It's only Gary Myers so it shouldn't bother me but it did

AFJF

you see everything as black and white.  Fitz has had numerous chances to at least help a team into playoff contention and has never done so.  Tebow had a fluky run where 8-8 won a division.

you see 100 yds and think a QB was bad, never mind the multiple big plays he made in that game- a rookie on the road against a heavily favored SD team that was the hottest in the conf and the SB favorite.  100 yds and he sucked! never mind we got a double digit lead and tried to run out the clock.  everything is black and white, every game the same when you look only at a stat sheet.

Okay, so when Tebow gets a playoff win despite being horrible t's flukey, but when Sanchez gets a playoff win despite being horrible it's multiple big plays?  Not hypocritical at all.

It's not 1950...completing 52% of your passes in today's NFL is not good.  Just because his defense was lights out and his running back bailed him out doesn't mean he was good.

You're a typical fan who just looks at the end result of the game and gives the QB all the credit even if his defense and running game had to do it for him because he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know its small sample size, but Fitzpatrick is currently 11th in QBR and 8th in DVOA.  Last year he was 22nd and 13th in those 2 categories, respectively.  That's not a bottom 10 QB.  He's better than Cousins, Tyrod, Claussen, Carr/McGloin, Bortles, Hoyer/Mallett, Manziel/McCown, Foles, Weeden, Bradford, and at this moment Winston.  And currently fans of the Chiefs, Lions, Vikings and Ravens can't be too pleased with the play of Alex Smith, Stafford, Bridgewater or Flacco right now either.

I would def. take Smith, Stafford, Flacco, Bradford, and Foles over Fitz, in a win now scenario (long term scenario most of the others too)  but even if he's not bottom 10, he's certainly close.   I like Fitz, but he has a very limited skill set - the type of guy that is unable to carry the team on his back - he'll need everything else to go right for him to succeed. 

Not a fan of Gary Myers - nor did I hear the interview - but if I'm basing it on the highlighted quote.  He's right.  That's exactly what the Jets are right now.  A top 10 defense with a bottom 10 QB...

Top 5 Defense

Top 10 Oline

Top 10 RBs

Top 5 WRs

Top 17 QB Sanchez was top 35 maybe

Top 5 offensive coordinator

This makes us top 5 in defense, maybe much higher if it comes together, and top 12 offense. That's for real in my book with our schedule

Okay, so when Tebow gets a playoff win idespite being horrible t's flukey, but when Sanchez gets a playoff win despite being horrible it's multiple big plays?  Not hypocritical at all.

It's not 1950...completing 52% of your passes in today's NFL is not good.  Just because his defense was lights out and his running back bailed him out doesn't mean he was good.

You're a typical fan who just looks at the end result of the game and gives the QB all the credit even if his defense and running game had to do it for him because he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

I must have missed Tebow winning any road playoff games and doing so in multiple playoff seasons so yeah 1 home playoff win in the WC rd is fluky.

comp % is incredibly overrated.  look at Ryan tannehill for evidence of that.

his D played a great game that day, that doesn't take away from what a rookie did for us in that spot to help us win.

at no point did I give Mark all the credit, we won w/ D first but even great Ds(which we never had) need quality QB play and Mark gave that to us but typical fans that only look at stat sheets would never know this.

I would def. take Smith, Stafford, Flacco, Bradford, and Foles over Fitz, in a win now scenario (long term scenario most of the others too)  but even if he's not bottom 10, he's certainly close.   I like Fitz, but he has a very limited skill set - the type of guy that is unable to carry the team on his back - he'll need everything else to go right for him to succeed. 

Stafford finds creative ways to overthrow Megatron.  He's mostly terrible, and has been his whole career.  Flacco's reputation is lifted by that great postseason run but he's a really sh*tty regular season QB.  Smith is too ultra-conservative to ever live up to his paycheck.  Not sure what to think about Foles.  Also forgot to add Dalton into that range of QB's.  I think Fitzpatrick belongs in this type of company.  Flawed but acceptable.

I must have missed Tebow winning any road playoff games and doing so in multiple playoff seasons so yeah 1 home playoff win in the WC rd is fluky.

comp % is incredibly overrated.  look at Ryan tannehill for evidence of that.

his D played a great game that day, that doesn't take away from what a rookie did for us in that spot to help us win.

at no point did I give Mark all the credit, we won w/ D first but even great Ds(which we never had) need quality QB play and Mark gave that to us but typical fans that only look at stat sheets would never know this.

The NFL is starving for good quarterbacks.  Why is Mark Sanchez riding the bench...again.  Odd.

Stafford finds creative ways to overthrow Megatron.  He's mostly terrible, and has been his whole career.  Flacco's reputation is lifted by that great postseason run but he's a really sh*tty regular season QB.  Smith is too ultra-conservative to ever live up to his paycheck.  Not sure what to think about Foles.  Also forgot to add Dalton into that range of QB's.  I think Fitzpatrick belongs in this type of company.  Flawed but acceptable.

all true but all are still better than Fitz.

I hear ya, I don't love those other guys either - but when I look at those guys (except maybe Foles - who I see most like Fitz) I see guys that can make things happen - that they can  take over a game.  Yes, they have bad games, like just about everyone else, but they are also capable of carrying their team.

I just don't see Fitz having the skill set to do that.  

Not a fan of Gary Myers - nor did I hear the interview - but if I'm basing it on the highlighted quote.  He's right.  That's exactly what the Jets are right now.  A top 10 defense with a bottom 10 QB...

He said "pretty good defense".  That's wrong.  It's a VERY good defense.

More delusional and unbelievable with each post

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

yes, QBs accidentally help their teams win 4 road playoff games over multiple seasons all the time.  we must have had a team full of HOfers to carry such a terrible QB

all true but all are still better than Fitz.

Maybe.  But we're not the ones investing tons of money in guys like that, so their fans naturally shouldn't be happy with them.  Stafford counts over $17M against the cap this year, and it only goes up from there. Alex Smith nearly $16M.  Flacco nearly $15M, and next year it shoots up to $29M (which they will undoubtedly need to re-structure somehow).  All basically average QB's whose salaries are the highest or 2nd-highest on their respective teams.

I'm more than OK with a Dalton-esque stop-gap.  Better than throwing the worst starting QB in the NFL out there.

Maybe.  But we're not the ones investing tons of money in guys like that, so their fans naturally shouldn't be happy with them.  Stafford counts over $17M against the cap this year, and it only goes up from there. Alex Smith nearly $16M.  Flacco nearly $15M, and next year it shoots up to $29M (which they will undoubtedly need to re-structure somehow).  All basically average QB's whose salaries are the highest or 2nd-highest on their respective teams.

I'm more than OK with a Dalton-esque stop-gap.  Better than throwing the worst starting QB in the NFL out there.

I am fine w/ Fitz as a stopgap, I hope Petty is the longterm answer but who knows?  we need a less expensive QB w/ the money we are paying the talent around him.

I hear ya, I don't love those other guys either - but when I look at those guys (except maybe Foles - who I see most like Fitz) I see guys that can make things happen - that they can  take over a game.  Yes, they have bad games, like just about everyone else, but they are also capable of carrying their team.

I just don't see Fitz having the skill set to do that.  

I hear ya.  Their ceilings are definitely higher.  Flacco for sure proved that with his 11 TD, 0 INT playoff run.  But Fitz has a high floor too, higher than some of those guys.  There's value to that.  I doubt I'd want to invest in Fitz BEYOND this season, but for right now, it's what this team needs so we can properly evaluate this team going forward.

it's a good defense, I wouldn't go as far as to call it VERY good quite yet.  It can be VERY good, has the talent and potential to be great.  But two games in, I'm not yet prepared to call them VERY good.

We've always either had a good defensive line or a good secondary...never both.  We now have both and it's showing with all of the turnovers being generated.  Defensive line is causing rushed/hit throws...secondary is picking them off.  It's ******* beautiful.  It's like being told your whole life that the crap you see in TJ MAXX is art and then seeing the statue of David for the first time.  I have zero problems saying this is a very good defense right now.  This is something we have never seen in the last decade.

I am realistic about Mark.  The delusion comes from those that continually bash him.

Take a look at a couple of the recent all time bust QB's Harrington and David Carr

Harrington in Det had about the same comp % as Sanchez, close to the same rating and fewer ints per year.

Carr had a 60% comp avg in houston, (better by 5% than 'Mark'), a better avg passer rating and fewer ints.

Sanchez playing on much much much much better teams had historically bad comp% and turned the ball over more than a couple of the big epic bust Qbs people like to talk about. 

Sanchez played on two vet excellent teams with good defenses, good olines and good running games and the team excelled for a couple of years, despite his low comp % and penchant for turning it over.  The very moment the team felt he needed to take a step and drive the offense he flat on his ass, or Brandon Moores ass to be more accurate.

he chose to go back to Philly where he will be playing again soon.  Mark is better than half the QBs in the league.

Volunteered to be a back-up...the offers must have been pouring in to start elsewhere.

I hear ya.  Their ceilings are definitely higher.  Flacco for sure proved that with his 11 TD, 0 INT playoff run.  But Fitz has a high floor too, higher than some of those guys.  There's value to that.  I doubt I'd want to invest in Fitz BEYOND this season, but for right now, it's what this team needs so we can properly evaluate this team going forward.

This is a very good and fair point...I don't think I give that enough credit and probably should.  

But man, it's frustrating when you see QB's get hot,  whipping the ball around the field - hitting perfect spots, throwing guys open, rolling out - hitting guys on the run etc..when we're playing QB's like that, in the "zone"  It's just so frustrating knowing we don't have a guy that's capable of hitting that level.  

Take a look at a couple of the recent all time bust QB's Harrington and David Carr

Harrington in Det had about the same comp % as Sanchez, close to the same rating and fewer ints per year.

Carr had a 60% comp avg in houston, (better by 5% than 'Mark'), a better avg passer rating and fewer ints.

Sanchez playing on much much much much better teams had historically bad comp% and turned the ball over more than a couple of the big epic bust Qbs people like to talk about. 

Sanchez played on two vet excellent teams with good defenses, good olines and good running games and the team excelled for a couple of years, despite his low comp % and penchant for turning it over.  The very moment the team felt he needed to take a step and drive the offense he flat on his ass, or Brandon Moores ass to be more accurate.

you are looking at meaningless #s, Sanchez made a million big plays for us.  sure he had some clunkers thrown in there too but he was outstanding in postseason and led a million late game comebacks. 

w/ similar talent, a weaker sched and NO Brady a future HOFer couldn't even get us to the playoffs the year before Mark.

This is a very good and fair point...I don't think I give that enough credit and probably should.  

But man, it's frustrating when you see QB's get hot,  whipping the ball around the field - hitting perfect spots, throwing guys open, rolling out - hitting guys on the run etc..when we're playing QB's like that, in the "zone"  It's just so frustrating knowing we don't have a guy that's capable of hitting that level.  

Patience, my friend.  I think this regime we have in place will find us a true franchise QB.  There's just not a whole lot of those out there at any given time. 

Volunteered to be a back-up...the offers must have been pouring in to start elsewhere.

he was in a great situation, going back to philly meant playing in the same system for the 2nd straight year for the first time since 2010 and 2011.  he got paid well to stay b/c Chip knew how valuable he was.

That's the thing...his comment and tone would have you believe the Jets defense is slightly above average "they play pretty good defense"...pretty good?  I'd disagree.

I would also disagree on that. But what I do feel about this whole thing is that it's way too soon to speculate on how the season will look like/end. The sample size is too small to draw any real conclusions other than we have a great chance of winning against Philly on Sunday.

Other than that I feel a bit irritation towards the talking heads who doesn't give us credit for our beautiful W:s thus far.

Slats made a comment that they are a good counterweight to all the pink cloud comments around here. I agree on that as well. :)

it's a good defense, I wouldn't go as far as to call it VERY good quite yet.  It can be VERY good, has the talent and potential to be great.  But two games in, I'm not yet prepared to call them VERY good.

10 turnovers, and only 17 points allowed. One opponent has one of the league's better QBs. 

Two games is a small sample size, but give credit where it is due: they're playing extremely well so far. 

you see everything as black and white.  Fitz has had numerous chances to at least help a team into playoff contention and has never done so.  Tebow had a fluky run where 8-8 won a division.

you see 100 yds and think a QB was bad, never mind the multiple big plays he made in that game- a rookie on the road against a heavily favored SD team that was the hottest in the conf and the SB favorite.  100 yds and he sucked! never mind we got a double digit lead and tried to run out the clock.  everything is black and white, every game the same when you look only at a stat sheet.

Wait, what?

We didn't get a double digit lead until halfway through the 4th quarter after a 53 yard TD run by Greene. We tried to run out the clock because it was the right thing to do at that stage. It ate up a pair of Chargers timeouts.  The drive after that we didn't "try" to run out the clock. We did run out the clock.

In the whole game was literally ONE drive where we tried to run out the clock, with a double digit lead, by taking the ball completely out of Sanchez's hands.

And given his accuracy that game, and given the game's result, it would have been stupid to do otherwise.

What were we supposed to do with a 10 point lead and 4 minutes left to play? Have Sanchez throwing it all over the field? He was misfiring on half of his passes and already threw a pick that half. Meanwhile our RBs had like 170 yards on the ground at that point.

Ryan and Schottenheimer were certainly no offensive geniuses, but with a late 10 point lead they sure got that one right. 

I would also disagree on that. But what I do feel about this whole thing is that it's way too soon to speculate on how the season will look like/end. The sample size is too small to draw any real conclusions other than we have a great chance of winning against Philly on Sunday.

Other than that I feel a bit irritation towards the talking heads who doesn't give us credit for our beautiful W:s thus far.

Slats made a comment that they are a good counterweight to all the pink cloud comments around here. I agree on that as well. :)

You're right about sample size and things could fall apart.  Hell, they could go on to get blown out every week for the rest of the season, but when the blueprint for a team is so blatantly obvious (dominate on D, efficient on offense) and it plays out exactly as planned through the first two weeks, people are going to get 100% behind it and belive it.  If they'd won these games 27-24 or somewhere in that range, you'd be more likely to be skeptical because things wouldn't be going as we'd all hoped/expected. 

he was in a great situation, going back to philly meant playing in the same system for the 2nd straight year for the first time since 2010 and 2011.  he got paid well to stay b/c Chip knew how valuable he was.

Volunteered to not start in the NFL?  Not sure I want a QB who goes to a place where he might hopefully get on the field as opposed to signing with any of the other 29 teams who were begging him to come play and start for them.

Wait, what?

We didn't get a double digit lead until halfway through the 4th quarter. We tried to run out the clock because it was the right thing to do at that stage. It ate up a pair of Chargers timeouts.  The drive after that we didn't "try" to run out the clock. We did run out the clock.

In the whole game was literally ONE drive where we tried to run out the clock, with a double digit lead, by taking the ball completely out of Sanchez's hands.

And given his accuracy that game, and given the game's result, it would have been stupid to do otherwise.

What were we supposed to do with a 10 point lead and 4 minutes left to play? Have Sanchez throwing it all over the field? He was misfiring on half of his passes and already threw a pick that half.

Ryan and Schottenheimer were certainly no offensive geniuses, but with a late 10 point lead they sure got that one right. 

Dude, missing on  half of his passes is another meaningless stat that you're buying in to as an average fan who only really knows fantasy football.

Myers is promoting a book so if he's on a Philly station he's going to troll the Jets. Just like he would troll the Bills if he was interviewed in Miami or the Pats if he was interviewed in Jax.  Total shill...

it's deeper than that he's a bigtime  New England Cheerleader

Wait, what?

We didn't get a double digit lead until halfway through the 4th quarter after a 53 yard TD run by Greene. We tried to run out the clock because it was the right thing to do at that stage. It ate up a pair of Chargers timeouts.  The drive after that we didn't "try" to run out the clock. We did run out the clock.

What were we supposed to do with a 10 point lead and 4 minutes left to play? Have Sanchez throwing it all over the field? He was misfiring on half of his passes and already threw a pick that half. Meanwhile our RBs had like 170 yards on the ground at that point.

Mark's last pass was the 3rd down conversion before the Greene TD run.  at that same time Rivers only had 6 more pass attempts, Rivers would end up w/ 17 more pass attempts.  we had a lead and we trying to run the clock out or he throws for more yards and impresses fans that just look at out of context stats.

Archived