Possible Geno Smith VS Bryce Petty battle for the #2 job.

Lupz27

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

More interested to see how some fans handle it. ;)

Joking aside, this is all good for the Jets. I've said it a ton, QBs are currency. We are overdue to 'hit' on one, if not several. The light seemed to go on for Petty after he had an abysmal 0-fer day at camp. Since then, he's been balling out. 

This is a fun 'problem' to have in preseason, rather than punches, arrests, and holdouts!

Word Ape.

I mean, Petty and Geno may not be All Pro out there, but its nice to have a situation where we may actually have a few valid QB options on the roster. (even if its NEXT season) Personally, I hold the utmost hope that our QBs down the roster are servicable players, and I have since 1979. This year, it actually feels like I'm not pissing into the wind with that hope. 

Maybe I will be proven wrong in the near future, but it wont be the first time, and unfortunately probably not the last. So F it, I'm happy at this moment.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Lupz27 said:

Yes as of now it is Geno's spot.  But I also think he did not reiterate his previous statements to keep the media at bay, that is my opinion on the situation, maybe saying he is talking out of both sides of his mouth was not the right way to put it.

If you don't think Petty can still wrestle the #2 job from Geno your just not paying attention IMO.

OK. So this is basically Geno's job to lose based on what the coach said. 

Now with that out the way, if Petty outperforms Geno then Petty deserves the spot. But credit needs to be given that Bowles made it clear that the job is Geno's to lose, and not that it's an open competition. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

But you just said that you think he's talking out of both sides of his mouth. Bowles just now said that the #2 spot is Geno's. Do you give it credibility because Bowles said it?

I also think Geno should be the #2 QB on this team, and should have been given a chance to be #1, but that did not happen, and on top of him not getting a chance to compete for QB 1 his coach also said his job as #2 was not safe, so yes I do think Bowles does not think highly of Geno, and will dethrone him from #2 if Petty gives him a reason to, and regardless of what he said on Saturday to the media Petty will get every chance to win that #2 job IMO (and I disagree with all of it).

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Bowles seems to change his mind day to day.

that's dated july 30 ?

50 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If anything, I think this is just Bowles not wanting to deal with everything he had to deal with from anointing Fitz at the end of 2015. If you don't create the story then the press won't annoy you about it.

probably, last season he tended to give the sharks too much info, he was too honest for his own good, let's hope he learned his lesson.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

I also think Geno should be the #2 QB on this team, and should have been given a chance to be #1, but that did not happen, and on top of him not getting a chance to compete for QB 1 his coach also said his job as #2 was not safe, so yes I do think Bowles does not think highly of Geno, and will dethrone him from #2 if Petty gives him a reason to, and regardless of what he said on Saturday to the media Petty will get every chance to win that #2 job IMO (and I disagree with all of it).

With all that said, Bowles made it clear that if Fitz resigned he'd be the guy, and that's what happened. No need to think that Bowles is going to act different now. From what we see from the outside looking in is that Bowles says what he means. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

OK. So this is basically Geno's job to lose based on what the coach said. 

Now with that out the way, if Petty outperforms Geno then Petty deserves the spot. But credit needs to be given that Bowles made it clear that the job is Geno's to lose, and not that it's an open competition. 

Where I differ is that regardless of what Bowles said to the media he is handling it as an open competition just with Geno as #2 when the competition started, and today for the first time you saw Petty get #2 reps ahead of Geno in practice, to me that is telling, you can take it the way you want to, I will take it the way I see it, and again I don't agree with it, so it is not like I am coming from a position of Bias against Geno.

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Man, this REALLY explained alot just now. 

Im done! lol. 

So am I 

someone he keeps making excuses for a this guy...something is wrong with you...let it go dude he sucks.

and my point was this idiot is getting millions of dollars to play a game and he gives the very people who let him play it the finger?

and let's not forget the other times he was childish shall we

how about draft day hissy fit? Ring a bell?

lets not even get into all the IK stuff

then there is his tweet today which to me makes no sense since it seems all the beat writers have been in his corner for some time and then he does that bone headed tweet?

but let's talk football.  I watched the game 2x on dvr with slow motion and what I saw was the same old scared Geno

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yes as of now it is Geno's spot.  But I also think he did not reiterate his previous statements to keep the media at bay, that is my opinion on the situation, maybe saying he is talking out of both sides of his mouth was not the right way to put it.

If you don't think Petty can still wrestle the #2 job from Geno your just not paying attention IMO.

I think "double talk" is what you meant Lupz.

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

With all that said, Bowles made it clear that if Fitz resigned he'd be the guy, and that's what happened. No need to think that Bowles is going to act different now. From what we see from the outside looking in is that Bowles says what he means. 

I think you are correct in saying Bowles for the most part means what he says, but he also got killed for saying that, and was to honest last year with the media, and POSSIBLY he is starting to play things a little closer to the cuff now that he has got some more experience with the hacks that cover this team.

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I think Petty could, but that doesn't mean Bowles has to begin bullsh*tting if you will. If Petty earns the spot Bowles will reward him. And if he does then I believe Bowles will make it clear that he did, along with footage to support the decision. 

3 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Wow, not cool, not sure I will ever understand the level of disdain some fans have for Geno

Sanchez gave us the "buttfumble" what has Geno done?

He wanted to leave radio city when he wasn't picked in the 1st round. I sh*t you not, that has been one of the reasons made lol. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I think Petty could, but that doesn't mean Bowles has to begin bullsh*tting if you will. If Petty earns the spot Bowles will reward him. And if he does then I believe Bowles will make it clear that he did, along with footage to support the decision. 

Thats fine and well.  I think Bowles wants Petty to show him he is good enough to be #2 even if it means he isn't as good as Geno, but good enough for him to trust him with the back up job because Bowles does not think highly of Geno, again this is the opinion I have formed from watching what has transpired since last offseason, I get that you disagree with this point, and you have every right to disagree because what I am stating is just an opinion I have formed after looking back at every turn since Bowles got here.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I think you are correct in saying Bowles for the most part means what he says, but he also got killed for saying that, and was to honest last year with the media, and POSSIBLY he is starting to play things a little closer to the cuff now that he has got some more experience with the hacks that cover this team.

Then if that's what you think then you can't use anything the man says, even if it's in support of your position because his words can't hold any value from what you're alluding. 

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Thats fine and well.  I think Bowles wants Petty to show him he is good enough to be #2 even if it means he isn't as good as Geno, but good enough for him to trust him with the back up job because Bowles does not think highly of Geno, again this is the opinion I have formed from watching what has transpired since last offseason, I get that you disagree with this point, and you have every right to disagree because what I am stating is just an opinion I have formed after looking back at every turn since Bowles got here.

I think it makes for a good drama that Bowles wants that. What if he does but Geno outperforms, then what?

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I think it makes for a good drama that Bowles wants that. What if he does but Geno outperforms, then what?

IMO Geno should have been playing for QB 1, he did not get that chance.  If he does outperform he puts the Jets in a tough spot having to hold onto 4 QB's, something no team really wants to ever have to do.  So I think in a perfect world for Bowles Petty makes Geno expendable, Geno does not make Petty expendable that is where the real problem lies for this team. 

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

What I can't understand is Bowles was ok having petty as the number 2 last year for how many games while Geno was out with his jaw injury.   

It is my opinion as a Geno hater is that after pre game number three Geno getting cut.   

1 minute ago, Joe Jets fan said:

What I can't understand is Bowles was ok having petty as the number 2 last year for how many games while Geno was out with his jaw injury.   

It is my opinion as a Geno hater is that after pre game number three Geno getting cut.   

I said just 2, or 3 days ago that anyone who thinks Geno was getting cut was foolish, BUT after looking more closely to the situation I just don't think Bowles, and the Jets want him around, and hope Petty can be the guy to allow them to cut him.  I don't think Geno should be cut personally I think he is the best guy for the job this season at #2, and think he should have been given a shot at #1, but realistically looking at how the team seems to want it to shake out has made me take a different stance on what MIGHT happen after preseason gm 3 that there is a chance Geno will not be with this team, and I would not agree with it.

11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

IMO Geno should have been playing for QB 1, he did not get that chance.  If he does outperform he puts the Jets in a tough spot having to hold onto 4 QB's, something no team really wants to ever have to do.  So I think in a perfect world for Bowles Petty makes Geno expendable, Geno does not make Petty expendable that is where the real problem lies for this team. 

Geno did, however he participated in a disagreement that got out of control and he was basically assaulted. If I can blame IK for being violent and not controlling himself which led to his dismissal from the team then I have to also say that Geno's lack of defusing the situation cost him the starting role during a time when he FINALLY had all he needed in regards to talent and coaching. I have to disagree, Geno not only had a shot, he wasn't even in danger at the time of losing it. 

I don't think highly of Fitz, or I should say as highly as the pedestal many have placed him on, but in all reality Geno gets that job back one of two ways. He become elite or Fitz gets hurt. As of right now he simply needs to focus one playing three masterful preseason games moving forward

Maybe the Bowles comment was to keep some value on Geno for a possible trade.  There are a number of teams out there that would be better served with Geno at #2 than what they have.  If Petty continues to develop and they don't see much separation between him and Geno, they could roll the dice, move Geno and run with Petty backing up Fitz. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Geno did, however he participated in a disagreement that got out of control and he was basically assaulted. If I can blame IK for being violent and not controlling himself which led to his dismissal from the team then I have to also say that Geno's lack of defusing the situation cost him the starting role during a time when he FINALLY had all he needed in regards to talent and coaching. I have to disagree, Geno not only had a shot, he wasn't even in danger at the time of losing it. 

I don't think highly of Fitz, or I should say as highly as the pedestal many have placed him on, but in all reality Geno gets that job back one of two ways. He become elite or Fitz gets hurt. As of right now he simply needs to focus one playing three masterful preseason games moving forward

Your talking about 2015, I am talking about the here, and now.  Here, and now Geno did not get a shot to be QB 1 for 2016, from what I have seen all signs point to this coaching staff to want to be rid of Geno for some reason.  I am not discussing 2015 any further.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

You pretty much read into that what you wanted. I've been on this site this weekend stating how I thought "all three QB's played well" and gave specifics on what I thought Geno did well, not just on the scoring drives, but more specifically when plays went bad, such as the botched shotgun hand off and the play when he had to throw the ball in the dirt during that Amaro screen. I dont think there's a need for me to find quotes of mine and show them to you, I think my word is good enough here. 

It only sounds like enablement because thats the tint you have on the glasses you're reading through. As for the fans and media, there's no need for me to even go into detail. Im stating the facts, not making excuses for performance. But for the sake of clarifying, im saying that it doesnt matter what Geno does because the majority of what I hear about Geno has nothing to do with football. When you begin to hear about democratic conventions and just another drug dealer, one can pretty much sense that the relationship between player and fan is...for the most part broken. 

Whats funny is that Geno didnt have a poor game, he simply started the game poorly along with a couple drops from receivers that he had no control over (please dont turn that into me saying im providing excuses. Im stating facts). After starting I believe 1 of 6 with a punt,  he ended 6 of 8 with a TD, a field goal and a nice 61 yard drive in the middle of it all in order to take the lead. 

I stopped reading when you led with spin. The post I quoted sets a narrative that if Geno fails, it's because EVERYTHING. Maybe not your intent, but certainly something implied by your post. Disagree? Retread your post, rather than blogging at me.

My question was rhetorical.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I see little things that are bringing this to light, not just the 1 preseason game, I have already stated in some of our conversations in the other threads that I think there is something to the thinking that this coaching staff just does not want G Smith around, but aging like I said that is just my opinion lol.

Haven't read the whole thread yet, so I don't know how it came out, but I really like the idea you presented.

Keep in mind that this time next year, odds are, neither Fitz, or smith will be under contract.  Petty will.  The Jets would really like for him to be the starting QB

Why would the coaching staff have any bias to Geno. For one thing the head coach is black so why would he be prejudiced against an African American Qb. He's not. If they were Geno wouldn't still be on the team. It's all about on the field and who gives the team their best chance to win. Geno is the second best Qb on the Jets and he's going to be the backup. Not because Bowles is being unfair to Petty. But Geno can run our O better than he can. That's it. Period. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Why would the coaching staff have any bias to Geno. For one thing the head coach is black so why would he be prejudiced against an African American Qb. He's not. If they were Geno wouldn't still be on the team. It's all about on the field and who gives the team their best chance to win. Geno is the second best Qb on the Jets and he's going to be the backup. Not because Bowles is being unfair to Petty. But Geno can run our O better than he can. That's it. Period. 

You also believe we will carry 4 QB's this season then, correct?

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Maybe the Bowles comment was to keep some value on Geno for a possible trade.  There are a number of teams out there that would be better served with Geno at #2 than what they have.  If Petty continues to develop and they don't see much separation between him and Geno, they could roll the dice, move Geno and run with Petty backing up Fitz. 

I can certainly see this happening.

any of you draft experts know what the estimated value if any (in that draft evaluator equation) Geno as our #2 QB this year sitting on the bench the whole time would give us going into the 2017 draft if we don't re-up his contract & another team signs him once he's not officially on our team anymore? Hypothetically speaking ... If no other players were to be signed or lost.  I believe I remember the bonus picks ranging from after normal  3rd round picks down to after 7th round picks.

if Mac is able to make that more worth our longterm while , than say another team offering us a 2017 7th now for Geno, that could also sway him into keeping 4 QB's now & losing a borderline player elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I stopped reading when you led with spin. The post I quoted sets a narrative that if Geno fails, it's because EVERYTHING. Maybe not your intent, but certainly something implied by your post. Disagree? Retread your post, rather than blogging at me.

My question was rhetorical.

No need for us to hold the conversation then. That's cool. 

Bowles' comments are nothing more than someone thinking prudently. You don't get overly excited after one preseason game.

But Petty's performance which was either slightly better/worse/or the same, (depending on your own opinion) gave himself more reps with the #2's at practice says more than anything Bowels would comment on to the media. 

If Petty keeps it up he'll go from being on the cut bubble to pushing for starter next season. That is what real camp competition by a real organization will do to your players. Non of this "Sanchez-Tebow, Geno-Vick" crap. 

7 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Your talking about 2015, I am talking about the here, and now.  Here, and now Geno did not get a shot to be QB 1 for 2016, from what I have seen all signs point to this coaching staff to want to be rid of Geno for some reason.  I am not discussing 2015 any further.

If you dont want to discuss the reason why/how he lost his job along with what transpired afterward based on the year that it happened, then its hard to have any sort of detailed conversation on the matter itself. There's a reason why Geno didnt get a shot at QB 1, and that reason stems from the season prior. Ignoring that fact does nothing. I am a supporter of Geno getting that opportunity, but that doesnt mean that I should ignore how the situation transpired and then making a conclusion that they dont "want him around" because im ignoring how it happened because of the year in which it happened. 

That would be similar to taking one statement from Bowles that supports an opinion while ignoring another statement "because". 

Geno is in the last year of his contract, he's enemy number 1 to a large segment of the Jet fan base (he's booed in preseason games for gods sake). Don't for one moment think that does not come up in conversations with the people in charge of this team.

Being an NFL QB is difficult, it makes it much harder when you know the fan base hates you. Geno can put on a good face but he's proven before he's not that mentally strong or makes smart decisions. You don't hear fans booing Petty incompletions.

Macc did an awesome job bringing in some exciting UDFAs that are flashing. I don't want to carry 4 QBs & have to lose any of these players that can help our future & reduce our salary cap.

My feeling is this, if Fitz gets hurt I don't think either Geno has shown he's any better than Petty so I'd like to see Petty play Genos reps with better WRs & Oline. Would you re-up with the Jets & this fan base if your Geno Smith? I'd be looking for a new start. It's much better for the Jets overall if Petty grabs the #2, someone gives the Jets a late pick for Geno because our chances of getting to the playoffs with either one are tentative at best.

12 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Petty had a nice game 1 and deserved some reps with the 2's. 

Lets see how both men handle it next game. I'll say this, Bowles isnt playing. 

Yeah, let's see what Petty can do against #2s as opposed to playing against n with #3s and #4s. 

Archived