Which Backups Looked Good in Preseason Game 1?

Sarge4Tide

Backups Who Looked Good to You?   

42 members have voted

1. 1. OFFENSE (check all that apply)

• RB Romar Morris
    • OT Brent Qvale
    • OT Brandon Shell
    • OG Craig Watts
    • C Wesley Johnson
    • TE Brandon Bostick
    • WR Jalin Marshall
    • WR Charone Peake
    • WR Jeremy Ross
    • Somebody Else
  2. 2. DEFENSE(check all that apply)

• DL Claude Pelon
    • DT Deon Simon
    • DL Shelby Harris
    • LB Darron Lee
    • LB Bruce Carter
    • LB Freddie Bishop
    • LB Julian Stanford
    • CB Justin Burris
    • S Doug Middleton
    • S Rontez Miles
    • Somebody Else

7 hours ago, jgb said:

tiny linebacker got a sack

John KeimESPN Staff Writer 

keim_john_m.jpg

Redskins rookie Su'a Cravens showed his speed at times in the first half vs. Atlanta, starting with a good showing on special teams. As an inside linebacker, when he read a play he shot through the line for a tackle for a loss. But when he couldn't, he could get lost in traffic because of his size against big linemen. Cravens has to play fast to be effective.

I guess other teams having the same tiny LB problem.

I say we change his name from tiny LB'er to Hybrid Safety

I thought Darren Lee, Jalin Marshall, Charone Peake, Ross all looked good. It's crazy how deep the WR's are this year. No easy drops! I hope Peake and Marshall both make the team with Anderson to the PS. We finally have a pipeline of WR's. Brandon Bostik looks huge too. He may make the team at TE b/c he can block (hopefully).

Charone Peake made more plays last night than devin smith has made in his entire career to date. 

Tiny Linebacker had 4 tackles, 1sack, 2TFL. made some plays and looked fast. 

Marshall looked good on the return, decent on offense. 

Edwards looked good overall

all good answers which INMO means GM Mac has done noce job giving Jets something we havent had in long time,,,,,DRUM ROLLLLLLLL... Depth!!!

Many of the beat writers said Morris had horrid OL blocking by time he was in game but showed his speed on a screen. I think his speed is needed on STs, be great to find him a spot or worst case on Practice Squad to be activated when someone goes down (No Mod jokes)

7 hours ago, #bman said:

I thought Darren Lee, Jalin Marshall, Charone Peake, Ross all looked good. It's crazy how deep the WR's are this year. No easy drops! I hope Peake and Marshall both make the team with Anderson to the PS. We finally have a pipeline of WR's. Brandon Bostik looks huge too. He may make the team at TE b/c he can block (hopefully).

That almost TD by Anderson was a man's catch.  I'd have a hard time cutting a guy who plays the ball like that.  That kind of speed + ball skills = NFL receiver.

6 hours ago, Barkus said:

Charone Peake made more plays last night than devin smith has made in his entire career to date. 

Tiny Linebacker had 4 tackles, 1sack, 2TFL. made some plays and looked fast. 

Marshall looked good on the return, decent on offense. 

Edwards looked good overall

To be fair, Devin Smith missed most of training camp and all of the preseason.  

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

John KeimESPN Staff Writer 

keim_john_m.jpg

Redskins rookie Su'a Cravens showed his speed at times in the first half vs. Atlanta, starting with a good showing on special teams. As an inside linebacker, when he read a play he shot through the line for a tackle for a loss. But when he couldn't, he could get lost in traffic because of his size against big linemen. Cravens has to play fast to be effective.

I guess other teams having the same tiny LB problem.

I say we change his name from tiny LB'er to Hybrid Safety

The actual term is $LB which is the Money LineBacker. 

The extra defensive back in the nickel is called the “Star.” The sixth DB in the dime plays the “Money” position.

The terms for these important positions originated during Saban’s days as the defensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns and coach Bill Belichick, from 1991-94.

“In the old days, I called the fifth defensive back nickel back, and we never really played six defensive backs,” he said.

The middle linebacker (Mike) and the weak inside linebacker (Will) stayed in the game, and a defensive back replaced the strong outside linebacker (Sam).

“Well, when I went to Cleveland, everything that Bill Belichick does has some purpose, from what you call blitz to what you call fire-zone front,” Saban said.

“The Star really is the Sam, so he wanted an s-word for that position. When you put six guys in the game, whether it's a sub linebacker or a sixth defensive back, we had nickel, dime, dollar. Different money terms.

The sixth defensive back takes the place of the weak inside linebacker.

“But when you talk to players, you can say, 'Look, these linebackers on the team are all going to play Money. These DBs on the team are going to learn how to play Money,'” Saban said.

Because when it comes to the assignments of the defense, the position is the same. It's just they've got four wideouts in there now, so the linebacker can't cover, so we put another DB in there. That make sense?

So we just started calling that the Money position. It could be nickel, dime or dollar. That was Bill's sort of system, but it made lots of sense to me. Just like everything else we did, we categorized things for the players. I think it made it better for the players.”

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Well familiar with the term but no one seems to be calling him that

Maybe Hybrid will get their attention and explain his position in a better light for these knuckleheads

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Well familiar with the term but no one seems to be calling him that

Maybe Hybrid will get their attention and explain his position in a better light for these knuckleheads

Explanation above.

the 4th Dime Back was the $ back, but now you have much more nimble athletes so it seems they decided to place a "small" LB w/coverage ability to be the $-Back, i.e. $LB. Darren Lee is the epitome of how that position has evolved as football players got bigger. So instead of having a 185b DB to cover the spread back in the 90's, you now have a 230 lbs. LB w/ the SAME coverage ability and more POP in the tackles playing in that position instead.

was a bit disappointed in J. Marshall he had a nice kickoff return but he also dropped a few balls that were very catchable...it was his first preseason game and he is a rookie but the way they built him up in training camp I thought he would have done a bit more. Peake looked pretty sharp and Ross looked pretty decent too.

On defense I thought Burris and Middleton looked pretty decent nothing really blew me away on the defensive side of the ball but the two of them always seemed to be where they needed to be.

Miles has been playing really good football for years now. He's become one of my favorites. I believe it was the Giant(?) game last year where he had the game winning pick when CPIII was out. He plays hard and pops off the screen. Been with us for a while now as well. Deserves that 3rd or 4th Safety slot.

Jalin Marshall deserves to be our KR/PR. He's much more explosive than Ross and his route running impressed me. Would like to see him as our 3rd WR tbh. 

The extra defensive back in the nickel is called the “Star.” The sixth DB in the dime plays the “Money” position.

The terms for these important positions originated during Saban’s days as the defensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns and coach Bill Belichick, from 1991-94.

“In the old days, I called the fifth defensive back nickel back, and we never really played six defensive backs,” he said.

The middle linebacker (Mike) and the weak inside linebacker (Will) stayed in the game, and a defensive back replaced the strong outside linebacker (Sam).

“Well, when I went to Cleveland, everything that Bill Belichick does has some purpose, from what you call blitz to what you call fire-zone front,” Saban said.

“The Star really is the Sam, so he wanted an s-word for that position. When you put six guys in the game, whether it's a sub linebacker or a sixth defensive back, we had nickel, dime, dollar. Different money terms.

The sixth defensive back takes the place of the weak inside linebacker.

“But when you talk to players, you can say, 'Look, these linebackers on the team are all going to play Money. These DBs on the team are going to learn how to play Money,'” Saban said.

Because when it comes to the assignments of the defense, the position is the same. It's just they've got four wideouts in there now, so the linebacker can't cover, so we put another DB in there. That make sense?

So we just started calling that the Money position. It could be nickel, dime or dollar. That was Bill's sort of system, but it made lots of sense to me. Just like everything else we did, we categorized things for the players. I think it made it better for the players.”

Cool post. Although Revis is gonna hold out until he is called 'sawbuck'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Mecca said:

Miles has been playing really good football for years now. He's become one of my favorites. I believe it was the Giant(?) game last year where he had the game winning pick when CPIII was out. He plays hard and pops off the screen. Been with us for a while now as well. Deserves that 3rd or 4th Safety slot.

Jalin Marshall deserves to be our KR/PR. He's much more explosive than Ross and his route running impressed me. Would like to see him as our 3rd WR tbh. 

I too have a Man Crush on Miles. 

As far as #3 W/R I think Enunwa has sown that up for this upcoming season. Giving Amaro the H back spot 

Marshall comes in on 4 wide while Devin Smith is out. 

What a great problem to have... in past years our depth at receiver was putrid

Saw Kerley on Detroit last night. Made a couple of big drops but went 5/45

Fitz if kept upright by the Oline should surpass last year with the additions of Forte, Amaro, Jalin/Peake or Ross. Fitz biggest problem was his penchant to force throws to Marshall & Decker while they were double & sometimes triple covered.

If Fitz spreads the ball around & picks out the single covered & uncovered players this year the offense should be the best we've seen in years. Fitzy is pretty streaky so moving the chains could help in keeping more rhythm in the offense & keep him dialed in.

Seriously, when you look at the AFC East not one team, Pats, Bills, Fins have the depth to cover all of the targets the Jets now have. Gronk creates that problem covering the Pats. If Enunwa has truly arrived & Amaro learns how to block somewhat efficiantly, we get an emerging youngster from Jalin, Peake, Forte sneaking out of the backfield is truly unstoppable.

I'm sorry, no one has the depth & talent to cover them all! Chandler Jones, Ninkovic & Collins have been the Jets nemesis when Geno played QB here. BB knew damn well speeding Geno up would ruin his rhythm, that's not gonna be the case with Fitz with all of these dump off outlets & him getting the ball out quickly. Forte & Powell can both run out of the spread & both can catch and run. Plus, with everyone spread out Fitz legs also come into play to convert & move the chains. I would imagine Fitz is pretty, pretty, pretty excited about his surrounding cast this year.

Archived