Thoughts on Jets tempo on offense?

AFJF

Just wondering how everyone feels about the offense showing a lack of  urgency against the Raiders a week after the Jets sat on the ball in NE with 2:00 left in the half. 

Both surprising and can't think of a good reason as to why they were so laid back in both instances.

Playing not to lose against NE?

Why eat up so much clock against Oak with so much ground to make up?

Very odd IMO.

I wasn't happy with it at all. The offense needs to have more urgency. We should have been in a pseudo hurry up for the entire 2nd half. Jack Del Rio is an idiot & kept throwing the ball. If Marshall catches that TD we would have been down 1 score. Look what happened last night, I went to bed at 26-13 & it went to overtime? Holy sh*t, anyone that watched the first 3 quarters, that game for all intents & purposes was over, but if you never give up crazy sh*t can happen.

Just wondering how everyone feels about the offense showing a lack of  urgency against the Raiders a week after the Jets sat on the ball in NE with 2:00 left in the half. 

Both surprising and can't think of a good reason as to why they were so laid back in both instances.

Very odd IMO.

It's the most mind boggling thing going on with this team.  They're lack of urgency is insane.  Between Sunday's lethargic approach and taking a knee with 2 minutes left at the end of the 2nd half in the NE game.  Zach Stacy lining up in the slot reminiscent of TRich rolling out wide.  The toss up, deep throws on 3rd and short. The treatment of Kerley. The inability to get the TE's involved in the passing game.  The lack of ingenuity.  The scripted play calling.  I'm truly starting to question WTF Chan Gailey provides to this team.  

I've literally never seen anything like the way they approach the game while trailing.  I posted this in another thread:

It's even down to the little details.  Like running the ball, down 2 scores.  I get it.  I understand trying to pick up a 2nd and short on the ground and maybe you get lucky and bounce one. However, if that's your philosophy, that play should be run in 12-15seconds flat.  There is no need for a huddle, a slow approach to the LOS, a long cadence and then the snap running off 30+ seconds.  It should be a quick signal, fly to the LOS and snap the ball.  And assuming you come up short, you should have your favorite 3rd and short play already dialed up and ready to go.  

Guy no shows meetings and then comes up with lousiest excuse ever. Was at movie. Which movie, Geno? (Drool). What about forgetting to set watch would make you three hours early, not late? (Blank stare). Don't all cell phones automatically update time anyway? (Grimace). Did the movie theatre in San Diego post show times in East Coast time? Seems you were able to make the movie on time, Geno. (Crickets).

not a guy who understands urgency.

Guy no shows meetings and then comes up with lousiest excuse ever. Was at movie. Which movie, Geno? (Drool). What about forgetting to set watch would make you three hours early, not late? (Blank stare). Don't all cell phones automatically update time anyway? (Grimace). Did the movie theatre in San Diego post show times in East Coast time? Seems you were able to make the movie on time, Geno. (Crickets).

It happened in the Eagles game and the Pats game.  This is a coaching thing.  100% 

very strange indeed. not just the offense but all areas seem to lack urgency at point.  jet lag? or maybe sheldons been hooking up the team with that good good

actually jet lag shouldnt be an exuse, cause it happend against philly and new england as well.  someone needs to step up and light a fire under their asses, weather it be a coach or player

Another reason why we'll never compete with New England. I've seen zero ingenuity from this staff: 

The hope (for me at least) is that that's something that can be learned (see Ron Rivera). That's not to say it will be learned (see every Jets coach of the last decade-plus), but coaches, like players, don't arrive as finished products. Or so I keep telling myself.

The hope (for me at least) is that that's something that can be learned (see Ron Rivera). That's not to say it will be learned (see every Jets coach of the last decade-plus), but coaches, like players, don't arrive as finished products. Or so I keep telling myself.

Hopefully he gets a weekly call from Arians. I'm starting to wonder if Bowles even recognizes the offense is taking their sweet ass time. That was the Hermiest game in a long time- legit chance to make a comeback against a weak defense and the Jets decide to dilly dally (and punt.)

Geno Blah, blah, blah, Geno Blah, blah, blah......   You do realize that this lack of urgency on offense has been going on all year right? 

Geno Blah, blah, blah, Geno Blah, blah, blah......   You do realize that this lack of urgency on offense has been going on all year right? 

Sure I realize that turning to a mental midget is not a solid plan to fix a strategic deficiency. The crappiest OC in the world wouldn't be able to strip the urgency from a Brady or Manning with the game on the line, no matter how poor the OC was.

Geno has zippo game awareness but it's the OC's fault because he isn't yelling into the headset to a PROFESSIONAL QUARTERBACK WITH 30+ GAMES STARTED ("GENO FYI THOSE BIG NUMBERS FLASHING EVERYWHERE MEANS TIME RUNNING OUT HURRY!").

The guy sucks, face it. Doesn't mean other people don't also suck but come on enough excuses. Geno lovers:

http://sock-doc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/contortionist.jpg

Bowles has seemed to get more conservative each week.

If I was going to be brutally honest, I am growing tired of watching Jets teams coached by super conservative defensive minded coaches that want to force a run firs, stop the run, play good defense,  boring offense philosophy that has been outdated for 20 years. 

Tired of JAG weak armed QBs, and a team without speed or youth. Tired of defensive lines that can stop the run but suck against the pass/

I thought Bowles might be different because of his experience with Arians and be progressive and aggressive but he is just as boring and conservative as the last 4 coaches or so.

I know some like the philosophy but it is not the way to play in the NFL. Seattle is deceptive, because Russell Wilson makes so many plays it somewhat covers up their stupid philosophy on offense and they could afford an elite defense that they drafted well because of Wilson's contract. They are not the team to try and copy at all.

On offense we need youth, speed, faster tempo, more than a JAG at QB and the ability to stretch the field and dictate how we are defensed. We can do none of these things.

And as Bowles goes more and more conservative we get worse and worse on both sides and his lack of attention to special teams is troubling.

I do not feel good about the direction we are going with this team as it is going down the same dead end road.

The punting last week was puzzling. When your team is discombobulated sometimes you have to take some chances. Down 14 with 3 minutes left when we lined up to punt I couldn't believe it. I felt like the rest of you, my first thought was uh oh here we go again with the conservative BS. I'm telling you, Del Rio gave us chances at the end of that game because he's one of the worst coaches in the league. Jets get that game within 1 score & Raiders tighten up you never know. 

I felt like Bowles literally gave up & white flagged that game. Not a good sign, I want a coach that goes down swinging. Let's hope he's learning something from this & he needs to lean on his mentor a bit. Arians is the real deal, the guy can coach.

Very odd IMO.

I didnt see a problem with the tempo overall or the urgency. Both of those games you referred to the running game was non-existent. This is a running football team. Look at our three losses, then look at what our rushing attack produced in those games. 

Sure I realize that turning to a mental midget is not a solid plan to fix a strategic deficiency. The crappiest OC in the world wouldn't be able to strip the urgency from a Brady or Manning with the game on the line, no matter how poor the OC was.

Geno has zippo game awareness but it's the OC's fault because he isn't yelling into the headset to a PROFESSIONAL QUARTERBACK WITH 30+ GAMES STARTED ("GENO FYI THOSE BIG NUMBERS FLASHING EVERYWHERE MEANS TIME RUNNING OUT HURRY!").

The guy sucks, face it. Doesn't mean other people don't also suck but come on enough excuses. Geno lovers:

http://sock-doc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/contortionist.jpg

The conversation was not about Geno but since he is an easy target you decided to go there.  Well he won't be starting this week so thank GOD we can move on stop obsessing over the guy.  

I honestly did feel that the decision to punt was based on Geno being in there.  At that point, I was leaning on the fact that he hadn't practiced that much and had looked sh*tty.  I thought Bowles was giving up, but with Geno just taking a mind numbing sack, he may have felt the team wasn't ready and it would be unfair to stick them with a 4th and 7, giving the Raiders the ball at the 20.  OTOH, if I were Geno I would not have taken that sack and I would have pitched a fit at the punt. I would have been pleading for a chance to go for it.  Of course it was his fault it was 4th and 10 and not 4th and 2.  The rest of the tempo stuff is basically defensive team trying to impose the running game stuff.  Sure it's frustrating, but it is par for the course. 

My thoughts: a team with this many new faces, veteran or not, doesn't develop the chemistry, reaction time and anticipation to hum on offense like some teams can in half a season.

It would be nice to be able to run a great hurry up offense, but not if it's outside the comfort zone for all involved. All that'll lead to is turnovers and mistakes.

The conversation was not about Geno but since he is an easy target you decided to go there.  Well he won't be starting this week so thank GOD we can move on stop obsessing over the guy.  

I decided to go there because I decided to go there because I decided it would be interesting to talk about by going there.

And I may choose to obsess over whomever I wish. Better to be obsessed with a Jets player than to be obsessed with people obsessing over a Jets player on a internet messageboard, no?

I decided to go there because I decided to go there because I decided it would be interesting to talk about by going there.

And I may choose to obsess over whomever I wish. Better to be obsessed with a Jets player than to be obsessed with people obsessing over a Jets player on a internet messageboard, no?

Knock yourself out...

Genoids? Really Dude?  It is not that serious....  None of these guys are paying my bills.  Just wonder why Geno gets under your skin so much. 

I hate him because he sucks horribly and I like the Jets. Pretty simple.

Archived