~ ~ Memo to Jets: Don't even think about Robert Griffin III ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RG3 just hit the like button on an Instagram post ripping the Washington Redskins.  You can't make this stuff up again where's the upside?

Nope...he is now saying it wasn't him, it was an intern in charge of his social media AKA he listened to Cris Carter and has a "fall guy" :D

RG3 is a coach killer.   The only teams would consider him need to have entrenched coaches and starting QB's or Rex going full circus in Buffalo.    

London Fletcher On How Jay Gruden Failed At His Job Of Developing RG3 http://t.co/PU0FmUhKko via @thacover2 http://t.co/mDX7bwuiBo

according to london don fletcher the coach killed him not the other way around .

Not even close.  Tim Tebow's career completion percentage is pretty much an NFL worst ever, 47 %.  And he averaged 6.7 ypa.  In short, he never was a pro QB, even when he was "leading" the Broncos to a playoff victory.  RG3, meanwhile, is a starting-caliber passer who just can't stay healthy

His current pricetag ($6.7M this year and $16.2M due next year) is absurd, but if he were paid, say, Brian Hoyer money (2-year deal, $5.2M cap hit per), he becomes a bargain.  And remember, he's only 25 years old.

While I agree he's worth kicking the tires on if released, he is nowhere near a proven passer. He was largely a dump-off passer with zero pocket presence or footwork. There has been video/article after video/article showing just how weak he is when attempting to be an NFL pocket passer. He was blessed with physical gifts prior to the knee injury but this version of RGIII  is slower and needs a lot of work.

One NFL team was quoted as saying that by the 2nd half of games they played against him they basically covered only one side of the field due to how awful he was in staring down receivers and simply being incapable of going through his progressions.

Snyder took him under his wing and the kid simply stopped working which is why two HC's have soured on him. I think a weak OL has him a little shell shocked as well....possibly permanently. 

Worth a look if released but doesn't appear to be NFL starting QB material at the moment.

fwiw I was just busting ur chops.  Cause I know that's your guy . Lol sorry for throwing the thread off topic. 

I didnt take it any particular way at all. I appreciate the convo. My football love and continuous talk of "That guy" bothers some people here as you can see lol, though I know Jetsfan80 was busting my chops as well. No need to apologize 24, its all good bro. 

London Fletcher On How Jay Gruden Failed At His Job Of Developing RG3 http://t.co/PU0FmUhKko via @thacover2 http://t.co/mDX7bwuiBo

according to london don fletcher the coach killed him not the other way around .

Gruden would be the 2nd coach that RG3 killed.   How does London Fletcher explain RG3 dictating his rehab schedule in training camp?   how about the passive aggressive way he addressed his initial knee injury?   How about his going around the coach, OC, and GM to have private meetings with the owner?   

RG3 = coach killer.   

Eh I would sign him if he is cut .. Low risk high reward 

I don't see it. Geno has a higher upside than RGIII. Petty has a higher upside than RGIII, hell, Matt Simms has a higher upside than RGIII. They can all throw from the pocket. RGIII can't. You think Geno is bad at reading defenses? RGIII makes Geno look like Peyton Manning in that area. Plus he is about as durable as a pinata.

I don't see it. Geno has a higher upside than RGIII. Petty has a higher upside than RGIII, hell, Matt Simms has a higher upside than RGIII. They can all throw from the pocket. RGIII can't. You think Geno is bad at reading defenses? RGIII makes Geno look like Peyton Manning in that area. Plus he is about as durable as a pinata.

I guess we're the only ones who have actually watched this guy play recently.  I would start Petty over him at this point.

You don't start Petty over RG3 because that would most like not give petty his best chance to turn into a franchise QB at some point in his future.

that is the main reason

... Even though for 2015 RG3's W-L record certainly could be worse than what Petty's results would have been 

The Washington Redskins named Kirk Cousins their starting quarterback on Monday for Week 1 against the Miami Dolphins, putting Robert Griffin III’s future with the franchise in serious doubt.With final cuts due by 4 p.m. ET Saturday, we asked our NFL Nation network of 32 reporters to rate the interest (low, medium, high) each of their teams would have in acquiring Griffin, who could be traded or released by the Redskins.

~ ~  New York Jets  : Low. Maybe they’d consider it after the season. For now, they’re comfortable with starter Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith, who should be healthy and available after the fourth game. Rookie Bryce Petty will carry the clipboard for at least a year. -- Rich Cimin

rest of above article :

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/177355/bears-bills-browns-eagles-giants-likely-destinations-for-robert-griffin-iii

You don't start Petty over RG3 because that would most like not give petty his best chance to turn into a franchise QB at some point in his future.

that is the main reason

... Even though for 2015 RG3's W-L record certainly could be worse than what Petty's results would have been 

think his point was that at this point in time Petty is better than RG3, not it was a good way to develop Petty :blink:

Because they traded for a QB this offseason.  Twos a better idea? 

I said if RG3 gets cut, not that the Eagles would trade for him. Chip also went out and got 2 RBs who have a history of injury in the off season so why not have two QBs in the same boat. Chip wants a QB who can run the ball he wanted Mariota and when he couldn't move up that far he went and brought Tebow back from the dead. Aside from Chip wanting the type of QB that RG3 has/had the skill set of being, RG3 will want to play in philly because that is the best shot he will get at reviving his career.

I said if RG3 gets cut, not that the Eagles would trade for him. Chip also went out and got 2 RBs who have a history of injury in the off season so why not have two QBs in the same boat. Chip wants a QB who can run the ball he wanted Mariota and when he couldn't move up that far he went and brought Tebow back from the dead. Aside from Chip wanting the type of QB that RG3 has/had the skill set of being, RG3 will want to play in philly because that is the best shot he will get at reviving his career.

not the point, they have a starting QB.  RG3 isn't a backup.  Given his injuries, his drop off in speed and risk of injury anytime he runs I'm not even sure if he is Chips type anymore.

Also, no one anywhere knows that Chip wanted Mariota, that's speculation because they come from O

not the point, they have a starting QB.  RG3 isn't a backup.  Given his injuries, his drop off in speed and risk of injury anytime he runs I'm not even sure if he is Chips type anymore.

Also, no one anywhere knows that Chip wanted Mariota, that's speculation because they come from O

you could see him licking his lips while watching Mariota at the combine, it was his old college QB. He obviously didn't want Mariota bad enough to mortgage the franchise but there is no doubt nor is it speculation that Chip would have loved to have Mariota.

you could see him licking his lips while watching Mariota at the combine, it was his old college QB. He obviously didn't want Mariota bad enough to mortgage the franchise but there is no doubt nor is it speculation that Chip would have loved to have Mariota.

yeah, you and every media guy with a dream saw what no one else actually saw.  He didn't even try to make a move up the draft.  If this was the type of QB he wanted, who he thinks is best to run his offense, who he was sold on because of the time together, why wouldn't he make an offer for someone he was licking his lips over?  

think his point was that at this point in time Petty is better than RG3, not it was a good way to develop Petty :blink:

If that is true I agree with Johnny

if he was inferring that he would start Petty over RG3 for the Jets in 2015 I disagree with that decision

yeah, you and every media guy with a dream saw what no one else actually saw.  He didn't even try to make a move up the draft.  If this was the type of QB he wanted, who he thinks is best to run his offense, who he was sold on because of the time together, why wouldn't he make an offer for someone he was licking his lips over?  

Because if he made the type of offer that it would have took to move up for Mariota the Eagles would have no draft picks for the next two years.

fyi..

~ ~  -- As of Friday evening, Robert Griffin III remained unsure whether his latest neurological exam would result in his clearance from the concussion that held him out of the team's final two preseason games.

It turns out, the urgency of those results no longer matters to his Saturday fate.

In a move that will likely surprise many in the sports world, the Redskins plan to keep Griffin as their second-string quarterback, team sources say, despite the hefty risk of a potential hit that would cost the team $16.2 million in the case of injury.Barring an unforeseen situation this afternoon, Griffin is expected to be listed second on the depth chart behind Kirk Cousins and ahead of Colt McCoy. NFL Media's Albert Breer adds that McCoy will be the backup for the season opener due to questions regarding RGIII's health, per a team source. No promises were made to McCoy beyond that, though. The decision to keep Griffin currently has the approval of general manager Scot McCloughan, coach Jay Gruden and owner Dan Snyder, a team source said.

If the Redskins decided to cut Griffin, they would have still absorbed a $6.7 million cap hit in 2015 - while also still paying him his $3.25 million in guaranteed money. Because he has no offset language in his contract, Griffin still would have earned that money from the Redskins even if he'd signed with another team after clearing waivers.From that standpoint, it made sense for the Redskins to keep him around. However, it is the language about the injury guarantee in his contract that made the team initially hesitant about whether it was wise to keep him. It is that situation that has left many believing the team would potentially part ways with Griffin as soon as he was cleared of his concussion.If Griffin, for instance, suffers an injury even during practice that causes him to fail a physical at this season's end, the Redskins are on the hook for his $16.2 million salary in 2016, regardless of whether they cut him or keep him as a highly-paid backup.

So from that standpoint, yes, the Redskins are taking a significant chance - a chance, however, they are apparently willing to take.Team sources say this was not a political decision but rather a football one. The Redskins ultimately believed, as of Saturday morning, that Griffin is the second-best quarterback on the roster and should be kept on the team as a result. No doubt, it is also possible the team could dangle Griffin as trade bait this season, but if a team did want to trade for him, they would be forced to commit to those same financial risks facing the Redskins regarding Griffin's 2016 salary.While Gruden has declared this to be "Kirk's team," it wouldn't be the first time Griffin and Cousins played musical chairs as the starting quarterback should Griffin eventually see the field. It also wouldn't be the first time Gruden, who declared Griffin the starter for the entirety of 2015 this past offseason, went back on his previous words.

Last season, during six starts while Griffin recovered from a dislocated ankle, Cousins started hot but eventually struggled. He threw four interceptions in the final two games before Griffin returned, finishing his season with a passer rating of 86.4.Cousins, however, has had an improved preseason. He has looked sharp enough for the Redskins to decide he is better suited to enter the regular season as the starting quarterback. In his three preseason appearances, he has a combined passer rating of 103.9.

And so now, Griffin is expected to remain on the roster with the Redskins to open the regular season -- a revelation that will leave the door open for the potential comeback that was largely dismissed as soon as Cousins was named the starter this week.

>   http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000522871/article/washington-redskins-plan-to-keep-rgiii

If Rex was still here he would jump through the roof to get him even though he doesn't fit into any conventional offense. He is not a pocket passer and never will be. He doesn't have the skill set. Philadelphia is the only place he could fit in because Chip would design an offense for him. Rex loved to smash square pegs into round holes.

Because if he made the type of offer that it would have took to move up for Mariota the Eagles would have no draft picks for the next two years.

we don't know this.  People love to speculate.  But there isn't a shred of proof that Chip would have made the deal if it was doable.  He may have wanted him, my point is the media guesses and runs with it.  

Look at RG3, they're now guessing the Jets would be interested.  Not a shred of fact just assume since we have a screwed up QB issue that we want him.  No one anywhere from th Jets have said this.

we don't know this.  People love to speculate.  But there isn't a shred of proof that Chip would have made the deal if it was doable.  He may have wanted him, my point is the media guesses and runs with it.  

Look at RG3, they're now guessing the Jets would be interested.  Not a shred of fact just assume since we have a screwed up QB issue that we want him.  No one anywhere from th Jets have said this.

I haven't seen anywhere that the Jets would be interested, I did hear Bowels shot the idea down pretty quick when asked if the Jets would be interested.

Two weeks after team said he was cleared, RG3 still isn’t

Two weeks ago, a statement issued by the team said Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III had been cleared to play.But he wasn’t cleared to play. And he still hasn’t been cleared to play.Washington coach Jay Gruden said today that the team still hasn’t received a written report from the league’s neurologist on whether Griffin can return from a concussion.

Something fishy is going on with Griffin’s concussion diagnosis. When he first went down in a preseason game against the Lions three weeks ago, the team couldn’t get its story straight about whether he had a concussion or not. After announcing that Griffin had a concussion, the team said it was minor and wouldn’t cause him to miss any preseason games. Griffin himself has still not confirmed that he had a concussion at all and repeatedly refused to answer when asked directly.

Now, three weeks after Griffin left that preseason game with the Lions, he still isn’t cleared. It’s anyone’s guess when he will be.

> http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/10/two-weeks-after-team-said-he-was-cleared-rg3-still-isnt/

Washington should cut Griffin now

Three years ago, the NFL unfairly swiped $36 million in cap space from Washington for treating the uncapped year of 2010 like (who knew?) an uncapped year. Also in 2012, the team gave up three first-round picks and a second-round pick to get quarterback Robert Griffin III.And his continuing presence on the roster puts the team at risk of losing $16.1 million in cap space and cash in 2016.

Now that Griffin finally has been cleared from a concussion that it initially wasn’t clear he had even suffered, the team needs to unload him before another concussion or some other injury potentially forces them to pay him the money next year. For now, his fifth-year option salary is guaranteed for injury only. Surely, the team will be cutting him before that amount becomes fully guaranteed in March.

So why not do it now  ?

They’re likely squatting on his rights because they’ll owe him $3.249 million for 2015 whether he’s on the team or not, and that amount won’t be reduced by money he makes elsewhere. But if the broader goal is to keep him from being injured in a way that would chew up more than 10 percent of the team’s cap space in 2016, why not eliminate the temptation to play Griffin by removing him from the roster  ?  Another more convoluted reason to keep Griffin potentially arises from the fear that he’ll go somewhere else and thrive. By next year, that won’t matter, since there’s no way he’ll be back at $16.1 million. So why not part ways now, when he’d have a much harder time learning a new offense on the fly and contributing to a new team, even if it were a team like the Eagles?

Sure, the team would have only Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy at quarterback if Griffin goes. So bring in Terrelle Pryor or Jeff Tuel or Rex Grossman or pretty much anyone who’s available and who wouldn’t saddle the team with a $16 million liability in 2016 if he gets seriously injured in 2015.For anyone confused by why the franchise landed at No. 32 in our initial power rankings of the season, the fact that Griffin remains employed by it is pretty much all the evidence you need.

>   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/12/washington-should-cut-griffin-now/

Archived