based on draft pick status or favoritism. That the team hasn’t made the playoffs in four years is born from that philosophy. What Sanchez and Smith both needed was competition under center to make them better, to sharpen their skills. If they lost the job, well then they lost it to someone who would give the Jets a better shot at winning.

Problem is neither quarterback was given the chance to lose the job. Both were handed their jobs despite resumes that suggested otherwise.

Neither has a competition to challenge them and now Sanchez is a backup quarterback with the Philadelphia Eagles. The early returns on Smith after two years? Not terribly promising, although admittedly it is still early.

What is concerning here is that Bowles came into the job preaching competition. Now with Wednesday’s news that Smith is the starter, Bowles has broken one of his core talking points.

Especially puzzling here is the timing of the situation. Two months before training camp kicks off is not the time to name a starter, especially when that starter is a young quarterback with nothing but a lackluster first two years to show for his efforts. Fitzpatrick may not be the answer under center for the Jets, but Bowles and his coaching staff are saying that it isn’t even necessary to compete for the most important position on the field.

Instead, just hand it to Smith now. Gailey even went so far as to say that Smith can’t lose the job based off of training camp or preseason. Talk about a bad message to send to the rest of the team.

Equally puzzling is that Fitzpatrick still isn’t a full-go in organized team activities. The injury that ended his season in 2014 still hasn’t been put to bed and he can only participate in 7-on-7 drills and the like.

So the Jets are declaring Smith the starter without even getting the chance to see if the veteran Fitzpatrick is any better.

It is a short-sighted and discouraging decision by Bowles and Maccagnan, who had done so much good during free agency and the draft. But handing the starting job to an unproven quarterback without so much as a competition sends the wrong message to the locker room. It says that certain jobs are safe and that there are favorites on the roster, that no matter what you do in training camp or preseason that your job is safe if you’re “one of our guys.”

Fitzpatrick may ultimately prove to be inferior to Smith, but he should be given the chance by the Jets to showcase himself when he is fully healthy later this summer. There’s no reason why the Jets have to elevate Smith to being a starter right now at this moment in time in late May. All it does is tie their hands if Fitzpatrick plays better than Smith in training camp. The Jets have nothing to lose from an open competition and, in fact, everything to gain.

Instead, they’ve anointed a subpar quarterback with major question marks to be their starter. If Smith won the job outright, then no one could complain. But the Jets won’t even let it get that far. No competition at all. Smith hasn’t won anything. He’s been handed the job instead.

Perhaps the Jets are just content with mediocrity and Bowles’ assertions about competition were just bogus. If that’s the case, get ready for a fifth year without the playoffs.

Dyer's opinion counts for sh*t.  He doesn't get it. I think Gailey made it very clear why they are going this route but no, he has to assume they are content with mediocrity when he knows better.  He can go **** himself. 

No quarterback battle in New York: Jets name Geno Smith 2015 starter

635677309673807506-USP-NFL-New-England-P

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — The New York Jets have a new regime. But the quarterback? Still the same guy.

On the second day of voluntary organized team activities, the Jets not only appointed Geno Smithas their starter but even admitted it "wasn't a thought" to hold a legitimate competition between Smith and veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Now new coach Todd Bowles and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey must figure out how to harness the ability of Smith, for whom 2015 is almost surely a make-or-break year.

"We saw a lot of talent on film," Gailey said Wednesday at the team's facility. "We saw a lot of promise on film. We saw a lot of things that made us think he could eventually be a good quarterback. It's hard to have a quarterback competition going into the regular season. Once we decided that (Smith) was the guy that we felt would be the best option at this point for us, that's the direction we went in."

Gailey said the coaching staff never considered putting Smith and Fitzpatrick through an open competition. New York also selected Bryce Petty in the fourth round of this year's draft, though general manager Mike Maccagnan acknowledged then that Petty is more of a "developmental project."  So Smith may be the starter for now, but there's a time limit on potential. Lack of consistency has plagued him.

A second-round draft pick in 2013, Smith has struggled to string together a series of quality games. He'll show glimpses — a crisp throw, an efficient series — but, eventually, comes the egregious error.  He has completed just 57.5% of his passes for 5,571 yards and 25 touchdowns against 34 interceptions in two seasons. He's also lost seven fumbles.  He was temporarily benched last season by former coach Rex Ryan in favor ofMichael Vick.

Yet in Smith's final game of 2014, he passed for 358 yards and three touchdowns while compiling a perfect 158.3 passer rating in a season-ending 37-24 road defeat of the Miami Dolphins.

Speaking to reporters Wednesday before the announcement had been made, Smith expressed confidence when asked if he felt threatened by the additions of Fitzpatrick and Petty.  "I think threatened is a strong word. Obviously, there's competition. You've always got to be mindful of the fact that you have to show up every single day," Smith said.

"I just always go into it with the right mindset, believing that if I do what I have to do and take care of my job, I'll be out there. My main focus right now is to focus on today."  Previous excuses won't be available for Smith if he struggles in 2015, either.

The Jets traded for star receiver Brandon Marshall (61 receptions, 721 yards, eight touchdowns in 13 games last season), selected former Ohio State speedster Devin Smith in the second round of the draft and still have Eric Decker and Jeremy Kerley. They added running backs Stevan Ridley and Zac Stacy. Second-year tight end Jace Amaro is a promising option. The offensive line even got a boost with the signing of James Carpenter. This is the most talented supporting cast Smith has had.

But what if Smith can't break his spell of inconsistency? How much of a leash will he have before the Jets would consider a change?

"I have a great deal of confidence, and I keep confidence in the guys that are playing," Gailey said. "I don't know about a timetable. I expect great things. I don't expect failure. I expect success. It doesn't enter my mind. I don't even think about that."

But given Smith's track record, success in a new offensive scheme is far from a sure thing.

Fitzpatrick is recovering from a broken leg suffered in December, when he was a member of the Houston Texans. He has been limited in practices but participated in seven-on-seven drills Wednesday while Smith led the first-team offense in the rest of the drills.

"We have a two-hand touch football team right now," Bowles said. "We can't really evaluate them. We're not able to hit receivers. We're not able to hit the quarterback. We can't disrupt the timing. We can't put hands on guys. From a learning standpoint, from a studying standpoint and understanding where he's supposed to throw the football, (Smith) has done a good job."

A large part of what doomed Ryan, who now coaches the Buffalo Bills, and former general manager John Idzik was Smith's play as he failed to develop on their watch.

If Bowles, Gailey and the rest of the new coaches can't turn Smith around in 2015, it will surely be time to look for another solution, maybe Petty.  "I think you see an awful lot of talent there," Gailey said. "If we can get (Smith) to where he puts all that together, I don't know how good he could be.  "But I do think he could be pretty good."

Follow Lorenzo Reyes on Twitter @Lorenzo_G_Reyes

Two years ago Geno won more games with a garbage roster than Fitz ever has in season. Lol

Oh boy, here comes the winnar defense. You know who also won a lot of game? Sanchize, back to back afc championship games baby. Seriously, this is Sanchize all over again with all you guys defending the all pro talent Geno Smith.

Gailey is a veteran, old school media savvy coach. There's no way he doesn't understand what he said and what the ramifications are.

This is the biggest media market in the league. He either is trying to make a power move and get his name on ESPN, or he misspoke ... It doesn't matter which. He should be terminated.

Send a message to this entire organization Macc and Bowles.... "Shut up and do your job." No one in this organization seems to be capable of doing either.

Mike Martz is ready and waiting. He'd have a ball with these offensive weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lmfao

Chan is savvy, he knows what he said. He prolly misspoke. Fire him.

Sheesh. Take a breath.

Oh boy, here comes the winnar defense. You know who also won a lot of game? Sanchize, back to back afc championship games baby. Seriously, this is Sanchize all over again with all you guys defending the all pro talent Geno Smith.

And your hyping a guy who hasn't done sh*t in this league .. Never lead a team to more than 6 wins in a season even after a 5-0 start with the bills a few years back , no playoffs , championship games nothing .,

Here are two great videos about Jets decision to name Geno as starter.  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/0ap3000000493779/Gailey-Geno-Smith-is-Week-1-starter

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/0ap3000000493705/How-far-can-the-Jets-go-with-Smith-at-quarterback

Even Brian Baldinger thinks it's a good move; I'm in shock! lol.

So how do you explain Gailey and Bowles, who watched game film of Geno from last year and then named him the starter?  

And your hyping a guy who hasn't done sh*t in this league .. Never lead a team to more than 6 wins in a season even after a 5-0 start with the bills a few years back , no playoffs , championship games nothing .,

So how do you explain Gailey and Bowles, who watched game film of Geno from last year and then named him the starter?  

Didn't realize that saying Fitz is better then Geno is hyping him. Their are 31 other qbs in the league better then Geno. Fitz being better then him isn't much of an accomplishment.

For game tape, Rex also thought Geno should start and look how that worked out.

Here are two great videos about Jets decision to name Geno as starter.  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/0ap3000000493779/Gailey-Geno-Smith-is-Week-1-starter

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/0ap3000000493705/How-far-can-the-Jets-go-with-Smith-at-quarterback

Even Brian Baldinger thinks it's a good move; I'm in shock! lol.

So does Adam Schein ...

Dyer and Cimini (!) have it right.  This is a mistake to not make Geno earn it.  Welcome to the growing pains of a rookie head coach guys.  The OC has fallen in love with "potential," and Bowles lacks the experience to overrule.

There is no problem with naming Geno the starting now.  The problem is sticking with him if he sh*ts the bed.

I don't think a player can really "earn" a starting job in practice or in the preseason, but he could sure lose a job by being awful.

Didn't realize that saying Fitz is better then Geno is hyping him. Their are 31 other qbs in the league better then Geno. Fitz being better then him isn't much of an accomplishment.

Rex never thought to get some real receivers on this team either .. We had the Worst set of skill players the past 2 year . Rex will never develop a QB cause he simply does not know how too. He doesn't not put a good Support system around them ..

Bowles and Chan has put Geno in a position to successful lets just see what happens ..

LOL, no it wasn't a mistake, in fact it was brilliant.  Bowles, before his first training camp practice diffused a QB controversy that the media would fan the flames to oblivion, removing the biggest storyline from the media agenda this fall. 

Smith still has to perform, the Jets have invested in this player, he deserves, and the tea deserves to exhaust every opportunity to find out if that investment is the future or not.  Fitzpatrick is a stop gap veteran who knows Gailey's system and is injurance, and a good back-up, while they groom the future in Petty.  It was brilliance.

The media is just whining as usual!

He might be okay, no one really knows. What I will say is that this is the best situation any QB has had since the Testaverde days in regards to the talent on the field and the coaching overseeing the offense. Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall as your two top weapons with Chan Gailey's coaching ability will undoubtedly prove what Geno is. Im more confident in Gailey because this is a guy who has had success no matter the situation, so even if Geno does suck, Gailey seems to find a way to make the offense at minimum, competent. I think of all the moves that Bowles made, his very first move (seeking Gailey) could prove to be an enormous fix. And with Macc deep see diving for every bit of talent he can find, we just may see the playoffs this year.

yeah this year will tell a lot about Geno but I think as a team we got the right people in the right spots the GM and the coaches

So you have no confidence in Gailey and his proven track record working with quarterbacks? To even mention Rex is joke.

LOL, no it wasn't a mistake, in fact it was brilliant.  Bowles, before his first training camp practice diffused a QB controversy that the media would fan the flames to oblivion, removing the biggest storyline from the media agenda this fall. 

Smith still has to perform, the Jets have invested in this player, he deserves, and the tea deserves to exhaust every opportunity to find out if that investment is the future or not.  Fitzpatrick is a stop gap veteran who knows Gailey's system and is injurance, and a good back-up, while they groom the future in Petty.  It was brilliance.

The media is just whining as usual!

This. You hit the nail right on the head. This move gives me even more confidence about this regime. The Circus is gone for good.

First off, I think Geno throws funny. He doesn't step into his throws, he reclines backward, and hooks his wrist (from a high release) off his back foot. But in college, this got it done.

Go back and look at Geno Smith's college tape. With just five guys blocking, Geno Smith has more options in the passing game, and the extra receivers open up the field. Spacing out the targets (spreading the field) fits him.

Bitonti has pointed out in the past how much time Geno Smith had to throw the football last season. Perhaps giving him more targets instead of more time will see an improvement in his performance.

Also, Geno is better suited to evade a pass rush. Taking that 6th blocker and fielding a receiver instead, will free up the pocket and let him maneuver. This system could really unleash whatever talent he has.

Nevermind the fact that we now have BMarsh and DSmith in the mix. A couple QB-keepers here and there and Geno Smith has no excuses to fail. If he does, we figure it out and move on next year.

First off, I think Geno throws funny. He doesn't step into his throws, he reclines backward, and hooks his wrist (from a high release) off his back foot. But in college, this got it done.

Go back and look at Geno Smith's college tape. With just five guys blocking, Geno Smith has more options in the passing game, and the extra receivers open up the field. Spacing out the targets (spreading the field) fits him.

Bitonti has pointed out in the past how much time Geno Smith had to throw the football last season. Perhaps giving him more targets instead of more time will see an improvement in his performance.

Also, Geno is better suited to evade a pass rush. Taking that 6th blocker and fielding a receiver instead, will free up the pocket and let him maneuver. This system could really unleash whatever talent he has.

Nevermind the fact that we now have BMarsh and DSmith in the mix. A couple QB-keepers here and there and Geno Smith has no excuses to fail. If he does, we figure it out and move on next year.

Have you watched any of the video snippets of Geno in the OTAs? His motion is noticeably shorter and more compact and he is not hooking his wrist. Seems much improved and much faster.

So you have no confidence in Gailey and his proven track record working with quarterbacks? To even mention Rex is joke.

We were saying the same sh*t about Morninwheg 2 years ago, about how he would be good for our qbs and turn them around. Now he's considered a joke on this forum. And Morninwheg had a better track record with qbs then Gailey does.

Have you watched any of the video snippets of Geno in the OTAs? His motion is noticeably shorter and more compact and he is not hooking his wrist. Seems much improved and much faster.

Have you watched the video of Tebow's throwing motion being fixed? All these guys have impeccable mechanics in training camp, but once the games start and they start getting hit for real is when you see players actual throwing motions come out.

Archived