Jets Speedsters Opening Eyes Early On

JetNation

Chris Owusu

Quincy Enunwa

By Glenn Naughton

Jets training camp is just a week old, but for a loyal fan base that has grown tired of an anemic offense lacking an explosive playmaker, the early reports have been encouraging to say the least.

With the addition of wide receiver Brandon Marshallthe Jets have a legitimate number-one option to line up opposite last year’s big free agent signing in Eric Decker.  While both receivers are established, productive veterans, neither offers game-breaking speed that opposing defenses have to account for.

General Manager Mike Maccagnan selected Ohio State wide receiver Devin Smith in round two of this season’s draft in hopes of adding a deep threat as the receiver led the nation with a whopping 28.2 yards per reception.

Currently sidelined with broken ribs and a punctured lung, Smith will be out for four to six weeks, but in his absence there has been no shortage of other receivers who have turned some heads this week.

Owusu blazed a 4.26 40-time during his NFL combine workout.

Owusu blazed a 4.26 40-time during his NFL combine workout.

The player garnering the most attention thus far is former Stanford product Chris Owusu who managed to make an impression late last season despite limited playing opportunities.

Jets fans have seen his name mentioned early and often from camp reports that continue to pour in from multiple media outlets praising his speed and explosiveness.

Owusu is far from alone at Florham Park as one of last season’s draft choices, Quincy Enunwa out of Nebraska, has also made some eye-opening plays, one of which was a 60-yard score from rookie quarterback Bryce Petty.

A productive receiver at Nebraska (115/1,526/15), Enunwa ran his combine 40 in 4.45 but was taken with the expectation of being a developmental player.  Jets fans heard his name come up several times during the pre-season last year but he would spend the majority of the 2014 campaign on the practice squad.  Despite making the original 53-man roster, Enunwa was accused of domestic violence and wasn’t placed back on the active roster until later in the season when charges were dismissed.

If we’re going to cover the topic of speedy young receivers who are making plays early on, you’d have to mention arguably the fastest player on the Jets roster, wide receiver Saalim Hakim.

A soccer player in his early years, Hakim didn’t strap on the pads until his senior year in high school and was minimally productive in college where he played sparingly for Palomar Community College and Tarleton State, pulling in just 49 receptions in three seasons.

Even still, his world-class speed (4.23 40) gained him plenty of attention as 18 NFL teams approached him about signing as an undrafted free agent.

Former Super Bowl Head Coach Jim Fassel coached Hakim with the United Football League’s Las Vegas Locomotives and he didn’t hold back in discussing his physical attributes:

You don’t find guys like him walking around on the streets,” Fassel said. “He’s so strong — explosively strong. He’d jerk a guy, go around him, and once he got into a leverage position they couldn’t run with him. Once he gets going, he’s as fast as anyone I’ve ever seen on the football field.”

Then of course, there’s TJ Graham, the player who hauled in the Jets’ longest touchdown reception of 2014 when he caught a 67-yard bomb against the Pittsburgh Steelers in a 20-13 victory.   Graham has reportedly made some big plays himself in the early going.

Graham is another blazer coming out of college at N.C. State where he played with a pair of current NFL quarterbacks in Russell Wilson of the Seattle Seahawks, and Jameis Winston’s back-up in Tampa Bay, Mike Glennon.

The 6′, 180 lb Graham used his 4.41 speed to put up some impressive college totals, bringing in 99 passes for 1,453 yards and 12 touchdowns.  His experience as a kick and punt returner could also help Graham make the cut with the Jets as he averaged 23 yards per kick return and 9.5 yards as a punt returner at UNC while running back a pair of touchdowns in each role.

Camp is just one week old, but the early reviews on some of the younger receivers should be encouraging to Jets fans as Chan Gailey will look to exploit mismatches whenever possible, and if the guys near the bottom of the depth chart continue to develop, those opportunities may be plentiful in 2015.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
E6QxIe9FuOo

View the full article

Hell no! 

lolwatkins.0.gif

I hope Hakim makes the team, and is able to handle the returns. 

Hakim should be on the team for stopping that touchdown! Lol I remember thinking what the hell is he doing on defense anyway? I love Rex but last year was a real head scratcher. Any way I say Hakim and Owusu

I don't deny that the guy is fast, and I do seem to remember him making several plays on the special teams coverage unit, but I heard that despite his blazing speed, his hands are still suspect. I just think that he's going to have to prove that he can contribute in other ways. Is it enough to be able to run incredibly fast to earn a spot? I believe this coaching staff will ask more of him. He'll have to show that he can be a reliable receiving threat, or he has to blow the other competition out of the water for the KR job. Perhaps I'm underestimating his speed, and how much the coaches value that. But I suspect that Bowles is more likely to keep around an extra LB or DB who plays ST--or has tremendous upside, or brings something else to the table long term--rather than a blazing fast, one-dimensional WR, or full-time KRer, who isn't even a sure catcher. The above play he made is tremenous, but I think that the time of a player earning a roster spot, because of a single play, is over.

Alas, I could be wrong though. I wouldn't necessarily mind that.

Owusu actually has some excellent skills for a WR.  His major concern is really just the concussions.  I think he should invest in the Star Wars helmet that Welker wore (not that it seemed to help him) because his physical ability to excellent.   

Enunwa/Evans should be an interesting battle.  

I don't think Hakim makes the team, he's fast but he doesn't seem like he's translating that to too many catches right now.   Maybe a PS guy, but I think there is too much talent on the team that are a better fit.  

Owusu actually has some excellent skills for a WR.  His major concern is really just the concussions.  I think he should invest in the Star Wars helmet that Welker wore (not that it seemed to help him) because his physical ability to excellent.   

Enunwa/Evans should be an interesting battle.  

I don't think Hakim makes the team, he's fast but he doesn't seem like he's translating that to too many catches right now.   Maybe a PS guy, but I think there is too much talent on the team that are a better fit.  

Agreed.

Owusu has the potential to get plenty of chances to see the field at WR, KR, and PR. I wasn't aware of his concussion problems, but as long as he stays healthy, he can contribute.

I think both Enunwa and Evans are headed to the PS, but if they DO make the 53, it'll only be one of them. I'd guess Enunwa.

That's how I feel about Hakim. I'm not sure if he's PS eligible, but if he is, they certainly should stash him there, at least. And there is a lot of other talent at multiple positions, which is exciting for us fans, but it's going to be tough for Bowles and co. to make the final decisions.

Agreed.

Owusu has the potential to get plenty of chances to see the field at WR, KR, and PR. I wasn't aware of his concussion problems, but as long as he stays healthy, he can contribute.

I think both Enunwa and Evans are headed to the PS, but if they DO make the 53, it'll only be one of them. I'd guess Enunwa.

That's how I feel about Hakim. I'm not sure if he's PS eligible, but if he is, they certainly should stash him there, at least. And there is a lot of other talent at multiple positions, which is exciting for us fans, but it's going to be tough for Bowles and co. to make the final decisions.

I think Evans/Enunwa both may not last on the PS if they show anything in the preseason, so it's going to be hard to stash them.  Either they show nothing, and are horrible, which hurts us, or they are going to flashing at which point some other team will take a shot because of the physical tools.  

The whole WR battle should be really interesting to watch in the preseason.  Owusu/Evans/Posey/Enunwa/Hakim/Hill/Graham.  The roster turn around there is actually a pleasant surprise because we finally have weapons to choose from, instead of waiting around all preseason hoping someone talented got dropped from another team.  

Sounds like Kerley Long term future with this team could be in doubt..

Good point.

Jeremy needs to have a HUGE year with all these guys nipping on his heels. It already seems like Chan is leaning towards Owusu as the 3rd WR in camp. I see Kerley bumped down to the 4th & basically in a rotation to keep Owusu fresh.

Gonna be nice to have some depth at WR.

It's amazing to think with Decker hurt last year, Geno was throwing to David Nelson as a #1, lmao, just think about that for a moment.

And the year before was watching Stephen Hill drop another 1st down ball, (now he's OUT OF THE LEAGUE).

Geno played with some of the worst offensive talent in the league the last 2 years, that's a FACT!

I can't stand that hakim clip of him chasing down Watkins. Literally enraging. Why a kick returner / wide receiver was playing safety last year just proves how pathetic we were. Bottom line is he got burnt / was out of position / gave up a 50 yard play. The fact he chased him down I don't care.

I think Evans/Enunwa both may not last on the PS if they show anything in the preseason, so it's going to be hard to stash them.  Either they show nothing, and are horrible, which hurts us, or they are going to flashing at which point some other team will take a shot because of the physical tools.  

Remember that there are 31 other PS that will be stashing borderline NFL receivers. I'm not sure the Jets are the 1st team other GM's turn to when they need WR talent. That may work to our advantage

It does sound like Owusu is looking good, but remember that he has been known as a guy with all the skills that "looks good in shorts" since college.  Has all the speed, talent and character and never really produced much, even at Stanford. 

Hakim provides a lot on specials.  He played a few downs at  S last year because they were generally blitzing him.  I don't think he had anything to do with Watkins being open.  IIRC he was faking a blitz and dropping to the right.  I think Watkins caught the ball from the deep left (of the D).  I am pretty sure that it was Walls (shh, don't tell Carl) that got beat.  Hakim is crazy fast - as in faster than the other speedsters - and will do whatever is asked.  He is not that natural as a WR, but should be able to generate some offense for a coach that uses what he has.  He has made some catches in camp.  He returns and is a good gunner.

Graham is the guy that I like. He is a good gunner, returns and seems a little more polished as a WR than the others.  He also has not put it together, but he is pretty fast in his own right.  Graham had a fair rookie season.  When the Bills switched coaches he got kind of lost in the shuffle and cut his 3rd year. He was super weak coming into the league, presumably that has been rectified.

I am not worried about "stashing" Evans or Enunwa.  If they can't contribute then **** 'em.  This is not DE where we have some developmental prospect that can't make the team over Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams.  If a guy can't beat out our lower level WRs then I will not lament the loss.  They both still have a shot and both seem more like WR's than "speedsters".  With Smith down they may want a guy to take the top off

The return game could decide things.  Strangely only Powell and Kerley returned punts last year and Kerley was way better.  Ugh.  They gave everyone a shot at kickoffs.  Hakim and Graham did not do too well.  Powell did very well.  Owusu had one very long return, but he only returned two. 

Remember that there are 31 other PS that will be stashing borderline NFL receivers. I'm not sure the Jets are the 1st team other GM's turn to when they need WR talent. That may work to our advantage

I think most guys with even a shrivel of talent get picked up by atleast one team (Stephen Hill, AJ Jenkins) because they think they can cure the guy and tap into the talent.   And then, also have to factor in what the players are usually thinking, about their best chance.  Do I have a good chance breaking in between Marshall/Decker/Kerley/Smith or do I have a better chance going to say the Browns and trying to get some playing time, even if it's still the PS there as well.  I think that was Hill's thinking last year, where he wanted to go to a team that had a depleted WR core so he had a better shot with a better QB.   

Hakim is crazy fast - as in faster than the other speedsters - and will do whatever is asked.  He is not that natural as a WR, but should be able to generate some offense for a coach that uses what he has.  He has made some catches in camp.  He returns and is a good gunner.

#Wildcat!

Archived