Another year, another Competition Tilted in Geno Smith's Favor

flgreen

Jets QB preview: Another year, another competition tilted in Geno Smith's favor

6/26/2015

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

Breaking down the New York Jets' roster, unit by unit, in preparation for training camp:

Position: Quarterback

Projected starter: Geno Smith

Projected reserves: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty

Notable on the bubble: Jake Heaps

Geno Smith, who threw 13 TD passes last season, will enter training camp as the starting QB. Steve Mitchell/USA TODAY Sports

Player to watch: It's now or never for Smith. The Jets have been tremendously patient with their inconsistent quarterback -- some might argue too patient -- but they believe he has enough arm talent to warrant another chance to become the team's long-term answer. Their hope is that a new voice (Chan Gailey) and a new system will bring out the best in him. Gailey's offense involves short drop-backs and quick reads. In theory, that should help Smith deliver the ball quickly and to open receivers. We'll see.

Top storyline: The competition -- or is it a non-competition? The coaching staff sent mixed messages throughout the offseason, raising questions about whether Gailey and coach Todd Bowles are on the same page. Here's the deal: Smith will go into camp as the No. 1, working with the first team for a majority of the practice reps. It's his job to lose and Fitzpatrick's job to take, according to Bowles. Realistically, it's hard for a backup to take the job when he's getting only a handful of first-team reps per day. Barring an injury or an utter meltdown in the preseason, Smith will be the Week 1 starter. Personally, I think Bowles is making a mistake by not having a truly open competition. For the second straight year, it's tilted in Smith's favor.

Training camp will be a success if ...: The preseason is wrapping up and Bowles isn't getting grilled about his plans for Week 1. That would mean a clear-cut starter, presumably Smith. If there's uncertainty, it could spark a quarterback controversy. Then again, the Jets should be used to them by now.

Wild card: Petty. Everybody loves the new guy, right? Fitzpatrick is new, too, but it's hard to get excited about a guy with his sixth team. Petty is an unknown and, after decades of mostly mediocre quarterback play, the fan base is intrigued by mystery men. Who can blame them? You can bet fans will be screaming for Petty if he lights up a preseason game and Smith struggles. Relax, folks, this will take time. Talent evaluators are all over the map on Petty, a fourth-round pick. The Jets love the kid, but I heard there were teams that had him with a seventh-round grade. He has enough arm talent, but this will be like Quarterbacking 101 as he attempts to learn a pro-style offense after years in Baylor's up-tempo spread.

By the numbers: The last time the Jets had a top-10 passing offense was 2000. That year, they finished sixth with Vinny Testaverde as the quarterback, Al Groh the coach.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that Bowles said there will be a competition.  If the Jets pull a Rex/Idzik and Geno gets 80% of the snaps then it'll be disheartening to say the least.  I want Geno to win the job because he's the younger guy, but if it's a faux competition then I don't get the point.

It should be tilted in his favor. He has the most physical talent out of the three, and has shown glimpses, although very brief, of being more than capable.

He should be given the lions share of the reps to allow him to learn and grow as much as he possible can. How much he'll actually be able to do those things is the real question, but you have to give him the chance to do it.

Fitz knows the system already and shouldn't require the amount of reps Smith does. Fitz main goal should be to knock offseason rust off and not get hurt.

Petty should not be in the equation this year. He just needs to be a sponge an soak up everything he can.

This board is really turning into a dumpster fire with these Geno is the worst ever threads

So you're not seeing the imperative benefit of starting multiple daily "I hate Geno" threads?  You're not seeing the obvious benefit of starting Bryce "I've never actually huddled an offense and taken a snap under center" Petty right away from day one?  You and I must really must be out of the loop here.

I like that Bowles said there will be a competition.  If the Jets pull a Rex/Idzik and Geno gets 80% of the snaps then it'll be disheartening to say the least.  I want Geno to win the job because he's the younger guy, but if it's a faux competition then I don't get the point.

I think that's exactly what's going to happen.  Maybe even higher then 80%.  I just wish they would have a legit QB competition.  Best QB starts

If?  Thats exactly what theyre going to do.  They said it weeks ago.  

If Petty is going to sit most the season...  then  Geno makes sense to be given a little bit of a favoritism.

FITZ is a journeyman at best. Letting him take us to 8-8 does what?

I 'd rather give Geno a full and final chance. So if we say goodbye, its with full confidence.

If? Thats exactly what theyre going to do. They said it weeks ago.

They said there was going to be an 80/20 split? I just heard them say there would be a competition.

It is a lot less dangerous doing it this way than last year.  Fitzpatrick is coming off injury and is a smart guy that has already played for Gailey.  Vick was just collecting pay checks and once he knew he wouldn't start he didn't even seem like he got ready to play.  I doubt that Fitzpatrick needs anywhere near 50% of the reps to be ready and we all want Geno to be the man. If he is not there is plenty of time to prep   The season starts late and the bye week is early.  If Geno is sh*tting the bed it is easy for Fitzpatrick to take over by our 5th game.

It is a lot less dangerous doing it this way than last year. Fitzpatrick is coming off injury and is a smart guy that has already played for Gailey. Vick was just collecting pay checks and once he knew he wouldn't start he didn't even seem like he got ready to play. I doubt that Fitzpatrick needs anywhere near 50% of the reps to be ready and we all want Geno to be the man. If he is not there is plenty of time to prep The season starts late and the bye week is early. If Geno is sh*tting the bed it is easy for Fitzpatrick to take over by our 5th game.

False, all QBs should get precisely 25% of first team reps otherwise its not fair

False, all QBs should get precisely 25% of first team reps otherwise its not fair

Yeah but then all the second team players will get their feelings hurt cause nobody wants them.  They should stop with the 1st team and second team nonsense because it tends to make players feel less worthy.  They should use code.  Like Captain Crunch did back in the day with his cereal treasure maps. So nobody feelings get hurt.,  The Captain was way ahead of his time.  

I think that's exactly what's going to happen.  Maybe even higher then 80%.  I just wish they would have a legit QB competition.  Best QB starts

Yup..another season of handing the job to a player who is arguably the worst in the NFL at the position would be frustrating as a fan.

This board is really turning into a dumpster fire with these Geno is the worst ever threads

I can't decide what's worse. All the Geno threads or all the hall monitors complaining that those threads are not appropriate. Chicken and egg kinda thing.

Chan said that Geno would get most of the first unit snaps.

Actually Chan said that barring injury, Smith would be the opening day starter.   Bowles clarified it a bit sying a decision hasn't been made on the opening day starter, but Smith would be the starter going into camp, and get most of the 1st team reps.

Very concerning.

Chan said that Geno would get most of the first unit snaps.

I'm fine with "most" as Fitz knows the system better.  What remains to be seen is if it's going to be a split you'd expect to see in a legit competition, maybe 60/40 vs an 80/20 charade.

Tilted competition, boisterous players, coaches not on the same page, drafted DL in 1st round, No QB, solid Defense.

So much different in Jets land now that Rex is gone.

LOL

Yeah, week 10 is going to be a hoot if Smith is still the starter

I'm fine with "most" as Fitz knows the system better.  What remains to be seen is if it's going to be a split you'd expect to see in a legit competition, maybe 60/40 vs an 80/20 charade.

I think the charade is the idea that there is a competition in the normal sense of the word. I think it's a case of its Genosmjob unless he sh*ts the bed.

Actually Chan said that barring injury, Smith would be the opening day starter.   Bowles clarified it a bit sying a decision hasn't been made on the opening day starter, but Smith would be the starter going into camp, and get most of the 1st team reps.

Very concerning.

It was also reported that when Fitz was signed he was told it was to be the backup.

Tilted competition, boisterous players, coaches not on the same page, drafted DL in 1st round, No QB, solid Defense.

So much different in Jets land now that Rex is gone.

Don't forget "promising a player they'll take him if he's there before the draft".  A few months ago that was a clear sign of incompetence.  Once Bowles did it...no big deal.

If they run this competition the same way Rex did with Vick and Smith I'll be convinced that Bowles read all the Rex hate threads and made it a point to repeat almost every single thing Rex got slammed for just for kicks.

I think the charade is the idea that there is a competition in the normal sense of the word. I think it's a case of its Genosmjob unless he sh*ts the bed.

That's what would make the whole thing a joke IMO.  Let the two QB's get reps with the same guys and start the one who plays best.  Anything other than that and they should have gotten on the same page and agreed publicly that Geno is the starter no matter what. 

Can't wait for camp to start.

That's what would make the whole thing a joke IMO.  Let the two QB's get reps with the same guys and start the one who plays best.  Anything other than that and they should have gotten on the same page and agreed publicly that Geno is the starter no matter what. 

Can't wait for camp to start.

Thats the way you should feel if you don't want to see Geno starting on opening day.  But very few HC's want to be in a position where its a real open competition, who ever wins starts situation.  

Archived