Jason Taylor: Todd Bowles is freaking perfect

Jet in PA

Former DE Jason Taylor on Jets' Todd Bowles: 'He's freaking perfect'

Fox Sports 19 hours ago

Pick

For the most part, Todd Bowles has handled his first offseason as a head coach fairly well. He's had to go through the sudden loss of his quarterback, Geno Smith, as well as issues surrounding Sheldon Richardson.

In legendary defensive end Jason Taylor's mind, he's done everything right.

"He’s freaking perfect," Taylor told Brian Costello of the New York Post.

Taylor played most of his career in Miami with the Dolphins, but he also played one season with the Jets. While in Miami, though, Taylor played under Bowles. Needless to say, he's a huge fan of the Jets' head coach, but not just for his smarts on the field, but his ability to motivate players, as well.

"Schematically, forget about it," Taylor said. "There’s nobody out there that can touch him.

"He’s honest, very honest, and he’ll tell the players exactly where they are and what they need to do. He’ll have a very focused, disciplined team that won’t have a ton of mental errors or penalties. He won’t put up with that."

Bowles has already instilled a few punishments for the Jets, making them run for talking about the Smith incident or committing more than five penalties in practice. He appears to have the Jets on the right track early on, but it's still too soon to crown him the king of New York. That won't change Taylor's opinion of him, though.

"If Todd’s the head coach, I want to play for Todd," said Taylor. "That’s the kind of guy he is. I would run through a brick wall for him."

I thought this was pretty cool. If players play hard for him matching that with his defensive schemes it's like having Rex without the baggage.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Former DE Jason Taylor on Jets' Todd Bowles: 'He's freaking perfect'

Fox Sports 19 hours ago

Pick

For the most part, Todd Bowles has handled his first offseason as a head coach fairly well. He's had to go through the sudden loss of his quarterback, Geno Smith, as well as issues surrounding Sheldon Richardson.

In legendary defensive end Jason Taylor's mind, he's done everything right.

"He’s freaking perfect," Taylor told Brian Costello of the New York Post.

Taylor played most of his career in Miami with the Dolphins, but he also played one season with the Jets. While in Miami, though, Taylor played under Bowles. Needless to say, he's a huge fan of the Jets' head coach, but not just for his smarts on the field, but his ability to motivate players, as well.

"Schematically, forget about it," Taylor said. "There’s nobody out there that can touch him.

"He’s honest, very honest, and he’ll tell the players exactly where they are and what they need to do. He’ll have a very focused, disciplined team that won’t have a ton of mental errors or penalties. He won’t put up with that."

Bowles has already instilled a few punishments for the Jets, making them run for talking about the Smith incident or committing more than five penalties in practice. He appears to have the Jets on the right track early on, but it's still too soon to crown him the king of New York. That won't change Taylor's opinion of him, though.

"If Todd’s the head coach, I want to play for Todd," said Taylor. "That’s the kind of guy he is. I would run through a brick wall for him."

I thought this was pretty cool. If players play hard for him matching that with his defensive schemes it's like having Rex without the baggage.

But, but, but...  I thought Rex was master motivator of brick wall running through.

But, but, but...  I thought Rex was master motivator of brick wall running through.

Remember when Jason Taylor left the Dolphags for the team he hated more than any other because he fell in love with Rex Ryan and was convinced the Jets gave him the best chance at Super Bowl?

As much as I loved Rex, I'll never forgive him for that.  

**** Jason Taylor. 

Remember when Jason Taylor left the Dolphags for the team he hated more than any other because he fell in love with Rex Ryan and was convinced the Jets gave him the best chance at Super Bowl?

**** Jason Taylor. 

He was just happy to have a job at that stage of his career.

**** Jason Taylor. 

Rex loved him some 3 year old tape and memories of sport center highlights as a way of deciding who ended up on the final 53. 

******* hack.

Rex loved him some 3 year old tape and memories of sport center highlights as a way of deciding who ended up on the final 53. 

******* hack.

Well, also the dirt-cheap Taylor was the most expensive UFA we could get our hands on due to league rules. And we had to let Feely go even for that to happen. Folk is a great kicker now, and was a great pickup, but the year before we picked him up to replace Feely, Folk was a disaster for Dallas. 

I'm no fan of Taylor for all his years as a whiny c**t in Miami, but considering circumstances and expectations as a situational player, he generally did a good job for us. He had 7 sacks the prior season for Washington. Bryan Thomas had 2 for the 2009 Jets (and the 2 years prior, had 5.5 and 2.5). It was a reasonable addition.

I simply forget offhand, but in late August of 2010 what OLB were you screaming to make the final 53 instead of Taylor? Was it Josh Mauga or Tim Knicky?

Well, also the dirt-cheap Taylor was the most expensive UFA we could get our hands on due to league rules. And we had to let Feely go even for that to happen. Folk is a great kicker now, and was a great pickup, but the year before we picked him up to replace Feely, Folk was a disaster for Dallas. 

I'm no fan of Taylor for all his years as a whiny c**t in Miami, but considering circumstances and expectations as a situational player, he generally did a good job for us. He had 7 sacks the prior season for Washington. Bryan Thomas had 2 for the 2009 Jets (and the 2 years prior, had 5.5 and 2.5). It was a reasonable addition.

I simply forget offhand, but in late August of 2010 what OLB were you screaming to make the final 53 instead of Taylor? Was it Josh Mauga or Tim Knicky?

You're missing the point. Rex had zero scouting acumen.

You're missing the point. Rex had zero scouting acumen.

You didn't make that point (or any other). You made the point, in so many words, that Taylor was unworthy of making the final 53, because he's not the player he was years earlier (and that Ryan was oblivious to this, despite Taylor being behind people on the depth chart), and said nothing more. This insinuates, to anyone reasonably interpreting your post, that some other OLB on the late August roster was more worthy.

Hey, as a generality, f*ck Jason Taylor. But the reality is in 2010 he wasn't a bad player for us. He was far more worthy of making the final 53 than any DE/OLB we cut, or that could be found in FA for $1.75M or less. Particularly without the benefit of hindsight to cherry-pick a single player here or there that was nothing of the known quantity Taylor was (lower upside, but lower floor as well). I don't think he was the best player in the league we could have added. But he was far from the worst, given the options at the time.

And he was surely worthy of making the roster. Someday I expect I'll get over not seeing more playing time from Jamal Westerman.

You didn't make that point (or any other). You made the point, in so many words, that Taylor was unworthy of making the final 53, because he's not the player he was years earlier (and that Ryan was oblivious to this, despite Taylor being behind people on the depth chart), and said nothing more. This insinuates, to anyone reasonably interpreting your post, that some other OLB on the late August roster was more worthy.

Hey, as a generality, f*ck Jason Taylor. But the reality is in 2010 he wasn't a bad player for us. He was far more worthy of making the final 53 than any DE/OLB we cut, or that could be found in FA for $1.75M or less. Particularly without the benefit of hindsight to cherry-pick a single player here or there that was nothing of the known quantity Taylor was (lower upside, but lower floor as well). I don't think he was the best player in the league we could have added. But he was far from the worst, given the options at the time.

And he was surely worthy of making the roster. Someday I expect I'll get over not seeing more playing time from Jamal Westerman.

No, what I said didn't insinuate that at all. It quite specifically says that Rex reviews out-dated tape and even more out-dated memories of highlights when evaluating a veteran player's overall worth to the roster. 

My post was a dig at Rex, and his affinity for out-dated scouting where it concerns veteran a-hole players. That was the point I made, successfully, and a point I've harped on for a long time. I'm not a new member, I think I'm entitled to assume familiar users can connect the dots between a dig like this, and the history of related posts it harkens to. 

No, what I said didn't insinuate that at all. It quite specifically says that Rex reviews out-dated tape and even more out-dated memories of highlights when evaluating a veteran player's overall worth to the roster. 

My post was a dig at Rex, and his affinity for out-dated scouting where it concerns veteran a-hole players. That was the point I made, successfully, and a point I've harped on for a long time. I'm not a new member, I think I'm entitled to assume familiar users can connect the dots between a dig like this, and the history of related posts it harkens to. 

You say it all the time, so we should ignore it?  Did I translate that correctly?

1. Ape expresses hysterically overcooked and self-aggrandizing opinion

2. Someone calls out Ape for factual inaccuracy and/or logical inconsistency of said opinion

3. Ape denies ever having expressed said opinion

4. Someone confronts Ape with direct evidence of having expressed said opinion

5. Thread devolves into page after page of semantic hair-splitting and sexual insults

6. Ape abruptly declares that he doesn't know what anyone is arguing about; that he never actually believed said opinion; that expressing said opinion was simply a way to rile up the board for his own amusement; that, in fact, he has never cared about anything, because caring about things is for women; that anyone who argues on a message board is a loser; that he is currently hysterically laughing at all of us and our sad, empty lives

7. Go to 1

2. Someone calls out Ape for factual inaccuracy and/or logical inconsistency of said opinion

5. Thread devolves into page after page of semantic hair-splitting and sexual insults

6. Ape abruptly declares that he doesn't know what anyone is arguing about; that he never actually believed said opinion; that expressing said opinion was simply a way to rile up the board for his own amusement; that, in fact, he has never cared about anything, because caring about things is for women; that anyone who argues on a message board is a loser; that he is currently hysterically laughing at all of us for our sad, empty lives

7. Go to 1

I failed at trying to find an Ape in a nutshell picture.  

6. Ape abruptly declares that he doesn't know what anyone is arguing about; that he never actually believed said opinion; that expressing said opinion was simply a way to rile up the board for his own amusement; that, in fact, he has never cared about anything, because caring about things is for women; that anyone who argues on a message board is a loser; that he is currently hysterically laughing at all of us and our sad, empty lives

7. Go to 1

Fair assessment, didn't happen here, but it's good to know you pay more attention to me, than I do to you.

Archived