Report: Jets Offer to Fitz at $12 Million in First Year of 3-Year/$24M Deal

JetNation

9 minutes ago, flgreen said:

dr, the thing is, the Jets clearly don't want to do that.  They are offering a journeyman QB, who had a good year last year.  Really bonded with his team mates, 7 X more then smith..  

That's a major statement.  I don't think you'll find many fans on here that actually think Fitz's value is any where near 12 M.

Regardless of what their mouths are saying, their actions are saying, "smith is poison." 

Though this is a very clever way to put this to set perspective, I have to say, what does that say about the guy who's rejecting it? Im not slamming your point, I think it was well put. But if the Jets felt that strongly that they would offer that amount to a journeyman, and that QB with the label of being a journeyman basically looks at the contract and rejects it???

Maybe that bond isnt as important to him as the Jets are banking on. 

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING...WINNER!!!!!!!

If they're offering him 7x more than Geno, it tells us (well, most of us) exactly what they think of him.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Pac said:

Look at it this way:

If this is true, which I have a hard time believing, then Fitz most certainly NOT the leader you and your cohorts have been propping him up to be.  12 Mil is grossly overpaying him but instead of taking the gift and reporting to camp he's holding his breath and stomping his feet for more more more.

Wilkerson, Decker, Marshall, and Mangold aren't there either. That explosion you hear is your theory. 

33 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

What is the truth? People on this board have jumped on every rumor by the press thrown in our faces. And now this one. You said they are 95% accurate not me. 

And? I'm failing to see what your question is here. You won't know what's the actual truth until the dotted line is signed. Until then it's just rumored to be true conjecture. This isn't that hard to comprehend. 

17 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Actually, I would have requested he trade for Mike Glennon! 

tumblr_llv8imX4aj1qd2wato1_500.gif

Jets supposedly called...wish the Bucs asking price was a bit lower.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

If the Jets did in fact contact the Bucs I would love to have known what the asking price was, especially looking down the barrel of 12 million dollars and a 3 year deal. 

Same here....I'd have been thrilled with Glennon for a 2nd rounder.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Same here....I'd have been thrilled with Glennon for a 2nd rounder.

Especially given what we did with the 2nd rounder. Not saying Hackenberg doesnt have the potential....but looking back on that decision....

Hopefully Hackenberg ends up being a franchise guy. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Though this is a very clever way to put this to set perspective, I have to say, what does that say about the guy who's rejecting it? Im not slamming your point, I think it was well put. But if the Jets felt that strongly that they would offer that amount to a journeyman, and that QB with the label of being a journeyman basically looks at the contract and rejects it???

Maybe that bond isnt as important to him as the Jets are banking on. 

My goodness in all this BS, we agree on two points.  Yeah, Fitz is squeezing to hard.

Speaking of perspective, when we talk abut sports contracts, we as people, who work for a living income, lose perspective of just how much money 2 or 3 million dollars is.  I don't think Fitz is one of those guys who will pee through his money, and declare bankruptcy two years out of football.  If anything that Buffalo money will probably be doubled.  Guy's an economics major from Harvard.  He appreciates that investment value of that 2-3 M, and he knows this is his last payday.

With that said, his team mates have gone to the wall for him, it's time to take the over pay, and come in and be the leader he's supposed to be...................If the offer is as it is currently reported

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Especially given what we did with the 2nd rounder. Not saying Hackenberg doesnt have the potential....but looking back on that decision....

Hopefully Hackenberg ends up being a franchise guy. 

Yup...Hack is a bigger question mark than Glennon at this point.

Perfect world IMO would be draft Hack in 2nd after getting Glennon for a 3rd.

Instead, it's between Fitz and Geno (maybe)

41 minutes ago, flgreen said:

My goodness in all this BS, we agree on two points.  Yeah, Fitz is squeezing to hard.

Speaking of perspective, when we talk abut sports contracts, we as people, who work for a living income, lose perspective of just how much money 2 or 3 million dollars is.  I don't think Fitz is one of those guys who will pee through his money, and declare bankruptcy two years out of football.  If anything that Buffalo money will probably be doubled.  Guy's an economics major from Harvard.  He appreciates that investment value of that 2-3 M, and he knows this is his last payday.

With that said, his team mates have gone to the wall for him, it's time to take the over pay, and come in and be the leader he's supposed to be...................If the offer is as it is currently reported

True. If that offer was legit and it was offered in March and he decided to instead hit free agency thats telling in my eyes. Things like that GM's need to set some sort of precedent on. Meaning that if Fitz is going to play hardball in that fashion and the Jets offered 12 million before the market dried up, my response would be lowering the price since that market is now dried. If you're willing to play hardball then you must be willing to take the lumps, especially when  you put a franchise in a position to offer you that amount and run the risk of then possibly losing you in free agency. And now that FA is over as well as the draft and this is still an issue? Just based on this the Jets should seriously wait until training camp and see what they have in ANY of our current QB's. It's one thing to be held hostage in a sense by a guy like Revis that was the best in the business....but this is Ryan Fitzpatrick. All jokes aside, I understand he threw 31 TD's and had one hell of  a season, but this dude is FEELING himself right now. Im not interested in this guy whatsoever. 

Generally, im all for the players making money. I was a huge supporter of Revis back when he was in his prime, because he showed through multiple years that he was worth the money. Then when he was traded he made sure that he got his money form the Bucs and then he earned it. The following year he went to the Pats and earned that money. Even when he came back. Outside of one Sammy Wakins and DeAndre Hopkins game, Revis was money on the field. Revis has a track record. Guys who have track records are allotted this type of approach imo. Fitzpatrick supporter or not, I dont think anyone with a straight face can say that they're confident that Fitz can get us to the playoffs and actually be competitive...and its only fair given that Fitz has actually never done it. This is really unsettling. 

Supporting players has to be based on what they've done and what they can do. I dont have that same feeling with Fitz....and his history shows that when he got his pay day in his prime that he didnt live up to it. 

For FItz to try to squeeze "every bit out" only works when you're a franchise QB, or atleast a star QB with some credentials. This really doesnt sit well with me. 

Well now PFT is claiming that the Jets leaked the info to several media outlets to bring their side of the story to the public. But the 12 mil in year 1 includes a bonus spread over a few years. And the Jets are not saying what the total value of the package is. It could be anything lower or higher. PFT also said that was the holdup in the deal for Fitz. The total package. If true personally I don't think a good job by Mac negotiating this deal and they shouldn't have leaked partial figures. It's far from settled. It could be on an annual basic they are only offering him around 8. And no info on guaranteed money. 

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

True. If that offer was legit and it was offered in March and he decided to instead hit free agency thats telling in my eyes. Things like that GM's need to set some sort of precedent on. Meaning that if Fitz is going to play hardball in that fashion and the Jets offered 12 million before the market dried up, my response would be lowering the price since that market is now dried. If you're willing to play hardball then you must be willing to take the lumps, especially when  you put a franchise in a position to offer you that amount and run the risk of then possibly losing you in free agency. And now that FA is over as well as the draft and this is still an issue? Just based on this the Jets should seriously wait until training and see what they have in ANY of our current QB's. It's one thing to be held hostage in a sense by a guy like Revis that was the best in the business....but this is Ryan Fitzpatrick. All jokes aside, I understand he threw 31 TD's and had one hell of  a season, but this dude is FEELING himself right now. Im not interested in this guy whatsoever. 

Generally, im all for the players making money. I was a huge supporter of Revis back when he was in his prime, because he showed through multiple years that he was worth the money. Then when he was traded he made sure that he got his money form the Bucs and then he earned it. The following year he went to the Pats and earned that money. Even when he came back. Outside of one Sammy Wakins and DeAndre Hopkins game, Revis was money on the field. Revis has a track record. Guys who have track records are allotted this type of approach imo. Fitzpatrick supporter or not, I dont think anyone with a straight face can say that they're confident that Fitz can get us to the playoffs and actually be competitive...and its only fair given that Fitz has actually never done it. This is really unsettling. 

Supporting players has to be based on what they've done and what they can do. I dont have that same feeling with Fitz....and his history shows that when he got his pay day in his prime that he didnt live up to it. 

For FItz to try to squeeze every bit out only works when you're a franchise QB, or atleast a star QB with some credentials. This really doesnt sit well with me. 

You made a long post, I don't agree with all your points, but with the theme, it's hard to argue with.  

Both sides have upped the ante.  Fitz's guys have brought it to the locker room.  Bad stuff

Jets are leaking info to the media.  Bad stuff

Jets' FO/CS/vet players  don't want smith as QB.

Man it's really time for this to get resolved.  It's about guaranteed money.  Get it FN done

36 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yup...Hack is a bigger question mark than Glennon at this point.

Perfect world IMO would be draft Hack in 2nd after getting Glennon for a 3rd.

Instead, it's between Fitz and Geno (maybe)

Honestly, if the Jets sign Fitz I believe that the amount of money involved will make Fitzpatrick the clear starter. All opinions aside, you know what I would really hate to hear? Training camp/Preseason comes around and Geno is looking GOOD. This is his contract year. Signing Fitz is in a sense hindering development by taking away the opportunity to play and actually prove himself. 

No matter what we think, pro or con, the purpose is the find a franchise quarterback. Why even have 3 different QB's on the roster that all under rookie contracts then bring in a bridge QB to start?  It really makes no sense to me. 

Now I totally understand the lockerroom comradery aspect of things....but that comradery comes with winning football games. When you're winning its all good. With that in mind I can understand trying to resign Fitz because Coaches/GM's jobs are based on winning. As a fan though, watching the Jets fall all over themselves year after year with this position, its just crazy. 

A poster here compared Fitz to Vinny Testaverde and basically asked "were we satified with Vinny" given Vinny's history beforehand. I can see how its a fair comparison. Vinny had one really good year with the Ravens before coming to the Jets. He was on 3 prior teams, which means that he certainly had his up's and down's. The difference is, Not only did Vinny have a playoff history before coming to the Jets, in his first year with the Jets he went to the AFCCG and we were so f'ing close to the Superbowl. Of course we're happy with that. Fitz scares the crap outta me because im looking at a guy who really, really had a solid year AFJF, but the dude simply has not ever found a way to win big games. That week 17 Bills game, the only thing that I could do is sit on my couch and say "I knew it". And im not saying that to take shots, I was saying it because of his history. We finally get a respectable OC and we're investing his years with Ryan Fitzpatrick. 20 years of lousy OC's....we get one who's respectable and we're giving it to Ryan Fitzpatrick! lol. I just have to  laugh at this man. 

That Jets team last year.....was better than that record in terms of talent. If these rumors are true, I just dont like the way we're handling the QB situation.

Really wish this could've been taken care of at a  lower price, but glad Fitz will likely be back to mentor the kids and keep the offense's floor much, much, much higher than it would be w/o him.  Now if somebody with a higher ceiling outplays him, that would be fantastic.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Honestly, if the Jets sign Fitz I believe that the amount of money involved will make Fitzpatrick the clear starter. All opinions aside, you know what I would really hate to hear? Training camp/Preseason comes around and Geno is looking GOOD. This is his contract year. Signing Fitz is in a sense hindering development by taking away the opportunity to play and actually prove himself. 

No matter what we think, pro or con, the purpose is the find a franchise quarterback. Why even have 3 different QB's on the roster that all under rookie contracts then bring in a bridge QB to start?  It really makes no sense to me. 

Now I totally understand the lockerroom comradery aspect of things....but that comradery comes with winning football games. When you're winning its all good. With that in mind I can understand trying to resign Fitz because Coaches/GM's jobs are based on winning. As a fan though, watching the Jets fall all over themselves year after year with this position, its just crazy. 

A poster here compared Fitz to Vinny Testaverde and basically asked "were we satified with Vinny" given Vinny's history beforehand. I can see how its a fair comparison. Vinny had one really good year with the Ravens before coming to the Jets. He was on 3 prior teams, which means that he certainly had his up's and down's. The difference is, Not only did Vinny have a playoff history before coming to the Jets, in his first year with the Jets he went to the AFCCG and we were so f'ing close to the Superbowl. Of course we're happy with that. Fitz scares the crap outta me because im looking at a guy who really, really had a solid year AFJF, but the dude simply has not ever found a way to win big games. That week 17 Bills game, the only thing that I could do is sit on my couch and say "I knew it". And im not saying that to take shots, I was saying it because of his history. We finally get a respectable OC and we're investing his years with Ryan Fitzpatrick. 20 years of lousy OC's....we get one who's respectable and we're giving it to Ryan Fitzpatrick! lol. I just have to  laugh at this man. 

That Jets team last year.....was better than that record in terms of talent. If these rumors are true, I just dont like the way we're handling the QB situation.

It's the job of the HC to play the best players.  Fitz's primary role should be to keep the Jets' competitive while the others learn.  If Geno, Petty or Hack look better than him in practice, gotta' give 'em a look and a chance to claim the job.

I want Fitz back, but that doesn't mean I don't see the value and importance of having a younger QB with better physical tools get the job at some point.

My nightmare scenario is having Pett and Hack learning from Geno.  We saw at his presser the other day that he's still got some maturity issues after three seasons.

Just pathetic. How you get down on your knees to blow Fitz like that, is beyond a sane person, Mac. Thi is singlehandedly the worst Jets decision since signing Santonio instead of Braylon. 

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It's the job of the HC to play the best players.  Fitz's primary role should be to keep the Jets' competitive while the others learn.  If Geno, Petty or Hack look better than him in practice, gotta' give 'em a look and a chance to claim the job.

I want Fitz back, but that doesn't mean I don't see the value and importance of having a younger QB with better physical tools get the job at some point.

My nightmare scenario is having Pett and Hack learning from Geno.  We saw at his presser the other day that he's still got some maturity issues after three seasons.

The presser when the reporter asked him about Fitz? I guess. I dont look at it as a maturity thing. These guys arent robots, and the reporter was being rather unprofessional even asking the question knowing that it was ultimately to troll him. Maybe Geno should have brushed it off differently. I had no problem with him answering the question the way he did then not going back to that reporter to have more quesitons asked. Its a respect thing. Fitz dont nor anyone else have to deal with that nonsense on that scale. I would assume that its hard to understand when there's 20 mics in your face everyday and you're dealing with the NY market during the offseason that will do/say anything for a story. 

This thread for example. Or Marshall/Decker/Mangold protesting during OTA's that are voluntary. To the point where Marshall had to get someone to make a public statement that he wasnt protesting anything. These guys will do anything for a story. 

Im more concerned about what he does on the field, not that he was irked at a troll question. Nothing Geno would have said would have been good because reporters would have spun it or continued to badger him on it. He was at Deckers function and he didnt want to take questions. The first thing the reporters did? Make a story of it. 

I remember last year making a comment about us fans generally being to close to the nonsense. We love it because it keeps the forum flowing etc. But if this was 1985 and no Twitter??? Most fans were celebrating guys that were probably complete scumbags but were great playing football. They didnt know it because they didnt have guys like Ian Rappaport leaking "private hospital information" of a player (Jason Pierre Paul) just to have a "story". 

Maybe Geno needs some maturing, I mean he's only 25 years old. But with the age of the internet and instant info, everything is magnified. Maybe we should give the dude some breathing room instead of criticizing every step that he takes. I would assume that none of us knows what type of stress that is. You're at the airport and TMZ running up in your face and not even getting the story right. It gets ridiculous after a while. 

38 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Just pathetic. How you get down on your knees to blow Fitz like that, is beyond a sane person, Mac. Thi is singlehandedly the worst Jets decision since signing Santonio instead of Braylon. 

Another decision the Jets will pay for in years to come like so many wasted #1 draft picks and people wonder why the Jets never make the Super Bowl

I said months ago. I'm fickle. I was all in on Fitz and enjoyed the season on offense for the first time in awhile but the feelings are fleeting. 12 million is more than he's worth, the free market showed that. He can eat a dick because him coming back or not only effects me enjoying meaningless games slightly. I'd rather save that money for a good player

If true, we know a few things:

1.  MacCagnan is in over his head in NY.  Time to go.

2.  Fitzpatrick has a lot more balls at the negotiating table than he does when games are actually on the line.  Time to go.

3.  The Jets will continue to wallow in mediocrity for at least the next 5 years.

If anyone were going to offer Fitzpatrick more than $9-10 million per year, it would've happened already.

Fitz has already said, if push comes to shove, he won't retire.

The reality of the situation is that Fitz is getting a more than fair offer, because his perceived worth only applies to the Chain Gailey system. Maccagnan is actually showing some goodwill by offering more than $9m per, really.

I expect he'll take the deal by the start of training camp, and that's all that really matters  Let the young guys get their work in now.  OTAs are not needed for veterans.  Fitz, Decker, and Marshall know how to prepare in the offseason just fine.

I love that this is an actual thing. In the Jets history books reads the chapter; the Ryan Fitzpatrick hold out....

Somehow, the Jets found themselves on the sh*t end of a hold out by a journeyman back up. That no one wants. No one in the league wants this guy, except the Jets. Stuck in a hold out.... With Ryan fcking Fitzpatrick

That actual happened? - is what you'll kids will ask you years from now.

23 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I love that this is an actual thing. In the Jets history books reads the chapter; the Ryan Fitzpatrick hold out....

Somehow, the Jets found themselves on the sh*t end of a hold out by a journeyman back up. That no one wants. No one in the league wants this guy, except the Jets. Stuck in a hold out.... With Ryan fcking Fitzpatrick

No they won't. No will know who Fitz is to begin with. Jets bidding against themselves and offer a huge deal to Fitz is just mind numbing. Fitz is that ugly hooker with STD that's on her period and no one wants, but Mac is just too desperate n thinks Fitz is the answer. 

No one wants Fitz, Mac. Don't fall for the trap. 

At times, I really want Fitz to be a Jet. We deserve him. The FO deserves him. Every bit of him. I know he's going to sh*t the bed, no doubt in my mind (n 31 other GMs). I just wanna be the guy to say "I told you so" cuz Fitz is going to be the one with the last laugh. We have actual NFL schedule this year, unlike the cake we were served last year. He took a dump on that cake as well btw. 

This is so sad.  But unfortunately it's the type of thing I've come to expect from this organization.  

This whole thing was so unprofessionally managed.

With the HC proclaiming a free agent his starter, to a GM continually claiming he's their primary free agent focus to a complete lack of respect from many players - leading to an OTA hold out.  

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Yup...years from now, we'll be remembering and talking about why Mac lost his job and this will be the first thing that comes up...

negotiated against no one, to sign a journeyman that has never been to playoffs...paid him $12mm - and was benched by week 7.  Joke!

Archived