Report: Jets Offer to Fitz at $12 Million in First Year of 3-Year/$24M Deal

JetNation

5 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Don't you all find it a bit ironic that, the head coach who gave Fitzpatrick his big payday, was fired because of it? Now that same head coach is now the OC of the Jets.

I though Gailey was a moron then, and think even less of him now.  Chan, go light a candle.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gotta say if it's our FO who is leaking this info I'm very disappointed.  Since Mac seemed to have plugged the leaks of the past, this current leak would then come under to category of "head games".  I hoped Mac and Co were above this sort of thing.  IMHO, head games are not way a quality organization does things. 

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Yeah, just read it.  Obviously I disagree with the author and think he's a fool.

But it still gives me hope (however slight) that the remaining two years are at 6mil per.  So basically a 3 year deal @8mil per.

Too much in my opinion, but maybe they know Fitz won't accept it.  They're just leaking the 12mil number to keep Fitz fans happy.  In reality though, they're gonna eventually say the deal is off.  They'll say they tried to re-sign Fitz, but it's time to move forward with Geno.

Look you might want Fitz to go away. And could get your wish,.He could sign a one year deal as a back up potential starter somewhere else. This year there are no real starting job openings except here and possibly Denver and SF. But no starting Qb is getting the kind of money some of you guys are proposing. Even for a lower rated starting Qb they are all in double figures except for guys on their rookie contracts. You don't start a Qb because he is the cheapest option. Esp a guy like Geno who has a poor record as a starter. You don't say, "Well let's give him another chance. Maybe he'll be better." This isn't the way you do things esp for a team coming off of a 10-6. 

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

I gotta say if it's our FO who is leaking this info I'm very disappointed.  Since Mac seemed to have plugged the leaks of the past, this current leak would then come under to category of "head games".  I hoped Mac and Co were above this sort of thing.  IMHO, head games are not way a quality organization does things. 

I think it's retaliation to Fitz and/or Decker camp leaking Decker's reason for sitting out.  Tit for tat.  Before then, we'd heard nothing concrete from either side.

46 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

We're not satisfied with that body of work. So we're voicing our opinions on the matter. 

Coaches don't offer contracts and terms of said contract. The GM bear's the weight of that deal.

Chan probably just made it known that he thought he could operate well in that system. The GM was the one afraid to lose him and thus over paid for Fitz

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

I think it's retaliation to Fitz and/or Decker camp leaking Decker's reason for sitting out.  Tit for tat.  Before then, we'd heard nothing concrete from either side.

It's just not smart. A few days ago Fitz was quoted as saying he appreciated the fact that negotiations were being done behind the scenes. If you're going to leak an offer then leak the entire contract not just a part of it. Just saying 12 mil for the first year means very little. Not smart. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

It's just not smart. A few days ago Fitz was quoted as saying he appreciated the fact that negotiations were being done behind the scenes. If you're going to leak an offer then leak the entire contract not just a part of it. Just saying 12 mil for the first year means very little. Not smart. 

I don't disagree.  However, if we're assuming leaks took place, then that means Fitz or Decker put info out there days after Fitz said he appreciated that it was all behind closed doors.

9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Yeah, just read it.  Obviously I disagree with the author and think he's a fool.

But it still gives me hope (however slight) that the remaining two years are at 6mil per.  So basically a 3 year deal @8mil per.

Too much in my opinion, but maybe they know Fitz won't accept it.  They're just leaking the 12mil number to keep Fitz fans happy.  In reality though, they're gonna eventually say the deal is off.  They'll say they tried to re-sign Fitz, but it's time to move forward with Geno.

Basically. They're feeling a little pressure, and they're looking to put that pressure on Fitzpatrick and his agent - and rightly so. The Jets want the stability of Fitz, while simultaneously wanting to move on from Fitz as the starter ASAP. The $12M for year one is a fair offer, no matter what people incapable of looking past his raw stats last year are trying to sell. It's also more than anyone else is willing to offer. If he believes so strongly in himself, he could accept less guaranteed money and bigger incentives. But I'm guessing that somewhere in the back of his head he knows that he's unlikely to duplicate or surpass the best season of his career. 

Just now, AFJF said:

I don't disagree.  However, if we're assuming leaks took place, then that means Fitz or Decker put info out there days after Fitz said he appreciated that it was all behind closed doors.

If they wanted to leak it ok. But don't be disingenuous and put out only part of a contract offer. As for the Decker thingy. Not sure if Fitz was involved in that but it's very possible. 

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Coaches don't offer contracts and terms of said contract. The GM bear's the weight of that deal.

Chan probably just made it known that he thought he could operate well in that system. The GM was the one afraid to lose him and thus over paid for Fitz

Gailey was right.  Fitz did operate well in that system given what he had to work with. However, Chan was fired because his defense was atrocious.

7 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Hey, it's just about June.  OTAs have started and this has been going on since January.  Perhaps it's reached the "$hit or get off the pot" time.  Personally I'd prefer the get off the pot option vs the $hit option, but I can't blame the team for trying to end this now.

Sure people can say these are "optional" workouts, but it's not good to have your starting QB in limbo and having vets potentially boycotting practice.  It's not like we have an easy schedule to start the season.

They have mentioned camp as the deadline publicy, but hopefully this is an attempt to get things resolved one way or the other sooner.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/28/reported-fitzpatrick-offer-pales-in-comparison-to-most-starting-qbs/

This is what I find ironic,  the Anti-Fitz crowd is ripping the Jets for making this offer, but what they don't get is that it's not a very good offer for a starting QB. Mac is not at this point of breaking the bank for Fitz.  I will repeat what I have previously posted, I think the Jets FO is going to take a good look at Geno during the off season workouts/practices to determine whether or not to increase their offer to Fitz. If they develop a comfort level that Geno can be the starter I don't believe that they will extend any further to sign Fitz.  On the other hand, if they don't like what they see from Geno, they may intensify negotiations with Fitz.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

If they wanted to leak it ok. But don't be disingenuous and put out only part of a contract offer. As for the Decker thingy. Not sure if Fitz was involved in that but it's very possible. 

Meh, if they move it to the court of public opinion, they're only going to leak the info that's most favorable to them.  It's what people do.

Just now, AFJF said:

Meh, if they move it to the court of public opinion, they're only going to leak the info that's most favorable to them.  It's what people do.

But it's stupid. Any deal is more than the headline amount: 12 million for one year. It's sounds good, But what's the entire offer. Most of us can see through this but not all of us unfortunately. 

13 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look you might want Fitz to go away. And could get your wish,.He could sign a one year deal as a back up potential starter somewhere else. This year there are no real starting job openings except here and possibly Denver and SF. But no starting Qb is getting the kind of money some of you guys are proposing. Even for a lower rated starting Qb they are all in double figures except for guys on their rookie contracts. You don't start a Qb because he is the cheapest option. Esp a guy like Geno who has a poor record as a starter. You don't say, "Well let's give him another chance. Maybe he'll be better." This isn't the way you do things esp for a team coming off of a 10-6. 

I gotta say I'd rather start Geno for cheap then overpay Fitz but the bold above is certainly a legit take on it.  

Just now, Rangers9 said:

But it's stupid. Any deal is more than the headline amount: 12 million for one year. It's sounds good, But what's the entire offer. Most of us can see through this but not all of us unfortunately. 

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/28/reported-fitzpatrick-offer-pales-in-comparison-to-most-starting-qbs/

This is what I find ironic is the Anti-Fitz crowd is ripping the Jets for making this offer, but what they don't get is that it's not a very good offer for a starting QB. Mac is not at this point, breaking the bank for Fitz.  I will repeat what I have previously posted, I think the Jets FO is going to take a good look at Geno during the off season workouts/practices to determine whether or not to increase their offer to Fitz. If they develop a comfort level that Geno can be the starter I don't believe that they will extend any further to sign Fitz.  On the other hand, if they don't like what they see from Geno, they may intensify negotiations with Fitz.

Wishful thinking on my part I'm sure, but perhaps this leak is an early sign they've already seen some good stuff from Geno.  Now they're trying to end this quickly.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Basically. They're feeling a little pressure, and they're looking to put that pressure on Fitzpatrick and his agent - and rightly so. The Jets want the stability of Fitz, while simultaneously wanting to move on from Fitz as the starter ASAP. The $12M for year one is a fair offer, no matter what people incapable of looking past his raw stats last year are trying to sell. It's also more than anyone else is willing to offer. If he believes so strongly in himself, he could accept less guaranteed money and bigger incentives. But I'm guessing that somewhere in the back of his head he knows that he's unlikely to duplicate or surpass the best season of his career. 

By people incapable of looking past his raw stats do you mean you? Because those are the ones that make last year look like the fluke you suggest he's supposed to know it was.

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

I gotta say I'd rather start Geno for cheap then overpay Fitz but the bold above is certainly a legit take on it.  

Look if you want to rebuild you do. But to me 2016 is not a rebuilding year. And you have to pay for a starting Qb. Geno to me is intriguing but in a competitive year when you're trying to make the playoffs you go with your best available player. That is Fitz. 

32 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

That's just good business. Brady sells his drinks to his team, where is the fault in that?

It Circumvents the salary cap.  He just happens to sells his drink to the team that happens to pay him on the books about half of what a QB of his stature would make.  Your right good business.  LOL

8 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Hey, it's just about June.  OTAs have started and this has been going on since January.  Perhaps it's reached the "$hit or get off the pot" time.  Personally I'd prefer the get off the pot option vs the $hit option, but I can't blame the team for trying to end this now.

Sure people can say these are "optional" workouts, but it's not good to have your starting QB in limbo and having vets potentially boycotting practice.  It's not like we have an easy schedule to start the season.

They have mentioned camp as the deadline publicy, but hopefully this is an attempt to get things resolved one way or the other sooner.

IMHO any airing of any dirty laundry is a sign of weakness.  I'd prefer our FO to have remained stoic.  They gave the camp deadline and I thought that was all well and good.  To me, leaks are weaks. :)  

What Geno does in OTAs and practice means nothing. What's he done in real games. His stats are league lows and he's had a fair sample size of 29 starts. He's not our best available player at the Qb position. Quit dreaming. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look if you want to rebuild you do. But to me 2016 is not a rebuilding year. And you have to pay for a starting Qb. Geno to me is intriguing but in a competitive year when you're trying to make the playoffs you go with your best available player. That is Fitz. 

Hypothetically, remove Fitz from the equation.  Who's the next best available QB?  (I'm really asking cause I have no idea.  I think any good QB that teams want has a job already.)  But let's call him Q2.  

You mention "you have to pay for a starting QB".  So are you saying regardless of whoever Q2 is, we must pay him 10mil+?

10 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Wishful thinking on my part I'm sure, but perhaps this leak is an early sign they've already seen some good stuff from Geno.  Now they're trying to end this quickly.

If you follow the tweets from OTAs Geno has looked sharp.  He also was having a good camp last year prior to IK's punch. I think it can go either way.  I personally am torn on what the right course is.  I thought Fitz played well for the most part last season and had great chemistry with Decker and Marshall, but I also feel Geno is physically gifted and was put in a bad spot by being forced to start as a rookie.  He may have benefited greatly by being on the sidelines last year.

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Hypothetically, remove Fitz from the equation.  Who's the next best available QB?  (I'm really asking cause I have no idea.  I think any good QB that teams want has a job already.)  But let's call him Q2.  

You mention "you have to pay for a starting QB".  So are you saying regardless of whoever Q2 is, we must pay him 10mil+?

Geno is under contract. He's still on his rookie deal. There are others like Jameis and Mariota, a lot better than Geno but making lower money. btw if Geno does start and has a big year then he'll be asking for at least 10 mil per. And that's low starter money. 

5 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

IMHO any airing of any dirty laundry is a sign of weakness.  I'd prefer our FO to have remained stoic.  They gave the camp deadline and I thought that was all well and good.  To me, leaks are weaks. :)  

I suppose.  Valid point of view, but I don't hate the move if it helps end this.  Especially after the Decker news.

Only if he is under contract for less you will not but eventually you will. Reality is Reality. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Geno is under contract. He's still on his rookie deal. There are others like Jameis and Mariota, a lot better than Geno but making lower money. btw if Geno does start and has a big year then he'll be asking at least 10 mil per. And that's low starter money. 

If Geno has a big year...

1. At his age
  2. Considering its the first time in a good situation
  3. Also considering he shouldn't have started year 1 and potentially 2 (similar to starting Hack now)
  4. Would've then shown the mental toughness to bounce back from QB hell

... he'll be worth more than 10mil.

5 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Only if he is under contract for less you will not but eventually you will. Reality is Reality. 

Last year we were comfortable to bring in Fitz as a backup for 3.5 with the plan of starting Geno.  The coaches and players have proven we have the team that can even make a 3.5mil vet journeyman look good.  

Should have gone with the same plan this year.  Hoyer for 2mil and let Geno start.  Now I just hope Petty can play the backup role to Geno.

14 hours ago, flgreen said:

That's a possibility, but if the 12 M is total incentives, it's not really a 12 M dollar offerthe first year, and the report is incorrect, which is also a possibility.

I agree, it just doesn't seem right that Fitz would be turning down 12 M guarantees.  You would think that the incentives would be in year 2 and 3.

Who knows contract speak in the NFL is very weird at times. 

If the word "playoff" is in the language anywhere that would prevent him from signing.

7 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

If Geno has a big year...

1. At his age
  2. Considering its the first time in a good situation
  3. Also considering he shouldn't have started year 1 and potentially 2 (similar to starting Hack now)
  4. Would've then shown the mental toughness to bounce back from QB hell

... he'll be worth more than 10mil.

Look this ain't a tryout year for Geno. I want to make the playoffs in 2016. He doesn't give us our best chance to win. 

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING...WINNER!!!!!!!

If they're offering him 7x more than Geno, it tells us (well, most of us) exactly what they think of him.

Geno is still in his 4-year rookie deal. Fitz is a 12-year vet. Do you actually follow the team?

Archived