If no Fitz, then who?

jgb

If team loses Fitz  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who starts?

I am a huge Petty supporter, and I chose him.  However, if there was an option of who ever wins the competition between Geno/Bryce/FA, I would chose that.  Which, IMO, would wind up being Petty anyway.  

23 minutes ago, hawk said:

I am a huge Petty supporter, and I chose him.  However, if there was an option of who ever wins the competition between Geno/Bryce/FA, I would chose that.  Which, IMO, would wind up being Petty anyway.  

I like the enthusiasm and would love to share it. What are you basing your optimism on? His college career? Which is fine, I'm just curious.

you people all seem to forget that fitz was acquired via trade last year, so it all depends if the jets can get a QB for the right price. I think on paper trade is probably the best move, considering the alternatives are overpaying fitz or starting a rookie next year. if kaepernick comes up? I'd probably take it and give gailey a shot at coaching this kid up

19 minutes ago, cant wait said:

you people all seem to forget that fitz was acquired via trade last year, so it all depends if the jets can get a QB for the right price. I think on paper trade is probably the best move, considering the alternatives are overpaying fitz or starting a rookie next year. if kaepernick comes up? I'd probably take it and give gailey a shot at coaching this kid up

Kaepernicks cap charge for 2016 is $15.8M.

I don't mention this to suggest it won't happen.  But that his cap charge being so similar to Wilkerson's means we might see some creative movement between the two teams being that we might lose our starting QB, SF has significant cap room, and a young probowlish DE might be just what the doctor ordered for that defense of theirs.  

The guy that wins the wide open QB competition in training camp. Lets the chips fall where they may with Bryce Petty, Geno and whomever else is on the team at that time fighting it out. May the best man win.

Short of allowing the Jets to way overpay a DE and a QB in the same season, that's the only option I can see. Because paying 2 years 36 million to Fitz is completely out of the question.

6 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Chase Daniel

The man who is nearly 30 and has thrown about 80 passes in his entire career? No thanks. Would rather see what Petty could do. If this guy was a capable starter in this league, he would have at least been given that chance by now. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The man who is nearly 30 and has thrown about 80 passes in his entire career? No thanks. Would rather see what Petty could do. If this guy was a capable starter in this league, he would have at least been given that chance by now. 

Trent Green was a guy who hung around the league as a backup for years before getting a chance to start. 

I think he isn't the best option, but an option nonetheless. 

I chose Petty, but only assuming that he actually wins the job in camp.

If Fitz doesn't come back, I say we start looking to the longer-term future at QB, rather than another one year stop gap. I don't see Geno as the future, he's in the last year of his deal. (Wouldn't it be typical if he did start, played really well for at least part of the season, and put us in a Kirk Cousins style bind for 2017? ;-) ).

8 hours ago, jgb said:

I like the enthusiasm and would love to share it. What are you basing your optimism on? His college career? Which is fine, I'm just curious.

It certainly started from watching him in college, but it is more than just the absurd statistics in a gimmicky college system.  The kid shows poise on the field, has a nice quick high release, nice strong arm with tremendous ball placement, and keeps his eyes down field under pressure.  I would fully expect that he will make mistakes as a first year starter, especially under pressure, but the kid seems to have natural leadership skills.  That said, it is impossible to know where he is mentally, and how he takes to coaching.

However, I would not hand him the job, he would have to take it away.  Came across this feel good story last night....

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/08/17/bryce-petty-baylor-bears

Archived