Realistically, how many years until we can be competitive?

JetUp91

The fact that this team is so old and bad is one of the most difficult things to swallow. It's not like we're a young team going through growing pains with a bright future. This team is old and awful - plain and simple. There's only a couple of young players on this team that seem like they could have a bright future. Outside of that it's all bad. Even the Browns, who are the god damn laughing stock of the league year after year, are in better shape than us right now.

I think we're looking at one of the worst teams in football for the next couple of years. Somebody needs to help me out a little bit, because I see nothing good about this situation at all.

1 minute ago, Guilhermezmc said:

If we can draft a someone that can play QB, 3 to 4 years.

Crazy.. I'm never going to see this team win a god damn Super Bowl in my lifetime. Feel like we're constantly stuck in this "we'll be good in a few years" hole.

Not to be glib, but I'm not going to pretend that there is any light.  I've been in this thing 38 years  and I've always thought that I was young enough that I would see the Jets win a Super Bowl. That mathematically it had to happen at some point, that the stars would align, that we would get a quarterback at some point,  with the right  coach, and our time would come.  But we just go around and around and around and around and around and around and around....

always waiting for the next draft, the next piece, the next regime....

I remember when we had Brick at left tackle and Mangold at center; during that decade-those were our building blocks, no matter what happened we had those key positions nailed down and they would be there when we finally got our quarterback in our coach and everything came together, didn't have to worry about those pieces, they were set, just had to fill in around them. Now Brick is retired.  I think that really sums it up perfectly.  My hopelessness that is. My dark and complete hopelessness.

Woody is the problem... I suspect he directed Mac to do this competitive rebuild bullsh*t, and yes that has made the process both longer and harder than it needs to be.

if this was a real rebuild, now that we are out of the playoffs, Mac would be dealing assets.  So you trade everything that has draft pick value, and keep old talent that can't fetch anymore value in a mentoring capacity but play the young guys.

meanwhile you don't sign valued FAs every year and give up comp picks, and yes you have to take Idziks general scheme of shedding cap and pushing it to the future, and building through the draft, even if it means going 2-14

As far as how long it's going to take... well that all depends on how long it takes to find a franchise qb.

I doubt he is on our roster right now, so that means realistically the draft (FAs are hard).  So let's say three years after you've drafted him.  Most promising qb prospects are like Bortles in that they take awhile to gel, if at all, and you can't rush the process.

So 4 year horizon.... That's why it's ok to deal Decker/Marshall/Revis and your OL.

We were years away last year precisely bc we were in a good rebuild situation, then Macc borrowed from our future to pay high priced FAs in a stupid attempt to win a sb with a mercenary team backed by an average qb.  It didn't make any sense then, it makes less sense now that we see the consequences and the 2 year waste of time and lost draft picks we could have had.

the person that said the Browns are in a better situation than we are in is correct.  They are!  One year ahead to be precise.

Year to year is bs in the NFL.  That only works when you have a foundation and a franchise qb, or are so stupidly good in all phases that u can win with a Fitz like FA (see Denver)

6 hours ago, JetUp91 said:

The fact that this team is so old and bad is one of the most difficult things to swallow. It's not like we're a young team going through growing pains with a bright future. This team is old and awful - plain and simple. There's only a couple of young players on this team that seem like they could have a bright future. Outside of that it's all bad. Even the Browns, who are the god damn laughing stock of the league year after year, are in better shape than us right now.

I think we're looking at one of the worst teams in football for the next couple of years. Somebody needs to help me out a little bit, because I see nothing good about this situation at all.

Its called rebuilding.

3 hours ago, Hael said:

Woody is the problem... I suspect he directed Mac to do this competitive rebuild bullsh*t, and yes that has made the process both longer and harder than it needs to be.

if this was a real rebuild, now that we are out of the playoffs, Mac would be dealing assets.  So you trade everything that has draft pick value, and keep old talent that can't fetch anymore value in a mentoring capacity but play the young guys.

meanwhile you don't sign valued FAs every year and give up comp picks, and yes you have to take Idziks general scheme of shedding cap and pushing it to the future, and building through the draft, even if it means going 2-14

Why is it bullsh*t. The Yankees are doing it that way.

When we finally address the #1 problem, the offensive line. When you can't run the football, the line has to be revamped. If they don't see this as the major problem, we will never be competitive. 

I agree with this 100 percent our oline is a huge problem having 12 rushing attempts between 2 rbs is not how you win a football game.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Just now, bealeb319 said:

I agree with this 100 percent our oline is a huge problem having 12 rushing attempts between 2 rbs is not how you win a football game.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Last night was the 4th time in the last 2 games when we had 3rd and less than 2 and we passed the ball.Enough said. 

6 hours ago, David Harris said:

Not to be glib, but I'm not going to pretend that there is any light.  I've been in this thing 38 years  and I've always thought that I was young enough that I would see the Jets win a Super Bowl. That mathematically it had to happen at some point, that the stars would align, that we would get a quarterback at some point,  with the right  coach, and our time would come.  But we just go around and around and around and around and around and around and around....

always waiting for the next draft, the next piece, the next regime....

I remember when we had Brick at left tackle and Mangold at center; during that decade-those were our building blocks, no matter what happened we had those key positions nailed down and they would be there when we finally got our quarterback in our coach and everything came together, didn't have to worry about those pieces, they were set, just had to fill in around them. Now Brick is retired.  I think that really sums it up perfectly.  My hopelessness that is. My dark and complete hopelessness.

Same.  Instead of building a foundation on D or OL, we need to strike gold at QB.  I don't follow college football very closely but hopefully we bottom out this year and can draft a top QB.  That's basically the only foundation that matters in the NFL (not exactly true as we saw in Denver last year but those feel like more exceptional cases).

Archived