Bills cut Mario Williams

Jetsfan80

he's been an overrated player for many years, he's a good player on bad teams.  only cares about his stats.  Marshall was the same way though so there's hope but he needs to buy in like Marshall did and he can be a key guy for some team but I'd never give that guy a big contract.  

Come on junc, he had a great run in Houston but he never lived up to his salary in Buffalo.

There is no way he is overrated as a player.

Some team out there will get a very good player for the next 2 years.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Williams is a tempting fantasy. You think he'd accept the sales pitch: "You can show Rex how effective his "genius defensive schemes" help the Bills offense from stopping you in NOT crushing Tyrod Taylor multiple times  TWICE A YEAR!"

14 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Come on junc, he had a great run in Houston but he never lived up to his salary in Buffalo.

There is no way he is overrated as a player.

Some team out there will get a very good player for the next 2 years.

I disagree, I actually think he was better in Buffalo than Houston but he's one of those guys that is really good w/ nothing on the line.  I want players that make plays in big moments, in big games and he's not that type of player- or he hasn't been.  He has that ability obviously.

My biggest concern is that a potential suitor for Mo decides that Mario could fill that slot for them for half the cost, way less than half the long-term guarantees, and without coughing up a 1st-2nd round draft pick. Sure Mo is better but he would fill the same position and he still has a name.

Of course Mario's availability might have no effect on someone's offer for Mo, but it sure isn't going to help any.

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

My biggest concern is that a potential suitor for Mo decides that Mario could fill that slot for them for half the cost, way less than half the long-term guarantees, and without coughing up a 1st-2nd round draft pick. Sure Mo is better but he would fill the same position and he still has a name.

Of course Mario's availability might have no effect on someone's offer for Mo, but it sure isn't going to help any.

the 12 kids coming out in the first round are a much bigger problem imho

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

How good do you think the market for Mo really is?  Teams want edge rushers which he is not plus he just broke his leg.  I know broken legs heal but if I'm a GM do I want to offer a package of picks and a $60 million contract for a guy who just broke his leg?

The Jags I suppose might give us something since they have $75 million in cap room but their first round pick?  I dunno.

How good do you think the market for Mo really is?  Teams want edge rushers which he is not plus he just broke his leg.  I know broken legs heal but if I'm a GM do I want to offer a package of picks and a $60 million contract for a guy who just broke his leg?

The Jags I suppose might give us something since they have $75 million in cap room but their first round pick?  I dunno.

If Jags are interested I don't expect their first is on offer. Maybe seeing this year and a pick next year, at best.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

If Jags are interested I don't expect their first is on offer. Maybe seeing this year and a pick next year, at best.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

That should have read ""Maybe second this year and a pick next year". Edit button doesn't seem to be available ...

Are all the people begging to sign Mario aware that the reason he was a minimum effort providing malcontent last season is because he had no interest in playing outside linebacker in a 3-4?

After ten years in the scheme, you would think Jets fans know how the damn thing works. Then, again, it's seemed like the Jets don't really know for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Are all the people begging to sign Mario aware that the reason he was a minimum effort providing malcontent last season is because he had no interest in playing outside linebacker in a 3-4?

After ten years in the scheme, you would think Jets fans know how the damn thing works. Then, again, it's seemed like the Jets don't really know for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He certainly had no interest in dropping into coverage. if you're just going to line him up at 3-4 OLB and tell him to rush the QB every time, I think he'd be perfectly fine with that.

14 hours ago, Larz said:

the 12 kids coming out in the first round are a much bigger problem imho

Yes and no. Depends on the team. If it's a team that thinks they have a winner right now - in particular a winner within a narrow window right now - they need a 100% sure thing right now in 2016, not someone with a 50-80% chance of success somewhere between 2016 and 2019. Injury aside, since that's a constant that can affect rookies and veterans alike, they know what each of these veteran guys can/will do against NFL talent. Rookies can bust, no matter how much anyone feels "not this guy" -- yes, several "this guy"s can be NFL busts no matter how good they look pre-draft.

For a building team who still thinks they're a couple of years away? Yes I'd agree they wouldn't be looking at Mario in the first place. Few teams that far away (i.e. ones who aren't good and who still need a QB) would be willing to trade their #1 or high #2 pick on a $16M/year DE anyway. But among those who think they're now or "a year away" teams (which is or should be most GMs) the idea of Mario for half the money, where they still get to keep & use all their draft picks on other positions, will be more than just an afterthought. 

Point being, it doesn't help us any.

12 hours ago, drdetroit said:

The Jags aren't giving up their first round pick for Mo. They might swap first rounders with us for Mo, if their interest in him is that high, but that's the only way we'd possibly get their 1st round pick (#5 overall). More likely they'd give up their #2.

And like I responded to Larz above, it doesn't kill the market for Mo because they're not the same player today and not the same age (injury aside). My point was that it doesn't help any because all we need is 1 team to make us a top offer and it's possible that the team that eventually signs Mario might have otherwise been interested in trading for Mo. Not to mention, talented and good as both are and have been, I wouldn't classify either of them as typical "edge rushers" in the first place. That's not the #1 value with either of them. 

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He played for Rex in 2013? who knew!

played for Pettine, same D.  Williams has all the talent in the world but I learned everything I need to know about him this.  w/ his first real chance at postseason he was complaining while the team was winning that he didn't have enough sacks.

21 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Hey, that's all you need to know right there.  The Bills asked him to drop in to coverage anywhere from 1-2 times per game.  How was he supposed to stay motivated?

That was pretty terrible to watch.  Stopping mid play?

On 3/1/2016 at 4:49 PM, joewilly12 said:

Super Mario can be the answer to our pass rusher need. 

I'm not so sure about that....looks like he quit by week 2 this season because he was asked to drop back once or twice a game.  

No wonder he offered to take a pay cut to stay last week, he must know other GM's are gonna' watch this film.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25503327/after-further-review-heres-the-proof-that-mario-williams-quit-on-bills

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Pats, Giants, Raiders, Jaguars, whoever else will get him, but Williams would be sweeet for this defense. I think he has another half decade in the tank ala Peppers.

he hasn't had a half decade of top play so far, how would he have another?

btw, $7 million in dead money is really insane.  they basically cut a former star pass rusher to save money to franchise a LT, and in the process handcuffed themselves  from bringing in the equivalent of a starter

lol

On March 2, 2016 at 8:00 AM, jamesr said:

He certainly had no interest in dropping into coverage. if you're just going to line him up at 3-4 OLB and tell him to rush the QB every time, I think he'd be perfectly fine with that.

He only dropped back about 4% of the snaps.  In his career, he's dropped back about 2% of the time.

He's an a$$hole who is either on the downside or just took the year off.

9 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Think about this one.  Think hard.  You'll get it.

Well we all know that two coaches always play the exact same system and do things exactly the same way and handle their players exactly the same way if they come from the same coaching tree don't we? 

Archived