RB Matt Forte.. jets' new LaDainian Tomlinson ? ? ?

kelly

Things are starting to heat up around the NFL -- free agency, roster cuts, draft, etc. The New York Jets have been relatively quiet, but that will change. Continuing our mailbag tradition, we'll continue to tackle key issues.

@RichCimini: Signing a 30-year-old running back (with 2,035 career carries) would seem to contradict the Jets' desire to get faster in the backfield, but Matt Forte is a unique back and I think the Jets will be monitoring him as free agency starts to heat up. Forte's days as a No. 1 back are over, but he'd be a nice fit if they lose third-down back Bilal Powell.

Since breaking in with the Chicago Bears in 2008, Forte has 487 receptions, more than any running back over that span. In 2014, he caught 102 passes -- 102 freaking passes! Sure, he has slowed down a bit, but he still has value because of his football savvy and durability. He reminds me a lot of LaDainian Tomlinson, circa 2010. The future Hall of Famer was 31 when he signed a two-year contract with the Jets, and he was a valuable contributor -- on and off the field -- in 2010, helping the Jets to the AFC Championship Game.

Like Tomlinson, Forte is a high-character individual, and he'd fit nicely into the Jets' locker room. He has two allies in the organization -- college scouting director Rex Hogan, a former Bears scout, and former Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall. Forte is a pro's pro.There are a lot of moving parts with regard to the Jets' backfield. They'd like to re-sign Powell and Chris Ivory, but I have a hard time seeing both guys back in green. I don't think Forte would be a good replacement for Ivory as the featured back, but he'd be a good add as a combination back.Powell and Ivory combined for 16 third-down catches last season. Does anybody think Forte couldn't triple that production? Didn't think so.

Ultimately, it'll come down to role and, of course, price. I don't think he's an A list free agent for the Jets, but he's a backburner option.

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58520/former-bears-rb-matt-forte-could-be-jets-new-ladainian-tomlinson

Chris Ivory was pretty decent.

The thing I like about Forte is that he is one of the best pass catching and protecting backs in the NFL. Everything the Jets do this offseason should be about improving pass offense and defense, even at traditionally run oriented positions like RB, DT, and ILB. I like his fit in the locker room too. He joins other high caliber late prime players in the starting group, which in turn gives them more flexibility with young players and the draft in general. His position and age make him a prime candidate in FA to be a lighter commit and probably a bargain.

Fun fact: Despite being a year older than Martin when Martin signed his 3rd NFL contract, Forte has 600+ fewer career carries.

23 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Chris Ivory was pretty decent.

The thing I like about Forte is that he is one of the best pass catching and protecting backs in the NFL. Everything the Jets do this offseason should be about improving pass offense and defense, even at traditionally run oriented positions like RB, DT, and ILB. I like his fit in the locker room too. He joins other high caliber late prime players in the starting group, which in turn gives them more flexibility with young players and the draft in general. His position and age make him a prime candidate in FA to be a lighter commit and probably a bargain.

Fun fact: Despite being a year older than Martin when Martin signed his 3rd NFL contract, Forte has 600+ fewer career carries.

Can't help but love Forte.  However, what kind of money do you think it would take?  I know RB FAs have been getting lower amounts over the past few years, but I think Forte could be an exception.  There might be some team out there ready to overpay.

Jets will be a bit thin on cap space once they tag Mo or sign him to a new contract.  After all, Mo is on a HOF track, you know.

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Can't help but love Forte.  However, what kind of money do you think it would take?  I know RB FAs have been getting lower amounts over the past few years, but I think Forte could be an exception.  There might be some team out there ready to overpay.

Jets will be a bit thin on cap space once they tag Mo or sign him to a new contract.  After all, Mo is on a HOF track, you know.

After cuts and restructures the Jets will have plenty to work with while keeping potential HOFer Mo Wilkerson. I imagine Forte will get a 4 year deal that's really a 2 year deal...maybe 15-16 guaranteed on the high end?

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Martin is SOOO overrated. He was durable, there's that.

he was a complete player, and the best guy on the team every day he was here.  other teams entire plan was built around stopping him.

100 TD's dude, 100

20 minutes ago, Larz said:

he was a complete player, and the best guy on the team every day he was here.  other teams entire plan was built around stopping him.

100 TD's dude, 100

Obviously lots of people and HOF voters agree with you. I think he was an above average talent that was very very durable. But never a game changer or elite player. Wasn't his nickname the compiler?

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Obviously lots of people and HOF voters agree with you. I think he was an above average talent that was very very durable. But never a game changer or elite player. Wasn't his nickname the compiler?

he was always elite and always changed the game. the other team changed the game to account for him, which is the literal definition of game changer

he just didnt have the 90 yard TD on his resume with 3 spin moves and a stiff arm for everyone to see on sportscenter

we could use another compiler to rack up TD's for us

Yeah, Martin's reputation got ****ed over by working for sh*tdick franchise. It's something that plagues every great Jets player ever. This franchise sucks too much, is too consistently and hilariously unsuccessful, for anyone good to get taken seriously in the long run, when it comes to historical league discussions.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

he was always elite and always changed the game. the other team changed the game to account for him, which is the literal definition of game changer

he just didnt have the 90 yard TD on his resume with 3 spin moves and a stiff arm for everyone to see on sportscenter

Like I said, others agree with you but I do not think he was ever close even remotely close to being an elite RB. On any level other than durability

4 hours ago, Larz said:

I love how easy and overrated it is to be the 3rd or 4th all time leading rusher.  So easy that no one else did it.  Love this line of lunacy.  That people are so clueless they don't know what they had here, can't appreciate what he was.  And that being durable is a bad thing, he's just durable.  Lol

How many othe HOF players have we had since Namath? Let's shlt on the one we got to watch every week 

15 hours ago, SenorGato said:

...until some cuts and restructures open up enough cap space to have a productive offseason.

So after we dedicate $20 mil to next year's cap for Will while creating holes on the OL and at Nose we'll sign an old RB who has a name and he will make an arena league OL block good for him?

Sign me up!

52 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

So after we dedicate $20 mil to next year's cap for Will while creating holes on the OL and at Nose we'll sign an old RB who has a name and he will make an arena league OL block good for him?

Sign me up!

*At least* $20 million, don't forget Wilkerson wants a contract larger than Watt's and Suh's combined.

Like I said, others agree with you but I do not think he was ever close even remotely close to being an elite RB. On any level other than durability

Factor in that he played majority of his career here with the egg. Considering how close up the Safeties would play to the line knowing Chad was never gonna throw it over their head, it makes what Martin accomplished look a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that Forte will want a lot of money. And I'm not a fan of overpaying veteran Rbs who are mostly pretty much done. They are like your original car tires when you replace them. Almost worn out. Get young legs and there are plenty of good Rbs coming out of college,etc. This is why there might not be a big market for Ivory. He came here with a lot of tread but not much left. 

Archived