Chan Gailey just put the nail in the coffin on the 2015 season

jetscrazey

Good QB's can still play consistently good football regardless of the personnel around them.  Geno has not done this,  He has been consistently bad with a few decent games sprinkled in over the last two years.  His decision making has been poor overall, and I'm not so sure that better WR's or any other offensive upgrades will change this. I just don't see a QB who has been the worst starting QB in the league two years running will somehow miraculously turn it around overnight.  I really hope Geno proves me and all the other naysayers wrong.  If he's actually the week 1 starter, I will be rooting my arse off for him to succeed.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sentence is everything.

If anything, that sentence shows that Geno was just as big of a problem for the franchise then Idzick and Rex were. This forum has an unnatural obsession with making excuses for qbs. On this site I've seen people ripping the sh*t out of 2nd year players like Winters, Stephen Hill, etc, but yet in the same sentence they'll absolve Geno of all blame and play it off like he's a rookie.

Flawed logic?  Flawed only if you want it to be.

The logic is completely sound, and just because it didn't apply to Sanchez, doesn't mean it won't apply to Geno.  There are plenty of examples where QB's did struggle early in their careers, going through the growing pains, maturation, etc, and put it together in their 3rd year.  Geno has in his first two years never had the talent around him to take off, you saw what he could do with some talent around him during the final 6 games of last year.  That is plenty to build on.

Been there, done that. Sorry -your logic is in fact flawed. We've been over this in Sanchez's 3rd season. Run around profootballreference.com. Weapons is nonsense. Smith's decison-making sucks. There are a lot more Akili Smiths, Mark Sanchezes and Dave Browns than there are Troy Aikmans and Eli Mannings. Smith will fall into the former bad group.

Smith sucks.Chan Gailey is rolling the dice. He'll figure it out soon enough. And by then Fitz-a stopgap, no doubt-will be healthy. 

You can say what you want about Rex, but at the end of the day if Geno didn't suck so much ass, Rex wouldn't have been fired along with Izdick. Also, if this coaching staff doesn't wise up fast, he's about to leave even more coaches bodies in the wake.

Wow, this is completely and totally backwards. Rex is a bottom 5 HC in the NFL, and his handling of the QB position and the offense is one of the main reasons why. Thank God he is gone.

If anything, that sentence shows that Geno was just as big of a problem for the franchise then Idzick and Rex were. This forum has an unnatural obsession with making excuses for qbs. On this site I've seen people ripping the sh*t out of 2nd year players like Winters, Stephen Hill, etc, but yet in the same sentence they'll absolve Geno of all blame and play it off like he's a rookie.

And Rex apologists will cling to any excuse for why he sucks balls.

Wow, this is completely and totally backwards. Rex is a bottom 5 HC in the NFL, and his handling of the QB position and the offense is one of the main reasons why. Thank God he is gone.

Exactly.

Geno had no chance to succeed under Rex, especially since it was pretty clear that Rex didn't even want Geno to begin with.  It's possible that Geno can rebound with better talent, a new coaching staff, and a system built around his strengths.  It's also possible, perhaps even likely, that he doesn't.  Either way, it's a much more exciting prospect having that possibility out there than it is going with Ryan Fitzpatrick, who had proven at every stop he's made that he's not a good QB.

Geno is (mentally QB speaking) garbage but he has more upside and "potential" than Fitzy at THIS POINT OF THE 2015 SEASON.

If Geno $hits the fan, Bowles has expressed himself in a Parcellian manner that the FOOTBALL PLAYER that performs the best and gives the TEAM the best chance to WIN, will ultimately get the snaps.

This is great news for the franchise. This means that Chan likes what he sees out of Geno and he knows he can get production out of him.

Put aside the playoff $ now. You are going to need it.

Great post.

Too many Geno haters are pissed for all the wrong reasons. Two year QB, still 24 years old, played his best football the last 6 games last year when he finally had some talent around him. Anybody that wants Fitz over Geno just don't know what they are looking at.  Geno has all the tools, it's about development and maturation for him.  People keep forgetting how young he is, and now he's playing in a system that will best fit his ability and an offensive coach that will build that system around him.

What are you looking at?  Of his last 6 games in 2 he had less than 100 yards, 1 under 200, 2 were meh and one was good.

What are you looking at?  Of his last 6 games in 2 he had less than 100 yards, 1 under 200, 2 were meh and one was good.

Historically speaking, THERE IS NO EVIDENCE For FUTURE PREDICATION THAT GENO WILL BE GOOD. the ONLY slightest glimmer of hope of Geno becoming a COMPETNENT QB is his NATURAL GOD-GIVEN PHYSICAL ABILITIES & TALENT.

That argument aside, this is EITHER a ChanChanTheMam Jedi Mind Trick or Gailey truly believes he can harness NET POSITIVE QB PRODUCTIVITY from Geno that his predecessorors could not.

If not that, Good god help us and FITZY is the cavalry that redeems the season & potentially COSMIC Defensive unit which propels us into the playoffs.

And, as others have said, it's not as though Fitzpatrick has ever done much of anything at any of his stops. 

1) Every so often RF's play can directly spark his team on a 2 or 3 game winning streak.

2) Fitzpatrick has been consistently in mid-tier passing ratings.

Therefore 1+2 = Fitzpatrick is an indisputable upgrade at the position from what we're used to in the Sanchez/Geno era.

How can someone say anything remotely positive about Geno is beyond me. In two years he hasn't made a single defensive coordinator nervous.  

Fitz was consensus the best available free agent QB and we got him. No one thinks we found Dan Marino II, but we needed to get him. I also think we drafted Petty correctly. I expect that whenever, if ever, Petty should be named a starter he will have earned it. I've had it with annointed QBs. We've wasted the better part of a decade on them and the issue is still killing us. Every single reason homers trot out to justify starting Geno in 2015 is exactly, word-for-word, what was said to justify him in 2014 - when it was apparent to many that Geno was a turd in cleats.    

It sure does.

Please tell me more on how Geno will light the world on fire come this fall. 

I mean you obviously disagree with my sentiment that Geno is a bad qb, who was a major part of the Jets missing the playoffs for all of the years Geno has started. So, please give me an in depth analysis of Geno's strengths and why he's our qb of the future and is not, in any way shape or form, a reason as to why the Jets suck. 

Or do you mean to tell me that you also think Geno sucks, but only mean to tell stupid jokes about how Rex is da worst cawch in the nfl and obviously ruined the all pro talent Geno Smith?

And Rex apologists will cling to any excuse for why he sucks balls.

And yet it doesn't concern you at all that Gailey is doing the same sh*t as Rex is, declaring a qb the starter before he even earned it?

What are you looking at? Of his last 6 games in 2 he had less than 100 yards, 1 under 200, 2 were meh and one was good.

Think the point isn't yards, it's the turnovers. His biggest problem. He had 66 or so comp %, 6tds and only 3 ints, 2 games with no ints and had a QBR near 100 over those 6. Would be a lot better if you throw out the 1st dolphin game where Rex wouldn't let him throw a pass.

I'd sign up for those numbers right now. The yards with the improved WR group will take care of itself

1) Every so often RF's play can directly spark his team on a 2 or 3 game winning streak.

2) Fitzpatrick has been consistently in mid-tier passing ratings.

Therefore 1+2 = Fitzpatrick is an indisputable upgrade at the position from what we're used to in the Sanchez/Geno era.

How can someone say anything remotely positive about Geno is beyond me. In two years he hasn't made a single defensive coordinator nervous.

Fitz was consensus the best available free agent QB and we got him. No one thinks we found Dan Marino II, but we needed to get him. I also think we drafted Petty correctly. I expect that whenever, if ever, Petty should be named a starter he will have earned it. I've had it with annointed QBs. We've wasted the better part of a decade on them and the issue is still killing us. Every single reason homers trot out to justify starting Geno in 2015 is exactly, word-for-word, what was said to justify him in 2014 - when it was apparent to many that Geno was a turd in cleats.

How did Geno play when he had two healthy starting caliber WRs?

No one is anointing him the next Rich Gannon either.

I am with you there Chan is good he gets the best out of his QBs and we got Marshall who made Cutler look good for a long time I think they don't want to put anything else on his head and if he sucks well we got other QBs this GM did not draft him and this coach will not loose his job with him I think Geno will be ok.

He might be okay, no one really knows. What I will say is that this is the best situation any QB has had since the Testaverde days in regards to the talent on the field and the coaching overseeing the offense. Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall as your two top weapons with Chan Gailey's coaching ability will undoubtedly prove what Geno is. Im more confident in Gailey because this is a guy who has had success no matter the situation, so even if Geno does suck, Gailey seems to find a way to make the offense at minimum, competent. I think of all the moves that Bowles made, his very first move (seeking Gailey) could prove to be an enormous fix. And with Macc deep see diving for every bit of talent he can find, we just may see the playoffs this year. 

And yet it doesn't concern you at all that Gailey is doing the same sh*t as Rex is, declaring a qb the starter before he even earned it?

No.  In fact teams need to be all in on their QB right until the point they are out. Rex semi-annointed QBs which is far worse and had mock competitions where QBs split reps in camp. This is the worst possible thing you can do to a QB and Gailey knows it. Reps are precious. Geno, if he is to develop needs ALL the first team reps, and some of the others. Not splitting reps with some competitor in camp. That is a surefire way to stay mediocre. Does not mean Geno gets endless rope, but until that point you need to be 100% behind him and give him the reps to develop. And Gailey is, which is far far different than the charade competitions that Rex ran. Competition at the QB position is dumb.

No.  In fact teams need to be all in on their QB right until the point they are out. Rex semi-annointed QBs which is far worse and had mock competitions where QBs split reps in camp. This is the worst possible thing you can do to a QB and Gailey knows it. Reps are precious. Geno, if he is to develop needs ALL the first team reps, and some of the others. Not splitting reps with some competitor in camp. That is a surefire way to stay mediocre. Does not mean Geno gets endless rope, but until that point you need to be 100% behind him and give him the reps to develop. And Gailey is, which is far far different than the charade competitions that Rex ran. Competition at the QB position is dumb.

Odd. Didn't realize that ruined Tannehill, Carr, Bridgewater, and Russel Wilson. It's odd, it's kinda like most rookie qbs nowadays will show, regardless of rep counts, whether or not they belong in the NFL.

No, Smith is terrible. But in fairness Gailey did not say Smith is a lock for 16 games. Fitzpatrick may not even be healthy to start the season.And the Jets are not giving the job to Petty nor Simms, if he's even here when camp is over. It's Smith's job mostly by default. And he will as always f___ that up. Because Geno Smith sucks. 

I agree that Smith has been terrible, but this is the beginning of his career. And trust me, im no Smith sympathizer, but the Fitzpatrick support is ridiculous. Teams like the Titans, Bengals, Bills and a Texans team decided to move on from Fitz with players like Ryan Mallet and Brian Hoyer. Thats what his 10 year career has come down to. People are reminiscing on a Fitzpatrick of yesteryear that put up okay numbers, that once had a 5-0 start then found a way to melt down and not make the playoffs. Lets not pretend like Fitzpatrick has been that much better in his more recent outings. The guy couldnt hold on to a Texans job outside 

I'd take my chances with Smith at this point. If he fails fine, we should have traded for Glennon anyway! :-) But some people are getting bent out of shape because Smith is considered the starter when the other QB is Fitzpatrick, that seems completely desperate. 

I'm sorry but giving Geno 90% of the reps is ******* retarded. The guy, if he starts this year, is going to get benched. We'll basically then throw in a not ready Fitz and he'll also most likely play like sh*t. Geno is a worse option then Fitz. And Fitz isn't a good qb in his own right, he needs all the reps he can get.

In all honestly, Geno is probably gone next year. Rather then dicking around hoping that Geno turns into a qb, the Jets should just move on from him all ready. Give Petty the 1st string reps to get him some much needed practice and further his development, and once Fitz is healed up have him take over first string duties.

Yeah that's a great idea let's take away valuable practice time from Geno who is learning the play book and give it to a rookie who probably won't be ready until 3 yrs from now. Right now Matt Simms > Petty

And Fitz is a veteran who already knows Gaileys offense and is recovering from surgery.

Srsly I expected better from this fanbase.

Why anoint Geno as the starter? We made the same mistake with him last season and with Sanchez. If Geno earns the starting gig, fine. But let every QB compete for the job.

I don't think this is in anyway set in stone.. Geno can and almost certainly will play himself out of a job by August

yeah I just watched the 17 minute PC and those of you who are holding out hope that Gailey secretly plans on starting Fitz are in for a rude awakening. His tone and body language told the whole story. They are locked in on Geno being the starter. Period.

what is it with you and sh*tty QB's?

Wow, not sure why this is big news and why 11 pages already

let's think about this...

Will Fitz be heathy enough to compete in camp? sounds like Chan knows the answer and it's No

If healthy, could Fitz last an entire season? based on past history, that's another No

Petty will be learning an NFL offense and that will take some time

So, all he really said is Geno gets 4 games, we all knew that 

Please tell me more on how Geno will light the world on fire come this fall.

I mean you obviously disagree with my sentiment that Geno is a bad qb, who was a major part of the Jets missing the playoffs for all of the years Geno has started. So, please give me an in depth analysis of Geno's strengths and why he's our qb of the future and is not, in any way shape or form, a reason as to why the Jets suck.

Or do you mean to tell me that you also think Geno sucks, but only mean to tell stupid jokes about how Rex is da worst cawch in the nfl and obviously ruined the all pro talent Geno Smith?

03aee7ac29a91b457740d204cfd696cd-roomba6

Operative words being 'Right now'.

right, totally different context. Managers get together at work and say 'be encouraging, say he is our guy etc' to build up confidence in a under performer. But trust me, he's gonzo if he doesnt improve enough..

call me crazy but i expect a good third season from Geno. This is the first time in his career that he is going to play in a quick hit system with actual talent on the OL and the WR corps. And if he does stink it up, Fitz will be right there.

does it really matter what anyone says in may?  if geno sucks after a month he'll be benched.  and if that happens and fitz takes over, bryce will start when they're out of the playoff race.  it's not like they signed a contract extension here.  they have some real weapons on offense finally and a system that plays to geno's college game, and winnable home games in september vs. cleveland and phily, and a game vs. miami in london.  if geno sucks after this month, his jet career is over.

Archived