Cut Geno

johnnyjet

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He got a chance to play. What are these being cold excuses. Backups come in all the time and play well. He was ok but the team played poorly. If we're going to make statements and comparisons that game is in the mix. The team played better when Fitz started. And that was the CS's decision.

I never made a single excuse.   I said with all he had to contend with he stats that were about the same or better than a Fitz game.  The defense was god awful that day, no one was winning that game, that day.  you can guess all you want what Fitz would have done.  But there isn't a chance in hell you don't guess they would have played much better with Fitz in the game

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

We backed into the playoffs that year and got in with 9 Ws. That part was luck. Mark's 4 Ws in playoff games was earned. If we had luck last year with 10 Ws we might have backed in. As it was 2 other teams with 10 Ws got in and one with 9. We had a successful year and I don't care what some of these guys are saying. We have a good team and if we're smart we go for it with our best players which includes Fitz. Next year we might not have as good a team. We lost one major player so far on D and if Mac had traded Wilk it would have been 2. And that could still happen. Plus who knows how much longer we'll have guys like Harris, etc. And how much longer do we have Marshall. 

no such thing as backing in, you either win the games required in a particular season or you don't.  that team won 5 of their last 6 I believe and then made the title game.  they didn't back in.  

we had luck last year watching a brutal Raven team beat Pitt to give us control of our destiny at mediocre Buffalo.  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I never made a single excuse.   I said with all he had to contend with he stats that were about the same or better than a Fitz game.  The defense was god awful that day, no one was winning that game, that day.  you can guess all you want what Fitz would have done.  But there isn't a chance in hell you don't guess they would have played much better with Fitz in the game

I'm not guessing. In 15 other games with the same players the entire team played better all around football. 

I'm not guessing. In 15 other games with the same players the entire team played better all around football. 

So that loss is on Geno??  Seriously?   Dude, you have lost whatever credibility you might have had.... 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

unlike the real competiton a year ago for Fitz, right?  mark walked through the door and as a rookie we were a game away from the Super Bowl.  a year ago w/ a similarly talented team against a creampuff sched a vet Fitz couldn't get us to the playoffs.

Of those six losses, one of which Fitz was hurt, was more attributed to the team's overall play.  The Eagle loss was pure stink from everyone as was the 2 Buffalo games. Yea the last game he didn't play great but even Bowles blew that game. The whole team was flat yet Fitz gets the sole blame. Nonsense. The Pats loss was a winnable game and we gave it away. I'd say the Texan game was again a team loss. Flat effort from everyone. Fitz had a fine year. Easy schedule or not he played great unfortunately this team just wasn't as good as he was overall. But continue to make him the scapegoat if it appeases your skewed thinking.

35 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

What do you mean. What about the Oakland game. With him we got trounced. In all other games we won ten and lost 5 by 7 and under. If we don't sign Fitz, Geno is next man up. But he isn't our BAP at Qb. Not by a mile.

CS seems to disagree with you. He was the starter before the injury with Fitz brought in to be the back up and starter if Smith faltered.   Not by a mile?  Dude please, enough with the Fitz worship already.  

1 minute ago, Powpow said:

Of those six losses, one of which Fitz was hurt, was more attributed to the team's overall play.  The Eagle loss was pure stink from everyone as was the 2 Buffalo games. Yea the last game he didn't play great but even Bowles blew that game. The whole team was flat yet Fitz gets the sole blame. Nonsense. The Pats loss was a winnable game and we gave it away. I'd say the Texan game was again a team loss. Flat effort from everyone. Fitz had a fine year. Easy schedule or not he played great unfortunately this team just wasn't as good as he was overall. But continue to make him the scapegoat if it appeases your skewed thinking.

Fitz is way less turnover prone but he's very limited in what he can do.  What I'm afraid of is the entire league watching tape of how Rex schemed him and just copying it.

Just now, drdetroit said:

Fitz is way less turnover prone but he's very limited in what he can do.  What I'm afraid of is the entire league watching tape of how Rex schemed him and just copying it.

Not just Rex.  With a seasons worth of film to review, defenses will dare us to beat them deep and creep up to take away the short to intermediate passing lanes Fitz loves so much.  Lets face it his arm is not getting any stronger; we also lucked out that the weather was fairly mild most of the season.    

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You're guessing.  

They played worse against the Bills, twice. The Pats.  The Eagles.  The Skins.  The Giants up to the end....

Please, don't make it out to be Fitz was Brady.  

7 minutes ago, Powpow said:

I don't solely blame Fitz but he killed us in the Philly game, he was dreadful.  all those games don't really matter, we had a win and in game against a mediocre Bills team that was ready to quit and he was brutal.  it's never all on one player but better QB play and we skate into the playoffs and have a chance to go deep.

What do you mean. What about the Oakland game. With him we got trounced. In all other games we won ten and lost 5 by 7 and under. If we don't sign Fitz, Geno is next man up. But he isn't our BAP at Qb. Not by a mile.

Please rewatch that game , the Raiders were kicking out asses up and down the field long before Fritz got hurt. Geno came in cold with no practice time with the starters during the week. An while he started off slow and rusty he got the offense moving. Yes,more bonehead plays at the end, holding the ball for a loss instead of throwing it away. Which I think happens when he is trying to do too much to make a play, when there is none to beade

Of course the getting his almost knock off on the one run to the sidelines. Which BTW Fritz fans would have been pointing out how tough he is if it were him getting hit.

52 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

CS seems to disagree with you. He was the starter before the injury with Fitz brought in to be the back up and starter if Smith faltered.   Not by a mile?  Dude please, enough with the Fitz worship already.  

Geno was never named the starter. It was supposed to be a Qb competition. At best Geno was at the top of the depth chart last year because it was a formality. Incumbent starter is at top of depth chart. This year it's not a formality. Fitz was officially named starter. No Fitz worship. I'd take 20 guys over him. But talk about liking Geno and for no reason at all. He's never done anything. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Geno was never named the starter. It was supposed to be a Qb competition. At best Geno was at the top of the depth chart last year because it was a formality. Incumbent starter is at top of depth chart. This year it's not a formality. Fitz was officially named starter. No Fitz workshop I'd take 20 guys over him. But talk about liking Geno and for no reason at all. He's never done anything. 

He only played two years.  If he hadn't gotten punched he was slated to start, now we will never know what would have happened and that is part of the point.  Please name the 20 quarterbacks you would take over Smith going into his 4th year, two years as a starter, 1 year from the sidelines.  I will wait.  See what you don't seem to understand or don't want to consider is not what Smith has done but what he MAY do.  To you, he is a closed book and will never improve enough to make any real difference.  You could be absolutely right or totally wrong.  I personally would like to find out while he is still a Jet.  I am tired of watching players leave only to finally reach their potential somewhere else.   Fitz to me is totally irrelevant because we are winning jack sh*t, imho, with him; he is nothing more than a bridge to Hackenberg, Petty or some other quarterback. 

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

He only played two years.  If he hadn't gotten punched he was slated to start, now we will never know what would have happened and that is part of the point.  Please name the 20 quarterbacks you would take over Smith going into his 4th year, two years as a starter, 1 year from the sidelines.  I will wait.  See what you don't seem to understand or don't want to consider is not what Smith has done but what he MAY do.  To you, he is a closed book and will never improve enough to make any real difference.  You could be absolutely right or totally wrong.  I personally would like to find out while he is still a Jet.  I am tired of watch players leave only to finally reach their potential somewhere else.   Fitz to me is totally irrelevant because we are winning jack sh*t imho with him; he is nothing more than a bridge to Hackenberg, Petty or some other quarterback. 

What if everyone gave up after 2 years on Ryan Fitzpatrick?  

WHO WOULD YOUR MESSIAH BE THEN, JETS FANS????????????//

15 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Please rewatch that game , the Raiders were kicking out asses up and down the field long before Fritz got hurt. Geno came in cold with no practice time with the starters during the week. An while he started off slow and rusty he got the offense moving. Yes,more bonehead plays at the end, holding the ball for a loss instead of throwing it away. Which I think happens when he is trying to do too much to make a play, when there is none to beade

Of course the getting his almost knock off on the one run to the sidelines. Which BTW Fritz fans would have been pointing out how tough he is if it were him getting hit.

Fitz got hurt on the 6th play of the game, our possession 0-0 score.  On a 12 yard scramble for a 1st down. 

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Eh both those buffalo games were hideous performances by the team. We could have easily won both those games. Rex had little to do with it.

6 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

He only played two years.  If he hadn't gotten punched he was slated to start, now we will never know what would have happened and that is part of the point.  Please name the 20 quarterbacks you would take over Smith going into his 4th year, two years as a starter, 1 year from the sidelines.  I will wait.  See what you don't seem to understand or don't want to consider is not what Smith has done but what he MAY do.  To you, he is a closed book and will never improve enough to make any real difference.  You could be absolutely right or totally wrong.  I personally would like to find out while he is still a Jet.  I am tired of watching players leave only to finally reach their potential somewhere else.   Fitz to me is totally irrelevant because we are winning jack sh*t, imho, with him; he is nothing more than a bridge to Hackenberg, Petty or some other quarterback. 

I said I'd take at least 20 Qbs over Fitz but not all starting Qbs because he can run our offense efficiently and works good with our players. Geno is not our BAP at Qb it's as simple as that. And you don't start him to give him a tryout year in 2016. The plan is to win games and make the playoffs with your best players. 

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I said I'd take at least 20 Qbs over Fitz but not all starting Qbs because he can run our offense efficiently and works good with our players. Geno is not our BAP at Qb it's as simple as that. And you don't start him to give him a tryout year in 2016. The plan is to win games and make the playoffs with your best players. 

I agree and until I see him on the field with our best weapons, the jury will be out for me as to who should start. For some reason you seem to feel if Geno is starting they are throwing away the season yet he played on a lousy team as a RAW ROOKIE that won 8 games.  Fitz, up until last year never won more than 6 games in his ENTIRE CAREER.

Fitz has the experience, Geno has more talent and a year under his belt to mature and learn the offense.  He is also in the last year of his contract which is ALWAYS a motivating factor.  So yes if the team is serious about putting it's best players on the field then Geno and Fitz, if or when he is signed, should COMPETE for the starting job.  Neither player should be handed anything. 

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

I agree and until I see him on the field with our best weapons, the jury will be out for me as to who should start. For some reason you seem to feel if Geno is starting they are throwing away the season yet he played on a lousy team as a RAW ROOKIE that won 8 games.  Fitz, up until last year never won more than 6 games in his ENTIRE CAREER.

Fitz has the experience, Geno has more talent and a year under his belt to mature and learn the offense.  He is also in the last year of his contract which is ALWAYS a motivating factor.  So yes if the team is serious about putting it's best players on the field the Geno and Fitz, if or when he is signed, should COMPETE for the starting job.  Neither player should be handed anything. 

The bottom line is only that Fitz played well in 2015. And we had our best offensive production in years. And despite what the Fitz haters say he was an integral part of this. If Geno had started and been successful I'd be on his bandwagon. You go with what works not what didn't work. It's a simple as that. If Fitz starts and is terrible I would expect Bowles to bench him and start Geno. Based on what I saw last season I think Fitz should have a good year and we can make the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

The bottom line is only that Fitz played well in 2015. And we had our best offensive production in years. And despite what the Fitz haters say he was an integral part of this. If Geno had started and been successful I'd be on his bandwagon. You go with what works not what didn't work. It's a simple as that. If Fitz starts and is terrible I would expect Bowles to bench him and start Geno. Based on what I saw last season I think Fitz should have a good year and we can make the playoffs. 

We had the easiest schedule in years and only beat 2 teams with winning records. 

6 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

He got a chance to play. What are these being cold excuses. Backups come in all the time and play well. He was ok but the team played poorly. If we're going to make statements and comparisons that game is in the mix. The team played better when Fitz started. And that was the CS's decision.

This sounds like a comparison. When has Geno played with this team under this regime? Either you're comparing Fitz 2015 season to Geno's rookie and 2nd year, which wasnt the same team, front office or coaching staff with their philosophy introduced or you're comparing Fitz 2015 season to Geno when he filled in for Fitz when he got hurt, which Geno didnt prepare/practice with the 1's, didnt start the game or was the QB that the team knew was the "starter"...yet he was still able to complete 65% of his passes, throw for 2TD's just 1 pick and had to 2 other potential TD's dropped in the endzone, one of them by Marshall himself. 

You're making this up as you go by trying to sell impressions instead of presenting facts. 

16 hours ago, Powpow said:

Eh both those buffalo games were hideous performances by the team. We could have easily won both those games. Rex had little to do with it.

In two games against Buffalo, Fitzpatrick was 31 for 71 for 374 yards, 4 TDs and 5 ints. His comp% was 43.6, and his passer rating rating was 49.8. I believe Rex's record against Fitzpatrick is something like 7-1. But yeah, nothing to do with Rex, or Fitz for that matter. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

In two games against Buffalo, Fitzpatrick was 31 for 71 for 374 yards, 4 TDs and 5 ints. His comp% was 43.6, and his passer rating rating was 49.8. I believe Rex's record against Fitzpatrick is something like 7-1. But yeah, nothing to do with Rex, or Fitz for that matter. 

Rex owns Fitz.  But it's cool because we dont play the Bills twice a year or anything.

31 minutes ago, slats said:

I guess you didn't see the Buffalo games last year.  Probably the worst the team played all year.  Clearly, Rex's past affiliation had an effect on them.  And of those 8 games you noted where 'Rex' was 7-1 vs. Fitz, 2 were played by Fitz as a Jet and those are the only ones that matter so your stats, slats, are flats. Fitz was mediocre in his past years. But last year he was very good.  In all of the losses Fitz played in as a Jet last year, the team failed to show up.  

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

I guess you didn't see the Buffalo games last year.  Probably the worst the team played all year.  Clearly, Rex's past affiliation had an effect on them.  And of those 8 games you noted where 'Rex' was 7-1 vs. Fitz, 2 were played by Fitz as a Jet and those are the only ones that matter so your stats, slats, are flats. Fitz was mediocre in his past years. But last year he was very good.  In all of the losses Fitz played in as a Jet last year, the team failed to show up.  

I'm left to wonder if you saw those games. Fitzpatrick was terrible, and the numbers back that up. 

No one can really doubt the worst game by a Qb ever in Jets history was the Geno game in 2014 when Rex took him out. You know the one when Bills players were upset that he left the game because they wanted to feast on him even more. As for the games last year the stat sheet doesn't say it all. The bottom line was that we were in both games and lost by the exact same scores 22-17. I mean a lot of Qbs have had poor games but kept their teams in the game even though they personally weren't sharp. btw in terms of strength of schedule being a determinant of how well you did. In 2013 teams that the Jets beat had a 45-83 W-L record. That has not been mentioned at all. I personally don't take anything away from the Jets or Geno winning those games. Those 8 Ws were legit wins and the SOS changes regularly. 

No one can really doubt the worst game by a Qb ever in Jets history was the Geno game in 2014 when Rex took him out. You know the one when Bills players were upset that he left the game because they wanted to feast on him even more. As for the games last year the stat sheet doesn't say it all. The bottom line was that we were in both games and lost by the exact same scores 22-17. I mean a lot of Qbs have had poor games but kept their teams in the game even though they personally weren't sharp. btw in terms of strength of schedule being a determinant of how well you did. In 2013 teams that the Jets beat had a 45-83 W-L record. That has not been mentioned at all. I personally don't take anything away from the Jets or Geno winning those games. Those 8 Ws were legit wins and the SOS changes regularly. 

No one can really doubt the worst game by a QB in recent history was Fitz being one game away from clinching a playoff birth in a half decade and proceeded to throw 3 picks in the forth quarter and completing 43% of his passes on our way to losing to his former team for the 2nd time that season as well as the Jets former HC. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

No one can really doubt the worst game by a QB in recent history was Fitz being one game away from clinching a playoff birth in a half decade and proceeded to throw 3 picks in the forth quarter and completing 43% of his passes on our way to losing to his former team for the 2nd time that season as well as the Jets former HC. 

So many other teams 5 to be exact saw what Fitzpatrick is and was a journeyman choke artist. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So many other teams 5 to be exact saw what Fitzpatrick is and was a journeyman choke artist. 

AND, if Fitz doesnt make his epic Jets return come training camp begins this will be the 4th team that he was "one and done" with including his 3rd in a row. 

What kills me the most about this Joe is that if Geno had the exact same results as Fitz last year the word on the street would have been "The weaponz carried Geno to that 10-6 record last season, yet as soon as we needed Geno to step up he threw 3 picks in the 4th qtr of the buffalo game. He's terrible and blew it with a playoff caliber team and the easiest schedule we've probably ever seen the Jets have". 

Switch the name to Fitzpatrick, and what we see is that this guy is somehow a saint. Pure emotions and favoritism my friend. Nothing more than a popularity contest. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

AND, if Fitz doesnt make his epic Jets return come training camp begins this will be the 4th team that he was "one and done" with including his 3rd in a row. 

What kills me the most about this Joe is that if Geno had the exact same results as Fitz last year the word on the street would have been "The weaponz carried Geno to that 10-6 record last season, yet as soon as we needed Geno to step up he threw 3 picks in the 4th qtr of the buffalo game. He's terrible and blew it with a playoff caliber team and the easiest schedule we've probably ever seen the Jets have". 

Switch the name to Fitzpatrick, and what we see is that this guy is somehow a saint. Pure emotions and favoritism my friend. Nothing more than a popularity contest. 

But the thing is that Geno didn't win ten games last season. And lead us to our best offense in years. We're not going by "ifs" you go by results. And that's the only reason Fitz started last season because he had success and won games. And was named the starter this year. The only thing in Bowles' agenda is winning games. And that's what you expect of fans, too. If Geno played great last year I'd be for him believe me. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

But the thing is that Geno didn't win ten games last season. And lead us to our best offense in years. We're not going by "ifs" you go by results. And that's the only reason Fitz started last season because he had success and won games. And was named the starter this year. The only thing in Bowles' agenda is winning games. And that's what you expect of fans, too. If Geno played great last year I'd be for him believe me. 

But the thing is none of that amounted to anything in week 17. Plain and simple. 

And he's not named the starter this season because he's not on the team. When he's on the team and is the starter then we can consider that statement. You can hold on to that PR statement for as long as you like, im busy looking at the Jets front office actions. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

But the thing is none of that amounted to anything in week 17. Plain and simple. 

And he's not named the starter this season because he's not on the team. When he's on the team and is the starter then we can consider that statement. You can hold on to that PR statement for as long as you like, im busy looking at the Jets front office actions. 

He was named the starter and they've even got his locker ready. If he comes back Bowles said he starts. If he doesn't Geno does. 

Archived