ESPN is reporting Coughlin is out

joewilly12

Rex beat NE once.  Not in the SB, you don't see a difference?

Forget it, go explain to the HOF that Shula doesnt belong in the HOF because after 1973 his playoff record sucks.

Or Parcells.  Two lucky runs.  One SB won on a easy FG that went wide right.

Can you not see how ridiculous your argument is?  Hasnt made the playoffs in 4 years erases the SB wins.  LOL, OK

Thank you...

It is insane; peopole want to defend Rex I get it, but comparing a win in the playoffs to winning a SB!!!

Come on now!!!!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't wait for the PC today where he goes on and on about the class of the organization and the media buys into it when the reality is the Giants just forced a 2 time SB winning coach to resign so in reality they fired him but in order to save face they guarantee his contract for this season and he "resigns".  the Giants know how to play the PR game.  just look at what everyone is talking about, you'd think Coughlin was retiring and that he was Vince Lombardi w/ the way they are talking about him not a coach just fired for missing 6 of 7 postseasons.

coughlin missed 6 of 7 postseasons, missed playoffs 7 of 12 seasons w/ giants(despite playing in weak division)

In 20 yrs as HC missed playoffs 11 of 20 seasons(55% of the time so he made playoffs 45% of time)

2 SB titles, 2 conf titles, 5 div titles, 9 PO apps

there are 22 coaches in HOF:

compared to modern era coaches- we'll say coached a bulk of career from 1980-current:

Parcells:19 seasons, 5 div titles(3 when NFC East was best div in football, 1 w/ Jets, one of 2 AFC east titles we have in our history), 3 conf titles, 2 SB titles, 10 PO apps.  let us not forget this man rebuilt numerous teams, if he stayed in one spot he wins even more.  he's not close to BP

Marv Levy: 17 seasons, 4 conf titles, 6 div titles, 8 PO apps.  doesn't have SB titles but 2 ore conf titles makes up for that and consistently had Buf in postseason. 

Don Shula: we don't need to waste time here

Joe Gibbs: 16 seasons, 3 SB titles, 4 conf titles, 5 div titles, 10 PO apps.  not even worth discussing

Bill Walsh: 10 seasons, 4 SB titles.  next.

Chuck Noll.  next

Tom Landry: next

the only guy we can sort of compare him to is Marv Levy and marv led to more PO apps and more SB apps.  Coughlin is a borderline candidate and they tend to let many guys in who shouldn't get in so he'll have a good shot but I don't believe he belongs.

Of course Tuna got that Div title before Brady, Hermie got one after a Brady Bowl win in 2002..

Thank you...

It is insane; peopole want to defend Rex I get it, but comparing a win in the playoffs to winning a SB!!!

Come on now!!!!

that wasn't the point, he wasn't talking about beating NE.  I simply pointing out the fact that we beat them on the road in the playoffs and beat them worse than NYG.  his whole criteria for the HOF was those 2 games.  he had a SB caliber roster both time, why did he lose 13 games w/ those SB teams? the HOF should be reserved for greatness, the best of the best.  Unfortunately they have allowed too many that don't belong and coughlin may go to but I don't believe his resume is a HOF resume.

that wasn't the point, he wasn't talking about beating NE.  I simply pointing out the fact that we beat them on the road in the playoffs and beat them worse than NYG.  his whole criteria for the HOF was those 2 games.  he had a SB caliber roster both time, why did he lose 13 games w/ those SB teams? the HOF should be reserved for greatness, the best of the best.  Unfortunately they have allowed too many that don't belong and coughlin may go to but I don't believe his resume is a HOF resume.

Ok fair enough.....

Loved his victories over the Pats he saved me is all I can say...

I heard talk that Luck wasn't consulted about the coaches extension.  If he is unhappy not much that he can do.  And then someone said something about him holding out and getting tagged and two 1st round picks would get him (not really understanding this - is the tag different for someone coming off their rookie contract), and would you do it - all of the Pats talking heads said they would absolutely do it.

I would too.  Would you guys give up this years and next for Luck? I love Fitz but would do it in a heartbeat.

Can't wait for the PC today where he goes on and on about the class of the organization and the media buys into it when the reality is the Giants just forced a 2 time SB winning coach to resign so in reality they fired him but in order to save face they guarantee his contract for this season and he "resigns".  the Giants know how to play the PR game.  just look at what everyone is talking about, you'd think Coughlin was retiring and that he was Vince Lombardi w/ the way they are talking about him not a coach just fired for missing 6 of 7 postseasons.

coughlin missed 6 of 7 postseasons, missed playoffs 7 of 12 seasons w/ giants(despite playing in weak division)

In 20 yrs as HC missed playoffs 11 of 20 seasons(55% of the time so he made playoffs 45% of time)

compared to modern era coaches- we'll say coached a bulk of career from 1980-current:

Parcells:19 seasons, 5 div titles(3 when NFC East was best div in football, 1 w/ Jets, one of 2 AFC east titles we have in our history), 3 conf titles, 2 SB titles, 10 PO apps.  let us not forget this man rebuilt numerous teams, if he stayed in one spot he wins even more.  he's not close to BP

Marv Levy: 17 seasons, 4 conf titles, 6 div titles, 8 PO apps.  doesn't have SB titles but 2 ore conf titles makes up for that and consistently had Buf in postseason. 

Don Shula: we don't need to waste time here

Joe Gibbs: 16 seasons, 3 SB titles, 4 conf titles, 5 div titles, 10 PO apps.  not even worth discussing

Bill Walsh: 10 seasons, 4 SB titles.  next.

Chuck Noll.  next

Tom Landry: next

the only guy we can sort of compare him to is Marv Levy and marv led to more PO apps and more SB apps.  Coughlin is a borderline candidate and they tend to let many guys in who shouldn't get in so he'll have a good shot but I don't believe he belongs.

You say modern era coaches, yet none of the coaches you list did it in the salary cap era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just beyond silly.  I agree Parcells is a better coach but Coughlin is EASILY a HOFer.  He won 2 SBs (just like Parcells), 5 div titles (just like Parcells) and had 9 PO appearances (to Parcells' 10).   Coughlin took over a very weak JAX team and a very weak Giants team and turned both around (similar to what Parcells did though Parcells did it in more places).  Let's not forget (fwiw) Coughlin was also an WR coach on Parcells' staff on the 1990 SB winning team.  Coughlin did this in the salary cap era, which is the true "modern era".  You can't compare any pre-salary cap era team to a post-salary cap era team.  It's absurd. And it's not just about the actual salary cap btw.  It's about the rules changes that favor the passing game.  Dan Marino's 5K yard passing season is a lot more impressive than the recent QBs who have done it. 

Again Coughlin is EASILY a HOFer.

Who cares who beat who worse?

The SB is bigger than the second round of the playoffs.  

The argument against Coughlin being a HOFer is akin to having the opinion that the only active HOF-quality HC is Belichick. 

Hell, he should be in Jets ring of honor for stopping the Pats from having a perfect season. Dear God imagine Tom Brady being the new Mercury Morris for the next 40 years.

I disagree.  John Mara deserved to be told **** you in that moment.  The Giants fired the wrong guy.  Reese has done sh*t.

I guess I'm confused.  Justin Tuck, Antrel Rolle and several others made a point that Coughlin "made them better men".

I'm sure he had plenty of time to tell Mara "eff you" in private which after one is fired may have been appropriate even though Coughlin should understand the business and how it works after many years in it.  Heck, the guy in SF got canned after one year. The Giants are famous for not making hasty decisions.  And as Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are".

Maybe the Giants did fire the wrong guy but I thought he would handle it better in public. 

I thought he would take the high road at the presser after I heard all the accolades about class and respect.

I was wrong.

I disagree.  John Mara deserved to be told **** you in that moment.  The Giants fired the wrong guy.  Reese has done sh*t.

If you ask me, the Giants already have their guy lined up and all this interviewing of potential replacements is BS. I believe even before 2015 started there was an agreement that Coughlin would bow out gracefully if the Giants failed to improve and make the playoffs. Coughlin put his NJ house on the market weeks ago. Its obvious that Coughlin didn't want to go and was forced out. In some respects Coughlin was set up by Reese similar to the way Rex was by Izdk.

Either Cowher is set to be the next HC or the Giants are talking to Sean Payton already. BTW, Jerry Jones private plane was spotted in New Orleans yesterday.

This is just beyond silly.  I agree Parcells is a better coach but Coughlin is EASILY a HOFer.  He won 2 SBs (just like Parcells), 5 div titles (just like Parcells) and had 9 PO appearances (to Parcells' 10).   Coughlin took over a very weak JAX team and a very weak Giants team and turned both around (similar to what Parcells did though Parcells did it in more places).  Let's not forget (fwiw) Coughlin was also an WR coach on Parcells' staff on the 1990 SB winning team.  Coughlin did this in the salary cap era, which is the true "modern era".  You can't compare any pre-salary cap era team to a post-salary cap era team.  It's absurd. And it's not just about the actual salary cap btw.  It's about the rules changes that favor the passing game.  Dan Marino's 5K yard passing season is a lot more impressive than the recent QBs who have done it. 

Again Coughlin is EASILY a HOFer.

Coughlin is nowhere near parcells.  Parcells went from team to team and took laughingstocks and built them into champions or at least championship contenders.  Coughlin was in 2 places for a very long time, had brief success and was mostly mediocre.

Coughlin coach 20 years and made the playoffs less than half the time in the parity era.  they had the same # of div titles.  Parcells w/ NYG was in a division when dallas was still a top team for the first few years, Washington was great, Philly was really good and he won 3 div titles in 8 years in the toughest division in football w/ the Giants.  he won those division winning 14 in 1986 where the 2nd place team won 12 games(and would win SB the following season), 12 in 1989 where 2nd and 3rd place teams won 11 & 10, 13 in 1990 where 2nd and 3rd place teams each won 10 games(and Wash would win SB the following year).  Compare that to Coughlin's 3 w/ NYG.  2005 they were 11-5 and next 2 won 10 and 9(then NYG got shut out at home in wc rd).  2008 they were 12-4, 2nd and 3rd place teams won 9.(and again they lost first PO game at home)  2011 they were 9-7, 2nd place team 8-8.  It was a lot harder and he coached teams up all season not just for a fluky 4 game run.

In SB seasons under BP NYG was 14-2 and 13-3, a total of 5 losses.  In SB seasons under TC they lost more than 5 games EACH season.  if he had SB talent why couldn't he coach them up during reg seasons?

Jacksonville was an expansion team w/ an incredible head start.  the league did not want to do it how they did w/ TB and Sea in 1976 so they gave jax and car HUGE advantages and both teams were in title game in YEAR 2 so TC didn't do anything special.  he then had most talented team in the league by about '97 or '98 and never made a SB.

NYG was one year removed from 10 wins and a playoff app, a few years removed from a SB app.  they were not in bad shape and immediately they traded up and got a franchise QB for him.  Parcells lost his QB in week 13 or so of 1990 and won the Super Bowl w/  BACKUP QB.  he made a SB w/ DREW BLEDSOE.

The Giants when BP took over had been to ONE postseason 1964-1982- ONE.  They were a laughingstock and in an era w/ the GREAT 49er teams, GREAT Redskins teams, GREAT Bears teams he won TWO SBs. 

he went to NE where they were in WORSE shape than NYG b/c they had ownership issues, threat of moving to SL, they were brutal on the field and on top of it had the sexual harassment scandal w/ Lisa Olsen.  By year 2 they were a playoff team and he set the team up for long term success. 

he then came to the NY Jets who made ONE postseason 1987-1996(and we were 8-8 when we did it), we had won a total of TEN games the previous THREE seasons and in year 1 we won 9 w/ BP and won our FIRST EVER AFC East title a year later.

He went to Dallas where they were stuck in mediocrity and couldn't get to the playoffs, year 1 he made it.

Coughlin is a very good HC but in 20 seasons:

made playoffs 9 times

missed playoffs 11 times

was FIRED by NYG after missing playoffs 6 of 7 seasons and the year they made the run to the SB they wouldn't have made the playoffs if the division wasn't so bad.

Coughlin is a borderline candidate at best and I feel he doesn't belong.  The Hall of fame is about sustained greatness, this does not describe the career of Tom Coughlin.

Who cares who beat who worse?

The SB is bigger than the second round of the playoffs.  

the point is that it was harder to beat NE in Foxboro where they had lost one time to that point and still have only lost 3 times in this era.  I am not saying rex is Coughlin but it's silly to say b/c they got hot for 4 games that Coughlin should be a HOFer.  the HOF is about greatness, 9-7/10-6 is not greatness.

the point is that it was harder to beat NE in Foxboro where they had lost one time to that point and still have only lost 3 times in this era.  I am not saying rex is Coughlin but it's silly to say b/c they got hot for 4 games that Coughlin should be a HOFer.  the HOF is about greatness, 9-7/10-6 is not greatness.

No its not.  Its harder to get to the SB, you need to win that same 2nd round playoff game and then win the 3rd round game.  Do you not get that?  You think beating that NE team, that also shlt the bed and lost at how to the Ravens was as hard to beat as say, GB in GB?  

No one, anywhere who understands the playoffs is going to agree with you that winning in NE is a bigger or tougher achievement than getting to and winning the SB.

Done, I'll bet and everyone else would bet anything that Coughlin makes the HOF.  Anything, you'll lose that bet.  

No its not.  Its harder to get to the SB, you need to win that same 2nd round playoff game and then win the 3rd round game.  Do you not get that?  You think beating that NE team, that also shlt the bed and lost at how to the Ravens was as hard to beat as say, GB in GB?  

No one, anywhere who understands the playoffs is going to agree with you that winning in NE is a bigger or tougher achievement than getting to and winning the SB.

Done, I'll bet and everyone else would bet anything that Coughlin makes the HOF.  Anything, you'll lose that bet.  

it's harder to get to the SB, that's not the argument. it's harder to beat NE in NE in postseason than in the SB.

In Brady era:

NE is 4-2 in SBs, 67% avg score: NE 23 opps 22

NE in Foxboro in playoffs: 14-3, 82% avg. score: NE 28 Opps 18

coughlin may make it, doesn't mean he belongs. they let far too many non greats in the Hall but his resume does not reflect what a HOF coach should look like.  2 great runs deserves all the credit for that but it doesn't make you a HOFer.

it's harder to get to the SB, that's not the argument. it's harder to beat NE in NE in postseason than in the SB.

In Brady era:

NE is 4-2 in SBs, 67% avg score: NE 23 opps 22

NE in Foxboro in playoffs: 14-3, 82% avg. score: NE 28 Opps 18

coughlin may make it, doesn't mean he belongs. they let far too many non greats in the Hall but his resume does not reflect what a HOF coach should look like.  2 great runs deserves all the credit for that but it doesn't make you a HOFer.

No.  The argument is I said Tom Coughlin is going to the HOF.

You fired back hes not a HOF HC.

You are dead wrong, bet the house hes makes the HOF.

You come back with %'s?  Youre stuck on beating the Pats in the playoffs vs beating the Pats in the SB?  DUH, their winning % in the SB is lowered because of two losses to the GIANTS.  

No.  The argument is I said Tom Coughlin is going to the HOF.

You fired back hes not a HOF HC.

You are dead wrong, bet the house hes makes the HOF.

You come back with %'s?  Youre stuck on beating the Pats in the playoffs vs beating the Pats in the SB?  DUH, their winning % in the SB is lowered because of two losses to the GIANTS.  

I don't believe he belongs, we are putting him in for 2 4 game stretches and a bunch of mediocrity. If he makes it he will be the worst coach in the Hall, no other coach has a resume as weak as coughlin.

This.

Plus, we can't call Eli a "compiler" if he has 2 rings with 2 SB MVPs.

do we discuss how he didn't deserve wither one? 

Eli and coughlin are similar, both had 2 great runs but their careers have been mostly mediocre.  the Hall has been watered down enough.

do we discuss how he didn't deserve wither one? 

Eli and coughlin are similar, both had 2 great runs but their careers have been mostly mediocre.  the Hall has been watered down enough.

This from the guy who thinks so highly of Sanchez for two playoff runs that didnt include a single trip to the SB, nevermind two SB wins.

Your logic is mind boggling 

I don't believe he belongs, we are putting him in for 2 4 game stretches and a bunch of mediocrity. If he makes it he will be the worst coach in the Hall, no other coach has a resume as weak as coughlin.

I don't believe you are not only flailing on him getting in, now youre going to try ranking those in the HOF.  LOL.  

Don't bother. He's the biggest pats fan on the board. You know how to truly spot one of them? Bring up the Giants. If there's one thing that truly gets under pats fans skin other than all the cheating, it's the Giants. More so than Peyton Manning, moreso than the Jets, it's the Giants. 

For anyone to look at Coughlin's two super bowl rings and not immediately enshrine him, they must be pats fans. 

This from the guy who thinks so highly of Sanchez for two playoff runs that didnt include a single trip to the SB, nevermind two SB wins.

Your logic is mind boggling 

yep, b/c I am saying Mark should be in the HOF.

do we also realize how similar our '09/'10 runs were and NYG '07/'11?  just a little luck here and there and we are easily in 2 SBs and NYG loses both title games.  In the '10 title game sanchez was throwing a pass that they call an INT, an incredibly close call and it goes against us for a fumble returned for TD.  a year later in SF Ahmad Bradshaw clearly fumbles late in the game which would have set up chip shot FG for SF win and they blow it dead.  2 incredibly close plays, went for NYG and against us or history is completely changed.

Sanchez played really well during our runs just as Eli did during his, the difference was NYGs D/STs and some good fortune but eli and coughlin are lock HOfers:lol:

I heard talk that Luck wasn't consulted about the coaches extension.  If he is unhappy not much that he can do.  And then someone said something about him holding out and getting tagged and two 1st round picks would get him (not really understanding this - is the tag different for someone coming off their rookie contract), and would you do it - all of the Pats talking heads said they would absolutely do it.

I would too.  Would you guys give up this years and next for Luck? I love Fitz but would do it in a heartbeat.

This is a serious question?

Anyone would even bother to turn away from this because of picks or because of Fitz being on this team?  Fitz was great but LOL, Luck?

Archived