NFL: Al-Jazeera-implicated players must speak or face suspension

Gas2No99

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Have you even seen the Al Jazeera report? You are acting as if Al Jazeera just made up a story. There was an in depth investigation. The NFL has a right to make harrison/Matthews answer questions. No one forces these guys to play in the NFL. If my boss calls me into his office to ask me questions about something they "heard" about, I am going to answer those questions. NFL players sometimes think they can do what they want. They can't. Tom Brady learned that the hard way. 

Lucky for you, you are not famous.  Any time these guys are out in public they are a target. @Warfish must live the life of an alter boy.  If my employer had me mic'd up or if someone was recording my every move at a bar, i might be a bit embarassed at all the sh!t i talk after a few beers(maybe even before the beers). How I speak in my professional life as a C level exec and how I speak to family and friends is a bit different.  Same with my conduct. Now I am a law abiding citizen but even then, some lines tend to get crossed every now and again.  Just my $0.02, these guys are no angels and neither am I.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ok.

Yes.

The story could be in the National Enquirer too, before you ask.

Questioning the employees/contractors, i.e. the players, is purely at the discretion of the League.

What are you afraid of exactly here?  What is your specific objection/offense over an employer questioning their contractors as to those contractors adherence to company rules based on a legitimate media report?

Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Kirsty Alley, Jennifer Aniston and the whole royal family should be thrown in jail.  I am pretty sure I saw it on the cover while checking out at publix.

1 minute ago, whodeawhodat said:

Lucky for you, you are not famous.  Any time these guys are out in public they are a target. @Warfish must live the life of an alter boy.  If my employer had me mic'd up or if someone was recording my every move at a bar, i might be a bit embarassed at all the sh!t i talk after a few beers(maybe even before the beers). How I speak in my professional life as a C level exec and how I speak to family and friends is a bit different.  Same with my conduct. Now I am a law abiding citizen but even then, some lines tend to get crossed every now and again.  Just my $0.02, these guys are no angels and neither am I.

Ugh, how anyone talks outside of work, in a bar after a few beers, whatever is a whole lot different than being accused by a Dr of taking PEDs.  One is illegal and is being equated with loose lips?  WHats the big deal, why is it bothersome that they can't sit down to talk?  If you're clean there is no issue.  Ignoring the report, not being called in doesn't change the risk of whatever you're imagining players have to live with.  Accusations have always been part of the job.  Always 

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Dudes... If guys on the Al Jazeera report don't cooperate, and the NFL doesn't hammer then, then the "Brady's suspension was partially because he didn't cooperate" loophole gets opened up. The NFL is going to be extremely stringent on punishing anyone that doesn't cooperate, so that they can retroactively establish premise for the Brady punishment.

I think that is why they made a point that Peyton cooperated during the press release. 

34 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Have you even seen the Al Jazeera report? You are acting as if Al Jazeera just made up a story. There was an in depth investigation. The NFL has a right to make harrison/Matthews answer questions. No one forces these guys to play in the NFL. If my boss calls me into his office to ask me questions about something they "heard" about, I am going to answer those questions. NFL players sometimes think they can do what they want. They can't. Tom Brady learned that the hard way. 

They would not have just made up the story they obviously were onto something

My 2cents which isn't worth much in today's economy or here either. If the NFL "contractually" states that allegations of any wrongdoing needs to be investigated with interviews then the players have an obligation to do so. The NFL has a drug testing program. If they have complied with that program and have tested clean IMO they have satisfied their obligations. Anybody can say anything to sell papers and obtain recognition whether true or false. I guess the investigation with Manning proved false so their credibility is already in the tank as far as I'm concerned. Maybe they have done PEDs at some point in their career and haven't got caught so to get up in front of a panel and answer questions like, "have you ever done steroids or hgh" may be something they don't want to entertain. If you think  players in the NFL are all natural I think you're a little naive.  

55 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Lucky for you, you are not famous.

Yes.  How lucky for me.  No fame, no millions.

Yup.  Lucky.

Any time these guys are out in public they are a target.

No they're not.  Most of these guys are utterly anonymous in public if they choose to be.  Especially in the Helmet-wearing NFL.  They choose to make themselves targets via their lifestyle choices and personal decisions.  

If my employer had me mic'd up or if someone was recording my every move at a bar, i might be a bit embarassed at all the sh!t i talk after a few beers(maybe even before the beers).

Use of PED's is a bit more serious than "random sh*t talk at a bar whilst drunk".

How I speak in my professional life as a C level exec and how I speak to family and friends is a bit different.  Same with my conduct.

And yet, if you were publicly accused by a major media network of breaking some of the most serious rules of your employer, you should (in a just world) be hauled in to account.  And I bet you would be.

Now I am a law abiding citizen but even then, some lines tend to get crossed every now and again.  Just my $0.02, these guys are no angels and neither am I.

Once again, use of PED's is not "a little line cross".  Next to gambling, it's one of the most serious rule violations this league has.

The collective bargaining agreement allows it, the league wants it, it is what it is.  

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

notice they waited until peyton is long gone

False. Peyton cooperated fully and from the start, including making himself immediately available for questioning, as well as making both his and his wife's full medical records available for the investigation. If they had wanted his phone, there's no doubt he would have provided it.

It's what people who have nothing to hide do. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Wherever the employer wants it to be, as long as it's within the law.

Yes.

But in this case it's a legit News agency.  People can hurf-a-blurf their "But theys is turrists!" bigotry all they like, it won't change that fact.

Manning went in, spoke, and was cleared.  No reason to expect the others won;t as well if the evidence is as flimsy as you seem to think.

So why not go in if asked?  if the league disciplines them on bad evidence, they can always sue.

Yes, you are.

Be assured, your employer wouldn't be overly worried about the quality of evidence before they spoke with you.

Too bad.  Don't cheat, don't do illegal drugs, don't club at 3:00 am and hit people, etc.

Not too much to ask for the millions they make in return.

No pity or sympathy of any kind.

Al Jazeera America isn't even in business anymore,

49 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

My 2cents which isn't worth much in today's economy or here either. If the NFL "contractually" states that allegations of any wrongdoing needs to be investigated with interviews then the players have an obligation to do so. The NFL has a drug testing program. If they have complied with that program and have tested clean IMO they have satisfied their obligations. Anybody can say anything to sell papers and obtain recognition whether true or false. I guess the investigation with Manning proved false so their credibility is already in the tank as far as I'm concerned. Maybe they have done PEDs at some point in their career and haven't got caught so to get up in front of a panel and answer questions like, "have you ever done steroids or hgh" may be something they don't want to entertain. If you think  players in the NFL are all natural I think you're a little naive.  

Only response needed in this thread. They have a protocol in place that was agreed upon by the NFLPA & NFL regarding substance abuse. If they were tested & came up clean, that's all that matters. No need to take the reporting of a defunct "news agency". 

12 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Only response needed in this thread. They have a protocol in place that was agreed upon by the NFLPA & NFL regarding substance abuse. If they were tested & came up clean, that's all that matters. No need to take the reporting of a defunct "news agency". 

Pretty sure if there is evidence that someone took PEDs they can be suspended even if they never test positive. The Al Jazeera report, which I am sure you never watched, was pretty damning to many players. The allegations against Peyton were VERY circumstantial and easy for Peyton to refute. The evidence against Harrison and Matthews (and others) was very damning which is why these guys are avoiding NFL offices like the plague. 

Edit to add:Taylor Teagarden, from MLB, was suspended 80 games based SOLELY on the Al Jazeera report.  

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/02/baseball-player-ensnared-by-al-jazeera-report-suspended-80-games/

Via USA Today, a statement from the MLB announcing the move did not mention a failed drug test, referring instead generally to a “violation” of the sport’s drug prevention and treatment program.

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Pretty sure if there is evidence that someone took PEDs they can be suspended even if they never test positive. The Al Jazeera report, which I am sure you never watched, was pretty damning to many players. The allegations against Peyton were VERY circumstantial and easy for Peyton to refute. The evidence against Harrison and Matthews (and others) was very damning which is why these guys are avoiding NFL offices like the plague. 

Edit to add:Taylor Teagarden, from MLB, was suspended 80 games based SOLELY on the Al Jazeera report.  

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/02/baseball-player-ensnared-by-al-jazeera-report-suspended-80-games/

Via USA Today, a statement from the MLB announcing the move did not mention a failed drug test, referring instead generally to a “violation” of the sport’s drug prevention and treatment program.

How can they have evidence if they've never tested positive other than heresay evidence?

3 hours ago, MaxAF said:

How can they have evidence if they've never tested positive other than heresay evidence?

I know most of JN will never admit, but what definitive proof did Goodell have against Brady?  Deflator?  McNally in the bathroom for 90 secs?  None.  He does not need evidence.

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think Peyton was let off.  The NFL does not want to drag another potential G.O.A.T. QB through the mud.

So the most trusted and likable player of the last 20 years was free and clear after 7 months of investigations and the other four are guilty?  MMmookkaayyy!!!!  He 'cooperated' and the NFL was "nothing to see here".

There is an excellent article in the Washington Times how Goodell's power was a mutual agreement meant to turn public perception about the league, but has made the NFL look even worse in the public's eye.

17 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I did, and its the same doctor who recanted his story. I think what people are failing to realize is that for players like James Harrison, who has been suspended & fined by the commisioner multiple times (some warranted others not), is this is more than talking about a bogus claim & stating 'I didn't take steroids'. It's about trying to stand up to what they see as an unfair power structure. One that can summon you & suspend you at any time, regardless of what the issue is. 

I'm not sure what the NFL is playing at with this one. They already cleared Manning & its the same doctor, Delta-2 accusations for the other guys. Can't the NFL launch their own investigation if they think these accusation are serious enough? And if they find enough evidence, then question these guys. I think they'd have a bit more public support if they went that route instead of following a story that was already recanted. 

I never understand why random fans care so deeply and so much for NFL players having to answer for their actions.

It's almost like people think athletes, actors, etc. are simply better than they are, and as such deserve more and better protections than your average Joe.

I think those folks would be shocked to find out exactly how little a sh*t those Pro athletes give about them if the circumstances were reversed.

It's sad, really.  Defending passionate the "rights" of multi-millionaire thugs to cheat at their chosen profession, and ignorance of teh collective bargaining agreement those same players agreed to live under.  Sad.

17 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I know most of JN will never admit, but what definitive proof did Goodell have against Brady?  Deflator?  McNally in the bathroom for 90 secs?  None.  He does not need evidence.

I think Peyton was let off.  The NFL does not want to drag another potential G.O.A.T. QB through the mud.

So the most trusted and likable player of the last 20 years was free and clear after 7 months of investigations and the other four are guilty?  MMmookkaayyy!!!!  He 'cooperated' and the NFL was "nothing to see here".

There is an excellent article in the Washington Times how Goodell's power was a mutual agreement meant to turn public perception about the league, but has made the NFL look even worse in the public's eye.

ummmmm.... underinflated balls?

On 8/16/2016 at 10:11 AM, Warfish said:

Fully support the NFL on this.  There is no basic human right to play in the NFL, and if you're implicated is cheating, you need to answer for it.  Just like any employee/.contractor in any other normal business.

The era of players running the asylum is over, as it damn well should be.  Now if only our justice system would do the same and stop giving these idiots slapped hands when they break the law, we'd all be better off.

/oldmancaneshake

But implicated by a Mickey Mouse outfit which is now out of business like Al Jazheera. Those douchebags have zero credibility.Plus the accusations against Brady were made by other teams. If the NFL is going to investigate stuff from incredible 3rd parties who have no role nor standing it sets a dangerous precedent. 

16 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

ummmmm.... underinflated balls?

You mean the incorrect numbers they leaked or the million dollar 'independent' investigation which despite the ref saying he used the air gauge which fell inline with the ideal gas law was  said to have mis-remembered?  Again, as I stated previously, something happened, but they had no definitive proof of it.

17 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Conspiracy theories abound in this thread.

And all of you saying 'Just cooperate if you have nothing to hide', scare the sh*t out of me. I hope none of you are in charge of other humans. 

I find that funny.  Incognito cooperated and was suspended.  Ray Rice cooperated and was suspended..twice.  Brady cooperated to an extent and was suspended.  WTF would an NFL player want to cooperate when the ginger hammer has never shown any capability of being fair and impartial.   

It is funny how Roger wants to punish players for conduct detrimental to the league when his actions since Ray Rice have probably down more damage to the reputation of the league than any PED could.

23 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

You mean the incorrect numbers they leaked or the million dollar 'independent' investigation which despite the ref saying he used the air gauge which fell inline with the ideal gas law was  said to have mis-remembered?  Again, as I stated previously, something happened, but they had no definitive proof of it.

I find that funny.  Incognito cooperated and was suspended.  Ray Rice cooperated and was suspended..twice.  Brady cooperated to an extent and was suspended.  WTF would an NFL player want to cooperate when the ginger hammer has never shown any capability of being fair and impartial.   

It is funny how Roger wants to punish players for conduct detrimental to the league when his actions since Ray Rice have probably down more damage to the reputation of the league than any PED could.

I mean the footballs that Tom Brady was using.  You can say that they just appeared in is hands but that is all BS. He(and your team) were caught using illegal footballs.  Blame it on the patsy equipment manager all you want or science, they crossed the line yet again to gain a competitive advantage.  TB pays the price. 

Archived