Free agent targets

Jetster

Let's hope Mac gets right to cutting the losers on this roster, (All of the TEs on the roster sans Amaro), Ridley, Pace, ect. While I don't see us being a huge presence in Free Agency, I do see Mac zeroing in on some needs in FA & I'd like him to target 2 players that would be perfect for the direction we're going who won't break the bank, (I call them twofers) players you might be able to sign for the price of 1 higher profile FA.

My 1st target would be Travis Benjamin if the Browns fail to resign him or give him a 2nd round tag. Benjamin if you remember is a burner who smoked the Jets deep in the opener last year, but is also a really good returner that can put some zip in our special teams. 

My 2nd target is Ladarious Green at TE. With Amaro coming back, every TE left on this roster could be cut, since Enunwa plays the Hback part. Green is another redzone target, plus Chan could put together some "Big" sets with Green, Amaro & Enunwa. If you look at San Diego they've basically had one really good receiver who got hurt last year. Green on the field with Marshall & Decker, is a whole lotta trouble in the middle of the field. That's a damn good trio of players substituting for each other with no real drop off (Amaro, Green, Enunwa). Just those moves alone could allow Mac to go BPA in the draft concentrating most on These 3 positions, LB, OL & RB.

I like your plan, but I still believe there are other needs. I think the offense needs the following... WR, OL, TE, FB, QB.

Fitz should be resigned, but unless we give him every weapon that Mark Sanchez had in his sophomore season, we won't be giving Fitz a fair shot. I don't really know about either of the players you mention, but I love the idea of adding a WR and ST guy. Our ST sucked last season.

Just now, Mainejet said:

I like your plan, but I still believe there are other needs. I think the offense needs the following... WR, OL, TE, FB, QB.

Fitz should be resigned, but unless we give him every weapon that Mark Sanchez had in his sophomore season, we won't be giving Fitz a fair shot. I don't really know about either of the players you mention, but I love the idea of adding a WR and ST guy. Our ST sucked last season.

We need a legitimate running game added to Marshall and Decker to improve the offense a decent TE could help as well along with some better OL not going to be easy to rebuild this team with little cap money. 

Dont over pay Fitz if we pay him at all.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

We need a legitimate running game added to Marshall and Decker to improve the offense a decent TE could help as well along with some better OL not going to be easy to rebuild this team with little cap money. 

Dont over pay Fitz if we pay him at all.

Agreed. And I also believe having a great defense backing up Fitz would be huge. Fitz would get a lot more chances to score.

I loved Ladarius Greene coming out of college.  He was raw but had huge upside.  I still don't think he's touched his potential yet.  And he'd be cheap.  Amaro/Green would be an enormous improvement at the position.  As for WR...we've spent enough there.  We need OL (for depth and to groom for our aging tackle and Center).  And we have to figure out what the hell Devin Smith is good for.  I'm thinking hes another speedy WR with no real talent.  So draft would be OL, OLB, RB, WR3.  FA would be TE, OL, KR/PR.  My 2 cents.

3 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

I loved Ladarius Greene coming out of college.  He was raw but had huge upside.  I still don't think he's touched his potential yet.  And he'd be cheap.  Amaro/Green would be an enormous improvement at the position.  As for WR...we've spent enough there.  We need OL (for depth and to groom for our aging tackle and Center).  And we have to figure out what the hell Devin Smith is good for.  I'm thinking hes another speedy WR with no real talent.  So draft would be OL, OLB, RB, WR3.  FA would be TE, OL, KR/PR.  My 2 cents.

Agree if Devin Smith can hold onto the ball maybe all isn't lost we desperately need a KR and PR though we brought in Dri Archer this off season.

Would like to see Kerley more involved in this offense. 

22 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

FWIW I read today that the Chargers are interested in extending Gates again... I doubt they'd spend big on two tight ends. One is probably bound to hit FA

Even if the Browns let Benjamin go I think he would be looking for to much money for us (probably something like 6-7m per year). I think it would be wiser to look at an older veteran who might be willing to take a one year cheap deal maybe a Boldin or Floyd and try to get Thompkins and Owusu resigned.

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Even if the Browns let Benjamin go I think he would be looking for to much money for us (probably something like 6-7m per year). I think it would be wiser to look at an older veteran who might be willing to take a one year cheap deal maybe a Boldin or Floyd and try to get Thompkins and Owusu resigned.

Your probably right regarding Benjamins cost, but, you never know. Owusu is a goner (too many concussions), Kerley is a goner, Pace, Cumberland, D. Davis, all goners. I agree with others here regarding a stud RB, I'm all for grabbing Ezekial if he's there at 20. Maybe a duo of Green & go hard after Bruce Irvin (who I believe won't break the bank based on age & playing time). I don't think there are enough teams playing 3/4 defense. I don't think the young teams that have the most cap space will spend big on over 30s, or have the need. Jets will be knocking on the Super Bowl door if they have a huge draft & can get Fitz back on a hometown deal with him liking his situation with Chan & Bowles. Bruce Irvin could be a difference maker for 2 years.

3 hours ago, BroadwayJets said:

FWIW I read today that the Chargers are interested in extending Gates again... I doubt they'd spend big on two tight ends. One is probably bound to hit FA

That's good news, I like Green. Seemed to always show up when Gates got hurt, and that is with only Allen.

16 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Your probably right regarding Benjamins cost, but, you never know. Owusu is a goner (too many concussions), Kerley is a goner, Pace, Cumberland, D. Davis, all goners. I agree with others here regarding a stud RB, I'm all for grabbing Ezekial if he's there at 20. Maybe a duo of Green & go hard after Bruce Irvin (who I believe won't break the bank based on age & playing time). I don't think there are enough teams playing 3/4 defense. I don't think the young teams that have the most cap space will spend big on over 30s, or have the need. Jets will be knocking on the Super Bowl door if they have a huge draft & can get Fitz back on a hometown deal with him liking his situation with Chan & Bowles. Bruce Irvin could be a difference maker for 2 years.

Bruce Irvin is 28, still in his prime and will probably get big bucks.

18 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The one thing that worries me about Elliot is that it seemed to me like he has trouble after contact. I also think he will be gone before our pick anyway but we will see.

6 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Bruce Irvin is 28, still in his prime and will probably get big bucks.

Is he really that great? I'm generally curious if he's just a beneficiary of that defense... Seattle is on primetime often and I generally never see him stand out. I think he's a JAG, but I'm not positive about that.

13 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

Is he really that great? I'm generally curious if he's just a beneficiary of that defense... Seattle is on primetime often and I generally never see him stand out. I think he's a JAG, but I'm not positive about that.

I wonder that myself.  I'm not all that impressed but I do believe he will get a big contract based on reputation.  I wouldn't invest the money,mwould rather get one of the guys in the draft.

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Why is everyone writing off Devin Smith?  Same thing as last year with C Pryor, and this fan base wonders why we can't develop a QB.

I'm a big fan of Fitz, but part of d.smiths problem is fitzys inability to get the ball deep and/or when he DOES get it deep, it's not very accurate. 

D.smith seems a little fragile, too. I'm not giving up on him (you're right, I kinda learned my lesson w Pryor), but he certainly didn't excite me. Jury is still out. 

Archived