Report: Jets Offer to Fitz at $12 Million in First Year of 3-Year/$24M Deal

JetNation

28 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I think when a guy like Rapoport piggy back's on a tweet with a dollar amount and tells everyone how long that offer has been on the table, he's confirming it.  Just my opinion of course.

Just my opinion too. But these same reporters jumped on the 7 mil story, too. So I have have my doubts. It sounds too reasonable to be true. Like maybe someone made it up. On the other hand. Maybe the Jets leaked it.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Jets scandals:

Trippygate

Tampergate

Spygate

Inurygate

Deflategate (1992)

Like I said your really aren't very good at this.  Think Tex is giving a summer short semester for $1,000 a credit.  Ya probably need to take it.

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Rapaport didn't confirm it. Let's get our language straight. He said it came from "a source with knowledge of the situation" and confirmed the story originated with Canizzaro. It could be a legit leak coming from the Jets to countermand any bad pub they are getting esp with the Decker situation. Or it could just be like all of the other stories like the 7 mil story just a rumor. 

Your lack of grasp of how the media works is fairly evident here. Schefter and all the big names do this all the time and are correct 95% of it. They all have their sources and some of them are the same, but you shouldn't say anything unless you have in confirmed from two different sources and other outlets (Associated Press aside) don't count as a source. 

Just now, flgreen said:

Like I said your really aren't very good at this.  Think Tex is giving a summer short semester for $1,000 a credit.  Ya probably need to take it.

Aren't very good at what? Saying the truth? The Jets have committed their fair amount of cheating too. But since the NFL has a large amount of former Jets employees working for them, Brady's and the Patriots are the only ones that get pointed out.

Sad to see that you can't accept the truth, and dismiss it as trolling.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

guaranteed money is all that matters, which is more than likely the hang up

I really doubt they offered and he turned down $12 guaranteed

Agreed. Chances are the only guaranteed money is in the first year and then they're basically off the hook for the second year.  I also agree with most here that doubts will start to creep in if Maccagnan folds and over-pays beyond the first season just to get him. Fitzpatrick has absolutely zero leverage here. Soon enough he's gonna have to suck it up or risk being tossed aside.

From a brute-force search of every team at http://overthecap.com/, the player with the most guaranteed money in the NFL is (amazingly) Kirk Cousins at $19,953,000.  It's possible I made a mistake and there's someone else with a higher number but I don't think so.  Pretty sure the highest non-QB number was Von Miller at $14,129,000.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins/

Did you enjoy it when Vinny T was our QB?

Of course I did, the difference is Vinny was a starter most of his career and could throw the rock a mile and a half. I got 10 bucks that says even today he could out throw Fitz.

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Your lack of grasp of how the media works is fairly evident here. Schefter and all the big names do this all the time and are correct 95% of it. They all have their sources and some of them are the same, but you shouldn't say anything unless you have in confirmed from two different sources and other outlets (Associated Press aside) don't count as a source. 

Yeah, Fitz signing with the Jets, requires a source.  As if he or the Jets have options.  As if anyone doesn't expect him to sign here. 

Thats how this shlt works.  Jets need a QB, he's it and they'll fall over themselves trying to take credit for the inevitable news.  

Big name sources, lol

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, Fitz signing with the Jets, requires a source.  As if he or the Jets have options.  As if anyone doesn't expect him to sign here. 

Thats how this shlt works.  Jets need a QB, he's it and they'll fall over themselves trying to take credit for the inevitable news.  

Big name sources, lol

So no reporters have any sources with any teams, ever?  

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So what is it then? From these great and accurate media sources (95%) : 7, 8, 12, 16? You tell me. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

SOJ moves here, boy. Have some ******* dignity, Maccagnan.

You must be joking. Dignity? One offseason and this doofus sets the salary cap on fire and puts together the oldest roster in the league. He's football Isiah for ****'s sake. Fitzpatrick was the one thing he managed to get right, almost completely by accident, and now he's stuck paying him basically whatever he asks for or he's going to get fired.

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So no reporters have any sources with any teams, ever?  

Do that's what you got out of what I said? 

Thought I was specific about the Jets needing a QB and these clowns convincing the public that they should believe they have some inside info.  

This would be what, the 980th inside bit of info over the last few months about the Jet/Fitz/Geno whatever?  Inside info that they're not talking.  Inside info that they're far off.  Inside info that they offered 10 mil.  Haven't talked but now it's 11 mil.  Haven't talked but it's up to 12 mil. Add a year too.  

No one said ever.  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Do that's what you got out of what I said? 

Thought I was specific about the Jets needing a QB and these clowns convincing the public that they should believe they have some inside info.  

This would be what, the 980th inside bit of info over the last few months about the Jet/Fitz/Geno whatever?  Inside info that they're not talking.  Inside info that they're far off.  Inside info that they offered 10 mil.  Haven't talked but now it's 11 mil.  Haven't talked but it's up to 12 mil. Add a year too.  

No one said ever.  

Sounded like you suggested they were guessing and you said that's how it works.  If you were referring only to this situation then yes, I misunderstood.

However, why would Rapoport jump on a Cannizzaro tweet to confirm when the offer was made?  He does alright for himself breaking his own stories and by confirming, he's a national guy who gets Cannizzaro's name out there even more.

Not impossible, but wouldn't make a lot of sense IMO.

19 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So what is it then? From these great and accurate media sources (95%) : 7, 8, 12, 16? You tell me. 

What is what? The initial offer? The guaranteed money? The offer on the table now? How much Fitz wants? There are many different numbers being thrown around. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

What is what? The initial offer? The guaranteed money? The offer on the table now? How much Fitz wants? There are many different numbers being thrown around. 

Exactly....and none of us know.  Just so happens this is the first report we've seen in quite some time with an actual number on it, and confirmed, at least IMO, by Rapoport.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Sounded like you suggested they were guessing and you said that's how it works.  If you were referring only to this situation then yes, I misunderstood.

However, why would Rapoport jump on a Cannizzaro tweet to confirm when the offer was made?  He does alright for himself breaking his own stories and by confirming, he's a national guy who gets Cannizzaro's name out there even more.

Not impossible, but wouldn't make a lot of sense IMO.

No problem.  Yes, I was commenting about the obvious situations.  Like a couple of seasons ago.  philly and any team looking to dump a WR,  every guru had Jackson, whoever coming to us.  Logic said we should be interested and they ran with it.  

Don't know the reasoning but it seems like there's a lot of this going on.  

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What is the truth? People on this board have jumped on every rumor by the press thrown in our faces. And now this one. You said they are 95% accurate not me. 

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

What about incentives?

The more I thought about this, the more I think your right.  Jets are reacting to the Decker, Marshall, and maybe Mangold no show.    They leak to a couple of reporters, "Hey, it isn't like we haven't tried, we've had a 3 year contract, 12 M the first year, o the table since March."  Click, conversation is over.

They could easily have offered him 7 in guaranteed base salary, and 5 in not easily attainable incentives.  Like making the play offs.  That money would fall on next years cap, but Fitz would cash it at the end of the year if he achieved.   As long as they weren't pressed, they could legitimately leak they had 12 M on the table.

Of course the scribes are going to run with it.

Just now, drdetroit said:

Start Geno

They know he's on the roster at less than 1/6 the price of what they're reportedly offering Fitz.  I don't think they like Geno very much.

5 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Start Geno

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

They know he's on the roster at less than 1/6 the price of what they're reportedly offering Fitz.  I don't think they like Geno very much.

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

Start Geno

lol sweet! 

It's just that simple. 

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

Start Geno

dr, the thing is, the Jets clearly don't want to do that.  They are offering a journeyman QB, who had a good year last year.  Really bonded with his team mates, 7 X more then smith..  

That's a major statement.  I don't think you'll find many fans on here that actually think Fitz's value is any where near 12 M.

Regardless of what their mouths are saying, their actions are saying, "smith is poison." 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

If only it was that simple my friend! 

Do you have his fax number? ;)

I don't...and that's a real shame because I'm sure that's all it would take.

"Dear Mr. Maccagnan, please forget almost everything you have ever seen from Geno Smith on a football field and allow him to start this season.  Signed, Jets fans who know QB evaluation better than you and your staff"

That should do the trick.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Look at this way: 

Fitz can sign that contract any time he likes. 

He's guaranteed the starting job as soon as he walks in the door. 

Several other veterans aren't reporting either. 

Why would he want to show up to the BS OTAs when he can sign before camp when he doesn't have to? He can take all the time he wants. The Jets have made it crystal clear their position. He'll squeeze some money out of them in the 2nd year (because who knows if Petty or Hack will be ready) and he knows he'll have a decent shot at starting the next two seasons. It's a win - win for him right now. 

Look at it this way:

If this is true, which I have a hard time believing, then Fitz most certainly NOT the leader you and your cohorts have been propping him up to be.  12 Mil is grossly overpaying him but instead of taking the gift and reporting to camp he's holding his breath and stomping his feet for more more more.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I don't...and that's a real shame because I'm sure that's all it would take.

"Dear Mr. Maccagnan, please forget almost everything you have ever seen from Geno Smith on a football field and allow him to start this season.  Signed, Jets fans who know QB evaluation better than you and your staff"

That should do the trick.

Actually, I would have requested he trade for Mike Glennon! 

tumblr_llv8imX4aj1qd2wato1_500.gif

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

dr, the thing is, the Jets clearly don't want to do that.  They are offering a journeyman QB, who had a good year last year.  Really bonded with his team mates, 7 X more then smith..  

That's a major statement.  I don't think you'll find many fans on here that actually think Fitz's value is any where near 12 M.

Regardless of what their mouths are saying, their actions are saying, "smith is poison." 

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING...WINNER!!!!!!!

If they're offering him 7x more than Geno, it tells us (well, most of us) exactly what they think of him.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Look at it this way:

If this is true, which I have a hard time believing, then Fitz most certainly NOT the leader you and your cohorts have been propping him up to be.  12 Mil is grossly overpaying him but instead of taking the gift and reporting to camp he's holding his breath and stomping his feet for more more more.

Players don't seem to mind when other players try to get more money.

Think Joe Flacco is disrespected in the locker room because of how much of the cap his deal takes up?  

Archived