It's only Gary Myers so it shouldn't bother me but it did

AFJF

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah it was Mangini's D not the awful O led by favre.  Mangini's D gave us our only win by SCORING a TD in the final mins to beat a bad Buffalo team or we don't have the one lonely win in dec to keep playoff hopes alive.

Again, you clearly didn't watch the games or you're just too young to remember.  Offenses ran roughshod over Mangini's defense down the stretch.  In six of their final seven games the Jets gave up 100 yards or more on the ground while Mangini kept having Favre throw ducks all over the place.

it sucks being a Jet fan associated w/ folks that cannot appreciated those that have helped our team.

Your posts entirely lack any mention of our stout oline, our excellent defense and often no mention of our run game in all of the Sanchez love fests.  You talk about appreciating those that have helped our team and yet you totally focus on a few parts that were carried along to greater heights than they ever deserved.

Your posts entirely lack any mention of our stout oline, our excellent defense and often no mention of our run game in all of the Sanchez love fests.  You talk about appreciating those that have helped our team and yet you totally focus on a few parts that were carried along to greater heights than they ever deserved.

Those dudes were just along for the magical ride Sanchez took them on.  I hope they appreciate what he did for them.

Maybe this is what comes of the whole Fantasy Football thing. Fans become 'PLAYER" fans instead of "team' fans. Me? I am a Jets TEAM fan and any player that is no longer on the team and playing for another team at the moment can kiss my Italian azz I don't care if that guy was the team's MVP if he's wearing an opponent's jersey I hate him. Maybe after he retires, I'll be able to look back fondly again (like my Keyshawn thread) but had you seen what we were saying about him before and after the "Flashlight" game back in 2000...you would understand. 

I even remember seeing my boyhood idol Joe Willie Namath on CBS playing for the LA Rams and I changed the channel and couldn't care less. I had no feelings whatsoever about Joe at that moment-none-all I said was good riddance Joe, you're washed up anyhow and since you ain't a Jet anymore...see ya

Again, you clearly didn't watch the games or you're just too young to remember.  Offenses ran roughshod over Mangini's defense down the stretch.  In six of their final seven games the Jets gave up 100 yards or more on the ground while Mangini kept having Favre throw ducks all over the place.

Know what the D averaged allowing? 20.2, in our 6 playoff games the next 2 years our D allowed an average of 18.7.  we went 4-2 in those playoff games all on the road, we were 1-4 in the '08 games w/ 3 of them at home and the lone win b/c Buffalo fumbled the ball running out the clock and we returned it for a TD.

I must have missed the posts where I said mark carried us to 2 title games and no one else contributed.

Most of us are Jets fans who want to see our team do well. One of us is a Mark fan who roots for Mark to do well and will cheer for Mark even if he is playing Sunday for the Jets opponent on the field of play.

Pathetic

the pathetic ones are the ones who trash every ex player and have no appreciation for guys that helped our team win.  I want to beat Philly 50-0 whether Mark plays or not but no matter what happens I will always appreciate how he helped my team.

your love of butftfumble is beyond odd. There's a reason he's not starting for any nfl team. Sanchez ****in sucks

I have a love of reality.  I don't care what he does in Philly(though he was really good last year), I care that he helped get my team closer to a SB than anyone else since we needed one home win to make it in 1968.

You're right about sample size and things could fall apart.  Hell, they could go on to get blown out every week for the rest of the season, but when the blueprint for a team is so blatantly obvious (dominate on D, efficient on offense) and it plays out exactly as planned through the first two weeks, people are going to get 100% behind it and belive it.  If they'd won these games 27-24 or somewhere in that range, you'd be more likely to be skeptical because things wouldn't be going as we'd all hoped/expected. 

Hey, all for enthusiasm. Just add a little perspective to it. :)

Have a great weekend and let's discuss further when we have more material. Now off to my brothers 40 years party. 

Listening to Philly radio on the drive in this morning and they played a clip of an interview they did with Myers.  They asked him if the Jets were for real and his response was that they're "an ordinary team that plays pretty good defense" and then continued "Let's be serious here, they have Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback".

The guy is a joke and I don't usually care about what he says, but I think it bothered me because he took the time to trash the Jets on a Philly station. 

Knowing how much these particular hosts hate Sanchez, I called in to remind them that this defense is better than the one Sanchez took to the AFCCG and that Ryan Fitzpatrick is better than Sanchez by every statistical measure so this team is not currently being overrated IMO.

makes no sense:  do ordinary teams play pretty good defense?

Mark's last pass was the 3rd down conversion before the Greene TD run.  at that same time Rivers only had 6 more pass attempts, Rivers would end up w/ 17 more pass attempts.  we had a lead and we trying to run the clock out or he throws for more yards and impresses fans that just look at out of context stats.

Pfffft. A single completed pass is therefore worth 7 points? Just stop. We were still in Jets territory after that pass. He also completed a pass before throwing a pick. Does that mean all his completions would lead to picks if we let him throw it again?

The number of attempts Rivers had is irrelevant. However he did on that day, he's simply a better QB, and a superstar always gets a benefit of the doubt a scrub doesn't get. 

We won precisely because Sanchez's attempts were limited. Even Sanchez knows that and would admit so if he was tied up by Wonder Woman's golden lariat. More pass attempts that game would have meant more turnovers and more damage, not more points. 

Why couldn't we win with Favre?  Mangini's defense got manhandled down the stretch, couldn't stop the run to save their lives, and Favre's arm was shot.  Did you seriously not know that?  Sounds like you're the one who didn't watch the games.

Favre injured a bicep tendon, didn;t he?  His throwing really fell off.

makes no sense:  do ordinary teams play pretty good defense?

I honestly think he's one of those guys who has been around for so long that he's just kicking back and hammering checks without really paying attention to what's going on in the sports world.  Somebody asks  him a question and he just spits out a generic answer that shows he's misinformed and uninterested.

It was atrocious...he couldn't throw the ball and the defense couldn't stop the run.  I think they still had his pass attempts in the high 30's/low 40's in the season finale.

Pfffft. A single completed pass is therefore worth 7 points? Just stop. We were still in Jets territory after that pass. He also completed a pass before throwing a pick. Does that mean all his completions would lead to picks if we let him throw it again?

The number of attempts Rivers had is irrelevant. However he did on that day, he's simply a better QB, and a superstar always gets a benefit of the doubt a scrub doesn't get. 

We won precisely because Sanchez's attempts were limited. Even Sanchez knows that and would admit so if he was tied up by Wonder Woman's golden lariat. More pass attempts that game would have meant more turnovers and more damage, not more points. 

if we don't convert that 3rd down the Greene run doesn't happen.  not every big play is a TD or some long pass play.  there are subtle big plays such as that one and one earlier which set up the punt that we downed inside the 5 leading to Rivers' awful INT that set up our 1st TD.

The best QB on the field that day was mark sanchez.  Rivers made the big mistakes, rookie Mark did not.

that was an excuse, the iron man played through any pain.  he made his career on playing through pain, his arm may have been diminished(as most QBs arms are in dec) but it was more than good enough.  his decision making killed us as it had most of that season.

I honestly think he's one of those guys who has been around for so long that he's just kicking back and hammering checks without really paying attention to what's going on in the sports world.  Somebody asks  him a question and he just spits out a generic answer that shows he's misinformed and uninterested.

and by having jumped on the Patriots bandwagon (even though they were beaten by his beloved Giants); LAZY

I have a love of reality.  I don't care what he does in Philly(though he was really good last year), I care that he helped get my team closer to a SB than anyone else since we needed one home win to make it in 1968.

we were alot closer in 1998. We were leading and had a better qb

Listening to Philly radio on the drive in this morning and they played a clip of an interview they did with Myers.  They asked him if the Jets were for real and his response was that they're "an ordinary team that plays pretty good defense" and then continued "Let's be serious here, they have Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback".

The guy is a joke and I don't usually care about what he says, but I think it bothered me because he took the time to trash the Jets on a Philly station. 

Knowing how much these particular hosts hate Sanchez, I called in to remind them that this defense is better than the one Sanchez took to the AFCCG and that Ryan Fitzpatrick is better than Sanchez by every statistical measure so this team is not currently being overrated IMO.

I think we discussed when we tailgated..Gary was, is and always will be both friends w/Mara Clan and in their pocket. I heard he actually writes articles sometimes at the Mara's request, especially if Jets 'getting too much attention'

I think we discussed when we tailgated..Gary was, is and always will be both friends w/Mara Clan and in their pocket. I heard he actually writes articles sometimes at the Mara's request, especially if Jets 'getting too much attention'

Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I know its small sample size, but Fitzpatrick is currently 11th in QBR and 8th in DVOA.  Last year he was 22nd and 13th in those 2 categories, respectively.  That's not a bottom 10 QB.  He's better than Cousins, Tyrod, Claussen, Carr/McGloin, Bortles, Hoyer/Mallett, Manziel/McCown, Foles, Weeden, Bradford, and at this moment Winston.  And currently fans of the Chiefs, Lions, Vikings and Ravens can't be too pleased with the play of Alex Smith, Stafford, Bridgewater or Flacco right now either.

You can do a lot better than Fitzpatrick for sure.  But you can also do a lot worse. 

Are you kidding me - you first list just shows how bad depth is at the QB position today. Plus even some of those I'd take over Fitz ( Bradford, Carr, Bortles)

And that 2nd list would easily relegate Fitz to the bench, even mentioning his name in the same conversation with Stafford, Bridgewater & Flacco is  laugh worthy.

Stafford finds creative ways to overthrow Megatron.  He's mostly terrible, and has been his whole career.  Flacco's reputation is lifted by that great postseason run but he's a really sh*tty regular season QB.  Smith is too ultra-conservative to ever live up to his paycheck.  Not sure what to think about Foles.  Also forgot to add Dalton into that range of QB's.  I think Fitzpatrick belongs in this type of company.  Flawed but acceptable.

You are delusional.

Picking teams on your block.  Only two guys left are Gary Myers and John Clayton.  Who do you pick?

Clayton can ball. You don't believe me? You think I'm trying to make it up? You think I'd try to pass a story off because I'm involved? Then challenge Clayton to a game of ball one on one. CHALLENGE HIM! Alight? And make sure your peoples is there to see the game. Because you might get embarrassed. Trust me.

Archived