What does Bowles need to do to improve?

Freemanm

We're all talking about players, but I'd like to hear thoughts on how Todd Bowles needs to improve as HC. Don't get me wrong, I thought he did a great job in motivating and disciplining players. There were a couple of things though. 

Not playing Ivory more in that season ending loss to the Bills; being kind of a one-trick pony when it came to defensive schemes and not going with cover 2 or 3 schemes when the Jets faced faster teams; not giving Revis help over the top, etc.

He made a few curious in game decisions re time outs, going for tds vs fgs etc which we can hope will improve.  We had a a few games where the game plan was not good imo.  Buffalo games and the Houston game especially, teams that you beat if you do everything you can to take away a couple of prime threats.  Vs Buff, don't let the QB run and don't let watkins beat you.  Houston, don't let Hopkins and Watt beat you.  As distasteful as it is to coaches at times you have to throw your normal game plans out the window to make the other team bet you with their lesser players and really sell out to do so.

I am optimistic though as I think both coach and gm know what they need to do payer wise to get better.  (Outside olb pass rushers being FAR more important these days than interior guys.)

He needs to work on motivating the players. The middle part of the season the defense was "loafing around" as mentioned by a player. This also happened with the offense. His ST team was absolute sh*t. He didn't make enough in game adjustments or got out maneuvered. very often. Most of all, he's a rookie HC and it showed this last season. He got owned TWICE by Rex Ryan. He got outcoached twice by Rex Ryan.

Quite frankly if not for the 5 game winning streak, I'd still be calling for his firing. The mid part of this season, with a RECORD easy schedule no less, he was getting bitch slapped consistently. If that had continued, EVERYONE would be calling for his ouster. But instead, he managed to win 5 straight games only to pull the carpet out from under all Jets fans. WHOOP-DE-DOO.

21 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

He needs to work on motivating the players. The middle part of the season the defense was "loafing around" as mentioned by a player. This also happened with the offense. His ST team was absolute sh*t. He didn't make enough in game adjustments or got out maneuvered. very often. Most of all, he's a rookie HC and it showed this last season. He got owned TWICE by Rex Ryan. He got outcoached twice by Rex Ryan.

Quite frankly if not for the 5 game winning streak, I'd still be calling for his firing. The mid part of this season, with a RECORD easy schedule no less, he was getting bitch slapped consistently. If that had continued, EVERYONE would be calling for his ouster. But instead, he managed to win 5 straight games only to pull the carpet out from under all Jets fans. WHOOP-DE-DOO.

+1, if he hadnt of won all those games, he would have won fewer games, and then how good of a coach would he be? Not very

27 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Lower your voice Ron.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Not blowing a playoff spot to Rex Ryan at the hands of a game plan centered around Stevan ******* Ridley is probably a good start.

My problem with that is there was no explanation of why Ivory was out. Was he hurt? Did he refuse to go in? Was Bowles down on him? My main concern with Bowles was clock management in several games. Oakland, the first NE game and Buffalo (both games). He also went against a Parcells mandate...never leave points on the field when he went for it on 4th down several times and failed. Can't do that no more.

Sorry everyone must get so emotional with me. But there is plenty of fact in what I posted, whether you like it or not. Bowles is a rookie HC and it most certainly showed. In regards to motivation of players though, he sucks and I think it's rather obvious. When you have players admitting to "loafing around" there's obviously a problem at the top. But the worst of it all is, losing to Rex Ryan of all people. All Jets fans new arch nemesis. I have to imagine that pisses all Jets fans off to no end?

I don't think you can focus on one game - overall it was a good year.  I don't expect much from the Jets this coming season - tougher schedule, less cap room, etc.  But I want to see improvement from the 1st game to last.

I expect big things in 2017.

Started to do it at the end of the season, but be more aggressive with calls. Manage time better, which he improved on as the season went on.

But, as usual, most people are looking at one game rather than the whole year. Jets fans being Jets fans. I just don't understand it. Without coaching decently in the first 15 games, you DON'T get that chance in the 16th game.

1 does not equal 16.

Just ask the Bengals who keep bringing Marvin Lewis back.

Now, in response to this post. RutgersJet will put up a Facebook photo while clearly crying on the inside on how Rutgers is THE WORST major athletic school in the country and MaineJet will put up a bit of a squabble

11 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Now, in response to this post. RutgersJet will put up a Facebook photo while clearly crying on the inside on how Rutgers is THE WORST athletic major school in the country

I hear he has posters of Gary Nova and Mike Teel in his bedroom.

My belief all along is that Bowles never thought his team was particularly good and he coached them like Gene Hackman in Hoosiers, focusing more on changing the culture than chasing wins. His lack of urgency toward any particular game--including the Buffalo loss to end the season--was puke-inducing at times, but we have to hope it pays off down the line. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My belief all along is that Bowles never thought his team was particularly good and he coached them like Gene Hackman in Hoosiers, focusing more on changing the culture than chasing wins. His lack of urgency toward any particular game--including the Buffalo loss to end the season--was puke-inducing at times, but we have to hope it pays off down the line. 

Which is interesting because the game before that, he showed a good deal of urgency against New England. I don't recall any particular tempo problems in Buffalo. We just couldn't move the ball

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Now if he can just get his Jimmy Chitwood to play QB.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

My problem with that is there was no explanation of why Ivory was out. Was he hurt? Did he refuse to go in? Was Bowles down on him? My main concern with Bowles was clock management in several games. Oakland, the first NE game and Buffalo (both games). He also went against a Parcells mandate...never leave points on the field when he went for it on 4th down several times and failed. Can't do that no more.

Biggest game for the franchise in upwards of half a decade. And the game plan was to ride Ridlay all game. It's even more mind boggling saying it in hindsight.

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Biggest game for the franchise in upwards of half a decade. And the game plan was to ride Ridlay all game. It's even more mind boggling saying it in hindsight.

Not when he was the only really healthy back. That's a depth problem. I don't care what Bowles said after the game. I clearly remember being on here the week before and people were saying that Ivory had a bad knee. Now he had one long run on that knee and nothing afterwards. So unfortunately, the plan of using Ridley was one of necessity. That is not an excuse, that is a fact. I gave some suggestions on what he can do to improve. (cue picture)

12 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

You don't really believe that do you? You don't think he was legitimately hurt?

I have no idea. All I know is Bowles got worked that game. 

All in all there was some very good and some very bad in his first season. But it's going to take a really long time to forgive how the season ended. 

18 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Not when he was the only really healthy back. That's a depth problem. I don't care what Bowles said after the game. I clearly remember being on here the week before and people were saying that Ivory had a bad knee. Now he had one long run on that knee and nothing afterwards. So unfortunately, the plan of using Ridley was one of necessity. That is not an excuse, that is a fact. I gave some suggestions on what he can do to improve. (cue picture)

image.jpeg

Things Bowles did well:

1.  Beat the Giants for the first time for this franchise since 1993.

2.  Swept the Dolphins.

3.  Split with the Patriots (and at least had the team competing in the road loss).

Things Bowles did poorly:

1.  Got swept by Rex Ryan.

He got about a B+ for his first season.  But in order to get an A next year, we need to beat the Bills twice while playing at about the same level against everyone else as we did in '15.  Starting his career 1-3 or 0-4 against Rex Ryan would be pretty much unacceptable.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Things Bowles did well:

2.  Swept the Dolphins.

3.  Split with the Patriots (and at least had the team competing in the road loss).

He got about a B+ for his first season.  But in order to get an A next year, we need to beat the Bills twice while playing at about the same level against everyone else as we did in '15.  Starting his career 1-3 or 0-4 against Rex Ryan would be pretty much unacceptable.

He's going to have to make the playoffs. Standard with rookie coaches is just about three years to make your first appearance and I don't have it in me to watch yet another lame duck season with this god forsaken franchise.

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He's going to have to make the playoffs. Standard with rookie coaches is just about three years to make your first appearance and I don't have it in me to watch yet another lame duck season with this god forsaken franchise.

Yep.  I figure if we play like we did last year PLUS sweep the Bills, that's another 10-11 win season.  And it's unlikely we'll have back-to-back years where 10 wins misses the postseason.

2 hours ago, peebag said:

I don't think you can focus on one game - overall it was a good year.  I don't expect much from the Jets this coming season - tougher schedule, less cap room, etc.  But I want to see improvement from the 1st game to last.

I expect big things in 2017.

Why wait until 2017?  I'm not willing to give him a pass on 2016 the way you are. I expect significant improvement in 2016.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Things Bowles did well:

2.  Swept the Dolphins.

So if he lost to the Patriots the week before but beat the Bills next week, he would have gotten a better grade?

I had a feeling that Jets fans are less upset about missing the playoffs and are more upset about losing to Rex.  This kind of confirms it for me. 

Next year, watch them win 8-9 games and make the playoffs just because

Bowles needs to make better adjustments when things aren't working as hoped. I can accept some of it being first year nerves, if that's what it was. But when something isn't working I'm not encouraged when the coach gets up on the post-game podium after sticking with a failed pre-game plan and boasts that he didn't want to let the other team dictate what we wanted and planned to do all week long.

That is not good coaching. That's stubbornness to a fault.

A good coach exploits weaknesses when they present themselves, and abandons things that are failing. He looks for an edge, and when it is revealed to him he pounces on it. If the running game isn't there you don't still run into a brick wall another 15x for 25 yards because that was what you wanted to do going back to Tuesday/Wednesday team meetings from the prior week. You go with your hot hand and if something is working stick with it until it stops. Maybe someone on the other team is having the game of his life; stop throwing it or running it right to him. Maybe the opposite happens and someone on the other team got injured. Well go after his second-rate backup, dammit. Don't keep banging your head into a wall trying to beat the other good starter(s). If Fitz is completing intermediate passes to WRs that can't be covered in his sweet spot throwing range, my God keep doing it. Don't keep trying to establish the run or try to get cute having Fitz throw 20-30 yards downfield to Smith on 3rd & short.

I hope it was just nerves, where he didn't believe enough in his gut to change his plan on a dime, and that improves with experience and time. Because the alternative is that he's incapable of doing so without a committee of coaches and hours/days to plan it out. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it's the former; it's certainly what I want to believe.

Also I want him to have legitimate competitions, not shams where his favorites can't lose the jobs they never had to earn (with this coach on this team) in the first place.

5 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Sorry everyone must get so emotional with me. But there is plenty of fact in what I posted, whether you like it or not. Bowles is a rookie HC and it most certainly showed. In regards to motivation of players though, he sucks and I think it's rather obvious. When you have players admitting to "loafing around" there's obviously a problem at the top. But the worst of it all is, losing to Rex Ryan of all people. All Jets fans new arch nemesis. I have to imagine that pisses all Jets fans off to no end?

Let's not forget: the last HC that took the Jets to 10-6 from 4-12 got the nickname "Mangenious"

Good rookie season for Bowles, plus he made coaching changes to hopefully improve Special teams, here are my top three opportunities for 2016;

Take the points - while it is fun to watch the team go for it, the momentum swing when they fail is usually not worth the risk (unless you are out of time and a TD is needed to win the game)

Don't outsmart yourself - when you have to go for it, call a play that has worked all day, execute, no need for tricks

Start strong - second half adjustments were good but slow starts doomed a few games last year, better game planning should come with time

Archived