Could Gang Green Wind up With Draft’s Best Player…Again?

JetNation

I would have rather had Mariota  or Gurley,  but Williams looks like a solid pick for sure

There's been some DROY talk but I don't think he gets it.  Jets could really use a LBer, so getting the top guy in the draft at #20 would be hard to pass up if they're happy with how his recovery is coming along.

Floyd would have to do something stupid, or really show poorly at combine, and pro day to fall to 20.  Not sure the Jets have the luxury of drafting a kid that won't play in 2016 with their 1st pick even thou kid is good enough to warrant the selection, tough sell.

I'd prefer Jack to fall, but I highly doubt that as he will be just about healed come draft time, and also love Scooby Wright.

Floyd is a monster and would be quite a steal at #20 IMO.

Yup...he was going to be one of the first guys I was gonna' do a draft profile on but hesitated because I wasn't sure if I was crazy to think the Jets may take a shot on him after the knee injury.  Saw Kiper's mock and figured it can't be that far fetched.

Floyd would have to do something stupid, or really show poorly at combine, and pro day to fall to 20.  Not sure the Jets have the luxury of drafting a kid that won't play in 2016 with their 1st pick even thou kid is good enough to warrant the selection, tough sell.

I'd prefer Jack to fall, but I highly doubt that as he will be just about healed come draft time, and also love Scooby Wright.

I don't think he'll be doing much of anything at combine or pro day...his knee exploded a few weeks ago IIRC.

I don't think he'll be doing much of anything at combine or pro day...his knee exploded a few weeks ago IIRC.

Floyd didn't hurt his knee, he had cleanup surgery on shoulder like 6 weeks ago.  It's the ND kid that tore his knee up.  Floyd gonna be at all offseason work outs if I had to guess. 

haha - Idzik and co. passed on Williams for Fowler. 

FROM WIKI.....    On May 8, 2015, Fowler tore his ACL on the first day of mini-camp and missed the entirety of his rookie season.[10][11] On May 12, four days after tearing his ACL, Fowler signed a fully guaranteed four-year, $23.5 million contract, with a $15.3 million signing bonus.[12]

By Glenn Naughton   Last year when the New York Jets had the NFL draft’s sixth overall selection in the first round, very few people expected them to come away with a player who many considered to be the best player in the country, defensive lineman, Leonard Williams. As it turned out, a surprise pick […]

Click here to read the full story...

i'm hopin' we do what we did in last year's draft.. take the Best available player still on the board   :cool:...& end up with the same result as Last year   ;)

cheers ~ ~

:P 

Floyd didn't hurt his knee, he had cleanup surgery on shoulder like 6 weeks ago.  It's the ND kid that tore his knee up.  Floyd gonna be at all offseason work outs if I had to guess. 

My mistake...thought you were talking about Smith.

Rob Rang on their site has us taking Paxton Lynch at 20.  Now that would make Jets fans go crazy.

Well that would tell you what we think about our QB situation for sure. He probably will not be there most likely him and Goff will be gone by then

By Glenn Naughton   Last year when the New York Jets had the NFL draft’s sixth overall selection in the first round, very few people expected them to come away with a player who many considered to be the best player in the country, defensive lineman, Leonard Williams. As it turned out, a surprise pick […]

Click here to read the full story...

Another great article Glenn.  Your getting pretty good at this righting stuff.

Even though the Jets are picking at 20, I really like the players  that might be available  at need positions.  On the surface of it one would think that it is a major long shot Smith could fall to 20.  Thing is, it will take big balls for a GM in front of us  to pull the trigger on a speed guy who blew his knee out in January.

Smith would be a major  coupe to grab at 20.   Not likely, but I never even considered Williams would fall to us.  A healthy Smith would give this defense some legitimate teeth.   Perhaps Joe Willy has repented for selling his soul all those years ago, and the curse has been lifted.:P  

You just want Scooby and Snacks on the same roster

Well that would tell you what we think about our QB situation for sure. He probably will not be there most likely him and Goff will be gone by then

I thought the same thing too.  But if you look at the list above us the only teams looking to draft a QB, you would think, are the Browns and the Rams.  If you put Goff and Cook that would leave Lynch for us.  Could very well be available when we pick.

Of course I have no clue what they think about Petty, theyve seen him practice all year.  If they like Petty, I think they do, they wont use a 1st on a QB.  

Dee Milliner had, I believe 4 surgeries, before he came to the NFL.  To my knowledge this is Smith's first.  I'm pretty sure he has never missed a game at ND

That's why I was curious....looks like he played every game and was over 100 tackles in each of the last two years.  Would like to know what all the other injuries were.

I thought the same thing too.  But if you look at the list above us the only teams looking to draft a QB, you would think, are the Browns and the Rams.  If you put Goff and Cook that would leave Lynch for us.  Could very well be available when we pick.

Of course I have no clue what they think about Petty, theyve seen him practice all year.  If they like Petty, I think they do, they wont use a 1st on a QB.  

Cook will be lucky to be the 4th QB off the board, and I wouldn't be shocked to see neither Goff, or Lynch not be the first off the board.

Cook will be lucky to be the 4th QB off the board, and I wouldn't be shocked to see neither Goff, or Lynch not be the first off the board.

Don't think there's any order that would shock me.  Think at this point after Goff they're all kind of interchangeable.   

Don't think there's any order that would shock me.  Think at this point after Goff they're all kind of interchangeable.   

Cook will fall to Rd 3, Wentz will be 1st off the board, and Goff 2nd, and Lynch will be the QB to fall because of the questions about being able to translate his skill set to the NFL.  

Cook will fall to Rd 3, Wentz will be 1st off the board, and Goff 2nd, and Lynch will be the QB to fall because of the questions about being able to translate his skill set to the NFL.  

Lynch has all the skills just is so raw.  Was the top ranked QB for awhile until the competition go tougher. But his potential is there.  I think Goff goes 1st, Wentz or Lynch next.  But like I said whatever the order I won't be shocked

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/687307947005874177?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Tweets not displaying...top one is scout Matt Miller saying Smith is the closest thing he's seen to Patrick Willis.

https://twitter.com/PeteSampson_/status/686601643245322240?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

This one is a ND writer saying he's the closest thing to a "sure thing" he's seen in 16 years.

I think the compensation for Wilk is really going to play a big part in how we approach the draft. Grabbing Jaylin Smith in the first doesn't hurt so badly if we have another 1st rounder. Smith AND a QB would be a heist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Jaylon Smith falls to 20, you take him and run. He's a top five talent, every down linebacker that the Jets desperately need.

I haven't seen him play much at all, but read about him a bit during the season and he seemed to be a consensus top-5 guy.  I always say you can't gamble on guys with serious injuries in round one, but this might be one time I'd be happy if they made an exception.

So if people don;t want to draft a guy who is injured do they also automatically want to get rid of Wilkerson who just broke a leg?

Wilkerson broke a leg and will be ready for the regular season. Wilkerson is also a vet that could take the entire preseason off and be ready to go game 1. Smith tore an ACL and will likely miss all of preseason and a few games. Rookies need camp to have any chance at producing in year 1. HUGE DIFFERENCE!

And I am not saying I'd be upset if we took Smith, but I totally understand why many are leery of  the choice. 

Archived