the longer this goes on the less i want Fitz

MetsJets1962

WTF are you talking about?

All I said is Geno isn't playing for the Jets again.  You're so hell bent on scaring people into loving Fitz that you'll argue for Geno, that he will be the QB if we don't bend over and bow to Fitz demands.  Newsflash, Fitz maybe good enough to start over Geno but he isnt good enough to make the demands hes making.  No one wants him at his asking price.  

What kind of response is prove it to any of this?  

Thanks for admitting I have the power to influence who our QB is next year. Finally someone gives me the credit I deserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

NO, Fitz and his agent are looking at the contract of a much younger QB, one who a team is gambling will improve and provide stability for years to their organization and thinking at 33 hes in a similar situation.

Or theyre thinking if another team fu(ks up the Jets have to pony up to the same level of some clueless org.  Because.  No other reason.

Eh?  Fitzpatrick just had a year with over 30 tds, a 10-6 record and had a great year.  He's looking at Sam Bradford and Brock osweiler and all the other over priced QBs and since he is a free agent, and since this may be his last contract he's trying to get max value, as he should.  It doesn't mean anyone is going to pay him that.

52 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Wanting to 'move on' becasue one is impatient with a guy who is bargaining for a new contract is silly and just the thing bad front offices do.  Get mad and let that get in the way with running a team.  It's all about business right now.  Fitzpatrick and his agent are looking at the idiotic insane deals being handed out to QB's in this league and saying, 'hey we deserve to be in that ball park.'  The jets and other teams are rightly saying 'Just because other teams are dumbasses doesn't mean we will be.'

At some point in time party A or B will decided it is time to commit to a course of action one way or the other.  The big domino in all of this is Kaepernick, once he goes or stays in SF for sure the market will be more clear.

fitzpatrick is a smart man. he knows that his best chance at success is with the jets. after osweiler was signed, it basically makes fitz the next best available fa. now i doubt fitz gets anywhere near his suppossed asking price, but if he can screeze an extra 1m-2m per from the jets, his agent did his job

And this is pointless analogy.

You want to convince yourself that it has anything to do with the conversation but we're not buying it.  Geno playing QB here isnt anywhere close to the same odds as the sun rising.

If we are debating degrees, we agree on concept. Thanks for your endorsement.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Thanks for admitting I have the power to influence who our QB is next year. Finally someone gives me the credit I deserve.

Yeah, thats what I admitted.  

No wonder you love Fitz, both of you have an overinflated opinion of yourselves. lol

As much as I like Fitz and appreciate what he did last season, he still came up very small against Buffalo and that is hurting him in these negotiations. Mac and Bowles can say what they want about that not being the case, but they feel that what he is asking for is vastly overpaying and I agree. I would go no higher than three years 27-million with 15 guaranteed. If he walks he walks. I don't think RGIII is the answer either, nor is Geno Smith - they are basically the same guy - both are talented and show well in practice and warmups but when the bullets start flying the duck and dodge rather than stand tall.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Eh?  Fitzpatrick just had a year with over 30 tds, a 10-6 record and had a great year.  He's looking at Sam Bradford and Brock osweiler and all the other over priced QBs and since he is a free agent, and since this may be his last contract he's trying to get max value, as he should.  It doesn't mean anyone is going to pay him that.

As i said.  If those teams made a mistake, who says the Jets HAVE to make the same mistake and pay out on their level?

And both those QBs are younger.  Their teams plan to have each as their QBs for years.  Fitz is a stop gap QB bridging us to his replacement.  Two completely different scenarios.  If Fitz at his age and his abilities were worth what he was asking, not what the Jets are offering, Denver or another team would have signed him by now.  Good FA QBs asking what theyre worth dont last on the FA market

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

As i said.  If those teams made a mistake, who says the Jets HAVE to make the same mistake and pay out on their level?

And both those QBs are younger.  Their teams plan to have each as their QBs for years.  Fitz is a stop gap QB bridging us to his replacement.  Two completely different scenarios.  If Fitz at his age and his abilities were worth what he was asking, not what the Jets are offering, Denver or another team would have signed him by now.  Good FA QBs asking what theyre worth dont last on the FA market

I have no idea what you are saying and I believe you did not ready my original post that you quoted.  Go back and read it.

15 minutes ago, slats said:

The other factor in Fitz's success last season was unusually mild weather. It wasn't windy or cold pretty much until the last game of the season - when he laid a massive egg. His obvious physical limitation gets seriously exposed in a good fall breeze. I'm glad the team recognizes it, and it would seem the entire league does, too. The man is a stopgap/backup, and should be paid accordingly. 

Right. You can't use the wind as an excuse in week 17 and say it was just bad luck/timing because it magnified Fitz's weaknesses. That's part of the point.

Later in the season you get bad weather. Particularly in the playoffs, where we can expect outdoor teams like Denver, New England, Pittsburgh to be among the AFC playoff teams we have to beat to reach SB. Or Baltimore is usually in the mix as well. While their weather's usually better than up here, winter is still winter. Even if we managed to secure home field advantage against any playoff teams, that doesn't make it easier weather-wise. The weather up here sucks plenty.

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Welcome to the real world. Someone will play QB for the Jets. If not Fitz, the most likely candidate is Geno. They are inexorably linked whether your sensitive eyes can stomach reading about it or not. 

If not Fitz, it's wide open. The coach was talking openly about giving Petty a chance to overtake Geno as the primary backup, without Fitz you'd have to figure that Petty and Geno would battle for the starting job. RGIII is out there. Kaep could be traded for, or could get cut before his salary is guaranteed this year. They could pick up Hoyer, who they liked better than Fitz last year, only settling on trading for Fitz after Hoyer signed with the Texans. I'm sure there are a number of other vets not on my limited radar that they're evaluating as well. They could draft a QB in the first or second round this year and Throw him into the fire. 

I'm not sensing any love from Bowles towards Geno at all. Can't imagine that Geno would really be his first choice to start this season. 

Look  this is just business. And it will be settled probably this week. Just speaking for myself I want him back. I don't care what he makes but as usual I'd like to see the Jets org make a good deal.  Fitz gives us our best chance to win in 2016. 

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So you sit up at nights and worry that because there is no actual proof that he wont play again it means he will. 

Of course by editing what I wrote you also left out the part where I said unless he has proven to the CS that he can play, that he's the best option.  

I don't sit up at nights about anything to do with the NY Jets.  I have far more important worries in my life.

I left out your second portion because it was so blatantly obvious it really didn't need repeated.

Point is, Geno remains on the team, and is the only QB on the team today who has ever played in an NFL game.  It is perfectly plausible, even if unlikely, that he is our starting QB in 2016.  That was no need to be so dismissive of that fact.

You've become, IMO, a very hostile poster Nut.  You were always aggressive, but now every post reads like you're reading dialog for some leather clad biker pissed at the world and rebel'ing against "whatever you got!"

You may want to consider relaxing some.  

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look  this is just business. And it will be settled probably this week. Just speaking for myself I want him back. I don't care what he makes but as usual I'd like to see the Jets org make a good deal.  Fitz gives us our best chance to win in 2016. 

I'm willing to wait as long as possible, because no one will sign him, and his price will continue to go down. We got him by the balls 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

We also have no proof he WON'T play QB here again.

Right now, today, he is the only QB on the Roster with NFL experience.  While that can change of course, and almost surely will, presuming Geno Smith will not get a chance is premature.

Will he get a chance? Unless they sign a bonafide starter, he'll most certainly get a chance. But again, big difference between merely getting a chance and being the most likely option. 

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't sit up at nights about anything to do with the NY Jets.  I have far more important worries in my life.

I left out your second portion because it was so blatantly obvious it really didn't need repeated.

Point is, Geno remains on the team, and is the only QB on the team today who has ever played in an NFL game.  It is perfectly plausible, even if unlikely, that he is our starting QB in 2016.  That was no need to be so dismissive of that fact.

You've become, IMO, a very hostile poster Nut.  You were always aggressive, but now every post reads like you're reading dialog for some leather clad biker pissed at the world and rebel'ing against "whatever you got!"

You may want to consider relaxing some.  

I have told him that also Fish he's a different guy from the way he was on JI that's for sure..:wacko:

11 minutes ago, slats said:

If not Fitz, it's wide open. The coach was talking openly about giving Petty a chance to overtake Geno as the primary backup, without Fitz you'd have to figure that Petty and Geno would battle for the starting job. RGIII is out there. Kaep could be traded for, or could get cut before his salary is guaranteed this year. They could pick up Hoyer, who they liked better than Fitz last year, only settling on trading for Fitz after Hoyer signed with the Texans. I'm sure there are a number of other vets not on my limited radar that they're evaluating as well. They could draft a QB in the first or second round this year and Throw him into the fire. 

I'm not sensing any love from Bowles towards Geno at all. Can't imagine that Geno would really be his first choice to start this season. 

A slight chance is too much of a chance. I believe the chance is greater than slight, but even if you're right, I want to hammer the chance Geno takes a snap for the Jets again down to 0%.

25 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

As much as I like Fitz and appreciate what he did last season, he still came up very small against Buffalo and that is hurting him in these negotiations. Mac and Bowles can say what they want about that not being the case, but they feel that what he is asking for is vastly overpaying and I agree. I would go no higher than three years 27-million with 15 guaranteed. If he walks he walks. I don't think RGIII is the answer either, nor is Geno Smith - they are basically the same guy - both are talented and show well in practice and warmups but when the bullets start flying the duck and dodge rather than stand tall.

Don't compare Geno with RG3 who was a Rookie of the Year and came on the scene like a character in a new Star Wars movie.  He may not be as 'flashy' as he was but I'd still take him in a heartbeat over Geno.  

35 minutes ago, slats said:

The other factor in Fitz's success last season was unusually mild weather. It wasn't windy or cold pretty much until the last game of the season - when he laid a massive egg. His obvious physical limitation gets seriously exposed in a good fall breeze. I'm glad the team recognizes it, and it would seem the entire league does, too. The man is a stopgap/backup, and should be paid accordingly. 

Fitz laid a massive Egg ?? No, the team laid a massive egg. Dropping numerous passes and playing like the game meant nothing to them. This was NOT on Fitz and he was put in a near impossible situation at the end of the game to try and comeback into the wind ... Just to be clear NO QB does well throwing into the wind NONE to say they do is bullsh*t. The witch hunt on a QB who played better than anything we have had for the last 40 years needs to stop .

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Fitz laid a massive Egg ?? No, the team laid a massive egg. Dropping numerous passes and playing like the game meant nothing to them. This was NOT on Fitz and he was put in a near impossible situation at the end of the game to try and comeback into the wind ... Just to be clear NO QB does well throwing into the wind NONE to say they do is bullsh*t. The witch hunt on a QB who played better than anything we have had for the last 40 years needs to stop .

Fitzpatrick had the weakest arm of any starting QB in the NFL last year. 

agree with the OP. 

The longer Fitz and his agent is being stubborn, the more I want to tell him to take a hike. 

I have no problem with him going out to get a top salary, but once it became clear he's not getting offered a top salary from anyone, he should just come down on his demands and get a deal done with the Jets. Waiting this out makes his leverage go away. Money is drying up as we speak. If no one is willing to give him 10+ mil a year at the beginning of FA, what makes them think he can get that 2, 4, 6 weeks into FA when teams are spending money filling other holes on their roster? 

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Actually, that was the SB winning QB.

I'd strongly disagree, but it's funny that the only player you could come up with who possibly had a weaker arm is a 39 year old retiree. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I'd strongly disagree, but it's funny that the only player you could come up with who possibly had a weaker arm is a 39 year old retiree. 

Only one? You said Fitz had weakest arm. I disagree and said I think Peyton did. Never said only Peyton was weaker than Fitz. Besides let's assume you are right. Geno couldn't even seize the job back from the weakest arm in NFL with a broken hand. Wow. That's one heckuva indictment and really proves my point. So thanks!

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Fitzpatrick had the weakest arm of any starting QB in the NFL last year. 

that's more bullsh*t. In the beginning of the season he had issues with a weak lower body coming off a broken leg which it takes a good amount of time for those muscles to get their strength back go ahead tell me the legs play no part like Im excpecting some idiots to argue. As he regained his strength his arm started to improve Fitz does not have a great arm but he also does not have a bad arm either. Idiots on this board said he could not throw a deep ball then he was throwing more deep balls than we have seen in years some going 55 yards in the air which is the norm in the NFL for a deep pass. If you have to throw it deeper than that you waited too long . The bullsh*t I read on these forums is starting to make them unreadable some people just don't like Fitz so they start making sh*t up to support the idiotic argument. If the ******* Jets didn't want Fitz then they should not be signing post 30 year old players especially at the RB position but they are and any one who thinks this is for Moron Geno should really take a step back and stick to golf or tennis not football.

31 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Is it a lack of alternatives to talk about, or you guys really that invested in Fitz.

Either he signs or he doesn't. Accept both outcomes and move on.

The big issue at this point is if not him who?  And we have as big of a divide on this as we do on Fitz himself.

Some people love Kaep, others hate him, some think RG3 could be good, others feel he is a dog.  Geno is a topic unto himself becasue we really don't know what our front office truly thinks of him.

My own opinions?  Fitz will most likely resign with the the Jets, or retire if he is stubborn about it.

Kaep is and never was a real alternative for the Jets.

The Jets don't like Geno and will get rid of him as soon as they sign another guy and draft a new guy.

Petty is indeed a guy the will try and develop but they will keep him on the bench of in the press box for another year at least.

They will draft a Qb and ill take one at 20 if one of the top 3 guys falls there.

Beerfish will become ill if they trade for Hoyer.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:51 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Dont let that be a convincing factor though. Big Marsh is just that type of guy. I remember Cutler being a brother from another mother, then I remember him having a hand in the trade to NY because he actually wanted to play with Geno Smith, now Fitzpatrick is the greatest thing ever. 

Marshall will move on just like this fanbase. 

we'll se what happens if Geno is at the Helm and Marsh has 70 catches

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

that's more bullsh*t. In the beginning of the season he had issues with a weak lower body coming off a broken leg which it takes a good amount of time for those muscles to get their strength back go ahead tell me the legs play no part like Im excpecting some idiots to argue. As he regained his strength his arm started to improve Fitz does not have a great arm but he also does not have a bad arm either. Idiots on this board said he could not throw a deep ball then he was throwing more deep balls than we have seen in years some going 55 yards in the air which is the norm in the NFL for a deep pass. If you have to throw it deeper than that you waited too long . The bullsh*t I read on these forums is starting to make them unreadable some people just don't like Fitz so they start making sh*t up to support the idiotic argument. If the ******* Jets didn't want Fitz then they should not be signing post 30 year old players especially at the RB position but they are and any one who thinks this is for Moron Geno should really take a step back and stick to golf or tennis not football.

I like Fitz, I just don't love him. I don't know what his asking price is right now, but no one in the league is remotely interested in him at that price for a very good reason: he has a very sub-par NFL arm. If he threw a football 55 yards in the air (something I seriously doubt), I'd love to see the video of that rainbow. Chad Pennington's arm was more impressive. 

The big issue at this point is if not him who?  And we have as big of a divide on this as we do on Fitz himself.

Some people love Kaep, others hate him, some think RG3 could be good, others feel he is a dog.  Geno is a topic unto himself becasue we really don't know what our front office truly thinks of him.

My own opinions?  Fitz will most likely resign with the the Jets, or retire if he is stubborn about it.

Kaep is and never was a real alternative for the Jets.

The Jets don't like Geno and will get rid of him as soon as they sign another guy and draft a new guy.

Petty is indeed a guy the will try and develop but they will keep him on the bench of in the press box for another year at least.

They will draft a Qb and ill take one at 20 if one of the top 3 guys falls there.

Beerfish will become ill if they trade for Hoyer.

Maybe I'm reading into this wrong, but the fact that we haven't signed anyone tells me the FO's agenda is to draft the heir. If they were unsure of that fact, I think we would have seen some closure to this "signing ____" fiasco by now.

They're not over spending or over committing to anyone that in reality is not going to be a key cog in 2017.

As for Geno. He's a topic unto himself, but if they didn't see any value to having him as a backup at least, he'd be gone already. He's going to have to revalidate himself vs Petty this summer however.

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Maybe I'm reading into this wrong, but the fact that we haven't signed anyone tells me the FO's agenda is to draft the heir. If they were unsure of that fact, I think we would have seen some closure to this "signing ____" fiasco by now.

They're not over spending or over committing to anyone that in reality is not going to be a key cog in 2017.

As for Geno. He's a topic unto himself, but if they didn't see any value to having him as a backup at least, he'd be gone already. He's going to have to revalidate himself vs Petty this summer however.

i think you are, a little bit. if the jets front office is worth their salt, they should be looking to draft a franchise qb, either this year or next. they are not making a move on fitz, because there is no need to right now. kaep is the deciding factor. once he is either traded or teams give up, they will move onto fitz. once the jets establish what another team will offer fitz, then they will make their move and sign fitz which is thier goal all along. if no serious offer is made to fitz by another team, then the jets will sign him for their original offer. if their is a serious offer, the jets will adjust accordingly. nobody is throwing 15m at fitz. i am thinking,maybe, some team throws something like 12m at fitz, the jets counter within stricking distance, and fitz signs where he knows he has the best chance at success. the jets get their competant, hold the fort guy for 2 years, cuttable after 3. hopefully that is enough time for the "new guy" to take over

i think you are, a little bit. if the jets front office is worth their salt, they should be looking to draft a franchise qb, either this year or next. they are not making a move on fitz, because there is no need to right now. kaep is the deciding factor. once he is either traded or teams give up, they will move onto fitz. once the jets establish what another team will offer fitz, then they will make their move and sign fitz which is thier goal all along. if no serious offer is made to fitz by another team, then the jets will sign him for their original offer. if their is a serious offer, the jets will adjust accordingly. nobody is throwing 15m at fitz. i am thinking,maybe, some team throws something like 12m at fitz, the jets counter within stricking distance, and fitz signs where he knows he has the best chance at success. the jets get their competant, hold the fort guy for 2 years, cuttable after 3. hopefully that is enough time for the "new guy" to take over

Yea that's exactly what I'm saying. Different language, same story. Fitz is the desired place holder but he IS a place holder and will be paid/handled as one. Fitz 's agent isn't fooling anyone into forgetting 10 years of mediocrity

Just now, Paradis said:

Yea that's exactly what I'm saying. Different language, same story. Fitz is the desired place holder but he IS a place holder and will be paid/handled as one. Fitz 's agent isn't fooling anyone into forgetting 10 years of mediocrity

anyone looking to sign fitz, imo, will pay more than a top back up qb, but not as much as a starter. and i dont think anyone is looking to sign fitz for more than 2 real contract years. he is year to year after that. paying fitz a coupla more dollars than maybe he is worth is worth it if he is your best option and you really only want him for 2 years. i am pretty confident that fitzpatrick will be the day 1 starter for the jets

Throwing the football 55 yards has nothing to do with arm strength. High School QB's can do that.

How was Fitz's arm strength in the 1st and 4th quarters in Buffalo when he had to throw into the wind?

Oh yea, the Jets had no passing game whatsoever.

Archived