Lets look at 2017

CanadaSteve

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sign Glennon if we can. Let him and Petty duke it out for starter. Hackenberg can battle for #2 and keep learning. Upgrade secondary. I'm sure we'll be drafting safeties and corners next year. Watch what happens when the very threat of a quarterback being able to throw it deep does to opposing defenses. 

Restructure Revis and move him to safety or cut him. We can pay a guy 2 mil/year to play cb the way he's playing it this year. 

The emergence of winters actually had me far more optimistic about our oline's future.

On 10/3/2016 at 10:34 AM, CanadaSteve said:

The whole concept about the veterans and the wasted money is hogwash.  Mac HAD to spend money to get this team reasonably competitive.  Last year was a fluke.

But when you look at next year, most of those contracts disappear.

David Harris: Thought we could get two more years, but his play has definitely regressed.  But he has no dead money next year, and saves $6.5 million in a cut.

Nick Mangold: His play is still reasonable, but it won't be long.  He could be restructured, but an outright cut saves $9 million

Brandon Marshall:  With the young depth at this position, he may not be needed, and he is not looking the same anymore.  Another $7.5 million

Darrelle Revis: While this will hurt, it might have to be done.  It will cost $8 million in dead money, but save $7 million as well.

Breno Giacomini:  Enough said.  $4.5 million

Sheldon Richardson: He can be cut with no dead money, but he might make interesting trade bait, especially with Watts going down.  With a contract that has no dead money, if we traded him we could use a pick to shore up another position AND save $8 million next year.

Marcus Gilchrist: While serviceable, it is another position that will need a better upgrade, so $5.3 million can be saved to do just that.

Ryan Clady: If he stays healthy and looks good, his $10 million will become a longer term deal.

Most of the big contracts will be gone.  The roster has some talent now, but it is still about two years away.  The key, as with every franchise, is the QB position.  I hope Mac does not shy away from drafting another QB if the opportunity arises.  If we do not get one, it won't matter if we have Von Miller talent at half the starting positions.

You are right on the money (no pun intended) and I hope the Jets release each and every one of these guys.Some of them are favorites of mine, but I love the team more thn ANY individual player and if they can't play anymore you have to ship them out. I think Maccagnan is on the right track and I think he has a plan. I don't think he has made ALL the right moves but time will tell if Hackenberg is in Paxton Lynch's class or if Bryce Petty can build on a solid preseason showing and take hold of the QB job. From the time Rex took over this team has drafted very badly and you can't afford to do that and remain a contender. Idzik and Tannenbaum knew NOTHING about personnel and that has been painfully obvious and Rex's desire to draft nothing but defense in the first round has proven a terrible decison as they got just two players of consequence in all those drafts. (Mo and Sheldon). That is an abysmal draft record and this team won't be quickly fixed.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Sign Glennon if we can. Let him and Petty duke it out for starter. Hackenberg can battle for #2 and keep learning. Upgrade secondary. I'm sure we'll be drafting safeties and corners next year. Watch what happens when the very threat of a quarterback being able to throw it deep does to opposing defenses. 

Restructure Revis and move him to safety or cut him. We can pay a guy 2 mil/year to play cb the way he's playing it this year. 

The emergence of winters actually had me far more optimistic about our oline's future.

It's crazy Winters had actually been playing and then he has a stupid penalty head butting Michael Bennett killing our drive and then gets a concussion 

On 10/3/2016 at 10:39 AM, dbatesman said:

Wow, so all we need to do is replace 8 starters, and we're golden? LETS GO BIG MACC

He is talking in terms of contracts and money saved by cutting these guys. Restructuring could also be an option for Mangold I think. The Jets won't really miss any of the others he names, including Harris who is one of my favorites but clearly has slowed to unreasonable level.

Just now, drdetroit said:

Or he could be Dak Prescott

Blow me

FU. Dak Prescott he will NOT be. Clemson is a running team and Watson is a read option QB AGAIN in the mold of Manziel and Manuel who ran similar offenses in college. Prescott ran more of a pro style offense at Mississippi State. So BLOW ME jerk.

On 10/3/2016 at 11:34 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

The team should hold onto Marshall and Mangold. Marshall can still play and Mangold is still quality, buildup the O-Line around Mangold before eventually finding his replacement.

There is no reason to get rid of Marshall. He still helps take a lot of pressure off of the QB. He’d be a young QB’s best friend along with Decker. Those two have to be kept while we continue to develop young guys behind them. Jalin Marshall, and Robbie Anderson clearly aren’t ready to contribute in a major way yet and both might be no better than good number 3’s for all we know. Devin Smith is still a wild card but who knows at this point.

I’d keep Revis to for the same reason I’d keep Marshall. I think he can still play at a more than acceptable level. I could understand why people would want him cut though.

Everything else I pretty much agree with.

Considering we are talking about 2017 and it is only 4 games into the season, they (including Peake) may very well be able to contribute in a major way.   We have another 12 games to find out.  

Let Fitz go. Let Geno Smith go.

Trade a 5th rounder for Jay Cutler.

Trade Sheldon Richardson for a 1st if he actually plays well later this year or for a group of lower picks (2nd rounders and below) if he doesn't.

Go back to becoming mostly a 3-4 team because those are the LB's we have drafted lately.

Move Revis to FS.

Keep all WR's as is.

Draft a running back for gods sakes.

If we feel a true franchise QB is available trade the farm to get him.

Cut David Harris, Skrine, Gilchrist depending on the cap implications.

Use at least one top 3 round pick on an olineman, maybe more.

Look to sign a decent tight end.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Trade Sheldon Richardson for a 1st if he actually plays well later this year or for a group of lower picks (2nd rounders and below) if he doesn't.

Go back to becoming mostly a 3-4 team because those are the LB's we have drafted lately.

Move Revis to FS.

Keep all WR's as is.

Who will play CB? We will be down to M.Williams as the #1 and Burris? as the #2. I think unless we sign a legit #1 FA CB and pay him close to Revis money, our secondary will be awful. Possibly worse than this year. 

Otherwise, I think a decent plan. 

Just now, PepPep said:

Who will play CB? We will be down to M.Williams as the #1 and Burris? as the #2. I think unless we sign a legit #1 FA CB and pay him close to Revis money, our secondary will be awful. Possibly worse than this year. 

Burris and FA, perhaps Dmitiri Patterson?

Hey we all know we are using our 1st rounder on a CB anyways.

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

You can always sign a couple scrubs for depth

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Move Revis to FS.

Keep all WR's as is.

What makes you think you can have Culter for a 5th? Just because they were dumb enough to trade Marshall for a 5th? And, is this really the guy you want? He has been on 2 teams and has failed to reach the promised land (or come close), but for the Jets he will? Is he better than Fitz? Yep. Is he good enough to take us all the way? I doubt it - he has the same damn tendency to make the stupid mistake just when you didn't need it - might as well get Sanchez back and keep the 5th. Not to mention Marshall hated Cutler - so are we going to move on from Marshall or just put up the the locker room nonsense.

I guess whatever drugs we are going to use to force Chicago to trade Culter for a 5th we are going to use to get someone to trade a 1st or 2 2nd's for a guy on his last year of his contract with off the field issues who is 1 failed test away from missing the season. Not too mention although he is a great athlete he hasn't played nearly as well as Mo - (I realize that he was on the F Tag, but we didn't have luck trading him).

Yeah, let's switch back to a 3-4 so our 3rd round pick from last year looks better. Of course, it isn't like we are stacked at OLB and with getting rid of Harris will be missing a big strong ILB. Lee is probably better suited as a MLB in a 4-3 as he is an ILB in a 3-4. But yeah, let's do it. I have zero problem moving on from Sheldon and trying to get something for him, but you have to be reasonable about expectations and you don't change your defense for 1 or 2 middle of the road players.

Draft a running back (you probably want a 3 round or better); let's face it, AP couldn't run behind this line. Also, the league is moving to (or already moved to) a passing league but let's blow a quality pick on someone we can likely pick up as a FA - after all, it isn't like we have a ton of holes to fill.

Yeah, lets trade the farm for a shot at a franchise QB. I posted a while back the odds of hitting on a #1 QB (everyone jumped on me as they thought I was suggesting we suck for it). Not only will we not have any picks to draft your OL, RB (or anything else). History has shown that you have a less than 30% of hitting on a quality starter. And, if you do, you are likely to suck for 2-3 more years. So lets such this year and 3 more for a 30% at a franchise QB. We might as well fire Mac and Bowles too, because if he go 4 years sucking, they are gone - so yeah, Mac is going to totally commit professional suicide for that.

Other than that, spot on....

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 10:38 AM, joewilly12 said:

4 games into the season and we are already talking about the draft and next season. 

My god what have I done being a Jets fan.

It literally always is wait until next year for us. I mean it is October 5 and our season is definitely over this year, and we are looking to cut dead contracts for next season already. Unreal.

Great (Original) post by the way

On 2016-10-03 at 10:38 AM, joewilly12 said:

4 games into the season and we are already talking about the draft and next season. 

My god what have I done being a Jets fan.

And yet you clicked on it....You didn't have to.

There was a lot of talk about signing all the vets and how bad the move was, how it was going to hurt our future, blah blah blah.

The post was to show that is not true.

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Considering we are talking about 2017 and it is only 4 games into the season, they (including Peake) may very well be able to contribute in a major way.   We have another 12 games to find out.  

Why would you want to get rid of Marshall though unless he looks done? Like you said though, I guess we'll find out more by the time the season is over how good some of the younger players are as well as how Marshall looks. 

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

What makes you think you can have Culter for a 5th? Just because they were dumb enough to trade Marshall for a 5th? And, is this really the guy you want? He has been on 2 teams and has failed to reach the promised land (or come close), but for the Jets he will? Is he better than Fitz? Yep. Is he good enough to take us all the way? I doubt it - he has the same damn tendency to make the stupid mistake just when you didn't need it - might as well get Sanchez back and keep the 5th. Not to mention Marshall hated Cutler - so are we going to move on from Marshall or just put up the the locker room nonsense.

I guess whatever drugs we are going to use to force Chicago to trade Culter for a 5th we are going to use to get someone to trade a 1st or 2 2nd's for a guy on his last year of his contract with off the field issues who is 1 failed test away from missing the season. Not too mention although he is a great athlete he hasn't played nearly as well as Mo - (I realize that he was on the F Tag, but we didn't have luck trading him).

Yeah, let's switch back to a 3-4 so our 3rd round pick from last year looks better. Of course, it isn't like we are stacked at OLB and with getting rid of Harris will be missing a big strong ILB. Lee is probably better suited as a MLB in a 4-3 as he is an ILB in a 3-4. But yeah, let's do it. I have zero problem moving on from Sheldon and trying to get something for him, but you have to be reasonable about expectations and you don't change your defense for 1 or 2 middle of the road players.

Draft a running back (you probably want a 3 round or better); let's face it, AP couldn't run behind this line. Also, the league is moving to (or already moved to) a passing league but let's blow a quality pick on someone we can likely pick up as a FA - after all, it isn't like we have a ton of holes to fill.

Yeah, lets trade the farm for a shot at a franchise QB. I posted a while back the odds of hitting on a #1 QB (everyone jumped on me as they thought I was suggesting we suck for it). Not only will we not have any picks to draft your OL, RB (or anything else). History has shown that you have a less than 30% of hitting on a quality starter. And, if you do, you are likely to suck for 2-3 more years. So lets such this year and 3 more for a 30% at a franchise QB. We might as well fire Mac and Bowles too, because if he go 4 years sucking, they are gone - so yeah, Mac is going to totally commit professional suicide for that.

Other than that, spot on....

My 5th comments was semi in jest due to Marshall but, He makes big coin, if they are going away from him.  How many other teams are going to be going after a guy like Cutler?

I've been calling for us to go to a 4-3 for years now because we had the best players to play a 4-3. We immediately draft mauldin and jenkins two 3-4 olbs and use a 1st on Lee, more of a 3-4 ILB.  See the problem? 

Yeah picking up fa RB's is great, ridley, robinson, etc RB's have such a short shelf life as a rule that going the fa route is suspect and our actual prospect list behind Powel is zilch,  Other teams grab late round RBs and find gems, we don't even try it seems.

Number 1?  Who said anything about that,.,,,oh you just did.  Most of the best Qb's in this league are high picks, if your strat is to just draft the next brady I'll take issue with that.

On October 3, 2016 at 10:34 AM, CanadaSteve said:

First off, this post by Rex-n-effect deserves to be read here:

The roster was in such an awful state after Idzik left that it's going to be a multi-year project to put together a viable team. You can't buy or draft at every position in one or two years and even if you could not all draft picks reach starter skill level right away. Macc couldn't just sit and spend the minimum until he can draft together a team. Woody wouldn't tolerate it, the fans wouldn't tolerate it and players wouldn't tolerate it. Players wouldn't come here or won't stay if the team is trash--

If you think about how much they had to cut out of the team--even starters--and how much rebuilding has already been done then it's hard to say Macc has done a poor job. You can look at several positions and say there is still work to do. I agree, I think everybody agrees, but that comes back to the inability to take a team from the broken and dysfunctional state of 2013/2014 to a playoff team in just two years. We didn't just need replacements at skill positions like a typical rebuild. We needed starters and depth almost everywhere. 

The whole concept about the veterans and the wasted money is hogwash.  Mac HAD to spend money to get this team reasonably competitive.  Last year was a fluke.

But when you look at next year, most of those contracts disappear.

David Harris: Thought we could get two more years, but his play has definitely regressed.  But he has no dead money next year, and saves $6.5 million in a cut.

Nick Mangold: His play is still reasonable, but it won't be long.  He could be restructured, but an outright cut saves $9 million

Brandon Marshall:  With the young depth at this position, he may not be needed, and he is not looking the same anymore.  Another $7.5 million

Darrelle Revis: While this will hurt, it might have to be done.  It will cost $8 million in dead money, but save $7 million as well.

Breno Giacomini:  Enough said.  $4.5 million

Sheldon Richardson: He can be cut with no dead money, but he might make interesting trade bait, especially with Watts going down.  With a contract that has no dead money, if we traded him we could use a pick to shore up another position AND save $8 million next year.

Marcus Gilchrist: While serviceable, it is another position that will need a better upgrade, so $5.3 million can be saved to do just that.

Ryan Clady: If he stays healthy and looks good, his $10 million will become a longer term deal.

Most of the big contracts will be gone.  The roster has some talent now, but it is still about two years away.  The key, as with every franchise, is the QB position.  I hope Mac does not shy away from drafting another QB if the opportunity arises.  If we do not get one, it won't matter if we have Von Miller talent at half the starting positions.

Did you not denigrate me w/ hurtful, malicious words of disdain just a fews days ago for suggesting they needed to trade Richardson ASAP?

I can't even.

On 10/3/2016 at 10:37 AM, UnitedWhofans said:

The fact hat he was looking at Kizer tells me that he is no averse to drafting another QB.

I mentioned this on another thread...he really quite literally word for word said that his philosophy is to draft a QB every single year and create a pipeline. He drafted Petty year 1, he drafted Hackenburg year two, he is probably going to draft a QB next year as well.

On 10/3/2016 at 10:39 AM, dbatesman said:

Wow, so all we need to do is replace 8 starters, and we're golden? LETS GO BIG MACC

Let me see if I have this correct. Following this season, those not under contract for next year, those in need of their existing one torn up & redone to justify keeping, or those who are still a ? or worse so we need an upgrade from from 2016's starters:

1. LT to replace (or redo) Clady, who will be due $13M not $10M next year (on top of the amortized amt from 2016). If brought back he will surely go on IR over the summer or by week 2 at the latest.
  2. RT unless we want to continue this water-treading or bank on Shell who only looked good in comparison to Hackenberg as a rookie. Lol, ok we need a RT.
  3. RG Winters is a FA.
  4. QB unless we're super lucky with Petty this year, in which case we just need a #2 since Hackenberg will only move up to #3 next year
  5. TE maybe/probably. 
  6. ILB cut Harris 
  7. CB1 (Revis isn't worth $16M, and right now not even the $10M we'd clear by cutting him early)
  8. CB2 M.Williams is fine depth, not a fine starter. Move Skrine back to NB where I heard he's awesome & stuff.
  9. FS Gilchrist isn't horrible but he was better last year. Or maybe the competition was worse. Anyway the OP says we should look into the $5.3M savings we'd recoup by cutting this guy we just picked up 2 years ago.
  10. SS Pryor isn't getting cut, but we'll need someone to take his place at starter before too long. I don't see him getting re-signed because he's not a coverage guy and Bowles is an expert on the defensive backfieahahahaha

This doesn't include cutting Brandon Marshall & Nick Mangold (with no replacement at center, so add one more to the above list). 

So easy peasy lemon squeezy. We'll only have 10, maybe 11 holes to fill, plus the absence of the most dynamic WR we've ever had (warts and all), who isn't even expensive. So two years in and all we need is half an offense (including a QB) and half a defense.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

Did you not denigrate me w/ hurtful, malicious words of disdain just a fews days ago for suggesting they needed to trade Richardson ASAP?

I can't even.

Um....I don't think so?  If I did, my apologies go out to you.  Think of me offering a big internet hug to rectify the situation....I hope:)

50 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Let me see if I have this correct. Following this season, those not under contract for next year, those in need of their existing one torn up & redone to justify keeping, or those who are still a ? or worse so we need an upgrade from from 2016's starters:

1. LT to replace (or redo) Clady, who will be due $13M not $10M next year (on top of the amortized amt from 2016). If brought back he will surely go on IR over the summer or by week 2 at the latest.
  2. RT unless we want to continue this water-treading or bank on Shell who only looked good in comparison to Hackenberg as a rookie. Lol, ok we need a RT.
  3. RG Winters is a FA.
  4. QB unless we're super lucky with Petty this year, in which case we just need a #2 since Hackenberg will only move up to #3 next year
  5. TE maybe/probably. 
  6. ILB cut Harris 
  7. CB1 (Revis isn't worth $16M, and right now not even the $10M we'd clear by cutting him early)
  8. CB2 M.Williams is fine depth, not a fine starter. Move Skrine back to NB where I heard he's awesome & stuff.
  9. FS Gilchrist isn't horrible but he was better last year. Or maybe the competition was worse. Anyway the OP says we should look into the $5.3M savings we'd recoup by cutting this guy we just picked up 2 years ago.
  10. SS Pryor isn't getting cut, but we'll need someone to take his place at starter before too long. I don't see him getting re-signed because he's not a coverage guy and Bowles is an expert on the defensive backfieahahahaha

This doesn't include cutting Brandon Marshall & Nick Mangold (with no replacement at center, so add one more to the above list). 

So easy peasy lemon squeezy. We'll only have 10, maybe 11 holes to fill, plus the absence of the most dynamic WR we've ever had (warts and all), who isn't even expensive. So two years in and all we need is half an offense (including a QB) and half a defense.

I think you are overstating.

Revis will move to FS and either Pryor or Glichrist will stay at SS.

Down to 8.

Burris, Williams, and Skrine will be the backfield in addition to any rookies you may see.

Down to 6.

Winters will be signed.

Down to 5.

OL will be the main problem to tackle in FA and the Draft. Includes the two tackles and center.

QB is in development like always.

ASJ will get a chance at TE

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think you are overstating.

Revis will move to FS and either Pryor or Glichrist will stay at SS.

Down to 8.

Burris, Williams, and Skrine will be the backfield in addition to any rookies you may see.

Down to 6.

Winters will be signed.

Down to 5.

OL will be the main problem to tackle in FA and the Draft. Includes the two tackles and center.

QB is in development like always.

ASJ will get a chance at TE

I am not overstating. I could have suggested many "easy" solutions and more when they took over. It's not some stroke of genius to spend like crazy on players who mostly aren't worth what they're getting as FAs.

Plus a $16M FS? Lol. That's brilliant.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

I am not overstating. I could have suggested many "easy" solutions and more when they took over. It's not some stroke of genius to spend like crazy on players who mostly aren't worth what they're getting as FAs.

Plus a $16M FS? Lol. That's brilliant.

Does the name Charles Woodson mean anything to you?

And if it wasnt a stroke of genius, why did the NFL give him an award for it?

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Does the name Charles Woodson mean anything to you?

And if it wasnt a stroke of genius, why did the NFL give him an award for it?

The NFL gives awards to itself for spending on its own product. Go figure. 

What about Charles Woodson? He was not a $16M safety.

On 10/3/2016 at 10:49 AM, southparkcpa said:

2 years of drafts under Mac and we have Williams playing well.  Top teams in the NFL dont have 1 player performing well in 2 drafts.

In 20 years I have yet to see us develop a late round pick to a really good player.  Chrebet and then im drawing a blank.  Im sure they are out there but 

this team is cursed.

Wayne like Snacks was a UDFA Fergy however was a 7th rd pick as was Ryan Young..

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The NFL gives awards to itself for spending on its own product. Go figure. 

What about Charles Woodson? He was not a $16M safety.

You're inferring that Maccagnan is the NFL. I dont think that's how it works.

Cost means nothing to me. He's going to be 16m either way. Let him be at a position where he is more productive.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

My 5th comments was semi in jest due to Marshall but, He makes big coin, if they are going away from him.  How many other teams are going to be going after a guy like Cutler?

I've been calling for us to go to a 4-3 for years now because we had the best players to play a 4-3. We immediately draft mauldin and jenkins two 3-4 olbs and use a 1st on Lee, more of a 3-4 ILB.  See the problem? 

Yeah picking up fa RB's is great, ridley, robinson, etc RB's have such a short shelf life as a rule that going the fa route is suspect and our actual prospect list behind Powel is zilch,  Other teams grab late round RBs and find gems, we don't even try it seems.

Number 1?  Who said anything about that,.,,,oh you just did.  Most of the best Qb's in this league are high picks, if your strat is to just draft the next brady I'll take issue with that.

I don't have a problem with switching to a 4-3 or staying at 3-4; I also don't have a problem moving on with Sheldon; you just don't do it IMO for the likes of Mauldin. I think Lee can be an effective MLB in a 4-3 with his size (or lack thereof and speed).

I was thinking of a later round RB or UDFA - Not sure I blow a 1st, 2nd on one and not sure there is a huge diff. between a 3rd RB and a 5th.

My bad, I meant 1st round, but likely if you are going to give up the store to get a QB - he is likely #1, #2 or at least a top 5/top 7 pick. Let's face it we are looking at drafting around 12-15 now. The only reason to give up the store would be to move to top 5 (or more likely 1 or 2). Even if we completely suck I cannot imagine hitting the top 5 with cleveland and other teams out there.

On 10/3/2016 at 9:49 AM, southparkcpa said:

2 years of drafts under Mac and we have Williams playing well.  Top teams in the NFL dont have 1 player performing well in 2 drafts.

In 20 years I have yet to see us develop a late round pick to a really good player.  Chrebet and then im drawing a blank.  Im sure they are out there but 

this team is cursed.

Enunwa?  6th rounder

Archived