Jets Waiver Wire Additions Thread

32EBoozer

8 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Did you not watch game 4? They were both getting blown up by future truck drivers. Breno is not all that great, but he's a hell of a lot better than those 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta stop with the future truck drivers thing. Most of the D line players on Thursday were 2nd stringers. Also it isn't true that Qvale, and Ijjy were getting blown up. They most certainly were not. They weren't great but only gave up one sack, and it's tough to look good playing with a terrible line. 

The line is only as good as it's weakest link, and that was on everyone else. All together from Dozier, to Johnson, to Watts to Shell. Just terrible. 

The 4th preseason game is not the one you want to use to judge players however. The rest of the preseason our dueling RTs have been decent. Dozier was okay. Shell held his own, and should move to RT.

Qvale, and Ijalana are as good as Breno, and better than Winters. I'd like to upgrade them but I do not want to pay 5 mil to Breno just because he used to be okay. I'd rather cut Breno and replace Winters with that money.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

The line is only as good as it's weakest link, and that was on everyone else. All together from Dozier, to Johnson, to Watts to Shell. Just terrible. 

The 4th preseason game is not the one you want to use to judge players however. The rest of the preseason our dueling RTs have been decent. Dozier was okay. Shell held his own, and should move to RT.

I do not want to pay 5 mil to Breno just because he used to be okay. I'd rather cut Breno and replace Winters with that money.

You hit the nail on the head with these gems.

I have heard little about Qvale and Ijilana all PS. which is what you want from your OL.

Game 4 was a wreck on the offensive side of the ball for the last 3 quarters once Petty got hurt.

Eagles DLmen pinned their ears back once Hack stepped on the field.

You can't hold off your players when the rest of the line is collapsing to the left of you.

Hopefully Sitton can be persuaded to come and lock down the RG position which will help immensely our RT position.

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

You hit the nail on the head with these gems.

I have heard little about Qvale and Ijilana all PS. which is what you want from your OL.

Game 4 was a wreck on the offensive side of the ball for the last 3 quarters once Petty got hurt.

Eagles DLmen pinned their ears back once Have stepped on the field.

You can't hold off your players when the rest of the line is collapsing to the lest of you.

Hopefully Sitton can be persuaded to come and lock down the RG position which will help immensely our RT position.

Yes, it's tough to look good at RT when the RG is giving ground. You want to push the edge to the outside downfield, but if the pocket is collapsing the QB cannot step up. 

Jet fans.

2015: 'We suck, they need to get better, we have no depth!'

2016: 'Bring back Kenrick Ellis, Darrin Walls, and all the depth players we had last year! Don't cut the guys who've made zero contributions since being drafted yet!'

Not sure if idiotic, psychotic, or both.

10 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Hope so.  Though Ellis has already played well here.  If I remember correctly, Snacks made Ellis expendable and I was disappointed to see him go.

Now I'm not saying we have to get a NT.  Especially if Simon has been playing well.  Ellis is just someone I'd definitely look into.  He was just cut, so may come cheap.

As a fan, I absolutely love seeing the D completely destroy any opponent's running game.  It demoralizes 'em.  A dude like Ellis goes a long way in stopping an opponent on 4th and inches.

Ellis isn't good.

12 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Pretty much what I was thinking - A healthy Ijalana/Qvale is at least as good as Giacomini, maybe even better as they are both younger with some room to improve.

Plus you save 5 million in CAP space.

Would have been one of the first moves I made today.

I'm not sure if this is true but it could be the Jets can only cut Beno for performance to save the cap $$$..Since he is injured if they were to cut him wouldn't save the $5M in cap space...I'm not sure. I just remember reading something like that when D'Brick & Mangold signed their contracts last time. 

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I'm not sure if this is true but it could be the Jets can only cut Beno for performance to save the cap $$$..Since he is injured if they were to cut him wouldn't save the $5M in cap space...I'm not sure. I just remember reading something like that when D'Brick & Mangold signed their contracts last time. 

Maybe that's why Breno is injured. Seems to me that back pain cannot be proven, or disproven. He didn't actually get injured. Just had some pain that never went away.

4 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Maybe that's why Breno is injured. Seems to me that back pain cannot be proven, or disproven. He didn't actually get injured. Just had some pain that never went away.

Thought I read he said it occurred during OTAs / mini-camp..

13 minutes ago, C Mart said:

It's hard for to believe that there is not some kind of injury clause in the contract to protect the team.

Particularly since Cimini and others have been talking about the CAP savings by cutting him for a good chunk of the last month.

I would think he would get some kind of injury settlement if it came down to it, but, I don't think that would affect his CAP number much - if at all.

I could be wrong though.

Just now, ARodJetsFan said:

It's hard for to believe that there is not some kind of injury clause in the contract to protect the team.

Particularly since Cimini and others have been talking about the CAP savings by cutting him for a good chunk of the last month.

I would think he would get some kind of injury settlement if it came down to it but I don't think that would affect his CAP number much - if at all.

I'm not an attorney:

8.                                      PHYSICAL CONDITION.  Player represents to Club that he is and will maintain himself in excellent physical condition. Player will undergo a complete physical examination by the Club physician upon Club request, during which physical examination Player agrees to make full and complete disclosure of any physical or mental condition known to him which might impair his performance under this contract and to respond fully and in good faith when questioned by the Club physician about such condition. If Player fails to establish or maintain his excellent physical condition to the satisfaction of the Club physician, or make the required full and complete disclosure and good faith responses to the Club physician, then Club may terminate this contract.

9.                                      INJURY.  Unless this contract specifically provides otherwise, if Player is injured in the performance of his services under this contract and promptly reports such injury to the Club physician or trainer, then Player will receive such medical and hospital care during the term of this contract as the Club physician may deem necessary, and will continue to receive his yearly salary for so long, during the season of injury only and for no subsequent period covered by this contract, as Player is physically unable to perform the services required of him by this contract because of such injury. If Player’s injury in the performance of his services under this contract results in his death, the unpaid balance of his yearly salary for the season of injury will be paid to his stated beneficiary, or in the absence of a stated beneficiary, to his estate.

10.                               WORKERS’ COMPENSATION.  Any compensation paid to Player under this contract or under any collective bargaining agreement in existence during the term of this contract for a period during which he is entitled to workers’ compensation benefits by reason of temporary total, permanent total, temporary partial, or permanent partial disability will be deemed an advance payment of workers’ compensation benefits due Player, and Club will be entitled to be reimbursed the amount of such payment out of any award of workers’ compensation.

11.                               SKILL, PERFORMANCE AND CONDUCT.  Player understands that he is competing with other players for a position on Club’s roster within the applicable player limits. If at any time, in the sole judgement of Club, Player’s skill or performance has been unsatisfactory as compared with that of other players competing for positions on Club’s roster, or if Player has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to adversely affect or reflect on Club, then Club may terminate this contract. In addition, during the period any salary cap is legally in effect, this contract may be terminated if, in Club’s opinion, Player is anticipated to make less of a contribution to Club’s ability to compete on the playing field than another player or players who Club intends to sign or attempts to sign, or another player or players who is or are already on Club’s roster, and for whom Club needs room.

12.                               TERMINATION.  The rights of termination set forth in this contract will be in addition to any other rights of termination allowed either party by law. Termination will be effective upon the giving of written notice, except that Player’s death, other than as a result of injury incurred in the performance of his services under this contract, will automatically terminate this contract. If this contract is terminated by Club and either Player or Club so requests, Player will promptly undergo a complete physical examination by the Club physician.

13.                               INJURY GRIEVANCE.  Unless a collective bargaining agreement in existence at the time of termination of this contract by Club provides otherwise, the following injury grievance procedure will apply: If Player believes that at the time of termination of this contract by Club he was physically unable to perform the services required of him by this contract because of an injury incurred in the performance of his services under this contract, Player may, within 60 days after examination by the Club physician, submit at his own expense to examination by a physician of his choice. If the opinion of Player’s physician with respect to his physical ability to perform the services required of him by this contract is contrary to that of the Club’s physician, the dispute will be submitted within a reasonable time to final and binding arbitration by an arbitrator selected by Club and Player or, if they are unable to agree, one selected in accordance with the procedures of the American Arbitration Association on application by either party.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1573683/000104746913009713/a2216998zex-10_3.htm

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I'm not an attorney:

9.                                      INJURY.  Unless this contract specifically provides otherwise, if Player is injured in the performance of his services under this contract and promptly reports such injury to the Club physician or trainer, then Player will receive such medical and hospital care during the term of this contract as the Club physician may deem necessary, and will continue to receive his yearly salary for so long, during the season of injury only and for no subsequent period covered by this contract, as Player is physically unable to perform the services required of him by this contract because of such injury. If Player’s injury in the performance of his services under this contract results in his death, the unpaid balance of his yearly salary for the season of injury will be paid to his stated beneficiary, or in the absence of a stated beneficiary, to his estate.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1573683/000104746913009713/a2216998zex-10_3.htm

We don't know what clauses are contained in his contract, so, this is kind of generic.

But hey I don't know, I'm not an agent or a contract guru either so....who knows.

The only thing I do know is I see injured players under contract get cut all the time.

6 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

We don't know what clauses are contained in his contract, so, this is kind of generic.

But hey I don't know, I'm not an agent or a contract guru either so....who knows.

The only thing I do know is I see injured players under contract get cut all the time.

Yeah they get cut then sign an injury settlement, but now that they officially put him on the season PUP I'm not sure how that effects the cap. I'm afraid we may be stuck with him at this point.

They need to fix this sh*t in the next CBA. Players that are not on the roster should not count against the cap. I know Belichick would ruin this somehow. 

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

Yeah they get cut then sign an injury settlement, but now that they officially put him on the season PUP I'm not sure how that effects the cap. I'm afraid we may be stuck with him at this point.

Yeah....This is the one situation where it seems like the front office dropped the ball.

Just now, ARodJetsFan said:

Yeah....This is the one situation where it seems like the front office dropped the ball.

they might not have a choice unless they want to incur cap charges$$

like you previously said, we don't know what's in the contract language and we aren't a cap experts

44 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Daniel Thomas was cut again yesterday by the Fins. I know he's had hammys and didn't play last year. But he was a good situational back for a while. I guess he doesn't have much left in the tank but might we worth it to bring him in for a try out. 

Puts it on the ground too much

35 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look, the Jets might not bring in vets until after game 1. They will go with the cheaper guys. Cleveland has like 17 rookies on their roster. After game 1 if they cut the player it won't be as expensive. 

This is a good point.  While there will still surely be some waiver moves happening today, as every team does that, when it comes to the bottom of the chart / roster bubble guys, there's definitely a benefit to keeping the younger guys for now.  Any veteran player who is on the opening day roster will have their full year's salary guaranteed, so like you said, teams will go with the rookies / young guys first, and then do a little more moving from there.  There's only that much more incentive to do things like that when you have the kind of minimal cap room the Jets do.  It also typically helps a team's ability to get someone they like over to the PS later.  If the Jets find a guy who they're convinced they want to keep around the whole year or longer, they won't hesitate, but those handful of players who will be coming and going throughout the season will wait.

30 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

This is a good point.  While there will still surely be some waiver moves happening today, as every team does that, when it comes to the bottom of the chart / roster bubble guys, there's definitely a benefit to keeping the younger guys for now.  Any veteran player who is on the opening day roster will have their full year's salary guaranteed, so like you said, teams will go with the rookies / young guys first, and then do a little more moving from there.  There's only that much more incentive to do things like that when you have the kind of minimal cap room the Jets do.  It also typically helps a team's ability to get someone they like over to the PS later.  If the Jets find a guy who they're convinced they want to keep around the whole year or longer, they won't hesitate, but those handful of players who will be coming and going throughout the season will wait.

the toughest part for these bubble kids is they make team, but really don't.  It takes 2 weeks to really sort out the roster. 

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

They need to fix this sh*t in the next CBA. Players that are not on the roster should not count against the cap. I know Belichick would ruin this somehow. 

Yup.  And I believe PS signings can start at 1PM.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

A bus load of TE's was seen traveling up 287 headed towards Florham Park.*

*only joking

Per Cimini, we did work out 3 TEs yesterday.  Jacobs and Leonhardt each have two seasons in the league.  Scheu was UDFA out of Vanderbilt this season.

Archived