ESPN is reporting Coughlin is out

joewilly12

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very good coach but I think the making Jax relevant part is overblown.  Jax and Carolina had HUGE advantages coming into the league that no other expansion teams had and both were in conf title games in year 2.

There is a VAST difference between having a better situation than past expansion teams and making it to the conference title game in year two or whatever,  4 playoffs and two conf title games.  He did a great job there as did dom capers.

compiled stats don't mean much especially when he will have played most of his career in this pass happy era.  he has never been on an all pro team, he has led league in INTs THREE times, has thrown 20 or more INts 3 times, 25 or more 2 times.  has only been to playoffs 1 time in last 7 seasons, has only won playoff games in 2 seasons of his career.  yes he played well in helping them win 2 SBs(though he didn't deserve either MVP award).  that was great but not HOF worthy.  he basically has one Hall worthy full season in his career, HOfers should be players that consistently played at an elite level.  he has never done that.

If he finishes top 5 in every catagory other than completions % hes a first ballot HOF QB.

Not a doubt in the world

There is a VAST difference between having a better situation than past expansion teams and making it to the conference title game in year two or whatever,  4 playoffs and two conf title games.  He did a great job there as did dom capers.

did a good job, had most talented team in AFC in late 90s and never made a SB.  it goes both ways but w/ Giants had teams that barely made playoffs and made SB runs so it balanced out.  really good coach, I don't think he is a HOFer.  doesn't mean he won't be but I a tough grader for the Hall.

very good coach but I think the making Jax relevant part is overblown.  Jax and Carolina had HUGE advantages coming into the league that no other expansion teams had and both were in conf title games in year 2.

Thats wrong.  Players or draft advantages dont automatically translate into players, wins, playoffs and playoff success.  

How about explaining this away.  His two SB runs his team was the underdog just about every step of the way.  The two SB wins are against the HC who is universally called the best HC in the NFL today.  In both of those games everyone then and today would say the Pats had the better QB and the better players.  

Coughlin and his team went 2-0 

Hopefully he just goes and enjoys his family.  He has nothing left to prove.  

He's moving back to Jax.  He loves it here.  Mansion on the ocean in Atlantic Beach.  His daughters are here.  And they have a huge charity down here that does wonders for the community called the J-Fund. 

If he finishes top 5 in every catagory other than completions % hes a first ballot HOF QB.

Not a doubt in the world

I don't believe that to be true.  this is a pass happy era, #s are inflated.

he has played 12 seasons and so far has been top 5:

pass yards: just 3 times(highest was 4th)

pass TDs: just 4 times, highest was 2nd this season where he had beckham and didn't play anywhere near as good as his #s, cost giants numerous games.

rating: never

comp %: never

the category he was top 5 the most in?  INTERCEPTIONS.  5 times top 5, led league 3 times.

he's NOT a HOFer unless he goes on a crazy run the next few years. 

Go read the initial thread that I posted Tom Coughlins house was for sale read the comments that were made then come back and ridicule me there wont be any reason to. 

I said then and I will say now, he would not retire and he did not.   You are the only one dumb enough to think that he was not fired.   

pass TDs: just 4 times, highest was 2nd this season where he had beckham and didn't play anywhere near as good as his #s, cost giants numerous games.

the category he was top 5 the most in?  INTERCEPTIONS.  5 times top 5, led league 3 times.

I think he may have exhausted his quota of crazy runs.

As I said if he's top 5 in every catagory other than completion % hes a walk in, first ballot HOF.  

No matter what stupid numbers you try to use to offset top 5 all time numbers.

Thats wrong.  Players or draft advantages dont automatically translate into players, wins, playoffs and playoff success.  

How about explaining this away.  His two SB runs his team was the underdog just about every step of the way.  The two SB wins are against the HC who is universally called the best HC in the NFL today.  In both of those games everyone then and today would say the Pats had the better QB and the better players.  

Coughlin and his team went 2-0 

Rex beat NE worse than Coughlin did in postseason and on the road but according to everyone here he sucks.

coughlin had 2 great runs where his team got hot and caught every break imaginable, that doesn't make a HOFer.  HOFers sustain greatness.  it's ok to have a down year here and there but missing the playoffs 6 of 7 years? only having playoff wins in 2 of 12 seasons w/ Giants and 4 of 20 seasons overall?  to me that's not sustained greatness and not Hall worthy.  he may make it but I don't believe he belongs.  I think he belongs w/ Shanahan and Flores as 2 time SB champs not in the HOF.

Rex beat NE worse than Coughlin did in postseason and on the road but according to everyone here he sucks.

coughlin had 2 great runs where his team got hot and caught every break imaginable, that doesn't make a HOFer.  HOFers sustain greatness.  it's ok to have a down year here and there but missing the playoffs 6 of 7 years? only having playoff wins in 2 of 12 seasons w/ Giants and 4 of 20 seasons overall?  to me that's not sustained greatness and not Hall worthy.  he may make it but I don't believe he belongs.  I think he belongs w/ Shanahan and Flores as 2 time SB champs not in the HOF.

Rex beat NE once.  Not in the SB, you don't see a difference?

Forget it, go explain to the HOF that Shula doesnt belong in the HOF because after 1973 his playoff record sucks. 

Or Parcells.  Two lucky runs.  One SB won on a easy FG that went wide right.  

Can you not see how ridiculous your argument is?  Hasnt made the playoffs in 4 years erases the SB wins.  LOL, OK

Rex beat NE once.  Not in the SB, you don't see a difference?

Forget it, go explain to the HOF that Shula doesnt belong in the HOF because after 1973 his playoff record sucks. 

Or Parcells.  Two lucky runs.  One SB won on a easy FG that went wide right.  

Can you not see how ridiculous your argument is?  Hasnt made the playoffs in 4 years erases the SB wins.  LOL, OK

Don Shula has the most wins all time, Don Shula reached 6 Super Bowls, Don Shula had TWO losing seasons in 33 years(coughlin just finished his 3rd losing season in a row), Don Shula led an undefeated team, Don Shula won back to back SBs losing 2 games total the 2 years, Don Shula. 

Yep Coughlin and Shula are exactly alike.

bill parcells took over the Giants when they had made ONE postseason in 20 years, Bill Parcells led the Giants to a DOMINANT 14-2 season in 1986 leading NYG to their FIRST SB win in the 21st SB.  he then went on the road and ended SF's 3peat bid in 1990 using a BACKUP QB(after his borderline HOF QB was hurt late in the year) and led NYg to a 13-3 record and another SB when the NFC was DOMINANT.  In 2 SB runs 5 total losses, In Coughlin's 2 SB runs he lost 6 and 7 games and only made the playoffs the last one b/c of how bad the division was. Parcells took over 3 of the biggest laughingstocks in football and won Sbs w/ one, made a SB w/ another and had the third as SB contenders.

yep, same as Coughlin

the ridiculous argument is comparing Coughlin to true all time greats like BP and Shula.

if that's the case why didn't he make them fire him and pocket the extra year's salary (unless he's got some sort of offset language in there)

he's getting paid I promise you.  this is all to save face for the Giants so they can say they didn't fire a 2 time SB winning coach.

Don Shula has the most wins all time, Don Shula reached 6 Super Bowls, Don Shula had TWO losing seasons in 33 years(coughlin just finished his 3rd losing season in a row), Don Shula led an undefeated team, Don Shula won back to back SBs losing 2 games total the 2 years, Don Shula. 

Yep Coughlin and Shula are exactly alike.

bill parcells took over the Giants when they had made ONE postseason in 20 years, Bill Parcells led the Giants to a DOMINANT 14-2 season in 1986 leading NYG to their FIRST SB win in the 21st SB.  he then went on the road and ended SF's 3peat bid in 1990 using a BACKUP QB(after his borderline HOF QB was hurt late in the year) and led NYg to a 13-3 record and another SB when the NFC was DOMINANT.  In 2 SB runs 5 total losses, In Coughlin's 2 SB runs he lost 6 and 7 games and only made the playoffs the last one b/c of how bad the division was. Parcells took over 3 of the biggest laughingstocks in football and won Sbs w/ one, made a SB w/ another and had the third as SB contenders.

yep, same as Coughlin

the ridiculous argument is comparing Coughlin to true all time greats like BP and Shula.

You really know how to beat a dead horse.

WTF does the Giants record before Parcells and more importantly George Young have to do with Parcells making the playoffs? Or who he beat in the playoffs with your overblown dramatics.  Unless you don't think winning every playoff game on the road as underdogs means nothing.  

Two SB wins, he's getting in.  We'll talk more in 5 years

You really know how to beat a dead horse.

WTF does the Giants record before Parcells and more importantly George Young have to do with Parcells making the playoffs? Or who he beat in the playoffs with your overblown dramatics.  Unless you don't think winning every playoff game on the road as underdogs means nothing.  

Two SB wins, he's getting in.  We'll talk more in 5 years

it means everything, that franchise was a complete mess when he took over.  think mid 90s jets except this went on for 20 years instead of about 10 for us.  he lifted them up from the depths.  same thing for NE and same thing for us.

he didn't win every playoff game on the road as an underdog. they hosted Atlanta and were favored in 2011 WC(thanks to that brutal division that got them in playoffs in the first place) and they lost at Philly in 2006 in playoffs as underdog.  they also lost 2 home playoff games when they were favored in 2005 and 2008.

2 SB wins, one w/ 10-6 team, one w/ 9-7 team.  in those 2 seasons they lost 13 games.  In Parcells' 2 SB titles they lost 5 games.  one was dominant, one got hot at the right time.  missing playoffs 6 of 7 years and only made 1 playoff app b/c division is awful.  that's not HOF caliber.  coughlin had TWO stretches of 4 straight years w/o playoff apps. almost half of his seasons in the league he lost more games than he won.  that's not a HOF resume.

IMO a horrible decision by the Giants.  Coughlin deserved to control his own fate after all he gave the Giants.  If he were a little younger I'd fire Bowles and hire Coughlin on the spot (if he'd go for it).  Other than Belichick (who Coughlin beat twice in the SB), I think Coughlin is the 2nd best coach in the NFL.  And he absolutely (easily) deserves to be in the HOF.

What a crock of sh*t, coughlin resigns my ass, the Classy giants asked him to step down.  They fired him.  And in reality the guy that should have been fired is Reese. I hope Tom takes the Eagles job. I hate the  Giants and their BS. 

What a crock of sh*t, coughlin resigns my ass, the Classy giants asked him to step down.  They fired him.  And in reality the guy that should have been fired is Reese. I hope Tom takes the Eagles job. I hate the  Giants and their BS. 

I hate the Giants so much

Can't wait for the PC today where he goes on and on about the class of the organization and the media buys into it when the reality is the Giants just forced a 2 time SB winning coach to resign so in reality they fired him but in order to save face they guarantee his contract for this season and he "resigns".  the Giants know how to play the PR game.  just look at what everyone is talking about, you'd think Coughlin was retiring and that he was Vince Lombardi w/ the way they are talking about him not a coach just fired for missing 6 of 7 postseasons.

coughlin missed 6 of 7 postseasons, missed playoffs 7 of 12 seasons w/ giants(despite playing in weak division)

In 20 yrs as HC missed playoffs 11 of 20 seasons(55% of the time so he made playoffs 45% of time)

2 SB titles, 2 conf titles, 5 div titles, 9 PO apps

there are 22 coaches in HOF:

compared to modern era coaches- we'll say coached a bulk of career from 1980-current:

Parcells:19 seasons, 5 div titles(3 when NFC East was best div in football, 1 w/ Jets, one of 2 AFC east titles we have in our history), 3 conf titles, 2 SB titles, 10 PO apps.  let us not forget this man rebuilt numerous teams, if he stayed in one spot he wins even more.  he's not close to BP

Marv Levy: 17 seasons, 4 conf titles, 6 div titles, 8 PO apps.  doesn't have SB titles but 2 ore conf titles makes up for that and consistently had Buf in postseason. 

Don Shula: we don't need to waste time here

Joe Gibbs: 16 seasons, 3 SB titles, 4 conf titles, 5 div titles, 10 PO apps.  not even worth discussing

Bill Walsh: 10 seasons, 4 SB titles.  next.

Chuck Noll.  next

Tom Landry: next

the only guy we can sort of compare him to is Marv Levy and marv led to more PO apps and more SB apps.  Coughlin is a borderline candidate and they tend to let many guys in who shouldn't get in so he'll have a good shot but I don't believe he belongs.

Archived