Does Bryce Petty suck?

T0mShane

I keep seeing this repeated in various outlets as though it were fact, but every time I've seen Petty play this year, it's been generally positive stuff, other than the one awful pass in Game 3. Am I missing something, or is this just the parroted hate-speech from derp-blogs who are intent on rallying around the Hackenberg pick? 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked what I saw from him this preseason.  He needs to keep the gunslinger mentality because it allows him to play to his strengths.  The kid has a special arm and if he can continue to learn to harness it and put the ball in the right spots he can be on track to getting a shot at the starting gig.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I keep seeing this repeated in various outlets as though it were fact, but every time I've seen Petty play this year, it's been generally positive stuff, other than the one awful pass in Game 3. Am I missing something, or is this just the parroted hate-speech from derp-blogs who are intent on rallying around the Hackenberg pick? 

I like what I've seen from Petty right up until that worthless pile - Brandon Shell - almost got him killed.

I think Petty could become a legit starter - Brandon Shell should have been cut in my opinion, I haven't seen one good thing out of that kid and he has cement blocks for feet.

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

You also have to realize that the teammates Petty was playing with were also back-ups.

Of course. But there's a difference between playing well aginst backups running vanilla schemes in preseason, and doing it against more complex schemes with more talented personnel during the regular season.

Here are four points Maccagnan touched on in giving a progress report for where Petty is as he heads into his second season as a Jets and NFL signalcaller, along with a comment from QBs coach Kevin Patullo about the biggest part of Petty's adjustment from Baylor to the Jets:

1. Arm Strength

Maccagnan: "Bryce is a good athlete for his size, he’s got obviously very good size and stature. He has probably one of the strongest arms of all our quarterbacks in terms of his ability to throw the ball and physically make throws that other quarterbacks can’t make."

2. Intangibles

Maccagnan: "I think from an intangible standpoint, he is what we thought he was when we drafted him. He’s got a very good personality, he’s a very hard-working young man, he’s a very smart young man. He really, I think, has the work ethic and the commitment to hopefully fulfill some of his physical potential."

3. Adjustment from College to the Pros

Maccagnan: "We feel he’s progressed very well from where he was and the system he played in in college. A lot of people understood when we drafted him that there was going to be a bit of an adjustment to the NFL, an NFL system. But it's just the simple fact that he’s out there practicing, in the classroom, understanding things more from a system and decision-making standpoint."

Patullo: "Defensively, that's where there's a big game, between college and pro defenses. There's so much no-huddle, tempo and pressure on the defense. In college they just kind of have to line up and play, where at this level, even if you do any of that kind of stuff, the defensive players are so much more athletic and use so much more complex schemes. That’s where the big gap is, it’s just seeing everything and learning."

4. Prognosis for Year 2

Maccagnan: "We feel ability-wise, he can definitely be a quality No. 2 backup and the rest is kind of up to him. He has the physical ability to potentially be a starting-caliber quarterback, but he still has to go out there and do it on the field in preseason and kind of see where he’s at. But we're very excited about working with him and we do feel he has a bright future."

1 minute ago, mkajet01 said:

I'm thinking a Geno Smith fan started this thread LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I want Geno off the roster today. Keeping four QBs is stupid. Drafting Hack was stupid. Now we're here and Jets blog folks have determined that 1. You "need" to keep Geno because he's an "experienced" backup; 2. Petty is terrible because derp derp derp, but; 3. Hackenberg is a developmental prospect with a "high upside," despite less than zero evidence supporting (2) or (3), and not recognizing that there's significantly more evidence that Petty is at least the equal prospect to Hackenberg. 

It's all about being right on the interwebs. The majority of interweb scouts predicted Petty would be a bust in last year's draft.

Don't think any actual evidence to the contrary will sway them.

Tom Brady was a scrub until his 3rd SB. 

Experts, said Baylor guys are busts. Watch John grades camp on YouTube, he loved petty! I'm sold on petty

8 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Of course. But there's a difference between playing well aginst backups running vanilla schemes in preseason, and doing it against more complex schemes with more talented personnel during the regular season.

That's true - but I think most would agree, Petty has taken some positive steps this training camp & pre-season from where he was last year and that's all you can ask for is progress & improvement.

Just now, ARodJetsFan said:

That's true - but I think most would agree, Petty has taken some positive steps this training camp & pre-season from where he was last year and that's all you can ask for is Progress & improvement.

Absolutely. I wanted Geno as the backup because, while he is a crap QB, at least we know he can win games. Petty has definitely improved, but I don't know if he can win games.

3 minutes ago, mkajet01 said:

Experts, said Baylor guys are busts. Watch John grades camp on YouTube, he loved petty! I'm sold on petty

Well there were unknowns. He didn't run a huddle, call plays, read defenses, or drop back in college.

He checked all the boxes he could. Perfect amount of humility, and confidence, with a very likable personality. Size, arm and athleticism. 

This year he showed poise in the huddle, good footwork, pocket awareness, and stood tall and delivered the ball. Again he checked all the boxes he could.

Next we need to know if he can read real NFL defenses consistently. We'll find out. I can tell you if he can he is going to be a huge star. 

No, he doesn't suck but we also don't know how he'll do with starters and we haven't seen enough to determine whether he's definitely a possibility to lead the starters next year.

I don't love having four QBs but I think the second Petty is healthy and the coaching staff determines he could limp along at least as well as Geno then Geno gets traded or cut. 

I saw that video, he couldn't believe petty arm & fearlessness

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I want Geno off the roster today. Keeping four QBs is stupid. Drafting Hack was stupid. Now we're here and Jets blog folks have determined that 1. You "need" to keep Geno because he's an "experienced" backup; 2. Petty is terrible because derp derp derp, but; 3. Hackenberg is a developmental prospect with a "high upside," despite less than zero evidence supporting (2) or (3), and not recognizing that there's significantly more evidence that Petty is at least the equal prospect to Hackenberg. 

I think they are just being petty

Archived