Cut Geno

johnnyjet

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, j4jets said:

Recent history says 3 picks in the last quarter of the most important game of his career. For Fitz that is. 

As for Geno, he put up a perfect game in his last start n played better than Fitz over the last 6 starts after the benching. So not sure why you would pick the recent history to support your claim. With Fitz being buddies with Deck n Marshall, he'd still be a FA. Never won more than 6 games a year in his first 10 years n then 10 in his last season. Something tells me it wasn't him. Hope he can prove me wrong. 

He put up a perfect game against a team that played like it was preseason.  Miamis coach was getting canned, they didn't show up and had nothing to play for.   How'd Geno do against oakland last year? Geno sucks, he'll be cut soon enough. 

54 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

He put up a perfect game against a team that played like it was preseason.  Miamis coach was getting canned, they didn't show up and had nothing to play for.   How'd Geno do against oakland last year? Geno sucks, he'll be cut soon enough. 

Dontcha know? The resident football geniuses here tell us that a half of football in Buffalo last year is another to write off Fitzpatrick as a bum but after 2 years of embarassing horrendousness they need more time to "properly evaluate" Geno. I'm sorry but most of us don't need more than 31 sniffs to detect a turd.

1 hour ago, johnnyjet said:

And Jets had what to play for in that game? Sound awfully similar to what you said.

Somehow the average Buffalo D, that was missing a few key starters in top of that, was supposed to be the 85 Bears D? Geno did just fine coming off the bench without any practice with the firsts against Oakland. 250+ yards, 2TDs, 1int. Can't blame the QB when your D forgets to show up/cover any WRs. Jets would be dumb to cut Geno.

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

Dontcha know? The resident football geniuses here tell us that a half of football in Buffalo last year is another to write off Fitzpatrick as a bum but after 2 years of embarassing horrendousness they need more time to "properly evaluate" Geno. I'm sorry but most of us don't need more than 31 sniffs to detect a turd.

"Dontcha know?" That we have 111 years of tape on Fitz n not a single team wanted him to lead their team, even if they were just coming off of a SB winning season with no QB on board? "Speaking of turd", that is...I give it a 1-4 start before yet another stubborn Jet HC makes a QB change. 

10 minutes ago, j4jets said:

"Dontcha know?" That we have 111 years of tape on Fitz n not a single team wanted him to lead their team, even if they were just coming off of a SB winning season with no QB on board? "Speaking of turd", that is...I give it a 1-4 start before yet another stubborn Jet HC makes a QB change. 

Lol can't wait for you mea culpa. Oh wait e-tough guy genoids never admit being wrong. Enjoy sad sacking the season while the rest of us have fun watching Jets football. I swear some Jets fans never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Lol can't wait for you mea culpa. Oh wait e-tough guy genoids never admit being wrong. Enjoy sad sacking the season while the rest of us have fun watching Jets football. I swear some Jets fans never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Says a Fitznut...

3 hours ago, j4jets said:

2nd best quarterbacked season in franchise history. Swear some of you guys think we're talking about the Steelers or Packers here.

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

2nd best quarterbacked season in franchise history. Swear some of you guys think we're talking about the Steelers or Packers here.

Yeah and four teams in the last four years have let him hit the FA, cut him or traded him. Speaks volume for the "2nd best quarterbacks season in franchise history. Swear some of you guys think we are talking about the Steeles or Packers here", cuz it's the Jets QBs and we have numerous HoF QBs to put Fitz on the pedestal. 

He outplayed a 40 odd year old season, when 200 yards passing in a game was the sh*t. Nowadays, you see that happen in the NFL almost every wk in just one half, if not a quarter. Yeah, that season. 

4 hours ago, j4jets said:

Yeah and four teams in the last four years have let him hit the FA, cut him or traded him. Speaks volume for the "2nd best quarterbacks season in franchise history. Swear some of you guys think we are talking about the Steeles or Packers here", cuz it's the Jets QBs and we have numerous HoF QBs to put Fitz on the pedestal. 

He outplayed a 40 odd year old season, when 200 yards passing in a game was the sh*t. Nowadays, you see that happen in the NFL almost every wk in just one half, if not a quarter. Yeah, that season. 

Again, 2nd best season in history of the franchise. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

On 7/29/2016 at 11:00 PM, Paradis said:

this is still a discussion? Lol... it took us 4 months to get our starter under contract. Now you want to cut our back up who's been in the system for a year? 

wtf

Yes this is silly. Geno should look good in Chan's system like everyone else does. If he looks good enough I wouldn't even take a low draft pick much less cut him. I'd take a 2nd, or even a 3rd from a team that loses their QB but he's worth quite a bit as insurance in case Fitz gets hurt. I have a feeling he'd play much better as a replacement, without the pressure of being the franchise.

On 7/29/2016 at 10:31 PM, fltflo said:

I have been thinking about what may be in Geno's future and where he may land if the Jets let him go in free agency at seasons end.

As you all know Geno is Miami native and I can see him becoming a Dolphin. With Matt Moore as the only solid backup and getting older by the year, I could see Tanny signing Geno as his primary backup to start.

In case you don't know, the Fins are not to thrilled with Tannehill in spite of the over the top contract they sighed him to. If the Fins don't produce good results this season they will be looking more to the future.

They have seen what Geno has done to them a few times and this is the reason I think they would be very interested in acquiring him.

Geno's upside is 100 times higher then Matt Moore's and should Tannehill get hurt Geno gives them a much better chance of winning. An if you seen how badly the Fins protect there QB, the odds are high that the backup will play.

So wouldn't it be ironic, to have to face Geno twice a year,and God help the front office and CS if we lose to him.

Now you may think, oh that's just Geno , we know him and we will beat him every time.

Yet, didn't we all think we would beat Buffalo easily with Rex running the show up there, how did that work out for us.

Just a thought you guys , yet don't be too surprise if it happens, and wouldn't be so typical Jets karma, to be beaten many times by a guy we threw away.

Hell no...the fin's don't need Geno! The fin's QB situation has been a turd since Dan retired...Geno's another JAG.

Here's my honest assessment all sarcasm aside. 

Geno is not the answer, he doesn't give us the best chance to win this season. He will be free to go where he pleases once his contract expires and will amount to a backup QB career wise.  Fitz is the answer, this year, maybe next, maybe. Yes he has limits but he fits the system and the other players up their game for him.  His attitude is leaps and bounds above that of Genos. As fans we don't know the behind the scenes crap that goes on but you have to believe there are issues with Geno. For instance, Marshall was a supporter of Geno and I believe he even roomed with him when he came to the Jets, but so where along the way Geno lost him and the rest of the team.  Perhaps it was the E.K incident  perhaps the time lapse in San Diego.  One thing is clear, the other players did not defend Geno and are clearly in Fitzs corner.

Heres a personal observation you can take from it what you choose.  Last year I was on the field for the pre game warm ups vs. the bills.  The players were just chucking the ball around in shorts and t-shirts chatting a bit etc.  Very laid back, no intensity yet, calm before the storm of the game I guess, anyway Geno is softossing with the ball boy and a goal post, while Fitz and the rest of the team were 40 yards away warming up.  No biggie I guess but it seemed to me he was separating himself, looked like a loner. He was ignored by the other players. I believe the other players have zero faith in the guy.  

guys want to go into battle with others that have their back.  I think Geno lost the respect of his teammates.  Talent can only take you so far.  Mediocre Talent and a bad attitude takes you elsewhere eventually.  

I've been a Jet fan since 1970, I hate 31 other teams, some more than others. No one wants a Jets Super Bowl win more than me.  I'll never give up on this team, therefore I'm hoping we surprise a few this year with a playoff run and develop a young franchise QB for the future.  I also hope Geno doesn't sniff the field this year. That would mean we are done. 

On July 29, 2016 at 11:00 PM, Paradis said:

this is still a discussion? Lol... it took us 4 months to get our starter under contract. Now you want to cut our back up who's been in the system for a year? 

wtf

Amen. 

The Geno question: There has been a lot of speculation about the future of Geno Smith, with some TV analysts saying they wouldn't be surprised if he's released. I don't see that happening; it wouldn't make much football sense.

For all his faults, Smith is an experienced quarterback, well-versed in Chan Gailey's offense and doesn't cost much -- a modest $1.6 million cap charge. Neither Bryce Petty nor Christian Hackenberg is ready for the No. 2 job. Neither one has regular-season experience, and nothing they do in the preseason will change thatNick Foles is a free agent and could fit the No. 2 job, but he'd have to learn the offense from scratch.

General manager Mike Maccagnan, asked if Smith will be on the opening-day roster, said: "I would assume so. Right now, we like Geno Smith. It's going to be interesting to see how this camp unfolds, but he's had a very good offseason. He's actually doing some good things right now. I'm not guaranteeing anything because we have to play the whole preseason, but Geno is in our plans."

Plans can change quickly in the NFL, but I'd be surprised if Smith isn't with the team.

On 7/30/2016 at 11:00 AM, Paradis said:

wtf

Precisely. Unless he's being a complete locker room distraction (no evidence at all that he is), why would you cut your cheap insurance policy? Geno has every incentive to play good soldier this year and prepare and be ready should he get the call. The team's and his interests are perfectly aligned. 

Now, food for thought, what if another teams starter goes down andthey offers the Jets a 4th-5th rounder for Geno before the season starts...

On July 30, 2016 at 5:07 PM, j4jets said:

And Jets had what to play for in that game? Sound awfully similar to what you said.

Somehow the average Buffalo D, that was missing a few key starters in top of that, was supposed to be the 85 Bears D? Geno did just fine coming off the bench without any practice with the firsts against Oakland. 250+ yards, 2TDs, 1int. Can't blame the QB when your D forgets to show up/cover any WRs. Jets would be dumb to cut Geno.

We played like crap vs. Buffalo. Key word is WE - not just Fitz. Buffalo was missing several key offensive starters like McCoy, Woods, their TE.  Our D was pathetic that game. The blame also goes to Bowles who got totally out coached by Rex.  How this isn't mentioned at all is ridiculous.  Fitz is the only one to get the blame. Revise was torched, ST were terrible, we had no running game, and Watkins embarrassed our secondary all day. Yet we were still in game to the end. 

8 minutes ago, Powpow said:

We played like crap vs. Buffalo. Key word is WE - not just Fitz. Buffalo was missing several key offensive starters like McCoy, Woods, their TE.  Our D was pathetic that game. The blame also goes to Bowles who got totally out coached by Rex.  How this isn't mentioned at all is ridiculous.  Fitz is the only one to get the blame. Revise was torched, ST were terrible, we had no running game, and Watkins embarrassed our secondary all day. Yet we were still in game to the end. 

In addition, we were playing in a game that was even relevant last week of the season. It's not like Fitzpatrick, Bowles, or any of them woke up from stasis finding themselves in week 17 with the playoffs on the line. Them boys brought us there in the first place.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

In addition, we were playing in a game that was even relevant last week of the season. It's not like Fitzpatrick, Bowles, or any of them woke up from stasis finding themselves in week 17 with the playoffs on the line. Them boys brought us there in the first place.

I like stasis. I use it on my trips back and fro from Zeta 2 Reticuli

5 hours ago, Powpow said:

Regardless of what the rest of the team did, our D still only gave up 19 points until the first int from the Bills 14 yard line where we could've kicked a FG, took the lead, N never look back. As it stands, the int killed any and momentum and was the turning point. I don't blame Revis for that int. Nor do I blame our D or coach for that int or for giving up 19 points. In fact, the D played decent all things considered as 22 points allowed by the end of the game after three straight offensive turnovers is not bad at all on any level no matter how you slice it. 

Whats done is done. Fitz is a Jet this year so my hope of course is he doesn't have such brain-fart games again. From the initial reports, it seems like both QBs are pushing each other and that's a great sign. We haven't seen that in forever. 

8 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Regardless of what the rest of the team did, our D still only gave up 19 points until the first int from the Bills 14 yard line where we could've kicked a FG, took the lead, N never look back. As it stands, the int killed any and momentum and was the turning point. I don't blame Revis for that int. Nor do I blame our D or coach for that int or for giving up 19 points. In fact, the D played decent all things considered as 22 points allowed by the end of the game after three straight offensive turnovers is not bad at all on any level no matter how you slice it. 

Whats done is done. Fitz is a Jet this year so my hope of course is he doesn't have such brain-fart games again. From the initial reports, it seems like both QBs are pushing each other and that's a great sign. We haven't seen that in forever. 

Revis did his parf, he was beaten regularly by Sammy Watkins. It was a 60 minute game and a lot of players could have stepped up and we could have won despite Fitz's 3 picks. There were dropped passes, too. The anger over this is kind of unbelievable. Because most of you are good football fans and know that a lot goes into winning or losing a game. When I watched the Decker pick Fitz was trying to win the game and he wasn't afraid of winning.either. He just made a very poor choice. Which hopefully this year will translate into learning from your mistakes. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Revis did his parf, he was beaten regularly by Sammy Watkins. It was a 60 minute game and a lot of players could have stepped up and we could have won despite Fitz's 3 picks. There were dropped passes, too. The anger over this is kind of unbelievable. Because most of you are good football fans and know that a lot goes into winning or losing a game. When I watched the Decker pick Fitz was trying to win the game and he wasn't afraid of winning.either. He just made a very poor choice. Which hopefully this year will translate into learning from your mistakes. 

Like I said, if Revis getting burned all day equates to giving up 22 points a game when the offense turns over 3 times, I'll take that all day long and twice on Sundays. Was it a perfect game outside of Fitz' performance? Of course not. But the Bills were that sh*t to begin with that after all that, we were a Thompkins catch away from winning. Like I said, what's done is done. One can only hope he learns from his mistake. I'm just not putting my house on that. 

3 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Like I said, if Revis getting burned all day equates to giving up 22 points a game when the offense turns over 3 times, I'll take that all day long and twice on Sundays. Was it a perfect game outside of Fitz' performance? Of course not. But the Bills were that sh*t to begin with that after all that, we were a Thompkins catch away from winning. Like I said, what's done is done. One can only hope he learns from his mistake. I'm just not putting my house on that. 

I don't agree about the Bills. They were supposed to have a better season than that. And tough to beat in Buff. Never an easy game for the Jets. When I buy tickets I always try to get a Bills game because it's always a battle. And there was no pressure on them, either. Their Qb is a good player, too. I wouldn't mind if we could get him for 2017 because he's a FA. He's the FA Qb I would keep my eye on. As for the 22 points being easy to overcome, not sure about that. Esp with their defense. It's a game we should have won, though.

30 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Considering his salary, he should be getting the blame. But that kind of leads into why paying a DB like a QB isnt the best way to go. They just dont impact the game as much.

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

not making excuses but buffalo was in clock burning mode.  smart by rex only because they won.  I hope Bowles takes those 2 loses as personal as rex takes those wins against his former team. I'd like to see some fire from Bowles in these games.

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

the team was terrible, we only allowed 22 pts but the defense was awful.  everyone outside of Marshall was pretty much terrible and that included the coaches BUT the QB has to play better, he has to not allow those conditions to spook him.  he doesn't have a track record to fall back on where people would think it was an aberration.   this was the biggest game of his life and as bad as his teammates were he was one of the worst players on the field and helped to kill our playoff chances.

It's 2016, he gets another shot.  Let's hope he finds a way to come through when we need him most this year.

We keep Geno in case Fitz goes down, as he has most experience between himself and Petty/Hackenberg.

But if either are anywhere even close to Geno's level by the end of preseason, I feel we have to cut Geno, just for the simple fact that our developing QB's need actual practice reps to develop. Keeping Geno taking up reps just so he sign elsewhere next year, stunts growth for #9 and #5.

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

We keep Geno in case Fitz goes down, as he has most experience between himself and Petty/Hackenberg.

But if either are anywhere even close to Geno's level by the end of preseason, I feel we have to cut Geno, just for the simple fact that our developing QB's need actual practice reps to develop. Keeping Geno taking up reps just so he sign elsewhere next year, stunts growth for #9 and #5.

Here's the question I will always ask when I read post of this nature . You start out by acknowledging that Smith is ahead of both Hackenberg and Petty . Yet after 1 addition yr with all 3 in the same scheme, coached by the same people, 2 guys get better and 1 stays the same or get worst .  Smith and Petty are 25 and  24 yrs old both having spent the same amount of time learning the same scheme from the same coaches. 

What exactly am I missing here .  By the way, I want Hackenberg to be pushing for the starting QB Job by the start of the 2017 training camp . At worst, he has to be the backup QB .

That is all .

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Here's the question I will always ask when I read post of this nature . You start out by acknowledging that Smith is ahead of both Hackenberg and Petty . Yet after 1 addition yr with all 3 in the same scheme, coached by the same people, 2 guys get better and 1 stays the same or get worst .  Smith and Petty are 25 and  24 yrs old both having spent the same amount of time learning the same scheme from the same coaches. 

What exactly am I missing here .  By the way, I want Hackenberg to be pushing for the starting QB Job by the start of the 2017 training camp . At worst, he has to be the backup QB .

That is all .

Well I'm assuming he is ahead of them. As he definitely was last year. But if by some chance the end of August there is barely any separation then, keeping Geno who will definitely sign elsewhere next year, will just take away reps from two QB's this regime drafted and wants to develop. 

I don't think this organization wants anyhing to do with Geno smith besides him being a #2 this year. But if he's barely ahead of the other two, I say cut for the sake of development.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Well I'm assuming he is ahead of them. As he definitely was last year. But if by some chance the end of August there is barely any separation then, keeping Geno who will definitely sign elsewhere next year, will just take away reps from two QB's this regime drafted and wants to develop. 

I don't think this organization wants anyhing to do with Geno smith besides him being a #2 this year. But if he's barely ahead of the other two, I say cut for the sake of development.

You keep Geno for the simple fact he'll be able to get you a comp pick. Even if he doesn't play at all this year, someone will pay him $5+ mil to be a backup or offer a starting role. 

36 minutes ago, j4jets said:

You keep Geno for the simple fact he'll be able to get you a comp pick. Even if he doesn't play at all this year, someone will pay him $5+ mil to be a backup or offer a starting role. 

That's a very good point. If anything they could bump up Bryce Petty or Hackenberg to #2/#3 just to incrrase their reps (if Geno can't separate himself enough from them). Then they could still pick up the comp pick when Geno's gone next year. 

50 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Sorry, you don't a guy that much just so that next year (2017) you have a chance at a 5th or 6th round (2018) pick. You don't waste the money or, more importantly, the roster spot.

You keep him as he is the at least (don't want to fight with the pro-geno group) the second best QB on the team with the second most NFL experience.

Archived