Official Training Camp Thread(8/8/16)

Patriot Killa

23 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We signed him because we couldn't rely on Geno. If Geno magically figures it out, then Fitz is simply an expensive backup. Signing Fitz was prudent, and going with Geno (if he is better) is also prudent. 

So yeah, we had to pay Fitz 12 million because we didn't know Geno would emerge and we still don't know if he is ready. 

Yup, you're right.  I decided to jump on the Fitz train after he was re-signed.  Just gotta accept it.

I occasionally have flashbacks to pre-12mil days when I said Macc would've been nuts for spending over 5mil on Fitz.  Seems camp reports of Geno killin' it in camp may be a trigger for me.

I'm better now.  FitzMagic was definitely worth the 12mil.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

If Hack doesn't play, I will be livid. There's probably a 1% chance he doesn't play, but it will be inexcusable if he doesn't.

Hack can't hit the side of a barn right now. 

Id like to see him thrown to the wolves, too. Heck, why not? It's the first week of preseason. 

But to be livid if he doesn't get in is silly. It just means they want an extended look at petty.

6 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

If Hack doesn't play, I will be livid. There's probably a 1% chance he doesn't play, but it will be inexcusable if he doesn't.

I disagree.  I would play the top 3 until the 4th game, then you give hack the 4th quarter.  Hack is red-shirting this year

21 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

You Geno posters, you just keep beating that drum.  I admire your persistence.  

Just remember no one has been able to hit your boy yet. 

So we're all on the same page, which QBs can we be happy about having phenomenal day in training camp?  I assume any of them but Geno, right?

7 minutes ago, gEYno said:

So we're all on the same page, which QBs can we be happy about having phenomenal day in training camp?  I assume any of them but Geno, right?

So I will type this slow for you.  There is a deference between being happy and talking about Bowles better start Geno. 

31 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

Prepare for disappointment, because I suspect it's pretty likely he doesn't play. 

He got hit enough in college, and learned a lot of bad habits he needs to unlearn. This will be a year of healing and education for him. We may not see him until a cameo in game four. If then. 

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Macc really didn't pay 12 million bucks for a backup...  did he?

I mean even if he did, there's no way they'd admit to it (aka start Geno).  They've gotta be starting Fitz no matter what now because of the 12mil.

well they've been gushing over him for half a year.  They'd look like fools if they start Geno.  Doubt Todd has the Bowles to do that.

54 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

This is a redshirt year for Hack.  I expect plenty of 4th quarter action for him.  But they also want a long, hard look at Petty to see if he's worth keeping on the active roster.

Extend Geno! Cut Fitz!

(No, seriously, though, if they are seeing real development in Geno, and it extends through the pre-season games, he should be extended.  He's at the least a competent backup, and it's always been about harnessing his talent.)

Geno would never ever sign an extension at this point of his career. He has no reason to. He's going to hit the market next year as a premium backup at the very least. The only scenario that has Geno on the Jets next year is Fitz going down early and Geno coming in playing so well that the Jets throw the franchise tag on him. Otherwise he's gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:
Amaro just snagged a pass from Fitz into triple coverage and spiked the ball in the end zone. Great catch. #Jets #Sleeper
Fitz from about 30 out, throws into triple coverage but Amaro just went and got it for the TD #nyj #JetsCamp
Jace Amaro with a terrific catch in traffic for a touchdown. Play of the day #NYJ

Ryan Fitzpatrick.... balls like Favre... arm like Pennington.

43 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

So I will type this slow for you.  There is a deference between being happy and talking about Bowles better start Geno. 

Couple questions...

1) Who's demanding Bowles start Geno?

2) How would typing slowly help?*

*If you're going to try the 'I'm smart and you're dumb' route, you ought to at least be logical when you attempt condescension.  Otherwise your efforts fall flat and you end up sounding like an idiot.  But keep at it, sport.  You'll get there!

Genuine curiosity: was Geno doing this against the #1 defense? Most of the DBs mentioned in the tweets, if any were mentioned, were not our top 4 guys... I won't completely dismiss him beating up on those guys, because that's a good sign for him, but I hardly think this warrants the attempts some people are making to turn this into a thread from last month.

56 minutes ago, slats said:

Prepare for disappointment, because I suspect it's pretty likely he doesn't play. 

He got hit enough in college, and learned a lot of bad habits he needs to unlearn. This will be a year of healing and education for him. We may not see him until a cameo in game four. If then. 

that seems to be the plan.  they like him but don't need him yet, and the plan is to develop petty to be the #2 at some point this season.

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Genuine curiosity: was Geno doing this against the #1 defense? Most of the DBs mentioned in the tweets, if any were mentioned, were not our top 4 guys... I won't completely dismiss him beating up on those guys, because that's a good sign for him, but I hardly think this warrants the attempts some people are making to turn this into a thread from last month.

Was he throwing to Marshall and Decker when he was throwing against those no name DBs ?  Why is this even an issue, if what we're interested in is what's going to help us have the best 2016 season ?  Fitz looks good, Geno looks good and Petty appears to be improving . Go Jets.

That is all

2 hours ago, Stark said:

I find it humorous that you would even imply Geno can take this team to 12-4. I don't think either QB gets us to 12-4. What I am saying is that while Fitz was a home, Geno was here. If the coaches thought he could/should be the starter they wouldn't pay Fitz 12 mil. I am sure if they thought he could/would start or trust him to start they would want him getting all the reps with the first team against the first team Defense. 

I also said that I agree, a few posts above that it should be based on performance. I don't think that people on this board fully understand that there is an entire team of coaches that could have went to bat for Geno and swayed Mac to not sign fitz for 12 mil when he could have gotten another veteran back-up cheaper.

What have you seen in live action that makes you believe that, "its great to know we have a backup who is at least semi-competent". Hell that is a ringing endorsement while backing out of the statement all at the same time. I feel like you would want at least a "competent" backup, but you want to settle for "semi-competent.

This is early August, lets see how he does in live football situations.

Coaches think alot of things...until players prove them wrong. I would assume thats happened before. Just because the coaches thought that Fitz could/should be the starter doesnt mean that Geno cant make their decision look like a poor one. Sure, we havent seen anything in game on a consistent basis, though I will say that we've seen a glimpse of what Geno could do in that Raiders game if people werent so pessimistic and overblowing that game. 

What I will say is that I dont like the fact that Decker was out of practice today along with Marshall being limited today and it "just so happens" that Fitz looked like sh*t today. It says alot, to me atleast. 

If I had to judge who's been the better QB so far, I'd have to say its been Geno Smith. And thats not good when the only reason why the other guy is the starter is because of 12 million dollars and what the coach/front office think Fitz "could/should" be. Fitz needs to play like the 12million dollar QB, which means that there should be "no question" who's the better QB. Right now, thats not the case. 

Now im not concluding anything here, but I will say that Geno in comparison to Fitz has looked like more than just some "Semi-competent back up", which is a problem when Fitz is paid 12 million. At this point I dont care about the man-crushes in the locker room. Fitz either needs to put this comparison to bed or this will be a subject thoughout the entire season, especially if the Jets arent winning. 

Fitz is the starter, but so far Geno has looked better in camp. However, I will agree that we need to see some preseason games. Luckily for Geno, Fitz probably wont be playing alot outside of game 3, which means that Geno can REALLY raise some questions if he in fact shows that he's not the QB version of David Clowney/Ryan Spadola, guys who can do it in preseason practice but not in games. 

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We signed him because we couldn't rely on Geno. If Geno magically figures it out, then Fitz is simply an expensive backup. Signing Fitz was prudent, and going with Geno (if he is better) is also prudent. 

So yeah, we had to pay Fitz 12 million because we didn't know Geno would emerge and we still don't know if he is ready. 

Maybe its not magic, but simply working on his craft and ignoring the hate and the negativity. 

When you get to that level, the sh*t isnt magic, its hard ass work. 

11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

If I had to judge who's been the better QB so far, I'd have to say its been Geno Smith. And thats not good when the only reason why the other guy is the starter is because of 12 million dollars and what the coach/front office think Fitz "could/should" be. Fitz needs to play like the 12million dollar QB, which means that there should be "no question" who's the better QB. Right now, thats not the case. 

Where are you getting this from? All indications have been Fitzpatrick has clearly been the best QB at camp. Today was a situations practice in shorts. It's nice he had a good practice, but settle down a bit here. He struggled in the full padded interquad on Saturday.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Where are you getting this from? All indications have been Fitzpatrick has clearly been the best QB at camp. Today was a situations practice in shorts. It's nic ehe had a good practice, but settle down a bit here.

No, all indications have shown that Fitz and his "hair" has been the topic of discussion and he's been overly dolled up if you will. However, reading the tweets from the practices shows (to me) that Geno is having a better preseason so far. 

I dont care if practice today was in shorts. You go out and you PRACTICE. 

47 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Per Conner Hughes, it was a mixture of 2nd and 3rd stringers.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Per Conner Hughes, it was a mixture of 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Thanks.

Good to see him eating them up. I'm looking forward to seeing him against other teams #1's. Like I've said a million times... QBs are currency in this league. Best thing for the Jets is that ALL of them pan out. 

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Where are you getting this from? All indications have been Fitzpatrick has clearly been the best QB at camp. Today was a situations practice in shorts. It's nice he had a good practice, but settle down a bit here. He struggled in the full padded interquad on Saturday.

Apparently Geno looked great in the RZ today, then during hurry-up portion he took three sacks.

IMO Fitz and Geno have been about even.  

Biggest difference is that when Geno looks good, he looks VERY good because of how well he can deliver the deep ball, but then he does something like taking the three sacks when things speed up.

Fitz has looked better throwing the deep ball than at any point last season IMO, connecting on several deep passes.  However, he throws more wobblers than you'd like, but it's the quick decision making that sets him apart from Geno.

Either way, as I've said all along, I'm thrilled that Fitz is here as disaster insurance, but I'd love one of the young kids to beat him out and take the job from him at some point this season.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I would assume that when you're playing against a mixture of 2nd and 3rd stringers, you better be throwing 6 TD's in practice. 

Agreed...Hughes also said that the majority of pracitce today was RZ so tons of opportunities to throw TD's.  I think Fitz threw 4 against the starers so basically 10 TD's through the air today between Fitz and Geno.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Thanks.

Good to see him eating them up. I'm looking forward to seeing him against other teams #1's. Like I've said a million times... QBs are currency in this league. Best thing for the Jets is that ALL of them pan out. 

How crazy would it be to have nothing but garbage at QB for several decades, only to have two or three legit options to start and play at a high level?  I know, I know...never happen....but we can hope, right?

54 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Good lord @Villain The Foe, dont' ruin the thread please. Nobody wants to hear you empty diatribes. Just bump one of your older cluster****s and talk to yourself there.

Hey, didnt @Maxman tell you to cut it the hell out already? 

I mean, I remember him telling you that specifically after that emotional diatribe of your own. I dont know, did you forget? I didnt. I recall reading that emotional diatribe and watching the owner of the site put your in your place and then I proceeded not to say anything to you, comment in any of your threads and I didnt even respond to you the last time you quoted me. Yet, for someone who feels like I have empty diatribes, all you do is issue emotional diatribes of your own, for someone who claims that I ruin your time here....since your emotional rant I havent said a word to you. Yet you seem to want to talk to me. 

What? What do you want? Do you need Max to chastise you again? I mean, I seen that you got the memo, why do you feel like ignoring it? Maybe some of the other mods need to talk to you. Maybe they just need to ban you...I dont know. But what I do know? You, like others here who claim that "this is so difficult for you" seems to love reaching for my attention. I havent said a word to you bro once Max checked you. What is your need for my attention, really? 

I dont understand, I already know why you talk about "emo" all the time, the two things you care the most for is spewing your emotions on here and your truck. Dude, go away. PLEASE. 

Leave it here, and do what Max TOLD you to do. Okay? 

Archived