Chan Gailey just put the nail in the coffin on the 2015 season

jetscrazey

Are you ******* serious? Just looking at stats you can tell that Fitz is a much better qb then Geno is. You want to talk about potential? Guess what ******* Jamarcus Russel has more potential then Andrew Luck, but at the end of the day he's out of the league and Luck is the best young qb in the game right now. Potential is just that potential. Yeah, Geno has potential to be great, just like every other ******* qb in the league. Until he actually looks like a below average qb, Geno will get the rep he deserves, ie a turnover prone qb who can't make a read to save his life.

You overrate Fitz plus you have no idea how bad his injury is. Houston was pretty anxious to trade him and he was their best qb last year.

This thread reeks of the "let's sign Locker/Brian Hoyer/Matt Moore" stupidity.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your reasoning is pretty sound.  Starting Geno is the smart move, unlike last year, if Geno sucks they will make a change.  Geno is 24 and did show improvement late last season, lets see if he is getting better.

If beating the Dolphins on Contractor Bag Weekend constitutes improvement, yes. Otherwise this is nonsense on stilts. Geno Smith sucks.

You overrate Fitz plus you have no idea how bad his injury is.

Hardly, being better then Geno Smith is not exactly a massive endorsement. Geno is literally the worst starting qb in the league right now. I'd be hard pressed to argue that Ej ******* manuel is worst then he is.

It seems his leg is okay enough to go through drills, so I'm not sure how much that plays into it, it just seems like all of our other OCs, Gailey loves Geno's natural ability; plus arm, plus athleticism, pretty much every physical attribute you can want, but can they fix his decision making?  It's his third year, with legitimate talent surrounding him and a coaching staff who presumably won't be f*cking with him by designating his pre-snap decisions, I think he's got a shot to be a top 15 guy, but I also think if he starts costing us games, the FO won't hesitate to yank him. Who knows, it's May and unlike last season, I don't feel doomed going into it. 

I like the cut of your jib

we can dream right ?  it's May !!!!

We just anointed a guy who, by ALL standards of measure, was bottom 3 starting QB in the NFL last season, without even making him work for it. Yeah, I'm disappointed.

The coaching staff is giving him a vote of confidence plus you have no idea what Fitz medical condition is.

Troy Aikman had just as bad if not worse stats then Geno did in his first 2 years too. 

I've been a big Geno hater over the last couple months but I'm going to put my biased to the side and let the kid grow.  The leash is short though, but it is only the 3rd year and he was'n't brought along correctly.  I'm willing to give him the benefit but I need to see immediate improvement in the first quarter of the season or you immediately pull him and stick with Fitz for the rest of the season and figure things out next year.

Please don't do that. Went through this same kind of flawed logic with Sanchez that "X great QB was bad in year 1 and 2 and i year 3 was great" so in year 3...blah blah blah".  It ignores the legion of crappy QBs who still pretty much sucked again in year 3. Let us know the year 3 great QBs who argued with stewardesses, missed meetings due to ridiculous excuses about time zones or whom can barely squat as much as high school age crossfit teen chicks. Again, Geno Smith sucks. This FO and CS are not wedded to him, and they will dump him in due time. 

I have no idea what the hell you guys see in Geno that makes you think he's starter worthy. After 3 years his footwork is still sh*t, struggles to make reads, his release is slow, and his accuracy is all over the place. Not to mention the fact that he sh*ts the bed when getting rushed while doing things like taking a 5 step drop out of the shotgun. He's ******* terrible. Literally the only thing he's got going for him is he's good at scrambling.

The worst thing is, is that he's got a strong arm and he can run fast. So every ******* coach sees that and thinks they can salvage him and turn him into a star. He's a ******* coach killer.

Your right guys season's over in May because a gimp and a qb who played in a one read offense aren't competing for the starting job.

It should make you worried as **** when the oc makes comments like this anointing a starter who has done literally nothing to win the job. And sorry but once you start going into the qb carousel that's usually when seasons end. You should be worried that Gailey is probably thinking he's going to be the guy that turns around Geno's career. It's just not going to happen, he's not a starter in this league. 

Fitz threw for more ints than TDs in his first 5 years. Geno did it just in his rookie season. Hell, Geno was pretty bad last season and still managed to have a better year than Fitz in his 5th year (2nd yr as a starter).

And Geno had David Nelson as his #2 WR. ... /thread

Funny enough, so did Fitz in Buffalo LMAO

So much for that idea of getting the Sunday Ticket this season. Just like Jetscrazey said in the initial post 7-9 here we come. I couldn't agree more. Why bother I'll find better things to do on Sunday afternoons than waste them watching another Super Bowl-less Jets season.

Then go root for another team you whiny moron. You will never be a TRUE jet fan. Unlike you, I'm still predicting this team to go all the way this year.

I have no idea what the hell you guys see in Geno that makes you think he's starter worthy. After 3 years his footwork is still sh*t, struggles to make reads, his release is slow, and his accuracy is all over the place. Not to mention the fact that he sh*ts the bed when getting rushed while doing things like taking a 5 step drop out of the shotgun. He's ******* terrible. Literally the only thing he's got going for him is he's good at scrambling.

The worst thing is, is that he's got a strong arm and he can run fast. So every ******* coach sees that and thinks they can salvage him and turn him into a star. He's a ******* coach killer.

is there a magical 3rd yr that I slept through?  B/c I'm pretty sure he is only starting his 3rd yr.

He also should have never started.

He also should not have been thrown into a complicated west coast offense.

The possibility of winning the SB this year is so low anyway and any delusional Jets fan that thinks that can just stay delusional.  Regardless of Fitz or Geno under center we still have the possibility of making the playoffs and then who the hell knows what happens.

For the anti-Geno haters that can't step off their soapbox and look at it from an 8000 ft point of view.

This is the best thing you guys could want, if Geno sucks like you guys have already written him off as then we will end up with a good 1st rd draft pick next yr where there seems to be a much better QB class.

is there a magical 3rd yr that I slept through?  B/c I'm pretty sure he is only starting his 3rd yr.

The possibility of winning the SB this year is so low anyway and any delusional Jets fan that thinks that can just stay delusional.  Regardless of Fitz or Geno under center we still have the possibility of making the playoffs and then who the hell knows what happens.

For the anti-Geno haters that can't step off their soapbox and look at it from an 8000 ft point of view.

This is the best thing you guys could want, if Geno sucks like you guys have already written him off as then we will end up with a good 1st rd draft pick next yr where there seems to be a much better QB class.

Our defense is to good to land us in the top 2 picks. This year was our best chance to land a franchise qb, and we ended up picking 6th with both qbs going 1 and 2. If Cook and Hackenberg live up to their hype, we're not going to be able to draft them. 

Who gives a sh*t what anyone says on the team. Jet nations boy manish Mehta will write some articles in early August to drum up some qb controversy and jet nation will feed into it hook line and sinker...

It means that Geno's getting most of the reps, taking away valuable reps from say Fitz. This can easily lead to a situation like Vick last year where the guy didn't get enough reps with the offense and was basically lost. Anointing Geno the starter is just going to lead to another qb carousel which will signify another lost season. 

It should make you worried as **** when the oc makes comments like this anointing a starter who has done literally nothing to win the job. And sorry but once you start going into the qb carousel that's usually when seasons end. You should be worried that Gailey is probably thinking he's going to be the guy that turns around Geno's career. It's just not going to happen, he's not a starter in this league.

Hey man Bryce Petty - there's the answer

It means that Geno's getting most of the reps, taking away valuable reps from say Fitz. This can easily lead to a situation like Vick last year where the guy didn't get enough reps with the offense and was basically lost. Anointing Geno the starter is just going to lead to another qb carousel which will signify another lost season. 

Are you kidding me, this is nothing like last season where Vick didn't want to be under center. (I wouldn't have either if I was on last years team)  Vick's mind was gone from football last year, he was just collecting a paycheck.  What roster is benefiting from his services this year?

I'm gonna give Geno the benefit of the doubt since it is only his 3rd yr (And now is the time to see if you should move on or not, its a new org and they do need to implement and new system and see how your young QB handles it).  If Gailey wants to not have a QB competition then I'm OK with that because imo a QB competition is bad for everyone else on the team besides the QBs competing.  1 QB needs 90% of all reps with starting unit.  There is an ebb and flow or rhythm that needs to be practiced until they can do it in their sleep.  QB competition splits reps and screws everyone up.  Funny when you look at our pre-snap penalties over the last couple years and tell me that QB competition is good for the rest of the team.

This isn't to say Geno doesn't fall flat on his face during preseason.  The possibility is there, we will see if he is truly a mental midget lol

Are you kidding me, this is nothing like last season where Vick didn't want to be under center. (I wouldn't have either if I was on last years team)  Vick's mind was gone from football last year, he was just collecting a paycheck.  What roster is benefiting from his services this year?

I'm gonna give Geno the benefit of the doubt since it is only his 3rd yr (And now is the time to see if you should move on or not, its a new org and they do need to implement and new system and see how your young QB handles it).  If Gailey wants to not have a QB competition then I'm OK with that because imo a QB competition is bad for everyone else on the team besides the QBs competing.  1 QB needs 90% of all reps with starting unit.  There is an ebb and flow or rhythm that needs to be practiced until they can do it in their sleep.  QB competition splits reps and screws everyone up.  Funny when you look at our pre-snap penalties over the last couple years and tell me that QB competition is good for the rest of the team.

I'm sorry but giving Geno 90% of the reps is ******* retarded. The guy, if he starts this year, is going to get benched. We'll basically then throw in a not ready Fitz and he'll also most likely play like sh*t. Geno is a worse option then Fitz. And Fitz isn't a good qb in his own right, he needs all the reps he can get.

In all honestly, Geno is probably gone next year. Rather then dicking around hoping that Geno turns into a qb, the Jets should just move on from him all ready. Give Petty the 1st string reps to get him some much needed practice and further his development, and once Fitz is healed up have him take over first string duties.

I love how everyone feels like Chan Gailey is an offensive mastermind and praises having someone who has been around the block and knows offense in charge of that side of the ball until this same person declares that Geno is the best QB we have on the roster. Instead of being impressed with Geno, we instantly say that Gailey is yet another bum heading a sinking ship.

LOL, was thinking the same thing.

Fans, LOL...

I'm sorry but giving Geno 90% of the reps is ******* retarded. The guy, if he starts this year, is going to get benched. We'll basically then throw in a not ready Fitz and he'll also most likely play like sh*t. Geno is a worse option then Fitz. And Fitz isn't a good qb in his own right, he needs all the reps he can get.

In all honestly, Geno is probably gone next year. Rather then dicking around hoping that Geno turns into a qb, the Jets should just move on from him all ready. Give Petty the 1st string reps to get him some much needed practice and further his development, and once Fitz is healed up have him take over first string duties.

I felt this way about Geno up until about 3 weeks ago when I decided to look at what the kid was handed.  Now I'm not ready to throw him to the side unless he shows me absolutely no consistency or improvement from preseason to week 4.  Thats my cutoff for him.  As I said its a short leash.  

Fresh faces in charge means Geno has 1 last lease on life.  I'm not gonna agree with you on cutting him before the season and going all in on a one legged Fitz.  So yes I think any other functional organization that knows who they want to go to battle with, will absolutely get 90% of all reps in practice w starting unit.

I love how everyone feels like Chan Gailey is an offensive mastermind and praises having someone who has been around the block and knows offense in charge of that side of the ball until this same person declares that Geno is the best QB we have on the roster. Instead of being impressed with Geno, we instantly say that Gailey is yet another bum heading a sinking ship.

^This right here!  Can't be quoted enough!  Let the man who has made mediocre QBs serviceable and lets see what he can do.  Worst case scenario is he can make Geno look decent then if we want to move on we can at least get SOMETHING for him, instead of trying to throw him in the garbage like some posters around here! lol

I felt this way about Geno up until about 3 weeks ago when I decided to look at what the kid was handed.  Now I'm not ready to throw him to the side unless he shows me absolutely no consistency or improvement from preseason to week 4.  Thats my cutoff for him.  As I said its a short leash.  

Fresh faces in charge means Geno has 1 last lease on life.  I'm not gonna agree with you on cutting him before the season and going all in on a one legged Fitz.  So yes I think any other functional organization that knows who they want to go to battle with, will absolutely get 90% of all reps in practice w starting unit.

This weapons argument seriously needs to end already. Carr and Bridgewater both played with terrible teams. Yet, they both looked like competent qbs. Geno consistently takes 5-10 step dropbacks out of the shotgun, stares down receivers, and has terrible accuracy. He just doesn't have it. Their's just not much to see their that you can be positive about. Literally the only thing people are harping on about this kid about why we shouldn't give up on him is that he can run fast and throw the ball hard. It's also the reason why Gailey is anointing him the starter. Gailey thinks he can fix this kid and jizzes himself over Geno's arm strength and 40 time. Geno is a coach killer. 

7-9 here we come.  Unless if Geno is magically a different QB next season, this makes no sense.  Look at his career stats then look at Fitzpatrick's.  It's not even close, Fitzpatrick is the better NFL QB, because what he lacks vs. Geno in raw talent, he makes up for in smarts and decision-making.  Gailey is falling in love with Geno's raw talent (same as Rex/Idzik), we know how badly this ends.

Smith career stats:

25 TDs, 34 INTs, 57.5% completions, 6.9 yds/attempt

Fitzpatrick career stats:

123 TDs, 101 INTS, 60.2% completions, 6.6 yards/attempt

Crappy arguments like this are the reason coaches - Not guys on a message board make these decisions. Fitzpatrick put up 17 TD and only 9 int last year. He only cost 1m dollars. Great value for Houston you would think? No - He got dumped. Just like he got dumped by every other team he has been on. He has turned the ball over on the ground like 25 times and has a career TD: Turnover ratio of like 125:128 which is terrible.  

Ryan Fitzpatrick has never lead a team to the playoffs or won a playoff game. I don't understand how this concept is not brought up more. He's been dumped time and time again. 

Fitzpatrick was never bringing ANY team to the playoffs this year. We need to figure out who Geno is in the first half of this season. Either he's going to put up a 25 TD season or he's going to get benched then cut before we draft another QB next year besides Petty. This is a no brainer decision and Ive been saying it since day one - Geno is 100 % our starter on opening day. 

This thread will probably go on for another 10+ pages but the most important thing Gailey

said this afternoon is this:

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI  ·  5 hours ago

"The system will fit to him," Chan Gailey on Geno Smith #jets

This is not to excuse his inconsistent play but Smith came into the league as a college spread
QB and Mornhinweg tried to convert him into a WCO.  Gailey is going to craft an offense around
Smith's strengths and the types of calls he likes.  If he fails now he'll have no one to blame but
himself 

is there a magical 3rd yr that I slept through? B/c I'm pretty sure he is only starting his 3rd yr.

The possibility of winning the SB this year is so low anyway and any delusional Jets fan that thinks that can just stay delusional. Regardless of Fitz or Geno under center we still have the possibility of making the playoffs and then who the hell knows what happens.

Geno should NEVER HAVE BEEN STARTING!!!

Idzik wanted him to start so he could be right and move on from Sanchez. He wasn't thinking was this best for the Jets or Geno's development! Idzik was thinking was this good for me.

There is NO WAY that Geno should have been starting with the awful skill position players he had to work with. Some disliked Sanchez so much that they pretended that the offensive skill positions on the Jets were better than they were. And now they are transferring that disdain to Geno.

We don't know what we truly have in Smith and since Brady isn't coming here next year we have to find out what we have in the real world not FF and see where we are from there.

This weapons argument seriously needs to end already. Carr and Bridgewater both played with terrible teams. Yet, they both looked like competent qbs. Geno consistently takes 5-10 step dropbacks out of the shotgun, stares down receivers, and has terrible accuracy. He just doesn't have it. Their's just not much to see their that you can be positive about. Literally the only thing people are harping on about this kid about why we shouldn't give up on him is that he can run fast and throw the ball hard. It's also the reason why Gailey is anointing him the starter. Gailey thinks he can fix this kid and jizzes himself over Geno's arm strength and 40 time. Geno is a coach killer. 

No. Rex is QB killer. That is the real truth. He demonstrated that over and over and over and over and over and over. Every QB, including Vick looked exactly the same under Rex. Plus Geno was additionally saddled with David Lee, a QB "coach" most famous for finding a way to take the ball out of his QBs hands, the worst receivers coach in the NFL in Sanjay Lal, and the worst receiving corps in the NFL. NO QB could have possibly succeeded under the blowhard loser HC we had.

So much for that idea of getting the Sunday Ticket this season. Just like Jetscrazey said in the initial post 7-9 here we come. I couldn't agree more. Why bother I'll find better things to do on Sunday afternoons than waste them watching another Super Bowl-less Jets season. 

You will be sorely missed.

Archived