Cut Geno

johnnyjet

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

And he was named the starter every time, I repeat, EVERY TIME due to injury.

How was Geno Smith named starter in 2013?  That's right, due to injury.

How was Geno Smith named starter in 2014?  That's right, no competition.

To compare,  Fitz was named starter in Buffalo in 2009 due to injury, then won/retained the Buffalo job in 2010 (beat our former starter Edwards), 2011(no competition/Tyler Thigpen) and 2012 (Thigpen again).

Damn near all 105 of his starts came due injury of the starter. 

Except for those three core years in Buffalo, of course.  Only 2009 was due to injury.  2010-2012 was either earned, or the team viewed him as the established starter.

And speaking of bottomlines, the bottomline is that Fitzpatrick isnt a Jet. 

Not yet.  

Bit of advice, criticism that applies equally or more to the guy you support doesn't really win many arguments.

"Fitz got playing time due to injury" only works if Geno Smith faced legitimate competition and defeated them.  He has yet to do so.

"Fitz didn't play well in 2015" only works if Geno Smith played well in 2013 and/or 2014.  He did not.

Geno being in year 4 and Fitz in year 11 is not evidence that Geno is a better QB.  It's evidence that Geno is younger, that's it.

The entire Geno argument boils down to "Geno might be great".  There is no evidence to support that hope, but it's the only basis for a desire to start Geno at this point.  Hope for a miracle.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he was solidly the starter in Buffalo for a few years leading them nowhere, he teased them w/ brief good play(better #s than his actual play), they have him a big contract then he was awful.  thankfully the Jets are not as stupid as Buffalo.

58 minutes ago, Powpow said:

No one but the J E T S Jets Jets Jets. 

What's hilarious is your support for Geno who has accomplished squat other than having the worst QB rating in the 2 years he started. Oh and of course there's the several embarrassing episodes he's been involved in as the 'leader and face' of this franchise.  I think he leads the NFL in that category too. ?

You mean the wors QB rating based on those statistics that had Josh McCown rated the 3rd best QB in football? Stop regurgitating the same crazy nonsense to me, I knew that rating was stupid when I seen Josh McCown as a top 3 QB in 2013. Furthermore, during that same rookie season Nick Foles was rated the #1 QB along with McCown at #3. Where are both of them now???? Goes to show how guys who "accomplished being on some slap-dick list" ended up nowhere today, which means that their position doesnt matter today. That also goes for Geno Smith. 

Call me when Fitzpatrick's accomplishment is more than just winning more than 6 games in a season and finally participating in a week 17 game that meant something in the past 11 seasons. #-o

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How was Geno Smith named starter in 2013?  That's right, due to injury.

How was Geno Smith named starter in 2014?  That's right, no competition.

To compare,  Fitz was named starter in Buffalo in 2009 due to injury, then won/retained the Buffalo job in 2010 (beat our former starter Edwards), 2011(no competition/Tyler Thigpen) and 2012 (Thigpen again).

Except for those three core years in Buffalo, of course.  Only 2009 was due to injury.  2010-2012 was either earned, or the team viewed him as the established starter.

Not yet.  

Bit of advice, criticism that applies equally or more to the guy you support doesn't really win many arguments.

"Fitz got playing time due to injury" only works if Geno Smith faced legitimate competition and defeated them.  He has yet to do so.

"Fitz didn't play well in 2015" only works if Geno Smith played well in 2013 and/or 2014.  He did not.

Geno being in year 4 and Fitz in year 11 is not evidence that Geno is a better QB.  It's evidence that Geno is younger, that's it.

The entire Geno argument boils down to "Geno might be great".  There is no evidence to support that hope, but it's the only basis for a desire to start Geno at this point.  Hope for a miracle.

Geno Smith was named starter in 2013 due to injury. Geno Smith was named the starter of 2014 because he was the best QB on the squad out of Mike Vick, Matt Simms and Tajh Boyd who didnt even make the team....NOT due to injury. 

What you purposely fail to realize is that thats just 2 seasons, not 11 like Fitzpatrick. 

And if you're going to say "except 2010-2012" for Fitzpatrick then you MUST say the same for Geno Smith in 2014. Your own words show your ridiculousness.

Fitz being in year 11 and Geno in year 4 is not evidence of Fitz is better when Fitz played with a different team with different coaching and a different scheme. On top of the fact that Geno was the clear starter throughout camp before his injury. Fitz was getting smoked. 

The whole Fitz argument boils down to who's currently on the Jets roster.....Fitz isnt on it. Thinking that Macc is going to pay that price for mediocrity is like hoping for a miracle. 

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Geno Smith was named starter in 2013 due to injury. Geno Smith was named the starter of 2014 because he was the best QB on the squad out of Mike Vick, Matt Simms and Tajh Boyd who didnt even make the team....NOT due to injury. 

As I said, no competition.  

What you purposely fail to realize is that thats just 2 seasons, not 11 like Fitzpatrick. 

Irrelevant.  By that argument we should play Hack, he only has 0 seasons to Geno's two failed years and one wasted year.  

And if you're going to say "except 2010-2012" for Fitzpatrick then you MUST say the same for Geno Smith in 2014. Your own words show your ridiculousness.

The irony here is you don't understand that I made that point for that exact reason to you.  YOU claimed Fitz never won a job.  Then YOU claimed Geno did.  Lol, so hypocritical you can't even see it in your own factually inaccurate arguments.

The whole Fitz argument boils down to who's currently on the Jets roster.....Fitz isnt on it. Thinking that Macc is going to pay that price for mediocrity is like hoping for a miracle. 

We'll see.  

I predict Fitz is signed, Geno is thus benched, and Fitz fails to repeat his 2015 season but plays well enough to keep Geno on the pine.  At years end Geno moves on, Fitz either must compete for the #1 job or moves to backup and we start a kid in 2017.  I predict we start Hack in 2017, honestly.

Thats how I see it playing out.

You see Geno (as posted elsewhere) being better in all stats than 2015 Fitz and, presumably, getting resigned and named the starter in NY going forward (which is what would happen if he wins 11 games and out-produced 2015 Fitz).

So, we'll see.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As I said, no competition.  

Stating that guys were "no competition" is a moot point. There were a total of 4 QB's, all could have had the job if they outperformed. They didnt. That doesnt equal "no compeition", that only equals moot excuses in order to associate it with Fitzpatrick. 

Irrelevant.  By that argument we should play Hack, he only has 0 seasons to Geno's two failed years and one wasted year.  

I felt the same when when the statement was flipped on your end. Fitz has 11 failed seasons and never made the playoffs. Are we considering last season a success because he won more than "Max 6 wins"???? lol. 

The irony here is you don't understand that I made that point for that exact reason to you.  YOU claimed Fitz never won a job.  Then YOU claimed Geno did.  Lol, so hypocritical you can't even see it in your own factually inaccurate arguments.

There is no Irony here, I claimed Fitz never won a job because he received every job via injury thoughout his 11 year career with 6 teams. I never ONCE said that Geno Smith beat out Mark Sanchez for a job. Again, thats you making moot points in order to create association while at the same time using that association to dismiss the validity of the statement made. You just said that I claimed that Geno won a job. Do me a favor, post the link where I said that Geno beat out Sanchez for the job his rookie season and I will delare you the winner of this debate right now. 

Wont hold my breath. 

I predict Fitz is signed, Geno is thus benched, and Fitz fails to repeat his 2015 season but plays well enough to keep Geno on the pine.  At years end Geno moves on, Fitz either must compete for the #1 job or moves to backup and we start a kid in 2017.  I predict we start Hack in 2017, honestly.

Your prediction, and therefore everything else stated based on your prediction is irrelevant. Come back if it happens. 

56 minutes ago, Powpow said:

He'd back up the toilet. Other than that he's a useless, mindless, ego maniacal douchebag. I don't care how much potential he has. I don't care if he's never been given 'a fair chance'. I don't care if he was 'winning the job' in training camp last year. I don't care if he has an MVP year.  He's a POS, classless, wannabe who will never amount to anything in the NFL.  He's a child in a man's body and a birdbrain mentality.  He's an embarrassment to this organization and has been Mac's biggest mistake for keeping him on this roster.  He has done absolutely nothing in his 3 years here other than be the butt of NFL analysts jokes and derisive comments.  Why he is on this team is beyond reason.  Regardless, after 2016 it will be the end of any talk about Geno Smith being a starting QB and any ties to the Jets will be severed. You see I'm not a complete pessimist. There's hope and light at the end of the tunnel and it shines after the 2016 season is over and Geno Smith is GONE. 

It's time to stop.

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

I don't care how much potential he has. I don't care if he's never been given 'a fair chance'. I don't care if he was 'winning the job' in training camp last year. I don't care if he has an MVP year. 

thanks for this. Proving my point that we're debating people who dont care about the facts, but their little feelings. 

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Thats how I see it playing out.

agree

16 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Stating that guys were "no competition" is a moot point. There were a total of 4 QB's, all could have had the job if they outperformed. They didnt. That doesnt equal "no compeition", that only equals moot excuses in order to associate it with Fitzpatrick. 

So Geno, playing against nobodies and uninterested has-beens = winning the job (despite there being no actual competition held), but Fitz playing against nobodies and has-beens for three years in a row is "never won a starting job".

So if Fitz is resigned, and named starter, will you claim that's due to injury too?  What did Geno hurt this year?

I felt the same when when the statement was flipped on your end. Fitz has 11 failed seasons and never made the playoffs. Are we considering last season a success because he won more than "Max 6 wins"???? lol. 

Yes, I consider last season a success and a major improvement on the two seasons which came before it.  We got superior play at QB (irrespective of stats) and a much better performing, producing offense as a whole.  Arguments that only a playoff berth equal success is the usual sillyness.  Progress from previous failings is a form of sucess, and the best indicator of future improvement that leads to grater success.  

There is no Irony here, I claimed Fitz never won a job because he received every job via injury thoughout his 11 year career with 6 teams.

Factually inaccurate as shown.  2010, 2011, 2012 jobs in Buffalo had nothing to do with injury to others.  There are in every way equivalent as to how Geno Smith was named starter in 2014.

I never ONCE said that Geno Smith beat out Mark Sanchez for a job.

Because such a claim would be laughable.  So we've established that Geno was handed a job due to injury (2013) and then earned a job due to no competition actually being held (2014).  

Your prediction, and therefore everything else stated based on your prediction is irrelevant. Come back if it happens. 

Happy to, not like I'm going somewhere after all.  

We'll also see if you stand up and admit your inaccuracy if your own predictions of a Geno-led 4,000/32 season does not, in fact, come to pass.  I'm guessing you won't, you're not really one to ever admit you're wrong, even when your inaccuracy and poor analysis is staring you strait in the face (how is highest-paid-in-NFL-history-QB Mr. Glennon doing these days?  Remind me, who is he starting for this year again?).

Just now, Warfish said:

So Geno, playing against nobodies and uninterested has-beens = winning the job (despite there being no actual competition held), but Fitz playing against nobodies and has-beens for three years in a row is "never won a starting job".

So if Fitz is resigned, and named starter, will you claim that's due to injury too?  What did Geno hurt this year?

Yes, I consider last season a success and a major improvement on the two seasons which came before it.  We got superior play at QB (irrespective of stats) and a much better performing, producing offense as a whole.  Arguments that only a playoff berth equal success is the usual sillyness.  Progress from previous failings is a form of sucess, and the best indicator of future improvement that leads to grater success.  

Factually inaccurate as shown.  2010, 2011, 2012 jobs in Buffalo had nothing to do with injury to others.  There are in every way equivalent as to how Geno Smith was named starter in 2014.

Because such a claim would be laughable.  So we've established that Geno was handed a job due to injury (2013) and then earned a job due to no competition actually being held (2014).  

Happy to, not like I'm going somewhere after all.  

We'll also see if you stand up and admit your inaccuracy if your own predictions of a Geno-led 4,000/32 season does not, in fact, come to pass.  I'm guessing you won't, you're not really one to ever admit you're wrong, even when your inaccuracy and poor analysis is starting you strait in the face (how is highest-paid-in-NFL-history-QB Mr. Glennon doing these days?  Remind me, who is he starting for this year again?)

You're not saying anything worth going back and forth on. 

Fitz isnt the QB. Geno's the QB. Your prediction has been noted. We'll see come week 1. Im eating Pizza now and this isnt important enough to interrupt such awesomeness. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

he has not had a fair chance, he was rushed into starting when he shouldn't have been in 2013, 2014 was a disaster, we finally got talent around the QB last year and he got punched out killing any chances he had to start.

Yeah and he played last year and we got beat by 2 Tds. He had enough talent on those teams to play above it and bring the team up not down. He was actually our worst starting player on offense. He had Ivory and Decker etc and no excuses for injuries. If you play in the game you're ready to play. Everyone is playing injured. But I agree he shouldn't have started at least in 2013. 

20 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Yeah and he played last year and we got beat by 2 Tds. He had enough talent on those teams to play above and bring the team up not down. He was actually our worst starting player on offense. He had Ivory and Decker etc and no excuses for injuries. If you play in the game you're ready to play. Everyone is playing injured. But I agree he shouldn't have started at least in 2013. 

We got beat by 2 TD's because the Raiders scored 34 freaking points, the most points the Jets allowed last year. It wasnt like we lost 3-17. C'mon bro. 

If Fitz wouldnt have gotten injured and finished the game throwing 2 TD's, 1 INT, 270 yards and completing 65% of his passes (which is what Geno did) this sh*t wouldnt even be a topic. We'd be talking about how Cromartie was getting torched all over the field, how the defense couldnt make a tackle for 60 mins and how Marshall dropped a TD in the back of the endzone. 

Meanwhile Fitzpatrick has a poor week 17, throwing 3 INT's in the 4th qtr and completing 43% of his passes and all I hear is how bad Revis played with a bad wrist and 30mph winds. 

ridiculous. 

18 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

We got beat by 2 TD's because the Raiders scored 34 freaking points, the most points the Jets allowed last year. It wasnt like we lost 3-17. C'mon bro. 

If Fitz wouldnt have gotten injured and finished the game throwing 2 TD's, 1 INT, 270 yards and completing 65% of his passes (which is what Geno did) this sh*t wouldnt even be a topic. We'd be talking about how Cromartie was getting torched all over the field and how the defense couldnt make a tackle for 60 mins. 

Meanwhile Fitzpatrick has a poor week 17, throwing 3 INT's in the 4th qtr and completing 43% of his passes and all I hear is how bad Revis played and 30mph winds. 

ridiculous. 

The team was competitive in every game except the one Geno played in. There were no losses over 7 points. We lost on week 17 by 5 and were in the game until the end and could have stolen that game. The facts are that the team plays better with Fitz. The players know it, the coaches know it, even the GM knows it and most of the fans know it. 25 guys on this site don't know it. You figure?

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The team was competitive in every game except the one Geno played in. There were no losses over 7 points. We lost on week 17 by 5 and were in the game until the end and could have stole that game. The facts are that the team plays better with Fitz. The players know it, the coaches know it, even the GM knows it and most of the fans know it. 25 guys on this site don't know it. You figure?

You should rephrase that since Geno doesnt play defense. What you should say is that the DEFENSE was competitive in every game except the Raiders game, in which they proceeded to allow 34 points, allow Carr to throw the ball all over the field and to allow Crabtree to break 15 tackles in a row for a TD of his own. 

What does that have to do with Geno Smith? He doesnt play defense. For a guy who is obviously bright (you have a graduate degree) I know that this isnt impossible for you to figure out for yourself. 

34 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Yeah and he played last year and we got beat by 2 Tds. He had enough talent on those teams to play above it and bring the team up not down. He was actually our worst starting player on offense. He had Ivory and Decker etc and no excuses for injuries. If you play in the game you're ready to play. Everyone is playing injured. But I agree he shouldn't have started at least in 2013. 

the Defense allowed 34 points.  in week 17 the D allowed 22 and we still lost w/ Fitz.

the talent was night and day from 2014 to 2015. it was so good we were able to give Fitz his first winning record and first season w/ more than 6 wins.

After seeing what Gailey could do with a 34 year old journeyman on his what, 7th team now. Is it really so far fetched to want to save 12m and see what he can do with the guy he named his starter over Fitz to begin with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean the wors QB rating based on those statistics that had Josh McCown rated the 3rd best QB in football? Stop regurgitating the same crazy nonsense to me, I knew that rating was stupid when I seen Josh McCown as a top 3 QB in 2013. Furthermore, during that same rookie season Nick Foles was rated the #1 QB along with McCown at #3. Where are both of them now???? Goes to show how guys who "accomplished being on some slap-dick list" ended up nowhere today, which means that their position doesnt matter today. That also goes for Geno Smith. 

Call me when Fitzpatrick's accomplishment is more than just winning more than 6 games in a season and finally participating in a week 17 game that meant something in the past 11 seasons. #-o

I see so Foles and McGowan have 2 of the best seasons QB's have had and it means nothing. Gotcha.  Yet Glennon, whose stats are nothing to scream about, constantly gets your undying support. Just to add, I'd take Glennon over all the others. Stats do matter and they fluctuate. It's the measure of a player. Yes they are often misleading but for the most part determine a player's level of play so don't give me that slap slap azz nonsense.  And Fitz won 10 games last year BTW.  Oh and it's nice to see Joewilly12 teaming up with and writing posts together. 

17 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

After seeing what Gailey could do with a 34 year old journeyman on his what, 7th team now. Is it really so far fetched to want to save 12m and see what he can do with the guy he named his starter over Fitz to begin with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This point should not be overlooked!!!  Gailey has a history of taking average to below average QB's
and getting good production out of them (Stewart, Fiedler, Thigpen & Fitzpatrick twice).  Add in that
Marshall & Decker have prodcued excellent numbers playing with the likes of Tebow, Geno Smith, Cutler,
Josh McCown, Matt Moore and Fitzpatrick throwing them the ball

A Qb doesn't play defense but a team plays better overall football if they have a good leader and the Qb is a leader. Everybody knows that. If Geno had a great game against Oakland and the team had rallied around him instead of falling apart and we had won that game (against a mediocre team) the Jets make the playoffs. It was time for Geno to step up. He had his chance to be great. Plus he had 29 starts, a great sample size. Bowles then went with Fitz and the team won 5 games in a row and 10 total none with Geno starting. It would be stupid to blow that up. 

to add my 2 cents to this debate (like you've all been waiting for that) i actually agree with the OP. If cutting Geno saves 1 dollar this is 1 dollar better spent. He's not good and he will never be good. Keeping him on the roster only invites the chance that he might play. And nothing good can come of that. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

to add my 2 cents to this debate (like you've all been waiting for that) i actually agree with the OP. If cutting Geno saves 1 dollar this is 1 dollar better spent. He's not good and he will never be good. Keeping him on the roster only invites the chance that he might play. And nothing good can come of that. 

winner winner chicken dinner

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

LOL.... what a buffoon.

Every argument you've made on this subject has been based on hypothetical outcomes/possibilities contingent upon going backward or forward in time to ensure certain variables fall into place perfectly. Yet, here you are dismissing a prediction as irrelevant because it hasn't actually happened.

22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

LOL.... what a buffoon.

Every argument you've made on this subject has been based on hypothetical outcomes/possibilities contingent upon going backward or forward in time to ensure certain variables fall into place perfectly. Yet, here you are dismissing a prediction as irrelevant because it hasn't actually happened.

Yeah, because Geno being the Jets starter and Fitz being unemployed right now is a hypothetical. lol.  And of course Southern would agree with this^^^^

Dont associate me with your kind Darwin, though our DNA may be somewhat similar...I actually have intelligence. lol. 

44 minutes ago, Powpow said:

I see so Foles and McGowan have 2 of the best seasons QB's have had and it means nothing. Gotcha.  Yet Glennon, whose stats are nothing to scream about, constantly gets your undying support. Just to add, I'd take Glennon over all the others. Stats do matter and they fluctuate. It's the measure of a player. Yes they are often misleading but for the most part determine a player's level of play so don't give me that slap slap azz nonsense.  And Fitz won 10 games last year BTW.  Oh and it's nice to see Joewilly12 teaming up with and writing posts together. 

lol. 

26 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

A Qb doesn't play defense but a team plays better overall football if they have a good leader and the Qb is a leader. Everybody knows that. If Geno had a great game against Oakland and the team had rallied around him instead of falling apart and we had won that game (against a mediocre team) the Jets make the playoffs. It was time for Geno to step up. He had his chance to be great. Plus he had 29 starts, a great sample size. Bowles then went with Fitz and the team won 5 games in a row and 10 total none with Geno starting. It would be stupid to blow that up. 

6358865180472733511677332949_reach.jpg

20 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yeah, because Geno being the Jets starter and Fitz being unemployed right now is a hypothetical. lol.  And of course Southern would agree with this^^^^

Dont associate me with your kind Darwin, though our DNA may be somewhat similar...I actually have intelligence. lol. 

Even without a contract, the HC declared Fitz the starter... so technically speaking, you're even wrong about this.

And, more to the point, there's that deflecting again. 

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Even without a contract, the HC declared Fitz the starter... so technically speaking, you're even wrong about this.

And, more to the point, there's that deflecting again. 

Yet QB's cant start without a contract Darwin. 

Hit me back when that hypothetical contract becomes a legit contract and Fitz goes from a hypothetical starter to the actual starter.

31 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yet QB's cant start without a contract Darwin. 

Hit me back when that hypothetical contract becomes a legit contract and Fitz goes from a hypothetical starter to the actual starter.

They also can't start because it's July.

If you want to scrounge around for semantics to try and save face, I'll beat you silly with those tactics too.

Even if Geno plays twice as good as you debate, we're ****ed.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

You're not saying anything worth going back and forth on. 

Let not pretend you're argument has any defensible merit, because we both know if it did, you'd sperge on at extended great length in defense of it.  Your decision to avoid it speaks loudly for the invalidity of your core point.

It's simple, you're simply wrong.  Geno (2013) and Fitz (2009,2015 and others) both got jobs due to injury.  Geno (2014) and Fitz (2010,2011,2012) got jobs due to a lack of open competition or meaningful talent brought in to compete against them.  There is no meaningful difference here as you attempted to portray in the originally quoted post, and analysis of this does not create an argument for (or against) Geno, nor an argument for (or against) Fitz on this singular point.

Fitz isnt the QB. Geno's the QB.

As of today.  

Your prediction has been noted. We'll see come week 1. Im eating Pizza now and this isnt important enough to interrupt such awesomeness. 

Good pizza should come before most things, on that I'll agree.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

They also can't start because it's July.

If you want to scrounge around for semantics to try and save face, I'll beat you silly with those tactics too.

Even if Geno plays twice as good as you debate, we're ****ed.

So if he plays twice as good he'd be the 31 worst rated QB - that's up a notch from 32 - go Geno go

1 minute ago, Powpow said:

So if he plays twice as good he'd be the 31 worst rated QB - that's up a notch from 32 - go Geno go

lol, something like that...

I'm going to coin a new term here for the entire Geno defense strategery: Hypathetical.

I'm a funny mother****er.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

lol, something like that...

I'm going to coin a new term here for the entire Geno defense strategery: Hypathetical.

I'm a funny mother****er.

Patent that sh*t - Idziot and his hypathetical draft choice has set this franchise back now going on 4 years. 

Archived