The NY Jets should stand up and take note of what the Mets just did

ASH1962

4 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

5 years and 163 games and all they get is a participation trophy?

That's what you want the Jets to do?

Is a participation trophy different or the same as an asterisk trophy? Please show your work.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Maxman said:

LOL yet Girardi just did his best managing job ever this season. Which says a lot because he has won a World Series as a manager. 

And he has another one as a player.

Why did nobody hire Terry Collins for such a long time? Asking for a friend.

Coaching the next dynasty, but couldn't make the playoffs. Setting the bar high there.

6 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Coaching the next dynasty, but couldn't make the playoffs. Setting the bar high there.

You said:

All these Yankee fans who won't see another World Series until I have grandchildren are going to hate this thread. 

The point here is why would we emulate what the Mets did this season? It was a failure. They underperformed.

Listen I am not trying to bash the Mets, I was rooting for them and was having great conversations with Mets fans in the baseball forum. Just saying that the Yankees will win a World Series before the Mets do. Praising Collins is interesting, since he didn't get it done the last two years despite that amazing pitching staff.

Blasting Girardi is interesting since he did get it done as both a player and a manager.

4 hours ago, Lizard King said:

All these Yankee fans who won't see another World Series until I have grandchildren are going to hate this thread. 

Don't feel sorry for them.  Most of them have enough memories of WS wins to cherish for a lifetime.

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The yankees farm system is stacked and the Yankees have a front office that isn't cheap. The Mets are in better shape today, but you wasted 2 years of Degrom/Harvey/Matz/Noah with nothing to show for it. These young pitchers won't be around forever (injuries/free agency) and you don't have much youth on the offensive side of  the ball. Don't get too cocky over a couple of playoff appearances. In Yankee land, what the Mets "accomplished" the last 2 years would be considered failed seasons. 

I'd say a pennant is "something to show" for it, no?  I get that teams whose franchise was used to winning a WS on average once every 4 years wouldn't consider that a solid accomplishment, but most franchises do.  Talking the way you do, calling it a "failed season", makes YOU the cocky one, not us. 

Certainly it was a more impressive accomplishment than the back to back AFCCG's some people still throw around as meaning something in this forum.  Especially since the NFL operates on 1-game eliminations throughout the postseason (sometimes resulting in fluky results), whereas you really do have to be the better team to win a series in baseball.

The point here is why would we emulate what the Mets did this season? It was a failure. They underperformed.
Listen I am not trying to bash the Mets, I was rooting for them and was having great conversations with Mets fans in the baseball forum. Just saying that the Yankees will win a World Series before the Mets do. Praising Collins is interesting, since he didn't get it done the last two years despite that amazing pitching staff.
Blasting Girardi is interesting since he did get it done as both a player and a manager.

I'd say with the team they were running out they over performed. Something like 8 of the team on Wednesday weren't on the open day roster. We lost almost all of our rotation as well as Wright, Duda, Flores and Walker. It's a miracle we made the wild card.

1 minute ago, MetsJets1962 said:

I'd say with the team they were running out they over performed. Something like 8 of the team on Wednesday weren't on the open day roster. We lost almost all of our rotation as well as Wright, Duda, Flores and Walker. It's a miracle we made the wild card.

Thx. I didn't have the energy. Yankees fans will never admit when they suck. Worse than the Rangers.

I'd say a pennant is "something to show" for it, no?  I get that teams whose franchise was used to winning a WS on average once every 4 years wouldn't consider that a solid accomplishment, but most franchises do.  Talking the way you do, calling it a "failed season", makes YOU the cocky one, not us. 

Certainly it was a more impressive accomplishment than the back to back AFCCG's some people still throw around as meaning something in this forum.  Especially since the NFL operates on 1-game eliminations throughout the postseason (sometimes resulting in fluky results), whereas you really do have to be the better team to win a series in baseball.

Yankees celebrated last years wild card like it was a WS win. I personally didn't even consider our wildcard game as a post season game. Suppose it's all about standards.

6 minutes ago, MetsJets1962 said:

Yankees celebrated last years wild card like it was a WS win. I personally didn't even consider our wildcard game as a post season game. Suppose it's all about standards.

Lol come on now.

USATSI_9580828_ujvn3egq_klm2ewpn.jpg

gettyimages-490906280.jpg

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

The Mets took 5 years to smartly and patiently rebuild under a new general manager which has led to a platform for which they can compete for a world championship for 5 years.

That is what Jets fans should take away from the Mets.  They are in Year 5 Game 163.  We are in Year 2 Game 4.  Patience, people.  Patience.

SAR I

Really? So we should wait through another 3 drafts of supposed pass rushing DL men, 3rd and 4th round QB selections and just be happy getting eviscerated week in and week out? SAR this team is not even competitive with all of the talent assembled and you want to call this a rebuild? I call it a train wreck myself to be honest.

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

5 years and 163 games and all they get is a participation trophy?

That's what you want the Jets to do?

No. 

What I said was that the Mets primary accomplishment was to commit to a patient rebuild which, if executed correctly, would lead to a foundation of players and coaches that would give them a platform for a Championship run of around 5 years.  The Mets have accomplished this. 

That's what I want the Jets to emulate.  The Jets don't commit to a real rebuild.  We merely fire a tired coach and hope the new guy can create a spark for a few years before we repeat the sad process.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, MetsJets1962 said:

I mean the fans. I'm sure there were a couple of Mets players never even got involved in the celebrations

Gotcha. From what I saw, neither fan base really celebrated too excessively.

17 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Really? So we should wait through another 3 drafts of supposed pass rushing DL men, 3rd and 4th round QB selections and just be happy getting eviscerated week in and week out? SAR this team is not even competitive with all of the talent assembled and you want to call this a rebuild? I call it a train wreck myself to be honest.

Mets fans hated 2010 to 2014, wanted Alderson and Collins deported to Mexico.  They feel pretty good right now, they're a World Series contender thru 2019 or thereabouts.  The Red Sox did this, the Yankees are doing this, the Broncos didn't make the playoffs for 6 years before Elway, it's the way it works now.

We never do this.  We just cut the head coach, stupidly have a 10 win season, think we're win-now, and then suck the following year.  It happened with Groh, it happened with Edwards, it happened with Mangini, it happened with Ryan, now it's happened with Bowles.  17 seasons of yo-yo.  It's got to stop.

SAR I

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

There is something wrong with site functionality where instead of showing the image you imbedded it shows this "imagegif" message when posting from iOS devices.  It happens to me quite a lot.  Usually when I'm in bed on Saturday mornings.

Can you alert the tech staff?

SAR I

What are doing in bed with Jetnation ?

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

The Mets took 5 years to smartly and patiently rebuild under a new general manager which has led to a platform for which they can compete for a world championship for 5 years.

That is what Jets fans should take away from the Mets.  They are in Year 5 Game 163.  We are in Year 2 Game 4.  Patience, people.  Patience.

SAR I

Wow SAR references the Mets without killing them.

100% correct though -- stink, acquire young talent. Then get good and stay good. That's the idea.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Mets fans hated 2010 to 2014, wanted Alderson and Collins deported to Mexico.  They feel pretty good right now, they're a World Series contender thru 2019 or thereabouts.  The Red Sox did this, the Yankees are doing this, the Broncos didn't make the playoffs for 6 years before Elway, it's the way it works now.

We never do this.  We just cut the head coach, stupidly have a 10 win season, think we're win-now, and then suck the following year.  It happened with Groh, it happened with Edwards, it happened with Mangini, it happened with Ryan, now it's happened with Bowles.  17 seasons of yo-yo.  It's got to stop.

SAR I

+1

And who's the common denominator during that time frame...

Right now I would take a one game playoff run and getting shut out in that game vs what we're seeing now. Just like I preferred 2015 over 2014. Some of you who constantly say all or nothing at all and cry that we'll never win a SB in your lifetime. Well, that's too bad. I'll take a good season and Ws over bad football and a ton of Ls. Only one team wins it and that doesn't mean all the other teams are losers.

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Right now I would take a one game playoff run and getting shut out in that game vs what we're seeing now. Just like I preferred 2015 over 2014. Some of you who constantly say all or nothing at all and cry that we'll never win a SB in your lifetime. Well, that's too bad. I'll take a good season and Ws over bad football and a ton of Ls. Only one team wins it and that doesn't mean all the other teams are losers.

That's how i feel with the Knicks. After sucking for 13 of the last 15 years I don't care if Melo/Rose/Noah can bring us a title. I just want a competitive team to root for.

21 hours ago, AFJF said:

I'd rather they emulate a team who wins some playoff games.

LOL. Im a Met fan and I can't believe someone would want to emulate what they did the other night. They lost and it was typically frustrating to watch. The Jets have that down pat.

6 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

LOL. Im a Met fan and I can't believe someone would want to emulate what they did the other night. They lost and it was typically frustrating to watch. The Jets have that down pat.

Jets and Mets, very similar.

they don't actually draft their good players, they just pick 'bargains' in free agency.

That said, Terry Collins actually gets production out of his roster.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Terrible idea, no way. 

The object is to win a world championship, not win a few games and get buzzed in the parking lot.  If you want a few forgettable thrills go to an amusement park.  We want a Lombardi.

SAR I

Archived