Chan Gailey just put the nail in the coffin on the 2015 season

jetscrazey

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I think Geno's ceiling is undeniably higher. The problem is that his floor is also way, way lower.

There's a 99.9% chance that Fitzpatrick gets 8 starts this year anyway, but I don't blame the Jets for throwing spaghetti at the wall here.

It is a bit odd that "Dee has to compete for a roster spot like everybody else" and here we are handing a starting job to Geno that he hasn't earned, with almost no chance of losing it in camp or preseason unless he gets injured. I guess maybe because he plays QB it's a different story but still. You can't say everybody has to compete for a roster spot and then Geno, for no reason, is being gifted the starting QB job. We went through that with Sanchez who has been babied by Rex, we don't have to go through that again.

Why can't people realize the from a competition stand point QB is different and competition in camp is BAD for a number of reasons, mostly loss of reps, but also because it divides the team into camps and hurts chemistry. Teams need to be all in on QBs until they move to someone else they are all in. 

It is a bit odd that "Dee has to compete for a roster spot like everybody else" and here we are handing a starting job to Geno that he hasn't earned, with almost no chance of losing it in camp or preseason unless he gets injured. I guess maybe because he plays QB it's a different story but still. You can't say everybody has to compete for a roster spot and then Geno, for no reason, is being gifted the starting QB job. We went through that with Sanchez who has been babied by Rex, we don't have to go through that again.

Do you honestly believe they're going with Geno for no reason?

I'd say there are two major reasons. First, there's no real viable option. People who thought Fitzpatrick was being brought in here to be gifted the starting job were deluding themselves. He's a stopgap journeyman, and yet, he was the best veteran they could find. This is the guy they settled for after missing out on Bobby Hoyer. There's a lot wrong with Geno, but he still has a significantly greater upside than Fitz. In the third year of his four year rookie deal, it's smart for the new regime to explore that upside.

Once you recognize the first reason, the second becomes more clear: Geno needs all the work he can get. Fitzpatrick has already worked in Gailey's offense, his intelligence is well renowned, and he'll have little trouble picking it up this time around. If they're not honestly considering Fitzpatrick as the starter, there's no reason to split Geno's reps with the first team. Geno needs to not only learn a new offense, but develop a rapport with Marshall and Smith.

They're giving him every chance to succeed, rather than put on some useless competition show that would ultimately be to his detriment. I like it. This is his make or break year. If Geno can't demonstrate that he's a legitimate starting QB in his third year -with this staff, and these weapons- then he'll be on the way out next year. Look for Mo Wilkerson to be a bargaining chip to trade up in next year's draft if that's the case.

Why can't people realize the from a competition stand point QB is different and competition in camp is BAD for a number of reasons, mostly loss of reps, but also because it divides the team into camps and hurts chemistry. Teams need to be all in on QBs until they move to someone else they are all in. 

It's not different whatsoever. If you don't have a starter at QB you don't name one unless you have identified that guy through his play. Once you've done that, once he has separated himself from the group you name him the starter and give him the reps. But until then it's competition. The problem we have is that there is no competition right now. Fitz is injured and the rest just isn't starting material. So unless you want to deal with this crap for the rest of the year until the season starts, reporters bugging your QB's about who will get how many snaps on day so and so, every single day, every throw is being recorded and scribbled on a piece of paper by the beat writers, unless you want all that you name a starter now and end this whole farce. Geno is the starter, nobody is going to be bothered, there's no "who will take the reps with the 1st team at QB today" cloud hanging over this team. In that sense it's a good decision by Chan. Otherwise it would have been another circus this offseason, in camp and preseason with our QB situation. But I don't have any doubt that if Geno falls on his face in camp/preseason he won't be starting in week 1, I don't care what Chan says. It's probably more something to support Geno right now and to make him feel like he's safe, take all the pressure off him.

Yeah, I think Geno's ceiling is undeniably higher. The problem is that his floor is also way, way lower.

Even with all that I said above, I don't disagree with this at all. Plus, I like agreeing with T0m. Throwing spaghetti at the wall isn't a terrible analogy. They're going all in to be definitively sure one way or the other. I think it's smart.

Exactly who would he be competing with - Fitz is not yet recovered from a broken leg. Petty needs to sit and learn for a year and Simms at this point is just a camp arm. So who is he competing with, just give him a boatload of reps in Gailey's system so that he's comfortable come Sept. 

It's not different whatsoever. If you don't have a starter at QB you don't name one unless you have identified that guy through his play. Once you've done that, once he has separated himself from the group you name him the starter and give him the reps. But until then it's competition. The problem we have is that there is no competition right now. Fitz is injured and the rest just isn't starting material. So unless you want to deal with this crap for the rest of the year until the season starts, reporters bugging your QB's about who will get how many snaps on day so and so, every single day, every throw is being recorded and scribbled on a piece of paper by the beat writers, unless you want all that you name a starter now and end this whole farce. Geno is the starter, nobody is going to be bothered, there's no "who will take the reps with the 1st team at QB today" cloud hanging over this team. In that sense it's a good decision by Chan. Otherwise it would have been another circus this offseason, in camp and preseason with our QB situation. But I don't have any doubt that if Geno falls on his face in camp/preseason he won't be starting in week 1, I don't care what Chan says. It's probably more something to support Geno right now and to make him feel like he's safe, take all the pressure off him.

I think you are completely wrong on all counts and I am thankful we finally have a coaching staff that recognizes the problems associated with a competition in camp. Oh and BTW the Jets could easily think he HAS won the position on the field with his performance over the last 6 games when he was quite good.

I think you are completely wrong on all counts and I am thankful we finally have a coaching staff that recognizes the problems associated with a competition in camp. Oh and BTW the Jets could easily think he HAS won the position on the field with his performance over the last 6 games when he was quite good.

Give me current examples of where somebody who hasn't proven anything or shown that he should be the starter was announced opening day starter no matter what. If you can't then I think we know who is wrong "on all counts". Further, you failed yet again to understand what my point was in terms of Rodgers/Gailey making those comments that are totally contradictionary.

So how do you make this post...

...and continue to complain about the lack of competition at the QB spot?

And this all with you thinking that Geno will lose the job to Fitz, anyway, which I doubt is their thinking. What they're doing makes sense.

So how do you make this post...

...and continue to complain about the lack of competition at the QB spot?

And this all with you thinking that Geno will lose the job to Fitz, anyway, which I doubt is their thinking. What they're doing makes sense.

That's the situation we're in right now, I wasn't complaining about anything. There is no competition at this point because Fitz is limited. That's a fact. He's not dead. He will be ready by the time camp rolls around, so there will be competition in camp and preseason. So what do you do now? There's no right or wrong. It all depends on how Geno responds now. Last year he didn't respond as well, failed miserably to be honest with how inconsistent he was. This year maybe it's different. We have a way better team, he's more experienced now, he's got better guys around him to help him out, he now gets a full offseason under his belt as the starting QB, with all the reps and everything. We'll see how he handles it.

We went 8-8 two years ago, with a much worse coaching staff, harder schedule, a rookie Geno, no weapons on offense and a declining defense. If everything is improved and it is and schedule is easier which it also is no reason we cannot win 10+ games with Geno at QB. 

Agreed.   With a much better team,  a more experienced Smith, and an easier schedule,  if the Jets go 8-8 again, as many are predicting, does that mean that Rex is a better coach then Bowles? 

Give me current examples of where somebody who hasn't proven anything or shown that he should be the starter was announced opening day starter no matter what. If you can't then I think we know who is wrong "on all counts". Further, you failed yet again to understand what my point was in terms of Rodgers/Gailey making those comments that are totally contradictionary.

Mariota and and Winston were announced as opening day starters already. Josh McCown was announced as the starter last year and Glennon was not given a chance to compete so that he got all the reps. Fitz was named starter for Houston last year, The list is endless. In fact, Sanchez may have played better his first year if he was announced as first game starter. Geno may have played better both years if he was named starter. QB competitions are dumb and self defeating.

Agreed.   With a much better team,  a more experienced Smith, and an easier schedule,  if the Jets go 8-8 again, as many are predicting, does that mean that Rex is a better coach then Bowles? 

Or if Bowles doesn't make 2 AFCCG's in a row with better players..LOL

I hope Bowles is the opposite of Rex and he wins the back to back AFCCG's that Rex lost!

BTW....apparently you've missed out on the many lessons regarding coaching vs. talent.  Talent has no worth in the NFL...it's all about the coaching and any coach worth his salt can win no matter who he has on his roster.

Folks for the Love of God give it a rest already. It has been a long fought out debate, and the conservatives have won . It's time to end the by partisan differences and get behind the Leader of the offense as has been decided by the men in charge. We are all Jet fans, and we all want the team to succeed and have the best 2015 season it can. Since the only part we all can actually play in the outcome of the season is with our full support, why not end the hostilities and do what the term FAN suggest .

Let's become fanatics and get behind Our Team, the team the people we say we trust as of today has place before us.

Let's make the rest of the NFL stand up and take notice of the "New Breed Of Jet Fan" .  We who will support our Players until there are no longer on our team.

Folks for the Love of God give it a rest already. It has been a long fought out debate, and the conservatives have won . It's time to end the by partisan differences and get behind the Leader of the offense as has been decided by the men in charge. We are all Jet fans, and we all want the team to succeed and have the best 2015 season it can. Since the only part we all can actually play in the outcome of the season is with our full support, why not end the hostilities and do what the term FAN suggest .

Let's become fanatics and get behind Our Team, the team the people we say we trust as of today has place before us.

Let's make the rest of the NFL stand up and take notice of the "New Breed Of Jet Fan" . We who will support our Players until there are no longer on our team.

No.

I think there is a misconception around these parts that harvard is a smart decision maker and good game manager

he isn't

he takes foolish chances and turns the ball over a ton

the jets didn't have any other choice really than to give geno all the reps and hope for the best

I think there is a misconception around these parts that harvard is a smart decision maker and good game manager

he isn't

he takes foolish chances and turns the ball over a ton

the jets didn't have any other choice really than to give geno all the reps and hope for the best

He does turn the ball over a ton, but more times than not he throws it in to the end zone with even greater regularity.  Geno on the other hand....

He does turn the ball over a ton, but more times than not he throws it in to the end zone with even greater regularity.  Geno on the other hand....

And who were Geno's Andre Johnson,, Deandre Hopkins and Arian Foster ???

Here is how I see it. And maybe I am a little rusty. News flash. The Jets are not going to the Super Bowl this year. At this point, Fitz is better than Geno. Fitz is also a mediocre QB. So if the Jets go 6-10 with Geno and 8-8 with Fitz, so what? You know what you are going to get with Fitz. Mediocrity. Geno at least has upside potential. In theory at least. He "could" surprise. Fitz will not surprise. 

So go with Geno at the start. If he develops, great. Sitting on the bench you will not know. If he does not improve, or even gets worse (highly possible), you can always bring in Fitz at some point to remain respectable. But you find out about Geno once and for all. The Jets have potentially a very good defense, more talent at the offensive skill positions, should have a better o-line and Geno will be in his third year. No more excuses. But the Jets really don't have any other QB options to make a big difference. The rookie Petty may be a hidden gem for the future, but he will not be ready this year.

Here is how I see it. And maybe I am a little rusty. News flash. The Jets are not going to the Super Bowl this year. At this point, Fitz is better than Geno. Fitz is also a mediocre QB. So if the Jets go 6-10 with Geno and 8-8 with Fitz, so what? You know what you are going to get with Fitz. Mediocrity. Geno at least has upside potential. In theory at least. He "could" surprise. Fitz will not surprise. 

So go with Geno at the start. If he develops, great. Sitting on the bench you will not know. If he does not improve, or even gets worse (highly possible), you can always bring in Fitz at some point to remain respectable. But you find out about Geno once and for all. The Jets have potentially a very good defense, more talent at the offensive skill positions, should have a better o-line and Geno will be in his third year. No more excuses. But the Jets really don't have any other QB options to make a big difference. The rookie Petty may be a hidden gem for the future, but he will not be ready this year.

I hate this attitude about our winning chances. I see no reason we could not win a SB this year. Not one.

And who were Geno's Andre Johnson,, Deandre Hopkins and Arian Foster ???

Didn't matter what the names were...he was missing open receivers on a regular basis.  

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/05/betting_lines_for_all_of_the_jets_2015_regular_sea.html

"So in those 15 games, the Jets are favored just four times, all at home — against the Browns, Washington, Jaguars and Titans."

So much for the 2015 season according to the odds makers :(.  I'm getting quite tired of all these nails in our coffin.  Hell, we ain't even dead yet.

If you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Whats wrong with competition.  Seemed towork fine with the Pats - Bledsoe and Brady, 49er's Kap and Smith, Seahawks, Flynn and Russell etc etc etc.  Fitz barely presents Smith with 'competition'.  Had they traded for a guy like Glennon - then we can talk about competition.  For all the moves Mac has made in his first year as GM, not acquiring a viable option at the QB position to REALLY compete with Smith is quite disappointing.  Another average year and record and the same rhetoric will prevail as did in Rex reign - 'He gives us the best chance to win'  'We've seen progress'  'he's got talent'.... blah blah blah.  What a crock of crap, its already begun.  I will not root for this douchebag - period.  

If you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Whats wrong with competition.  Seemed towork fine with the Pats - Bledsoe and Brady, 49er's Kap and Smith, Seahawks, Flynn and Russell etc etc etc.  Fitz barely presents Smith with 'competition'.  Had they traded for a guy like Glennon - then we can talk about competition.  For all the moves Mac has made in his first year as GM, not acquiring a viable option at the QB position to REALLY compete with Smith is quite disappointing.  Another average year and record and the same rhetoric will prevail as did in Rex reign - 'He gives us the best chance to win'  'We've seen progress'  'he's got talent'.... blah blah blah.  What a crock of crap, its already begun.  I will not root for this douchebag - period.  

Who was available? Don't tell me Glennon, the Bucs were never trading him this year. Who did Mac miss out on? 

Archived