Fitz Just Not Good Enough

JohnnyLV

First of all, let me say that Fitz played very well today. His competitiveness is infectious and he is leaving nothing out on the field he is using every little bit of talent he has. His teammates love him and respond to him. he is smart, well controlled and he deserves kudos for the effort he put in today. He did everything he could. Looking at his record against NE maybe one of his best efforts.

But his best is just not good enough to get this team where it needs to go.

He is just too limited. In a lot of ways it is very similar to the situation the 49ers had. Alex Smith was the ultimate game manager. He did not turn the ball over. He was smart, fairly accurate and a much better runner than Fitz. But he could not get the 49ers where they needed to go and went to Kapernick (who is now failing for completely different reasons)

Put frankly, Fitz is not dynamic enough for the opposition to really need to account for him. Not only can he not open up the game downfield. he is not really able to consistently press it in the mid range either. On drives, since all he can do is controlled offense, he has to essentially play perfect, converting lots of 3rd downs and having long multi play scores. Quick strikes are off the table with Fitz as is the play action for the most part. 

He is incapable of letting his offense dictate to the opposing defense. He is forced to take what they give him. As we say today. if they stack the box and double Marshall, he has very little and is not capable of making the plays needed to get the opposition out of that by stretching the field, or being effective with play action.

What this means is we have very limited ways to win a game. Essentially we have to have the defense play lights out. get turnovers and use field position to make scores. This is the only way Fitz will win.

Fitz will not:

1. Comeback when we are behind. He literally has zero fourth quarter comebacks since 2012. Zero

2. Consistently run a two minute offense. We did not even TRY today

3. Consistently run a four minute offense

4. Give us quick scores

5. Be effective with play action

6.Dictate to an opposing defense

No, Fitz is essentially a less talented Alex Smith and Alex Smith does not win you game either.

It is just not good enough. Great guy, great teammate. Great mentor, Just not good enough for this team to win.

Today showed that.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pats had 10 drops today, incuding an Edelman TD, so I don't hold the Marshall drop against him. If the Pats didn't have so many drops they score more than 30 and we still lose even if Marshall makes the catch. The Pats shut down the run knowing Fitz can't beat them through the air.

Fitz played more than well enough to win.  If you would have given me his stat line before the game, I would take it every single time.  At the end of the day, the teams money and strength lies in their secondary and dline.  If they don't produce and limit teams to under 20 points a game, the Jets won't win.  Especially against an elite team.

Wow. You guys almost made it 4 hours before starting a fitz sucks thread.  Nice going. AND you are clueless. 

We did not lose because of fitz.  We lost for 3 reasons

1. Really poor punting. 

2. Marshall dropping a TD pass. 

3.  3rd and 17.

And those things mattered because even at his best he cannot put up points and give us quick scores.

I mean for ffs, Fitz had single coverage on Decker. Owusu, Kerley and Smith ALL DAY and he was not capable of taking advantage of it Keeping us close is useless, with a good QB we could flat beat their ass not take useless solace in being close in the game. 

Wow. You guys almost made it 4 hours before starting a fitz sucks thread.  Nice going. AND you are clueless. 

We did not lose because of fitz.  We lost for 3 reasons

1. Really poor punting. 

2. Marshall dropping a TD pass. 

3.  3rd and 17.

fitz fumbling in jets territory wasn't his fault? fitz also had a few passes that should have been INT's, not to mention the many weakly thrown balls batted up at the line of scrimmage. it looked like a volleyball game at times

This may be in the running for the dumbest post of the year. 

The defense gave up a 3rd and 17

brandon dropped a TD pass that hit him in the freaking hands

we had a fourth quarter lead

we couldn't run the ball

but yet you choose to blame fitz.  Well that in a nutshell explains you're knowledge of the game.  Great post. 

Play action only works when the run is a threat. 

He's a stop gap. He's our QB until we somehow find a better one. No one thinks he's capable of winning a Super Bowl. 

Then why bother? We likely make the playoffs this year because we are very talented outside of QB and the way they AFC is separated already with the haves and have nots is pretty unprecedented.  But if you have no chance to compete who cares? I would rather see Petty out there or Geno both of whom can actually make plays.

And those things mattered because even at his best he cannot put up points and give us quick scores.

I mean for ffs, Fitz had single coverage on Decker. Owusu, Kerley and Smith ALL DAY and he was not capable of taking advantage of it Keeping us close is useless, with a good QB we could flat beat their ass not take useless solace in being close in the game. 

bowles addressed this in his postgame comments:

The Jets did that rather than try a Hail Mary for the 49 because Fitzpatrick "wouldn't have [thrown] it that far had we stayed where we were"—an acknowledgement of Fitzpatrick's limited ability to throw deep.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/brandon_marshall_takes_blame_for_2_huge_mistakes_i.html

Then why bother? We likely make the playoffs this year because we are very talented outside of QB and the way they AFC is separated already with the haves and have nots is pretty unprecedented.  But if you have no chance to compete who cares? I would rather see Petty out there or Geno both of whom can actually make plays.

Then why are you here? STFU

we couldn't run the ball

but yet you choose to blame fitz.  Well that in a nutshell explains you're knowledge of the game.  Great post. 

We did not lose because of Fitz. I never said that. But he is too limited to lead us to victory against the Patriots and we could have been in a situation where the 3rd and 17 and the Marshall drop did not matter with a dynamic QB that could actually get them to not load 8 in the f-ing box.

And Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer both won Super Bowls.  Nuff said. 

Two Super Bowls in ALL of history and both were better than Fitz. Dilfer only needed the best defense ever by the way. It is a terrible terrible argument. How many Super Bowls have been won by DYNAMIC QBs. The REST of them, so 48-2, so a 4% complete anomaly is your argument to continue with an exceedingly limited QB? Dumb, just dumb.

We were up in the 4 th qtr The fumble on the second play meant nothing at that point. All qbs get balls batted at the line. He also threw a couple of lasers. 

the fumble on the play cost us 3 points and a valuable possession, idk what you're talking about unless you're trying to give fitz a free pass for poor play

we couldn't run the ball

1. We couldn't run the ball because the Pats went all out to stop us from doing so. They forced Fitz into throwing because they know he can't beat them through the air.

2. The Pats had 10 drops today, including a TD. That's an unusual amount of drops and if the number were readjusted to normality (i.e. Lafell's dropsies), the Pats score more than 30 points and we still lose regardless of BMarsh's drop.

3. The defense played very well overall and kept Brady and tow in check for large periods of the game. I'm not sure they could have done any better. The QB ultimately has to win the game when he has the weapons and is given the opportunity to do so.

4. The Pats had very little pass rush against our offensive line and Fitz missed another TD to Devin today. That should nullify BMarsh's drop.

We don't have a dynamic qb.  Duh.  It's Fitz and that's it.  You wanna blame fitz but he had nothing to do with the loss.thats just a. clueless post.  Oh no wait you are right, we are all wrong.  3rd and freakin 17, not 2...17! But you blame fitz......stop with the bullsh*t.  Geno sucks, fitz is it for this year.  

You post is dumb today.  You watched the game with genos family I'll guess.  Geno apologists have no room to bitch today.  That loser will never see the field  this year. Fitz played well enough to win period.

it's funny how a poster who is making excuses for fitzpatrick's play is calling others apologists

we couldn't run the ball

exactly.  Fitz played a real good game today.

For all the bitching if some of these happen...Marshall catches the ball for a TD, the D holds on 3rd and 18, Ivory doesn't tweet a hammy, the Jets win the game.  He had his team leading in the 4th.

But he's not good enough?  

the fumble on the play cost us 3 points and a valuable possession, idk what you're talking about unless you're trying to give fitz a free pass for poor play

if Geno played last year llike fitz played today we would have been in the playoff instead of the basement. Please buy a vowel. 

exactly.  Fitz played a real good game today.

For all the bitching if some of these happen...Marshall catches the ball for a TD, the D holds on 3rd and 18, Ivory doesn't tweet a hammy, the Jets win the game.  He had his team leading in the 4th.

But he's not good enough?  

If Marshall catches the TD and Lafell doesn't drop half his passes, or Edelman doesn't drop his TD, we still lose. There were drops on both sides. You can't blame a drop for losing a game when your opponents had more drops, including a TD themselves. As for 3rd and 18, Brady made a big play. It happens. Our defense played well overall. Ivory looked fine and said he'll be ready for Wednesday practice.

What most of you are missing..and I believe the OP's point is that while Fitz played well for Fitz today...

It's simply not enough to beat Tom Brady.

Yes, Fitz wasn't the reason we lost, but sometime your QB needs to be the reason you win.  Fitz isn't ever going to be the reason you win.

You post is dumb today.  You watched the game with genos family I'll guess.  Geno apologists have no room to bitch today.  That loser will never see the field  this year. Fitz played well enough to win period.

He did NOT play well enough for us to win, and the point is that Fitz played really well today and it is just not good enough. He has no ceiling. No ability to make plays. Just because he is somewhat decent means jack.

What most of you are missing..and I believe the OP's point is that while Fitz played well for Fitz today...

Yes, Fitz wasn't the reason we lost, but sometime your QB needs to be the reason you win.  Fitz isn't ever going to be the reason you win.

bullsh*t

he's a front-running game manager, so we're screwed if the team is playing from behind. if we're down one score with under 2 minutes the game is over

Exactly. We saw Fitz' ceiling today

Archived