Will Jets make the Bills mistake years later?

Jetster

Are we being held hostage by Ryan Fitzpatrick? Think about what we're saying. Going into last season he was a backup journeyman bouncing around 6 teams, now? He's the NY Jets only hope,lol. 

If that doesn't tell you bad the QB situation in the NFL is what does? I don't know about you guys but our schedule isn't the light weight it was last year. Listen, I like Fitzy, he's tough gutsy, but let's be serious, did he even once hit someone in stride without the WR having to make a highlight catch? This offseason is huge for the future of this team and as a long time Jet fan I'm praying that Mac & Bowles stick to their guns on what they feel Fitz is worth. 

Don't make a mistake like the Bills did years ago & overpay this guy to go 8-8. That's what will happen if we have no cap money to fill any other holes. If we don't sign Fitz it's because Mac is thinking about our future, not just next year and I'll be supporting that decision. At 1st I didn't want to go to 8 million but I'm sure that unrealistic, but going over 10 would just be insane, the thought that the Patriots are paying Tom Brady, 9 in 2016 & 10 in 2017 makes me want to hurl! Say hello to the 2016 & 2017 AFC East winners again Jet fans.

I don't think we are, I have to believe he is smart enough to know he is in the perfect system.  he will get a fair deal from us, probably overpaying a little bit based on the market but we cannot sign him to a long term deal.  that would be crazy.

the Bills didn't overpay him to go 8-8, he never won more than 6 games prior to this season.  

as long as Brady is playing and healthy NE will win the division.

Fair points except the elephant in the room.  If not Fitz;

Who is the jets QB next year, how much will he cost, how many years do we have to commit to him, are we prepared to have a worse QB situation and have no hope for a reasonable year?

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Who is the jets QB next year, how much will he cost, how many years do we have to commit to him, are we prepared to have a worse QB situation and have no hope for a reasonable year?

I don't know the answer, I'd like Fitz back but we could have missed the playoffs this year with geno too.  he had nice #s then when we needed him to play well he fell on his face.  

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I don't know the answer, I'd like Fitz back but we could have missed the playoffs this year with geno too.  he had nice #s then when we needed him to play well he fell on his face.  

My apologies my 1st response was directed at Jetster not you so I was no taking you to task for your post.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

My apologies my 1st response was directed at Jetster not you so I was no taking you to task for your post.

no problem, I was just trying to respond to what you posted even if not directed at me.  I'm, with you- the question is who do we bring in?  I think we overpay a little b/c there's nothing out there I just hope we overpay on a short term deal not a long term deal.

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Oh, I hear ya, I don't know what the answer is but overpaying for Fitz might be as bad as starting a youngster. Our roster needs help at ILB, OLB, RT, our LT & Center are getting old and our special teams were one of the worst in the league.

Fitz struggled without a RB out of the backfield. Marshall & Decker bailed him out NUMEROUS TIMES on bad throws. Just seems that every year this team gets held hostage. Mac just came from Houston last year so he knows the importance of the QB. Fitz is a stopgap MAYBE we make the playoffs QB. You just can't overpay for that.

44 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I don't think we are, I have to believe he is smart enough to know he is in the perfect system.  he will get a fair deal from us, probably overpaying a little bit based on the market but we cannot sign him to a long term deal.  that would be crazy.

the Bills didn't overpay him to go 8-8, he never won more than 6 games prior to this season.  

as long as Brady is playing and healthy NE will win the division.

That's true, Bills paid Fitz $59M to go 6-10 twice, following a 4-12 season. All three seasons were with Gailey.

Fitz is primarily a Harvard Economics expert; QBing is only his hobby.

The rest of the team has to improve.

Fitz could repeat his dream 2015 season, but the Jets won't finish 11-5 if the team is weak in other areas. Ironically enough, Fitz will get most of the blame for this and the front office will get criticized for extending him.

If Fitz wants 11 million or more I say let Geno and Petty duke it out for who starts. 

I am not a secret Geno fan nor one who knows if Petty is even remotely ready but under no circumstance should we overpay Fitz to remain with the Jets.  

We and Fitz have to be realistic even with him having a career year and Marshall breaking all kinds of records the Jets failed to reach the post season.  They failed.  Period. 

41 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

The rest of the team has to improve.

Fitz could repeat his dream 2015 season, but the Jets won't finish 11-5 if the team is weak in other areas. Ironically enough, Fitz will get most of the blame for this and the front office will get criticized for extending him.

our offense was loaded last year, Fitz played well(until the biggest game of the year) but I wouldn't call it a dream season the way it ended.

40 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

If Fitz wants 11 million or more I say let Geno and Petty duke it out for who starts. 

I am not a secret Geno fan nor one who knows if Petty is even remotely ready but under no circumstance should we overpay Fitz to remain with the Jets.  

We and Fitz have to be realistic even with him having a career year and Marshall breaking all kinds of records the Jets failed to reach the post season.  They failed.  Period. 

I don't want any part of Geno/Petty.

Petty didn't even look good last preseason facing scrubs.

If Fitz ends up looking for crazy money it definitely puts a wrench in things.

Plan B, right now would have to be, bring in a new guy on a team friendly deal and look to the draft. Four qbs compete for three spots.

That being said, I have a hard time seeing him sign elsewhere.

Houston let him go ... Are they going to admit they made a mistake & give him a good deal now? Doubtful

talk about LA Rams offering Manning a deal

Chip Kelly isn't going to want him over Kaep in SF

who does that leave to even give him lowball starting QB $$$ ?

Cleveland? I think the thought process there is to have the rookie start from day 1 right?

appears that our FO is not going to bid against itself ... Let's see how this turns out

15 minutes ago, ljr said:

Houston let him go ... Are they going to admit they made a mistake & give him a good deal now? Doubtful

talk about LA Rams offering Manning a deal

Chip Kelly isn't going to want him over Kaep in SF

who does that leave to even give him lowball starting QB $$$ ?

Cleveland? I think the thought process there is to have the rookie start from day 1 right?

appears that our FO is not going to bid against itself ... Let's see how this turns out

Maybe Dallas as a legit backup for Romo but they have cap issues too, not sure they could compete with a reasonable offer from the Jets, let this one play out

1 hour ago, the Claw said:

If Fitz ends up looking for crazy money it definitely puts a wrench in things.

Plan B, right now would have to be, bring in a new guy on a team friendly deal and look to the draft. Four qbs compete for three spots.

That being said, I have a hard time seeing him sign elsewhere.

Welcome to the board.

3 hours ago, drdetroit said:

See if we can get Fitz back for reasonable money.  If not then might as well trade a mid round pick for Kaepernick 

Do you want to trade for this contract? 

I thought Fitz had accuracy problems.... Kap can't hit the side of a barn.

Contracted Players

Player
(62 total)
Base Salary
(Guaranteed)
Bonuses Cap
Number

Dead Money & Cap Savings
Prorated Roster Workout Other
Colin Kaepernick $11,900,000 $2,465,753 $2,000,000 $400,000 $0 $15,890,753

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

They are going to massively over pay osweiller.

They didn't franchise him, did they.  They could get outbid for the younger, more promising QB.

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Are we being held hostage by Ryan Fitzpatrick? Think about what we're saying. Going into last season he was a backup journeyman bouncing around 6 teams, now? He's the NY Jets only hope,lol. 

If that doesn't tell you bad the QB situation in the NFL is what does? I don't know about you guys but our schedule isn't the light weight it was last year. Listen, I like Fitzy, he's tough gutsy, but let's be serious, did he even once hit someone in stride without the WR having to make a highlight catch? This offseason is huge for the future of this team and as a long time Jet fan I'm praying that Mac & Bowles stick to their guns on what they feel Fitz is worth. 

Don't make a mistake like the Bills did years ago & overpay this guy to go 8-8. That's what will happen if we have no cap money to fill any other holes. If we don't sign Fitz it's because Mac is thinking about our future, not just next year and I'll be supporting that decision. At 1st I didn't want to go to 8 million but I'm sure that unrealistic, but going over 10 would just be insane, the thought that the Patriots are paying Tom Brady, 9 in 2016 & 10 in 2017 makes me want to hurl! Say hello to the 2016 & 2017 AFC East winners again Jet fans.

So you think that Fitz is the same guy, same QB he was when with the Bills?  That he played this past season like he did with the Bills.  That the situations are the same.  

But mostly what you are saying is that signing Fitz is a mistake that will hurt the team.

How is this thread different that the countless others that debate whether he should be signed and at what cost threads

As I have stated in other posts, Fitz is a hold the fort backup. That what he was hired for and in the end that is all he will be.

Paying him large dollars and keeping him under center is just delaying the inevitable. An I like Fitzy, thought he did okay playing a very easy schedule. Next season not going to be so easy. Defenses have figured out how to beat the Jets with Fitz under center.

I don't know what the answer is, but I can tell you, long term, it not Fitz.

Personally I would rather have two poor seasons while a youngster gets up to speed, be it a new rookie or Petty or even Geno , if he can finally step up. Then to play Fitz as our starter for two years of 9 or 10 wins if we are lucky, and watch the Pats take the division both years again. An then have to begin this whole damn process all over again.

Archived