Fitz's impact on the O-line

AFJF

Of all the things I saw yesterday that encouraged me I'd have to say it was the same thing that jumped out at me at camp, which you never know if it will carry over or not...but seeing how quickly Fitz got rid of the ball. 

He made his decisions in a hurry and the ball came out before any defenders had a chance to get to him.  As a result, a Jets o-line that got killed by the fans last season when Geno was holding the ball for 4+ seconds and getting sacked, kept Fitz upright all day.  No dancing around, no running toward the opposite end zone under pressure.

Fun to watch.

Agreed.  He left some plays on the field.  A couple of throws he missed or could have placed better...but all in all, he performed well and I think the OL definitely benefited from having a QB who makes quick decisions and tends to actually stay in the pocket and make plays.  Everyone loves the QB that can drag a play out, move around and make something out of nothing...but it takes a tole on the OL.  It's much easier to get consistent play out of the OL when they're blocking for a steady pocket passer and mashing when they run the ball. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To quote the immortal Winston Wolf... "let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet..." because Fitz did have a couple of moments of sloppiness yesterday.  But with that said I think that we can put to bed some of that nonsense being tossed out there by Geno fanbois about Fitz being the worst Jets QB of all time.

Not perfect yesterday but good enough and way better than the record suggests wee would have gotten from Geno. 

Amazing to me that Geno has fanbois

Or you can have both and be Aaron Rodgers. 

Like the old economist joke: A physicist, engineer, and economist are stuck on desert island. A can of beanie wienies washes ashore. The three debate how to open to minimize losing the food. The Physicist suggests they rig a pulley system to launch the can into the air so it lands on a rock and they can scrape up the beans and eat them. The Engineer thinks the risk of food loss is too great and suggest they put the can in between two large rocks and jump on top until the can bursts open.  The Economist informs them that they are both fools, and announces his plan: "All we need to do is assume we have a can opener, and..."

Amazing to me that Geno has fanbois

Fanbois who are so dedicated that they understand the need to trash Fitz as a way to try and ensure the return of their guy.

Fanbois who are almost universally silent this morning. The exact opposite of what i would expect to see if things had gone differently yesterday.

Agreed.  He left some plays on the field.  A couple of throws he missed or could have placed better...but all in all, he performed well and I think the OL definitely benefited from having a QB who makes quick decisions and tends to actually stay in the pocket and make plays.  Everyone loves the QB that can drag a play out, move around and make something out of nothing...but it takes a tole on the OL.  It's much easier to get consistent play out of the OL when they're blocking for a steady pocket passer and mashing when they run the ball. 

I accept your apology.

in fitz's post game interview he said he saw the lb and threw it over him but didn't see the safety underneath and that's who picked it.  had nothing to do with lack of arm strength.

doubt he's going to say he doesn't have the arm strength...

still a really nice win all around.  given the weak schedule this year i hope we can have a decent year with 7-10 wins.  i will take that.

I accept your apology.

Dont get carried away but I was pleasantly surprised yesterday.  And that's not what our whole debate was about and you know that. 

I still gasp when he drops back to pass.  I'm not sure if that's a Fitz fault or just years of watching the Jets QB...but some of those out patterns...yikes!!!  Those balls seems to be in the air for like 30 seconds! 

Brady has a rocket arm always has. Its just not what they do in new England. Now Manning has lost a lot of zip probably due to his nerve damage yet the guy still throws for 4000 + yards and 30 to 40 TD's a year with short passes. We can do the same no need to ever push the issue with this offense the way its built. Its much easier on a QB to create mismatches underneath than ask him to throw 20 yard outs all the time.

I see you're point man and its a valid opinion but even if Fitz had a gun I don't think things would change very much other than the occasional broken play where he would have to scramble and gun a ball in there to make a play.

Yeah they go BOOM when losing games ...I seem to remember Brett "cannon" Favre going boom his entire career in the playoffs :P

The only QB with a gun for an arm that's worth a sh*t in this league is Aaron Rodgers and trust me we are not going to be in that category of QB for a long long time if ever

So, you are saying Brady is not worth a sh*t?

At no point did you see abysmal arm strength?  the pick that Marshall stipped from the safety was an example of a drastically under thrown ball where he needed to throw over the top to Marshall and he just didn't have the arm, despite it being a seam route inside the numbers.

The Jets are playing Decker and Marshall more in the slot this year to help make up for his arm weakness.  throwing inside the numbers is much easier than outside the numbers, so put your best WRs against the weaker CBs in the slot that helps your weak armed QB complete passes...they handled the weak arm through scheme, but there were still glimpses of even that not helping...hence the easy pick and miracle by Marshall.

the interception was not over thrown. it was thrown exactly where it was meant to be thrown. fitz just didn't see the safety

Of all the things I saw yesterday that encouraged me I'd have to say it was the same thing that jumped out at me at camp, which you never know if it will carry over or not...but seeing how quickly Fitz got rid of the ball. 

He made his decisions in a hurry and the ball came out before any defenders had a chance to get to him.  As a result, a Jets o-line that got killed by the fans last season when Geno was holding the ball for 4+ seconds and getting sacked, kept Fitz upright all day.  No dancing around, no running toward the opposite end zone under pressure.

Fun to watch.

the OL played great, he had all day to throw.  They didn't come close to rushing him the majority of the game, have to give them credit.

the interception was not over thrown. it was thrown exactly where it was meant to be thrown. fitz just didn't see the safety

We'll have to agree to disagree...the INT was clearly under cut by the safety and the pass was not in front of Marshall, who reached behind him and stripped the ball back.  I find it hard to believe the ball is where it needs to be if Marshall had to reach behind him and the safety undercut the WR to make the pick.  The ball should have been over the top and in front of marshall, then the safety would have had to run out in front of Marshall to make the pick, which he wouldn't have been able to do...

Dont get carried away but I was pleasantly surprised yesterday.  And that's not what our whole debate was about and you know that. 

I still gasp when he drops back to pass.  I'm not sure if that's a Fitz fault or just years of watching the Jets QB...but some of those out patterns...yikes!!!  Those balls seems to be in the air for like 30 seconds! 

probably years of Jets football JIF . Of course the Jury is still out on Fitz but the first game was promising vs a secondary that's usually pretty damn good. Marshall made some very nice plays screening out Haden and we have not seen that type of WR play since Keyshawn and Chrebet. A WR has got to make a play now and then on a bad throw Decker and marshall are those guys and Owusu is really starting to impress me a lot. I think we finally have all the pieces in place if our Defense starts tearing teams up. If Fitz can do this for a couple more years while petty learns we could be in pretty damn good shape. Does that mean we don't draft a QB in the next few years ? Hell no but this is the best we have looked at the position in a long long time.

Also Keep in mind this is the first time Fitz is playing with Real Possession type WR's in his career . He has played with some burners in Buffalo years back but how many of those guys were the "convert the 3rd and 7-10 yard guys" like we currently possess on this team ? I feel this offense is built for the guy, now its up to him to perform. I also LOVE the fact Gailey is our OC when was the last time you saw a game called like that ? He kept the Browns who have a good defense off balance all day long and he didn't split out a FB once :) . Only bad call was the Bohannon run on 4th and one. I see what they were trying to do catching the DL off balance but it didn't work and Bohannon should have dove over the pile cause it was there if he did.

We'll have to agree to disagree...the INT was clearly under cut by the safety and the pass was not in front of Marshall, who reached behind him and stripped the ball back.  I find it hard to believe the ball is where it needs to be if Marshall had to reach behind him and the safety undercut the WR to make the pick.  The ball should have been over the top and in front of marshall, then the safety would have had to run out in front of Marshall to make the pick, which he wouldn't have been able to do...

the ball was placed on the inside shoulder of a still running marshal. don't see how this pass was under thrown by "a mile". if the safety doesn't intercept the ball, its a completion.its that simple

Kinda surprised anyone talking about Fitz arm strength after seeing that dime he threw to Decker for the TD. 

will be interesting to see if his arm strength gets better the next few weeks.  Is this it for his arm or is his leg still have room for improvement 

Fanbois who are so dedicated that they understand the need to trash Fitz as a way to try and ensure the return of their guy.

Fanbois who are almost universally silent this morning. The exact opposite of what i would expect to see if things had gone differently yesterday.

sure works both ways.  Flip Fitz for Geno and it's the same argument both ways.  That's what happens when you're comparing one mediocre QB to another. 

the OL played great, he had all day to throw.  They didn't come close to rushing him the majority of the game, have to give them credit.

Absolutely...I was given Fitz credit for making it stand up.  As I said in the OP, they were hammered by the fans last year for how often Geno got sacked but that guy just held on to the ball for so long that the defense would eventually get to him.  Having a QB get rid of the ball in a timely manner shows that everyone is doing their jobs.

Even if you're correct that's not an arm strength issue it was his decision on placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely...I was given Fitz credit for making it stand up.  As I said in the OP, they were hammered by the fans last year for how often Geno got sacked but that guy just held on to the ball for so long that the defense would eventually get to him.  Having a QB get rid of the ball in a timely manner shows that everyone is doing their jobs.

True, but we do also have a new blocking scheme and a veteran LG. yes geno took a lot of sacks holding the ball too long but he also took quite a bit where the line just got decimated.

I think what's my at overlooked is Gailey's ability to coach on the fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sure works both ways.  Flip Fitz for Geno and it's the same argument both ways.  That's what happens when you're comparing one mediocre QB to another. 

Except that by any generally accepted statistical measure Geno has been the worst QB in the NFL for two years and the only comparison that is helpful to your side is if you assume that Geno is going to make a big move up to mediocre while at the same time trying to make Fitz look way worse than he really is.

to get back to the OL for a second, the fact that there's an actual professional starting left guard in James Carpenter between Brick and Mangold makes a huge difference. Last couple years they gave the job to Winters and then Oday, neither of which would actually start for another team. They put projects in the starting lineup in the hope they'd be good.  Winters wasn't Adrien Clarke level bad but it was a similar situation. He's a liability in pass pro, the guy was getting ragdolled in preseason on the 2nd OL. 

Now the Jets OL is full of veterans (all 5 spots) and Carpenter has the least experience with "only" 5 years in the league. 

... Plus it is the whole notion of equivalence that rubs me the wrong way here.  It is not two mediocre QBs being compared here.  It is one mediocre older QB (Fitzpatrick) and one very young but almost historically bad QB (Smith).

Since really bad QBs tend not to be starters fro two years I think I could make the case that Geno Smith is the the very worst QB in the history of the NFL with 20 or more starts in this league.

Speaking as a Jets fan I would have killed for "mediocre" the last two years.

the problem with that is that Geno wasn't sacked all that many times.  People remember the couple of times he took sacks he shouldn't have taken, a far different thing than being sacked often

to get back to the OL for a second, the fact that there's an actual professional starting left guard in James Carpenter between Brick and Mangold makes a huge difference. Last couple years they gave the job to Winters and then Oday, neither of which would actually start for another team. They put projects in the starting lineup in the hope they'd be good.  Winters wasn't Adrien Clarke level bad but it was a similar situation. He's a liability in pass pro, the guy was getting ragdolled in preseason on the 2nd OL. 

Now the Jets OL is full of veterans (all 5 spots) and Carpenter has the least experience with "only" 5 years in the league. 

For OL experience huge. Not just from a game smarts perspective but also time in an NFL caliber strength and conditioning program.

Except that by any generally accepted statistical measure Geno has been the worst QB in the NFL for two years and the only comparison that is helpful to your side is if you assume that Geno is going to make a big move up to mediocre while at the same time trying to make Fitz look way worse than he really is.

missing the point.  The Fitz guys are prediction Geno can't improve, they call him the worst QB in the NFL and refuse to even discuss the lack of talent as excuses.  Refuse to recognize that Geno did improve from year 1 to year 2.   It's the same argument from the other side of the argument.   And that anyone who points this out has to be a fanboy, because the implied insult helps your side.  And of course not to see any of this 

... Plus it is the whole notion of equivalence that rubs me the wrong way here.  It is not two mediocre QBs being compared here.  It is one mediocre older QB (Fitzpatrick) and one very young but almost historically bad QB (Smith).

Since really bad QBs tend not to be starters fro two years I think I could make the case that Geno Smith is the the very worst QB in the history of the NFL with 20 or more starts in this league.

Speaking as a Jets fan I would have killed for "mediocre" the last two years.

except you can't help adding the historically bad angle.  As wrong as it is, Geno wasn't close to historically bad a year ago.  Vinny was historically bad his first two seasons and put up one of the greatest seasons in Jets history 

He wasnt rushing either, he was calm, going through his progressions.  Very nice to see.

except you can't help adding the historically bad angle.  As wrong as it is, Geno wasn't close to historically bad a year ago.  Vinny was historically bad his first two seasons and put up one of the greatest seasons in Jets history 

Geno was awful last year as well... I am not sure how you reach a conclusion that he was not

There is simply no way to recover from the turnovers.  No way.

He was ranked worst in the league in a poll of NFL coaches.

He is young and has physical gifts but then so did Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell.

True.  At least there's no danger of him running into a lineman's butt or trying to do a behind the back keep-away from the lineman while dropping back 25 yards.  If he's gonna get picked he's gonna do it with balls.  I like balls.

Archived